PDA

View Full Version : Catamounts Interm AD fires DC

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103111aaa.html

Cullowhee, N.C. - Fred Cantler, interim director of athletics at Western Carolina University, announced today that Matt Pawlowski is no longer serving as Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, effective Monday, October 31, 2011.

"I want to thank Matt Pawlowski for his service to Catamount athletics, the football program and our student-athletes," Cantler said. "Anyone who has been around Matt can attest to his passion for football and his competitive spirit. However, my evaluation of the status of the football program has led me to the conclusion that this change is in the best interest of the program."

Catamount head football coach Dennis Wagner announced that Assistant Coach Jay Hood will serve as interim defensive coordinator with Assistant Coach Mark Rhea assuming the role of Assistant Head Coach.

Hood, who came to WCU in March of 2011 as the linebackers coach, has served as a defensive coordinator at two previous institutions including Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., from 1999-2003 and most recently at Miami (OH) from 2007-08.

This comes a little late in the season but considering that opponents score on average 46 points against us, a needed change. Who knows what will happen the rest of this season...

*GAH missing I in interim

Mntneer
October 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103111aaa.html

This comes a little late in the season but considering that opponents score on average 46 points against us, a needed change. Who knows what will happen the rest of this season...

*GAH missing I in interim

Geez just sh**can Wagner already. Seems odd for the AD (interim even) to be firing individual members of the coaching staff at this point.

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Geez just sh**can Wagner already. Seems odd for the AD (interim even) to be firing individual members of the coaching staff at this point.

Well if the coach doesn't see a change is needed then the AD has to step in and suggest a change (or in this case make one for the coach). I think they really cannot fire Wagner due to the contract extension... Too much money to pay out and pay for a new coach next year as well.

Mntneer
October 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Well if the coach doesn't see a change is needed then the AD has to step in and suggest a change (or in this case make one for the coach). I think they really cannot fire Wagner due to the contract extension... Too much money to pay out and pay for a new coach next year as well.

Definitely a lot of money, but don't see how the program could move forward with Wagner in place. The firing of the AD and now the DC is a huge vote of no-confidence in him.

youwouldno
October 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM
Maybe they hope Wagner resigns and thus does not get paid the remainder of his contract?

biggie
October 31st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Most teams do wait until after playing App to change coaches, apparently a trend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Kind of strange for an AD to fire an assistant coach unless there is some wrongdoing.

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Kind of strange for an AD to fire an assistant coach unless there is some wrongdoing.

Yeah it isn't really normal but honestly it is a welcome change

catamount man
October 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Pawlowski gone is a breath of fresh air. I for one will not miss his stupid little tirades on the sidelines, cussing players out and yanking facemasks. When you're a good coaching staff, okay, that works. When your boss is 8-34 and still doing that and still refusing to take the blame for ANYTHING in post game comments...it looks silly.

Good riddance loudmouth!!!xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM

I am guessing. AD told the coach to fire him and the coach said no.

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
They better let go of Wagner too, he's just not a good coach.

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 01:26 PM
They better let go of Wagner too, he's just not a good coach.

I believe it is coming but for now they are waiting for the new AD.

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Time to drop football and concentrate on getting the gutter admission standards up. WCU is the pinnacle of sucking.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Well, I'd say but a new DC in, but give Wagner no more than a year or 2 ABSOLUTE maximum

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Time to drop football and concentrate on getting the gutter admission standards up. WCU is the pinnacle of sucking.

How does dropping football improve admission standards? Besides no matter how much you want, we are not dropping football

McNeese75
October 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
I am guessing. AD told the coach to fire him and the coach said no.

xlolx, probably said "Please" too :D

AppinATL
October 31st, 2011, 09:46 PM
Maybe they hope Wagner resigns and thus does not get paid the remainder of his contract?

Would you walk away from $400K or whatever it is they owe him? Especially knowing that you will probably never get another HC job again after this fiasco? I know it sounds bad, but I'd hunker down and make them fire my fat a$$ and cash those checks! And it may be a lot of money buy Western has to find a way to come up with it and get on with trying to pick up the pieces. They'll end up 1-10 this year, does anybody think they'll do any better next year and the year after? It's gotta be impossible to recruit any talent with a lame duck coach that's gonna be around two more years!

youwouldno
October 31st, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well Wagner might be able to get a decent FBS assistant job; didn't Kansas offer him a position at some point in the last year or two? Staying on in a horrible situation could hurt him more in the long run than moving on.