PDA

View Full Version : 49ers To Announce Naming of Football Field

WH49er
October 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205325281

The excitement continues to build for 49ers fans.

asumike83
October 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Spoiler alert: Judy Rose field! Boom. Done.

Seriously though, I think it will be a nice looking stadium. You'll have to weather the growing pains early but if you can do that, I'm all for another in-state football program, especially in my own back yard.

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Concord field (after the town it's in)

boonegoon
October 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I thought it was the infield at Lowe's motor speedway.

SpeedkingATL
October 31st, 2011, 12:52 PM
"Cornbread Field" after famous alum Cornbread Maxwell. Or maybe "Dale Earnhart Field" like everything else around Concord and North Charlotte.

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cam Newton field at Steve Smith stadium

WH49er
October 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM
You have to love the feeble attempts at humor from the Tweetsie U trolls. Your hard-ons for Charlotte continue.

Can't wait until you guys are over on the Sunbelt boards talking about your upcoming matchup North Texas or Troy. Should make for good reading material xcoffeex

When does Tarheel basketball start for you guys?

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM
No you guys have a heck of a player in Matt Johnson, and I'm bein serious

boonegoon
October 31st, 2011, 01:23 PM
You have to love the feeble attempts at humor from the Tweetsie U trolls. Your hard-ons for Charlotte continue.

Can't wait until you guys are over on the Sunbelt boards talking about your upcoming matchup North Texas or Troy. Should make for good reading material xcoffeex

When does Tarheel basketball start for you guys?

Come on man, some good-natured ribbing never hurt anyone. Happy Halloween!

WH49er
October 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Come on man, some good-natured ribbing never hurt anyone. Happy Halloween!

No worries, I was just expecting some new material from you guys. Here's to Uptown Cabaret Field @ University Hilton Stadium.

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
It's not like we can talk sports with you. You don't have a team. I will be here to make fun of you for losing to Campbell don't worry.

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Tar Heel basketball? I know 3 UNCC grads. They're all die hard Tarhole fans. Try wearing baby blue to an App game. You'll get heckled worse than if you wore a GaSo shirt.

App-a-latch-un
October 31st, 2011, 01:43 PM
and only 669 days till you play a game on it......xcoffeex

WH49er
October 31st, 2011, 01:55 PM
Tar Heel basketball? I know 3 UNCC grads. They're all die hard Tarhole fans. Try wearing baby blue to an App game. You'll get heckled worse than if you wore a GaSo shirt.

All the heckling? Is that why half the cornhole sets in Boone are half App and half Chapel Hill?

AppAlum2003
October 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Heard they were going to let the Asian Student Association name the field...

Can't wait to visit Super Happy Fun Dragon Great Fun Time Field!

49RFootballNow
October 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM
No you guys have a heck of a player in Matt Johnson, and I'm bein serious

I agree. He seems like the perfect QB for Coach Mullin's Option Offense.

It's not like we can talk sports with you. You don't have a team. I will be here to make fun of you for losing to Campbell don't worry.

...................exactly..................... Enjoy Tarheel Basketball Season Hole, y'all are ranked #1 and should have a great chance to get to the Final 4.

91Niner
October 31st, 2011, 02:19 PM

haha, yeah right.........even if that were true at KBS on game day (very debateble) it sure as hell isn't true anywhere else on the UNC-Tweetsie campus or any other UNC-T sports venues.......geez, the people I know who went there own more Tar Hole gear than Ap......not even close.

91Niner
October 31st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Concord field (after the town it's in)

Lie.

AppAlum2003
October 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM

haha, yeah right.........even if that were true at KBS on game day (very debateble) it sure as hell isn't true anywhere else on the UNC-Tweetsie campus or any other UNC-T sports venues.......geez, the people I know who went there own more Tar Hole gear than Ap......not even close.

Some of your best customers at Auto Bell?

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
All the heckling? Is that why half the cornhole sets in Boone are half App and half Chapel Hill?I haven't missed a home game in over 3 years and I have never seen a set of cornhole boards like that.

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM

Great player to get your program going with. And he'll have a whole year of preparation up there.

dgtw
October 31st, 2011, 03:28 PM
The 49ers should name their field for Bill Walsh.

Monarch Nation
October 31st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Your hard-ons for Charlotte continue.

If it continues more than 4 hours, see your doctor.

superman7515
October 31st, 2011, 10:29 PM
If it continues more than 4 hours, see your doctor.

Who hasn't had a long night or two with a Charlotte? Nothing wrong with that. If it lasts more than 4 hours, just call over a few more.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/442/part21am.gif

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
#Charlotte49ers football field to be called McColl-Richardson Field -- for contributions from Hugh McColl, Jerry Richardson

Proud to have 2 of the biggest business icons in Charlotte backing our program.

91Niner
November 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM
#Charlotte49ers football field to be called McColl-Richardson Field -- for contributions from Hugh McColl, Jerry Richardson

Proud to have 2 of the biggest business icons in Charlotte backing our program.

For those who don't know:

Jerry Richardson - Owner/Carolina Panthers
Hugh McColl - Retired CEO Bank of America

oh, yeah.........

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
That's the same Bank of America that's tanking right now, right? The same one that's getting ready to start charging $5 a month for using your freakin' debit card, right? Jerry and Hugh can have each other.

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
That's the same Bank of America that's tanking right now, right? The same one that's getting ready to start charging $5 a month for using your freakin' debit card, right? Jerry and Hugh can have each other.

Yes keeping trying to spin this to the negative manner that pleases you. McColl retired in 2001.

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Press Release

49ers Announce McColl-Richardson Field
Community Icons; Longtime Friends Combine for Football Naming Gift

Charlotte, N.C. — UNC Charlotte Chancellor Dr. Philip Dubois and Director of Athletics Judy Rose, today, announced the naming of the Charlotte 49ers football field at a press conference overlooking the on-campus stadium site. Thanks to the generous personal contributions of Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson – and the financial support of others who want to honor all that they have given their city – the Charlotte 49ers football field will be named McColl-Richardson Field.

“We have the architect of modern Charlotte and the architect of the Panthers NFL team joining forces on behalf of the university,” Dubois said. “Today’s announcement celebrates two community leaders whose names are synonymous with football in Charlotte and with the great progress this city has made over the last 30 years. The legacies of Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson are already firmly established across the Charlotte region. We are thrilled their names will be permanently tied to our university. ”

McColl, a banking industry pioneer who built Bank of America into one of this country’s largest and most important financial institutions and made Charlotte its headquarters, was instrumental in bringing the Carolina Panthers to Charlotte.

“Jerry and I have been close friends for decades. Football happens to have been an important and consistent component in our friendship,” McColl said. “Both of us saw the introduction of football at UNC Charlotte to be a unique and exciting opportunity for our great city to connect and bond even closer to its constituents. We are both happy to share our names and support with the university and athletic program as football becomes a reality.”

Richardson, the owner of the Carolina Panthers, is a true leader inside the NFL management ranks who recently was the lead owner in the successful collective bargaining agreement negotiations. He landed the Panthers in Charlotte in 1995 and has watched it grow from expansion team to Super Bowl participant in 2003.

“It is quite an honor to have my name associated with such a good friend and wonderful academic institution,” said Richardson. “Hugh and I both feel that UNC Charlotte is critical to the future of the Charlotte region. College football will be an important component in student life and will help the university create stronger community ties.”

“We are thrilled to make an announcement of this magnitude,” Rose said. “Mr. McColl and Mr. Richardson share what is special about Charlotte – a can-do attitude and a resilient spirit that has helped the city grow to the thriving force it is today -- and now these two have chosen to share in the vision of our university. We cannot thank them enough for their exceptional gift and cannot be more pleased to have their names on the 49ers football field.”

The Charlotte 49ers on-campus 15,000-seat stadium is currently under construction and will be completed in August of 2012, in time for the 49ers first recruiting class to begin practice. The 49ers will begin play in 2013 as an FCS independent.

“For the many players who have yet to play for our team. For the many fans who have yet to cheer for our team. For the many coaches who have yet to call one play — And for our students and alums and the many people who have worked so hard to see this dream realized – thank you,” said 49ers football coach Brad Lambert.

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Yes keeping trying to spin this to the negative manner that pleases you. McColl retired in 2001.

Hey, I'm trying, ok?

superman7515
November 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM

Bank of America isn't going to be charging $5 a month for using debit cards.

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Bank of America isn't going to be charging $5 a month for using debit cards.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-09-29/wall_street/30216918_1_debit-durbin-amendment-card-holders

49RFootballNow
November 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-09-29/wall_street/30216918_1_debit-durbin-amendment-card-holders

There's an article out today that says they and SunTrust have both decided to not charge the fee. Looks like the backlash was potent.

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
There's an article out today that says they and SunTrust have both decided to not charge the fee. Looks like the backlash was potent.

Haven't read that yet... was too busy reading EvilMilk.com

I'll probably go ahead and switch to SECU anyway. BofA service has gone down the last few years.

<Thread Successfully Derailed>

91Niner
November 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Why so quiet over here, haters?

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM

We're all off watching highlights of games our team has actually played. I'm about halfway through watching last weekend's game where my team took down the #1 team in the country.

How's your basketball team?

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM

Let's not antagonize people. I think the press conference and donors involved speak for themselves. We still have a long way to go.

49RFootballNow
November 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM
How's your basketball team?

Well we beat Wake Forest with a comfortable lead in one of those super-secret scrimages the NCAA lets you have before the regular season. Not that beating the Deacons is the accomplishment it used to be.

And your basketball team? How are they going to be this year?

AppAlum2003
November 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well we beat Wake Forest with a comfortable lead in one of those super-secret scrimages the NCAA lets you have before the regular season. Not that beating the Deacons is the accomplishment it used to be.

Picked 2nd in the SoCon North this year. Omar Carter was tabbed PreSeason SoCon player of the year.

49RFootballNow
November 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Pictures:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/01/2740671/charlotte-49ers-announce-mccoll.html

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM
The render looks an awful lot like Elon's stadium. Small and nice. I expect the same fan turn out.

49RFootballNow
November 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
The render looks an awful lot like Elon's stadium. Small and nice. I expect the same fan turn out.

Perhaps you should work on your Smack skills over on that Fisher Price My First Message Board that App St. runs on Delphi Forums. Come back when you're finally in your big boy underroos.

Here you go little fellow, have fun:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=appstate&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Fappstate%2Fmessages

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Perhaps you should work on your Smack skills over on that Fisher Price My First Message Board that App St. runs on Delphi Forums. Come back when you're finally in your big boy underroos.

Here you go little fellow, have fun:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=appstate&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Fappstate%2Fmessages

Maybe some of your students should work on their drinking skills before coming up the mountain to party. I'm sure this idiot lost the spitting contest too.

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/community/8070-uncc-student-plummets-three-stories

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe some of your students should work on their drinking skills before coming up the mountain to party. I'm sure this idiot lost the spitting contest too.

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/community/8070-uncc-student-plummets-three-stories

Ironic coming from one of the known mental midgets of AGS.

asumike83
November 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM

Yeah, Wake has taken a quick, steep decline. I really don't understand it, Gaudio always seemed to bring in loaded recruiting classes.

I am as excited about ASU hoops as I have been in a number of years. Omar Carter is the pre-season SoCon player of the year, we are returning 3 other starters and also getting back Isaac Butts, who is a huge presence for us in the middle that missed all of 2010 with injuries. We have some transfers coming in that I am very excited about too, G.J. Vilarino (Gonzaga) is expected to be a big contributor in the back court and Jamal Trice (JuCo by way of UConn) should also be a great compliment to Carter on the wing. At 6-10, 290 and 7-0, 260 respectively, Butts and Brian Okam (Rutgers transfer) will give us an inside presence we have never had, at least that I can recall.

We have another transfer, Jay Canty (Xavier) that will be eligible next season. Capel has his work to do with all these new faces but the talent is there to get a SoCon title or 2.

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ironic coming from one of the known mental midgets of AGS.

Uh...check my reputation points Mr. 21 posts....

Saint3333
November 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry to attempt to have a serious discussion about this, but anyone have insight to how much they contributed?

WH49er
November 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry to attempt to have a serious discussion about this, but anyone have insight to how much they contributed?

$2.5 million

Hooner49
November 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
This is great news for the city of Charlotte and the university. Both are business icons for the region.

Saint3333
November 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
$2.5 million

Each? That would be very generous of them, good work.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Good to see a Wofford alumnus's name on another team's stadium. We should play a game there

49RFootballNow
November 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Each? That would be very generous of them, good work.

$2.5 million together, but still a nice gift.

Hooner49
November 2nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Good to see a Wofford alumnus's name on another team's stadium. We should play a game there

Nice.

gasoutherneagle
November 2nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I haven't bothered reading the previous 3 pages.

How bout: WHO-GIVES-A-F--- STADIUM AT NOT-GONNA-WIN-SH-- FIELD

HAY-OH!!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

49RFootballNow
November 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM

HAY-OH!!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Perhaps you need to take lessons from Apphole's weak attempts at smack. At least he tries to be clever.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Nice.

alumnus's....there's no red squiggly under the word so I'm assuming I did not falter just now. try again

Apphole
November 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Perhaps you need to take lessons from Apphole's weak attempts at smack. At least he tries to be clever.

Hey that looks good to me. Obnoxious yet true. I like it

asumike83
November 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
alumnus's....there's no red squiggly under the word so I'm assuming I did not falter just now. try again

Not to side with the guy who is playing grammar police on one of the few people not bashing his school in this thread, but it should have just been "alumnus' name". I could care less about grammar on a message board though, except in an ironic case where someone is calling somebody else stupid while butchering the sentence they are using to do it.

To your original point, it would be pretty cool if Wofford got a game there since the field is being named after Jerry. Something tells me he could pull a string or two to make that happen!

91Niner
November 2nd, 2011, 09:19 PM

Wow, really? xeyebrowxA freakin' Ga. Southern fan actually insinuating that no one will care about Charlotte's team......really Ga Southern???.............xlolxxcrazyx

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
91 must be confusing Georgia Southern with Georgia State...

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

dgtw
November 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Not to take siders, but Georgia southern fans have said on here their program is swallowed up in the media coverage of the Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets. Its pretty much the same next door if you aren't Alabama or Auburn.

91Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM

Nope, I wasn't. I'm sorry I live in a world that involves more than decades old FCS championships.

Saint3333
November 3rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Nope, I wasn't. I'm sorry I live in a world that involves more than decades old FCS championships.

Talk about throwing stones in a glass house. What has UNCC done since the 70's?

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM

It's comments like these that make me sure that UNCC football will never get off the ground. GaSo is one of the most nationally renowned programs at OUR level. They have 4x the fans of UNC-Charlotte and I'm sure they get more media coverage in Atlanta than UNCC doen in Charlotte. It's just like when my UNCC friend gave me so much ***** for losing to Wofford. He was saying that App must suck pretty bad if they can't even beat this team that he's never heard of. It's going to take UNCC 5-7 years of solid recruiting to even compete with a team of that caliber. Not to say App fans aren't arrogant, but UNCC fans are so ignorant to go along with their arrogance they are going to ***** themselves when they can't beat any of the teams that they've always scoffed and ridiculed. There's already been some humble pie dealt when they were rejected by the SoCon and Big South, but the delusions of the ignorant kept them confident. The girl that was too pretty to be asked to prom is still a cocky as ever, scoffing the biggest and best names in FCS football before they even take the field. Over under on the amount of losses it takes in 2013 for reality to sit in: 5

NLP
November 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Most of us think of FCS as the Special Olympics of football so excuse us if we don't really care what you people think.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Most of us think of FCS as the Special Olympics of football so excuse us if we don't really care what you people think.

xsmileyclapx

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Welcome to retardville then, 49ers. Thanks for taking our place.

AppAlum2003
November 3rd, 2011, 10:46 AM

Great first post on AGS... please continue!

Quote above is reason #386 why "decent" posters of UNCC will continue to have to deal with getting crap from the rest of us.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Charlotte will be an afterthought once they reach the FBS. No conference outside of the Sunbelt will want them and I doubt CUSA would take them before App State. They wouldn't be able to succeed at the FCS level.

AppChicago
November 3rd, 2011, 11:02 AM

You've been lurking for nearly two years for that masterpiece?

It's like that creepy bum who's been sitting in the corner of the bar for years stands up, reeking of cheap rum and his own fecal matter, just to say, "Just so's all of you know, this bar SUCKS!"

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Charlotte will be an afterthought once they reach the FBS. No conference outside of the Sunbelt will want them and I doubt CUSA would take them before App State. They wouldn't be able to succeed at the FCS level.

IF they reach FBS. After 5 or so losing FCS seasons their attendance will decline as the start up hype subsides. Being 20 miles from a major media market they have 0 stake in while struggling to do well in the FCS because of their lack of history and a conference isn't exactly the most desirable situation for their invite. And with App adding to the list of other FBS schools in the state, it's looking bleak for the niners.

91Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
It's comments like these that make me sure that UNCC football will never get off the ground. GaSo is one of the most nationally renowned programs at OUR level. They have 4x the fans of UNC-Charlotte and I'm sure they get more media coverage in Atlanta than UNCC doen in Charlotte. It's just like when my UNCC friend gave me so much ***** for losing to Wofford. He was saying that App must suck pretty bad if they can't even beat this team that he's never heard of. It's going to take UNCC 5-7 years of solid recruiting to even compete with a team of that caliber. Not to say App fans aren't arrogant, but UNCC fans are so ignorant to go along with their arrogance they are going to ***** themselves when they can't beat any of the teams that they've always scoffed and ridiculed. There's already been some humble pie dealt when they were rejected by the SoCon and Big South, but the delusions of the ignorant kept them confident. The girl that was too pretty to be asked to prom is still a cocky as ever, scoffing the biggest and best names in FCS football before they even take the field. Over under on the amount of losses it takes in 2013 for reality to sit in: 5

Typical BS response from you. Besides, being wrong about the GSU/Charlotte comparisons my post was in reply to the GSU shot at our stadium name.......My reply was tame compared to that post.....get over yourselves.

Mountaineer#96
November 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM

Wow and the true colors eventually run through..............

eaglemachine
November 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;1711356]I agree. He seems like the perfect QB for Coach Mullin's Option Offense.

Do you know what type of option you guys are planning to run? Similar to Georgia Southern?

49RFootballNow
November 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM

Do you know what type of option you guys are planning to run? Similar to Georgia Southern?

Yes, I know this. Just to keep things straight I am not the Niner fan talking smack about Georgia Southern.

eaglemachine
November 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yes, I know this. Just to keep things straight I am not the Niner fan talking smack about Georgia Southern.

I did not take it as smack. I was just trying to find out about your offense. So what formation will you be running? Georgia Southern has you on our schedule and you mentioned an option offense so now I am interested :)

Monarch Nation
November 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM

What a stupid thing to say.

I've got an idea, why don't you scrap the building of your FCS stadium since you feel it is a Special Olympics venue and simply rent the Charlotte Panther's stadium. Then all 500 of you can go to the games in that cavern. That way you can exactly mirror Ga. State and all of their success.

cbarrier90
November 3rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
I did not take it as smack. I was just trying to find out about your offense. So what formation will you be running? Georgia Southern has you on our schedule and you mentioned an option offense so now I am interested :)

Mullen was at WVU during Pat White's tenure, so if I had to guess, Charlotte will run a spread option offense similar to Rich Rod and that one school in the SoCon...

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mullen was at WVU during Pat White's tenure, so if I had to guess, Charlotte will run a spread option offense similar to Rich Rod and that one school in the SoCon...
Well they made war with the biggest FCS powerhouse in an attempt to get people to pay attention to them. Might as well model their offense after us too. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
IF they reach FBS. After 5 or so losing FCS seasons their attendance will decline as the start up hype subsides. Being 20 miles from a major media market they have 0 stake in while struggling to do well in the FCS because of their lack of history and a conference isn't exactly the most desirable situation for their invite. And with App adding to the list of other FBS schools in the state, it's looking bleak for the niners.

You App people are funny.

I give App plenty of credit for doing what they have done. But come on guys...

Go ahead take a shot at our stadium, history, media market and what ever else.

Here are the facts:
We are making football happen in the worst economic climate in generations. You just happend upon the same FCS team your daddy had, try building something out of nothing then get back to us.

We have the backing of Charlotte business leaders and donors. I am just willing to bet there is a little more money in Charlotte than Boone.

We have access to a large media market who at various times in our history embraces us and other times not so much. This tends to happen in a large city. Could it be that lack of football was having a negative impact on the media market????

We have top notch facilities in all other sports and win consistently in other sports.

Our basketball, while having a down past couple seasons, is returning and even with less than stellar recent seasons we still manage to win our share of games against top 25 teams.
Basketball Attendence:
87th. Charlotte 14 games 84,968 total 6,069 average
For comparisson:Well I looked for App but they didn't make the top 100 - so either UNC Chapel Hill games were on EVERY night you all had a game OR App people don't care about other sports??? I am sure that is attractive to other conferences. In fact somehow no one will show up for our football games according to you all but we already have more people coming to see our basketball games in a season where we were god awful than you guys could manage in basketball. Hmmm interesing because overall football is more popular than basketball.

Our stadium, aside from being brand new, already has a budgeted expansion in place. Having Charlotte business and money behind certainly helps.

We hired coaches with BCS experience and are already paying them top FCS money. Why would we hire an all BCS staff?? Hmmmmm

We have pre-existing relationships with both CUSA and schools currently in the Big East and infact the ONLY reason we are not still in CUSA or in the Big East was we didn't have football. That is being addressed.

We have confirmed contact from numerous other conferences who do find our media market very attractive regardless of what you all think. I also love how you take a shot at the 20 miles, it is actually 9.6 miles from campus to center city. Even if it was 20 miles that would still be closer than anything App has.

We declined the FCS conferences just as much as they declined us. We said no to all sports - they said no to football only. Why would we agree to all sports if the climate of conferences are still in flux. That would just be stupid!

Even your leadership mentioned that there are a host of schools that are stronger together than apart and should work together to move up. - directly mentioning programs being built. So you might need to get used to us - either in FCS or FBS with you.

Just keep on with the smart *** comments, the back handed compliments and hate. We heard it for years that we couldn't have a team, then we heard that the money wasn't there, then we heard we couldn't build a stadium, now we hear well that is nice but no one will come. So just keep on saying whatever you want and we will keep proving everyone wrong.

The last thing I will share is that we both fight the same battles against assholes in Chapel Hill. We should be fighting them together. I get that App is a little concerned about us. You can say you aren't but this thread is 8 pages long and every Charlotte thing is responded to by an App person so obviously there is something to that. In the end though we both get screwed by baby blue and their quest to keep all of us down. They did their best to derail our football. Just a little food for thought if you all can get enough oxygen to your brain up in the higher elevations of Boone.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Way to stay classy. State gets beat up time and time again yet we havent said a thing in this matter. A lot of you guys have some real self-esteem issues.

We can only hope that UNCC fans are just as quiet when their beatings begin. It's real easy to run your mouth when you have no team

AppAlum2003
November 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM

Here are the facts:
We are making football happen in the worst economic climate in generations. You just happend upon the same FCS team your daddy had, try building something out of nothing then get back to us.

We have the backing of Charlotte business leaders and donors. I am just willing to bet there is a little more money in Charlotte than Boone.

We have access to a large media market who at various times in our history embraces us and other times not so much. This tends to happen in a large city. Could it be that lack of football was having a negative impact on the media market????

We have top notch facilities in all other sports and win consistently in other sports.

Our basketball, while having a down past couple seasons, is returning and even with less than stellar recent seasons we still manage to win our share of games against top 25 teams.
Basketball Attendence:
For comparisson:Well I looked for App but they didn't make the top 100 - so either UNC Chapel Hill games were on EVERY night you all had a game OR App people don't care about other sports??? I am sure that is attractive to other conferences. In fact somehow no one will show up for our football games according to you all but we already have more people coming to see our basketball games in a season where we were god awful than you guys could manage in basketball. Hmmm interesing because overall football is more popular than basketball.

Our stadium, aside from being brand new, already has a budgeted expansion in place. Having Charlotte business and money behind certainly helps.

We hired coaches with BCS experience and are already paying them top FCS money. Why would we hire an all BCS staff?? Hmmmmm

We have pre-existing relationships with both CUSA and schools currently in the Big East and infact the ONLY reason we are not still in CUSA or in the Big East was we didn't have football. That is being addressed.

We have confirmed contact from numerous other conferences who do find our media market very attractive regardless of what you all think. I also love how you take a shot at the 20 miles, it is actually 9.6 miles from campus to center city. Even if it was 20 miles that would still be closer than anything App has.

We declined the FCS conferences just as much as they declined us. We said no to all sports - they said no to football only. Why would we agree to all sports if the climate of conferences are still in flux. That would just be stupid!

Even your leadership mentioned that there are a host of schools that are stronger together than apart and should work together to move up. - directly mentioning programs being built. So you might need to get used to us - either in FCS or FBS with you.

Just keep on with the smart *** comments, the back handed compliments and hate. We heard it for years that we couldn't have a team, then we heard that the money wasn't there, then we heard we couldn't build a stadium, now we hear well that is nice but no one will come. So just keep on saying whatever you want and we will keep proving everyone wrong.

The last thing I will share is that we both fight the same battles against assholes in Chapel Hill. We should be fighting them together. I get that App is a little concerned about us. You can say you aren't but this thread is 8 pages long and every Charlotte thing is responded to by an App person so obviously there is something to that. In the end though we both get screwed by baby blue and their quest to keep all of us down. They did their best to derail our football. Just a little food for thought if you all can get enough oxygen to your brain up in the higher elevations of Boone.

UNCC... the Tim Tebow of college football!

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
UNCC... the Tim Tebow of college football!

What a solid rebuttal - bravo.

91Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM

Here are the facts:

Basketball Attendence:

Hall of Fame Post.........nicely done.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM

Here are the facts:
We are making football happen in the worst economic climate in generations. You just happened upon the same FCS team your daddy had, try building something out of nothing then get back to us.

Basketball Attendance:
For comparison:Well I looked for App but they didn't make the top 100 - so either UNC Chapel Hill games were on EVERY night you all had a game OR App people don't care about other sports??? I am sure that is attractive to other conferences. In fact somehow no one will show up for our football games according to you all but we already have more people coming to see our basketball games in a season where we were god awful than you guys could manage in basketball. Hmmm interesting because overall football is more popular than basketball.

Believe it or not, App fans live outside of Boone. I would love to form an alliance against the Holes though. Your response is a rare ray of light from the UNCC camp. If the rest of your brood was as matter-of-fact as you and didn't concentrate and talking about how much App sucks, I would be 100% alright with your fan base. Time will tell if your football program will take the lackluster turn of your BBall team or if it will flourish. I hope you keep posting on AGS and that your fellow 49ers will try to emulate you argumentation style.

cbarrier90
November 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
What do you mean "You App people?" Apphole is the resident App troll here and he wears that badge with pride. Plenty of ASU fans here are very knowledgable about football and the FCS and would love nothing more than to chat football with you fine Niner folks. Welcome to the board.

It's great that you have lots of deep-pocketed donors, a BCS staff, relationships with C-USA schools and a giant market and all, but the attitude that the FCS is just a JV league and that it is merely a stepping stone to greener pastures is why you have UNCC threads 16 pages long.

Pay the league and its fans some respect, and you will receive some respect in return.

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
We can only hope that UNCC fans are just as quiet when their beatings begin. It's real easy to run your mouth when you have no team

What is crazy is we are defending not our team - but our program. It would be far easier to argue over a team. I can take my lumps when it comes to on the field performance. I won't stay quiet when people are taking shots at our right to have a team, the level of support we have thus far seen or anything else related to the establishment of football at Charlotte.

AppAlum2003
November 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
What a solid rebuttal - bravo.

Not going to argue with you because most of what you said is either correct or opinion that can't be proved "wrong." I wish the UNCC program the best of luck. Just not a big fan of a lot of the crowing before taking a snap.

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
What do you mean "You App people?" Apphole is the resident App troll here and he wears that badge with pride. Plenty of ASU fans here are very knowledgable about football and the FCS and would love nothing more than to chat football with you fine Niner folks. Welcome to the board.

It's great that you have lots of deep-pocketed donors, a BCS staff, relationships with C-USA schools and a giant and all, but the attitude that the FCS is just a JV league and that it is merely a stepping stone to greener pastures is why you have UNCC threads 16 pages long.

Pay the league and its fans some respect, and you will receive some respect in return.

Thanks! I have run accross my share of App people that are anti everything Charlotte so perhaps that got the best of me.

As for FCS as a stepping stone, I think you have to see that a huge part of the reason we are getting football is because lack of football has had a very negative impact to our athletic department. Our AD has said as much. Having been in CUSA most of us see football as a way to get back to where we were. It isn't a knock on FCS at all. In fact the thought of actually having a playoff is very exciting to me. The fact though is that in our market, where we already struggle at times, FCS long term is not going to cut it. Our donor base is already upset about losing the CUSA level of competition and the prospect of losing the Xavier and Temples of the A10 would also have a negative impact on our donors.

We are in a tough spot really. We want to play high Division 1 basketball (where we were) while letting our FCS football program mature - the problem is we might not get that option. One or the other will most likely have to give. Just because we all want it to be option 1 and get back to high level basketball doesn't mean we don't recognize or appreciate FCS football. We are just in a unique situation given our past conference affiliations, market, donor base and brand new football.

gasoutherneagle
November 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I was gonna jump back in here and start beating Niner heads on the barroom wall. xtroublex Because, I was just trolling for lack of something better to do. But, seeing how so many Appy fans have jumped in and started pounding on them in my defense,xthumbsupx I'm just gonna keep on reading. Thanks guys, 'nough said... movin' on. xcoffeex

cbarrier90
November 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks! I have run accross my share of App people that are anti everything Charlotte so perhaps that got the best of me.

As for FCS as a stepping stone, I think you have to see that a huge part of the reason we are getting football is because lack of football has had a very negative impact to our athletic department. Our AD has said as much. Having been in CUSA most of us see football as a way to get back to where we were. It isn't a knock on FCS at all. In fact the thought of actually having a playoff is very exciting to me. The fact though is that in our market, where we already struggle at times, FCS long term is not going to cut it.

I disagree. The fact of the matter is that North Carolina is an ACC college basketball state, so unless your school is located in the Triangle, it's very difficult to build up a solid fanbase, even when your school wins consistently. Heck, even when App made a run to the SoCon tournament final in 2009, the attendance in Boone only averaged about 2500-3000.

Consequently, I think Joe Public in the state of North Carolina wants to have a local college football team it can rally around, which is the major reason why I think App's run from 2005-07 rocketed the football program to where it is today. IMO, the state of NC wanted a "winner" in college football, so App became the "football school" in the college basketball state. ECU also has a solid program that recently won a C-USA title in football and I believe leads the conference in attendance. NC State looked like it might finally turn the corner until Tom O'Brien stupidly let Russell Wilson walk.

The point is, Joe Public is never going to latch on to Tar Heel football or Duke football because a majority of fans really only recognize powder and royal blue on the hardwood. If Charlotte wants to make a splash, it could do so much more easily with a powerhouse FCS program than a basketball program trying to fit in amongst ACC powerhouses. I believe the market, especially with NC college football being in a down year, would be extremely receptive.

Again, just an outside observer's two cents. Flame away...

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM

It's great that you have lots of deep-pocketed donors, a BCS staff, relationships with C-USA schools and a giant market and all, but the attitude that the FCS is just a JV league and that it is merely a stepping stone to greener pastures is why you have UNCC threads 16 pages long.

I know you're new here, but perhaps your characterizing me based only on my banter with UNCC fans. I'm not always a troll and I talk X's and O's all the time

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM

I know you're new here, but perhaps your characterizing me based only on my banter with UNCC fans. I'm not always a troll and I talk X's and O's all the time

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
I disagree. The fact of the matter is that North Carolina is an ACC college basketball state, so unless your school is located in the Triangle, it's very difficult to build up a solid fanbase, even when your school wins consistently. Heck, even when App made a run to the SoCon tournament final in 2009, the attendance in Boone only averaged about 2500-3000.

Consequently, I think Joe Public in the state of North Carolina wants to have a local college football team it can rally around, which is the major reason why I think App's run from 2005-07 rocketed the football program to where it is today. IMO, the state of NC wanted a "winner" in college football, so App became the "football school" in the college basketball state. ECU also has a solid program that recently won a C-USA title in football and I believe leads the conference in attendance. NC State looked like it might finally turn the corner until Tom O'Brien stupidly let Russell Wilson walk.

The point is, Joe Public is never going to latch on to Tar Heel football or Duke football because a majority of fans really only recognize powder and royal blue on the hardwood. If Charlotte wants to make a splash, it could do so much more easily with a powerhouse FCS program than a basketball program trying to fit in amongst ACC powerhouses. I believe the market, especially with NC college football being in a down year, would be extremely receptive.

I hear what you are saying and I do agree that the state wants a winner. Here is the catch though. The ONLY time we have gotten close to decent coverage in our own city (outside of the late 70s) is when we are winning CUSA on a regular basis against the likes of Looserville, Sincy and Marquette. If we could play that level of basketball and play FCS football it would be a no brainer and I would be perfectly happy. The problem is that doesn't look like it will happen. Which means either we have to shoot for the stars and get to FBS in a hurry or drop our basketball down. I know, I know our basketball hasn't done squat in recent years but we are talking donors and supporters who expect us to get back to where we were. So that is the catch - going all sports into an FCS conference would possibly be a killer to our basketball program.

I think in the end if we have to take all sports we will because football costs too much $ and the playoff road is too difficult to stay independent for too long. With that said you can't fault us for trying our damnest to find a solution that works out for both football and basketball. If Charlotte vs. Xavier (in the top 15) gets a little press coverage, Charlotte vs. ODU or VCU at halton arena would not even register in our media. Not a knock on them, but is just a fact of where we are located and who we compete against for media coverage. People that grow up Carolina and Duke fans aren't impressed when you beat solid teams. You have to beat ranked teams - consistently.

I talked to our AD just a few weeks ago and she said she is in talks with conferences accross the board - FCS/FBS and BCS. Who knows where we land - but if she can find a FBS/BCS solution it isn't because we don't believe in FCS as a quality level of play. I have said I can see dominoes falling in our favor that land us in the Big East to forming an all new FBS league with the likes of App, to landing all sports in the CAA. Who knows....

NormChar
November 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM

Wow and the true colors eventually run through..............

Great first post on AGS... please continue!

Quote above is reason #386 why "decent" posters of UNCC will continue to have to deal with getting crap from the rest of us.

You've been lurking for nearly two years for that masterpiece?

It's like that creepy bum who's been sitting in the corner of the bar for years stands up, reeking of cheap rum and his own fecal matter, just to say, "Just so's all of you know, this bar SUCKS!"

You do know that since your program is pushing for FBS it makes all of your comments lose credibility, right?

AppAlum2003
November 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
You do know that since your program is pushing for FBS it makes all of your comments lose credibility, right?

So you're equating ASU's Feasibility Study and goals of moving to FBS to someone calling FCS the "Special Olympics of football"? Really?....

Really??

Saint3333
November 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
All BS aside ASU, UNCC, and ECU could actually help each other. It would be nice to join a conference with regional potential rivals. The ACC teams will always try to keep us down, but with growing fanbases and loyalties to our respective schools we could steal some of that market share away.

AppChicago
November 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM

Another sleeper awakens, spouting nonsense.

First, not every App fan is thrilled with the move, and most of us would rather stay put than end up in, say, the Sun Belt. Second, even if we were all on board, it wouldn't be because there's anything WRONG with the FCS. It would be because we feel that the program is ready to move up to the bigs.

Huge difference between those thoughts and homeboy's claptrap

NormChar
November 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
So you're equating ASU's Feasibility Study and goals of moving to FBS to someone calling FCS the "Special Olympics of football"? Really?....

Really??

It's a message board. It's called hyperbole. The bottom line is we eventually want to be FBS. Now it appears ASU does too. We're in the same boat.

NormChar
November 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6215/6310103898_d34dd1f27d_m.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6040/6310043956_df9ef89517.jpg

First pic is of the Center City campus. Which is, well...0.0 miles from downtown. Next is a map showing Center City being 8 miles from the main campus. Nice try though.

WH49er
November 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
First pic is of the Center City campus. Which is, well...0.0 miles from downtown. Next is a map showing Center City being 8 miles from the main campus. Nice try though.

I wouldn't waste my time man, he will ignore the facts despite how many you provide.

Luckily he doesn't represent the majority of App fans on this board or in general.

Mr. Bojangles
November 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
All BS aside ASU, UNCC, and ECU could actually help each other. It would be nice to join a conference with regional potential rivals. The ACC teams will always try to keep us down, but with growing fanbases and loyalties to our respective schools we could steal some of that market share away.

I agree with this. It makes sense that all 3 of these schools should be in the same conference. Would be happy to see that in CUSA or some newly formed conference with regional rivalries some time down the road.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
The fact is, you can't see the BoA building from the campus, nor can you get to the city without hopping on the interstate for 15-20 minutes. I apologize for overestimating the irrelevant, straight-line distance.

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
I agree with this. It makes sense that all 3 of these schools should be in the same conference. Would be happy to see that in CUSA or some newly formed conference with regional rivalries some time down the road.

This - would be a winner and would be good for all of us in reclaiming the state from the ACC walmart idiots and for both App and us specifically help move our student body to being loyal to their school above all others.

49RFootballNow
November 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
The fact is, you can't see the BoA building from the campus, nor can you get to the city without hopping on the interstate for 15-20 minutes. I apologize for overestimating the irrelevant, straight-line distance.

Actually you can see BoA, Duke Energy Center, and a lot more from campus and the surrounding area. The top floors of Scott, Moore, Holshouser, Sanford and the Dalton Tower all have great views of the Uptown skyline. You have a great view of Uptown from University City Blvd or Tryon St as well.

Again, you need more smack practice. Back to your Fisher Price, My First Message Board:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/start

Mntneer
November 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Back to your Fisher Price, My First Message Board:

Sigh. So true. In fairness, that board has been around a long time.

91Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM

Literally, you are wrong on all counts here......its hard to believe you would even post this.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Standing on the ground, you can not see it

SoCon48
November 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Another sleeper awakens, spouting nonsense.

First, not every App fan is thrilled with the move, and most of us would rather stay put than end up in, say, the Sun Belt. Second, even if we were all on board, it wouldn't be because there's anything WRONG with the FCS. It would be because we feel that the program is ready to move up to the bigs.

Huge difference between those thoughts and homeboy's claptrap

I'm one of those who wants to stay FCS.

91Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Standing on the ground, you can not see it

I cant believe I'm still even posting about this, but oh well.......fact remains, once again you make a pathetic attempt to "put down" anything Charlotte related even though this one makes even less sense than most. BTW, saying you cant see downtown Charlotte from the ground on campus (when the distance is only 8-9 miles) is akin to saying you cant see the mountains around Boone from the bathroom at Kidd-Brewer (ie; things block your view sometimes....geez).......come on man, even you can do better than this

Apphole
November 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I cant believe I'm still even posting about this, but oh well.......fact remains, once again you make a pathetic attempt to "put down" anything Charlotte related even though this one makes even less sense than most. BTW, saying you cant see downtown Charlotte from the ground on campus (when the distance is only 8-9 miles) is akin to saying you cant see the mountains around Boone from the bathroom at Kidd-Brewer (ie; things block your view sometimes....geez).......come on man, even you can do better than this

I've been to the campus plenty of times and I've never been able to see the skyline. I never went to the top floor of any buildings, so you may be right there. And it's not like the school allows trees to obscure the view.

HXC Niner
November 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM

I agree with you 100%. Hell, the rivalry is there and as many have said, we haven't even played a game. The triple NC rivalry would be great, as many students from ECU, App, and Charlotte are siblings or kin. This really could be a big deal down the road.

NinerWupAss
November 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
I agree with you 100%. Hell, the rivalry is there and as many have said, we haven't even played a game. The triple NC rivalry would be great, as many students from ECU, App, and Charlotte are siblings or kin. This really could be a big deal down the road.

The ACC schools in the state would not be happy with this at all. Between App, us and ECU we would have the state covered.

Saint3333
November 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM

This is kind of like the theory used in a Beautiful Mind. There are 3 guys, 4 attractive females (one more so than the rest), if we all go after one, only one wins, if we each go after a nice option we all win.

App-a-latch-un
November 3rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Actually you can see BoA, Duke Energy Center, and a lot more from campus and the surrounding area. The top floors of Scott, Moore, Holshouser, Sanford and the Dalton Tower all have great views of the Uptown skyline. You have a great view of Uptown from University City Blvd or Tryon St as well.

Again, you need more smack practice. Back to your Fisher Price, My First Message Board:

Hey on days when temps are in the single digits up here you can see the Charlotte skyline as well.

NormChar
November 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM

As already pointed out, you actually can see the BoA building from campus. I also noticed you didn't respond to the Center City campus. From there, not only can you see the BoA building, you can walk to it in less than 5 minutes. Lastly, the map I posted had driving directions. The irrelevant, straight-line distance is only 6 miles.

49RFootballNow
November 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I've been to the campus plenty of times and I've never been able to see the skyline. I never went to the top floor of any buildings, so you may be right there. And it's not like the school allows trees to obscure the view.

Again?

WH49er
November 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hey on days when temps are in the single digits up here you can see the Charlotte skyline as well.

Where from? Roan Mountain? I've heard this just never seen it in person.

tarmac
November 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Grandfather for sure

Saint3333
November 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.grandfather.com/photo_tours/journal/journal_2-17-07.php

WH49er
November 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.grandfather.com/photo_tours/journal/journal_2-17-07.php

Awesome. I guess I overestimated the curvature of the earth. Love me some Daniel Boone Scout Trail.

NormChar
November 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've seen that before. Awesome pic!