PDA

View Full Version : Any know the db levels of their stadium?

Twentysix
October 31st, 2011, 05:49 AM
Apparently a media guy had a decibel meter at the game on saturday and the FD was at 108 db. It breached 100 db many times throughout the game.

The highest reading in the Fargodome on Saturday was 108 – when the Bison ran out into the darkened stadium for their ritual pregame entrance

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2011/10/29/1030-n-bison-a1-main.jpg

Tiger Stadium is commonly referred to as "Death Valley," due to its high level of cheering during games. The original nickname of "deaf valley" was applied to the stadium, but over the years was misunderstood for "death valley." During a nationally televised game against Auburn in 2003, ESPN recorded a noise level of 119 decibels at certain points in the game

A ways to go lol. Not to bad for just under 19,000 though. All of those FBS records are set with 50,000+.

AppStsGr8
October 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
All I know is that Coach Moore said Saturday after the App - GaSo game that it sounded like a jet engine taking off. I'd love to know the actual db level.

Smitty
October 31st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Pretty loud when the band is playing on the field. Otherwise pretty quiet

Twentysix
October 31st, 2011, 07:51 AM
All I know is that Coach Moore said Saturday after the App - GaSo game that it sounded like a jet engine taking off. I'd love to know the actual db level.

A jet engine is 120 db. That is close to rivaling Autzen/Huskie/Camp Randall/Memorial etc. Im sure its not even close to 120db... lol.

GaSouthern
October 31st, 2011, 07:55 AM

It was the first time all season Jaybo had trouble communicating with his WR's and A-Backs

superman7515
October 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'd say some of the stadiums in the northeast have to have the highest db levels of anywhere in the nation. You'd be surprised at the number of douchebags you run into.

MSUBobcat
October 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM
I'd say some of the stadiums in the northeast have to have the highest db levels of anywhere in the nation. You'd be surprised at the number of douchebags you run into.

xlolx nicely done xthumbsupx

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 09:10 AM
From the games I've been to, VT was the only one louder that KBS. (very much so) I've also been to games at NC State, UNC, ECU, Wofford, Citadel, Elon, Richmond (old stadium), Western and of course the Carolina Panthers. State and ECU can get pretty loud I've heard, but not the games I went to. The loudest part of the ASU-ECU game was when the ASU section was going nuts during our comeback in the 4th.

Rob Iola
October 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM

At Nova the douchebags run into you...

GannonFan
October 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM
If you're not indoors then you probably aren't in the conversation. Hard to imagine an outdoor stadium being louder than a similar sized indoor stadium. Pretty sure NDSU or UNI probably have the loudest stadiums because of that.

DG Cowboy
October 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
After 4 losses in a row - who knows!

Hammerhead
October 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM
The one Montana game I attended back in 1994 was loud for an outdoor stadium, but indoor stadiums can be way louder.

The Divisional playoff game when the Vikings hosted Dallas a few years ago left my ears ringing for a day.

Squealofthepig
October 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM
The one Montana game I attended back in 1994 was loud for an outdoor stadium, but indoor stadiums can be way louder.

The Divisional playoff game when the Vikings hosted Dallas a few years ago left my ears ringing for a day.

Yeah - in terms of pure volume, I would have to rank volume as probably:
1) NDSU
2) UNI
3) Kidd Brewer
4) Washington-Griz

And there's probably a big gap between UNI and Kidd-Brewer - even with 1 and 2 hosting about 8,000 fewer fans.

montanafan
October 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but Montana's Washington Grizzly Stadium is the only FCS stadium to make the top 50 loudest football stadiums list. Montana is 46th.

see attached:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/708672-college-football-2011-power-ranking-the-50-loudest-stadiums#/articles/708672-college-football-2011-power-ranking-the-50-loudest-stadiums/page/2

Go Griz..

Apphole
October 31st, 2011, 10:54 AM
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but Montana's Washington Grizzly Stadium is the only FCS stadium to make the top 50 loudest football stadiums list. Montana is 46th.

see attached:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/708672-college-football-2011-power-ranking-the-50-loudest-stadiums#/articles/708672-college-football-2011-power-ranking-the-50-loudest-stadiums/page/2

Go Griz..

Oh Bleacher Report. For a second I thought it was credible.

montanafan
October 31st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Here is one quote showing a level of 108 db in Washinton Grizzly stadium. This was before our expansion so it should be louder now.

"Washington-Grizzly Stadium. I know this seems odd, but I’m not sure we would have been in the big show without three straight playoff games in the comfy (and loud) confines of Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With the top seeds in our bracket losing (aligning the stars for the Griz), the road to Chattanooga passed through Missoula, and Montana outscored its opponents 137-37 at home. At one point during the Sam Houston game, a decibel meter hit 108 — a level found in the front row of a Metallica concert."

katstrapper
October 31st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Here is one quote showing a level of 108 db in Washinton Grizzly stadium. This was before our expansion so it should be louder now.

"Washington-Grizzly Stadium. I know this seems odd, but I’m not sure we would have been in the big show without three straight playoff games in the comfy (and loud) confines of Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With the top seeds in our bracket losing (aligning the stars for the Griz), the road to Chattanooga passed through Missoula, and Montana outscored its opponents 137-37 at home. At one point during the Sam Houston game, a decibel meter hit 108 — a level found in the front row of a Metallica concert."

I can attest to that .... I was at both playoff games in 2001 and 2004 and will agree on the loudness. It is deafining at times. I have been to many college football stadiums, big and small and Wa-Griz is by far one of the loudest.

montanafan
October 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Per ESPN in 2004;

Per ESPN this is what they compared the noise to:

Airplane on Runway taking off 125 Decibles
Threshold of Pain 135
Jet Engine 150

Wa Griz Stadium 108.5

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM
At least the Bison fans on this site aren't Front Running at all. xsighx Starting a thread about decibels - really?

GGASU
October 31st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah - in terms of pure volume, I would have to rank volume as probably:
1) NDSU
2) UNI
3) Kidd Brewer
4) Washington-Griz

And there's probably a big gap between UNI and Kidd-Brewer - even with 1 and 2 hosting about 8,000 fewer fans.

Washington-Griz is the loudest outdoor stadium in FCS. The way it is built it is as loud or louder than stadiums 2 and 3 times the capacity.

Knew players that played at Auburn and W-Griz, and all said that W-Griz was louder. (Both games came down to the last minute so the crowd was into the game at Auburn to get a good reading.)

GGASU
October 31st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Apparently a media guy had a decibel meter at the game on saturday and the FD was at 108 db. It breached 100 db many times throughout the game.

A ways to go lol. Not to bad for just under 19,000 though. All of those FBS records are set with 50,000+.

I think your entrance is one of the best in football.....really cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6zyoPuopk&feature=related

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM
I have been taking readings for years with my spl meter at Washington Grizzly Stadium. The highest level I have ever recorded was against App St in 2009 when the player dropped the 4th and goal pass that was the last play of the game my meter spiked at 117.6dB but the average was 111.7dB. This wasnt on the field it was just above the field on the walkway around the bottom of the stadium.

There are 3 other games that have been above 100dB.

The 1995 semi final game against Stephen F Austin read 106.0dB and we didint even have the north endzone seats or the east expansion. (Reading from SEZ)

The 2006 UMass night game hit 103.9dB once. (Reading from middle of NEZ)

The 2009 SDSU game was 105.6dB. (Reading from bottom of the NEZ)

I will say that all of these levels have been measured from different locations until recently I began taking them all from the same location in the NEZ still not down on the field where it should be louder as the sound is focused at the bottom of the bowl.

I still have my SPL. Over this past summer I downloaded an SPL app to my droid bionic. I calibrated it with pink noise and did some testing against my SPL over different levels of sound. The smartphone app really tracked a hell of a lot better than I though I would. I think the software part of it is just as robust as the stuff in my SPL the difference is the microphones that are picking up the sound level. The phone seems to roll off hard at 18k according to my waveform monitor and spectrum analyzer.

The smartphone app works very well if you get it calibrated correctly so I have been using that this year so I have one less piece of gear to carry on game day and its close enough in accuracy for this kind of geekery.

I recently started taking pictures of my SPL at games so I had a visual application to put on a message board. This is one from a game this year against EWU.

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/2e263dccf03747deae70be53c0167790/l.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
October 31st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Per ESPN in 2004;

Per ESPN this is what they compared the noise to:

Airplane on Runway taking off 125 Decibles
Threshold of Pain 135
Jet Engine 150

Wa Griz Stadium 108.5

I'm glad you backed it up with the ESPN thing and if anyone still has doubts it was broadcast and is probably out there to see. I didn't look up the attendance but I'm pretty sure the attendance was probably around the 19K mark for that game as well.

pbr1893
October 31st, 2011, 01:13 PM
yep...gonna go with montana...i was at that game 2 years ago...loud....period! but ill tell you this...with the addition of the new stands in the field house endzone, app's been able to push the noise back into the hill side instead of letting it move out toward the parking lot. on a few plays, i stopped yelling for a few secs just to hear how loud it was getting...i was impressed. now the domes will be loud too but its says a lot for the stadiums like montana and app to compare when dealing with such a loss of noise upward and outward. and thats not a knock on uni or ndsu...id love to go there and add my voice to the meter...but pull for my apps of course!

HailSzczur
October 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna guess we come in somewhere around 70....right around the level of a loud conversation. Noise is never an issue at Villanova Stadium. Now if we were talking basketball I could definitely take part in this discussion.

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM
My wife and I sat in the upper expansion of W-G on Saturday, and the game was never in doubt. Still, we could not believe how loud W-G was, especially being outdoors.

W-G outdoors in the upper deck was louder than the UNI game in Fargo in 2009 was on the sidelines.

I-16Bandit
October 31st, 2011, 02:01 PM
From the games I've been to, VT was the only one louder that KBS. (very much so) I've also been to games at NC State, UNC, ECU, Wofford, Citadel, Elon, Richmond (old stadium), Western and of course the Carolina Panthers. State and ECU can get pretty loud I've heard, but not the games I went to. The loudest part of the ASU-ECU game was when the ASU section was going nuts during our comeback in the 4th.

Never been to Paulson?

LehighU11
October 31st, 2011, 03:34 PM

I've been to Lehigh-Laf for 4 years and have never experienced more obnoxious dbags than at the UD-Lehigh game at the Tub last year xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM
At least the Bison fans on this site aren't Front Running at all. xsighx Starting a thread about decibels - really?

Better than the quilting sessions that go on at the Alerus every Saturday...

Take it to a hockey forum, please.

darell1976
October 31st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Better than the quilting sessions that go on at the Alerus every Saturday...

Take it to a hockey forum, please.

Our arena will get loud again...once we are in the Big Sky.
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149

I was at this game!!!

Fighting Sioux fans have been enthusiastic ever since the Alerus Center opened, but one of the most vocal crowds came in that first year as UND hosted a 2001 NCAA semifinal game against UC Davis. In that game, UC Davis was flagged seven times for illegal procedure among its 12 penalties on the day. After the game, UC Davis players cited the noise level of the Alerus Center crowd as one of the reasons for the penalties.

Strommer10
October 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
I think your entrance is one of the best in football.....really cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6zyoPuopk&feature=related
I have only been to a handful of other FCS/FBS stadiums and I would agree that ours is by far the best I've seen. With the lights off, thunderstruck and the video playing, smoke coming out of the tunnel of the Bison football helmet, the three spotlights, AND the fireworks going off.

I'm not saying it's the best but it is WAY up there in my mind. Just turning the lights off creates such an energy and buzz in the crowd and players that not many other schools can even attempt with an outdoor stadium.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2011, 04:22 PM
I have only been to a handful of other FCS/FBS stadiums and I would agree that ours is by far the best I've seen. With the lights off, thunderstruck and the video playing, smoke coming out of the tunnel of the Bison football helmet, the three spotlights, AND the fireworks going off.

I'm not saying it's the best but it is WAY up there in my mind. Just turning the lights off creates such an energy and buzz in the crowd and players that not many other schools can even attempt with an outdoor stadium.
Domes are not ideal for college football (most days) but they do make the pregame intros pretty bad ***.

Strommer10
October 31st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Domes are not ideal for college football (most days) but they do make the pregame intros pretty bad ***.

I definitely agree. Football is meant to be outdoors, BUT if you have an indoor stadium, you can make it into a really unique environment like we have.

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Our arena will get loud again...once we are in the Big Sky.

I was at this game!!!

We're gonna have huge crowds!! We're gonna be playoff contenders!! We're gonna be a loud stadium when we get into the Big Sky!! We're gonna, We're gonna, We're gonna!!!!

This is what I've been hearing from the 20 UND FB fans that exist for the last year or so, and it's really starting to irritate me. We're gonna, We're gonna.

"We're gonnas" are cheap. They go for like a nickel per gross.

darell1976
October 31st, 2011, 04:31 PM
I would love to get a db reading at Nebraka and their Sea Of Red. Thats gotta be some loud football!!

darell1976
October 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
We're gonna have huge crowds!! We're gonna be playoff contenders!! We're gonna be a loud stadium when we get into the Big Sky!! We're gonna, We're gonna, We're gonna!!!!

This is what I've been hearing from the 20 UND FB fans that exist for the last year or so, and it's really starting to irritate me. We're gonna, We're gonna.

"We're gonnas" are cheap. They go for like a nickel per gross. Don't leave your seat for the cashier's booth when the roulette wheel hasn't even stopped yet.

Hasn't NDSU fans been saying "we're gonna be hosting the playoffs since the Fargodome opened (1992). Hey you made it last year. Good job. Our stadium is loud when it is packed, and after NDSU left UND still packed it playing DII teams. We were in the top 5 in the nation in attendance (DII) which for playing Omaha, USD, Augy is still pretty good. As for us in the playoffs...just wait and see Doubting Thomas.

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hasn't NDSU fans been saying "we're gonna be hosting the playoffs since the Fargodome opened (1992). Hey you made it last year. Good job. Our stadium is loud when it is packed, and after NDSU left UND still packed it playing DII teams. We were in the top 5 in the nation in attendance (DII) which for playing Omaha, USD, Augy is still pretty good. As for us in the playoffs...just wait and see Doubting Thomas.

During NDSU Basketball's big tourney year in 2009, we averaged 3,596 per game with our best BB team ever, well short of the 5,000 or so we would average in the 1980's when we had pretty consistent decent teams in DII that would get the snot knocked out of them by the 2009 Bison. There were games that year that still didn't break the 3,000 mark, and we were dominating in a DI conference.

DII crowds were big in those days cause even the slow and dim-witted people locally knew all of the opponents the local teams were playing. Hosting teams like Sacramento State, Weber State, Portland State, Northern Arizona, etc. won't get the ears of El Forko sports fans perked up like Augie or St. Cloud even did.

You're also basing your argument on the type of season that UND FB saw only once in their entire 110+ year history, coupled with a shiny new stadium, COUPLED AGAIN with familiar DII opponents.

Those intangibles are not working in your favor in 2012. Sure, 10-11,000 will come for Montana/MSU, but once the losses start piling up and the west coast teams come in, it's back to 7,000 nappers.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I do know one thing..................when the Griz play on the road.........its usually pretty quiet in the stadium (except in our section) after the 1st 10 mins or so.

Ask JMU

xcoffeex

darell1976
October 31st, 2011, 04:53 PM
During NDSU Basketball's big tourney year in 2009, we averaged 3,596 per game with our best BB team ever, well short of the 5,000 or so we would average in the 1980's when we had pretty consistent decent teams in DII that would get the snot knocked out of them by the 2009 Bison. There were games that year that still didn't break the 3,000 mark, and we were dominating in a DI conference.

DII crowds were big in those days cause even the slow and dim-witted people locally knew all of the opponents the local teams were playing. Hosting teams like Sacramento State, Weber State, Portland State, Northern Arizona, etc. won't get the ears of El Forko sports fans perked up like Augie or St. Cloud even did.

You're also basing your argument on the type of season that UND FB saw only once in their entire 110+ year history, coupled with a shiny new stadium, COUPLED AGAIN with familiar DII opponents.

Those intangibles are not working in your favor in 2012. Sure, 10-11,000 will come for Montana/MSU, but once the losses start piling up and the west coast teams come in, it's back to 7,000 nappers.

Keep drinking that Green and yellow kool-aid.

In 2004, UND led the nation in Division II total attendance for the second straight year, with 75,110 fans passing through the gates to watch Fighting Sioux football - an average of 9,389 per game.

In 2008, which was the team's first at the FCS level, fans broke yet another attendance record as the Sioux averaged 10,617 fans for their five home games that season.

2004 home schedule: (year after NDSU and SDSU left for DI)

Delta State
Mesa State
Central Washington
Ferris State
Minnesota-Duluth-conference game
MSU-Mankato-conference game
South Dakota-conference game
Grand Valley State-Playoffs

Where are these familar opponents? Besides our conference games that leaves GVSU in the playoffs. Central Washington didn't join til a year or 2 later.

2008: home schedule (first year in DI)

Texas A&M-Kingsville 11,434
St. Cloud State 9143
Wisconsin-Lacrosse DIII (year after they beat South Dakota State) 10,256
Western Washington 12,164
Southern Utah-Conference game 7840

Explain that!!!! And tell me we can't get the crowds to see Big Sky teams next year.

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have been taking readings for years with my spl meter at Washington Grizzly Stadium. The highest level I have ever recorded was against App St in 2009 when the player dropped the 4th and goal pass that was the last play of the game my meter spiked at 117.6dB but the average was 111.7dB. This wasnt on the field it was just above the field on the walkway around the bottom of the stadium.

There are 3 other games that have been above 100dB.

The 1995 semi final game against Stephen F Austin read 106.0dB and we didint even have the north endzone seats or the east expansion. (Reading from SEZ)

The 2006 UMass night game hit 103.9dB once. (Reading from middle of NEZ)

The 2009 SDSU game was 105.6dB. (Reading from bottom of the NEZ)

I will say that all of these levels have been measured from different locations until recently I began taking them all from the same location in the NEZ still not down on the field where it should be louder as the sound is focused at the bottom of the bowl.

I still have my SPL. Over this past summer I downloaded an SPL app to my droid bionic. I calibrated it with pink noise and did some testing against my SPL over different levels of sound. The smartphone app really tracked a hell of a lot better than I though I would. I think the software part of it is just as robust as the stuff in my SPL the difference is the microphones that are picking up the sound level. The phone seems to roll off hard at 18k according to my waveform monitor and spectrum analyzer.

The smartphone app works very well if you get it calibrated correctly so I have been using that this year so I have one less piece of gear to carry on game day and its close enough in accuracy for this kind of geekery.

I recently started taking pictures of my SPL at games so I had a visual application to put on a message board. This is one from a game this year against EWU.

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/2e263dccf03747deae70be53c0167790/l.jpg

I too was at that game in '09. Yep, you're right, it was loud! That was one of the most fun football experiences ever ('cept the outcome).

It's a LONG way from home for Griz fans, but I hope a BUNCH of you all can make it to Boone next year. We'll have more people there than at Wa-Griz stadium, but it won't be as loud because of the shape of the stadium.

I guess there's always a chance we'll host the Griz in the playoffs this year. I'll do my best to buy some Griz fans a beer or two.

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Keep drinking that Green and yellow kool-aid.

2004 home schedule: (year after NDSU and SDSU left for DI)

Delta State
Mesa State
Central Washington
Ferris State
Minnesota-Duluth-conference game
MSU-Mankato-conference game
South Dakota-conference game
Grand Valley State-Playoffs

Where are these familar opponents? Besides our conference games that leaves GVSU in the playoffs. Central Washington didn't join til a year or 2 later.

2008: home schedule (first year in DI)

Texas A&M-Kingsville 11,434
St. Cloud State 9143
Wisconsin-Lacrosse DIII (year after they beat South Dakota State) 10,256
Western Washington 12,164
Southern Utah-Conference game 7840

Explain that!!!! And tell me we can't get the crowds to see Big Sky teams next year.

It's really interesting - The BEST you have ever been able to get (UND FB's best average in its history) is 10,617 per game for a throw-away year (2008), which is only 81 percent of the Alerus Center's 13,044 capacity. Your championship season averaged around 10,000, which is still 3,000 or so empty Alerus seats.

You had 6,700 people attend your game vs Cal-Poly a couple years ago, and when CP came back this year, you had your LOWEST Homecoming crowd in a LONG TIME. Didn't even break 10,000. You haven't drawn well against UC Davis when you've been in the GW either. Those teams will be in your conference. You'll have to host one of them every year. Plus take your pick of Sacramento, Portland, Idaho State, Northern AZ, SUU, etc. Add onto the fact that UND FB is not guaranteed to start killing everyone in the BSC once they start. They may likely struggle.

Sorry if I don't envision the veritable rock concert in the Alerus beginning next season that you seem to see.

darell1976
October 31st, 2011, 10:21 PM
It's really interesting - The BEST you have ever been able to get (UND FB's best average in its history) is 10,617 per game for a throw-away year (2008), which is only 81 percent of the Alerus Center's 13,044 capacity. Your championship season averaged around 10,000, which is still 3,000 or so empty Alerus seats.

You had 6,700 people attend your game vs Cal-Poly a couple years ago, and when CP came back this year, you had your LOWEST Homecoming crowd in a LONG TIME. Didn't even break 10,000. You haven't drawn well against UC Davis when you've been in the GW either. Those teams will be in your conference. You'll have to host one of them every year. Plus take your pick of Sacramento, Portland, Idaho State, Northern AZ, SUU, etc. Add onto the fact that UND FB is not guaranteed to start killing everyone in the BSC once they start. They may likely struggle.

Sorry if I don't envision the veritable rock concert in the Alerus beginning next season that you seem to see.

Where the hell you get this number??

North Dakota plays its football home games at the Alerus Center - a 12,283-seat stadium located just minutes from the UND campus in Grand Forks.

But what I think is the best is how the "biggest game in Bison history" had less people than a NDSU-SDSU game (19,020). This one didn't push 19,000. Hell Lakes was advertising 20,000 for this.
18,886?? Where was the standing room only...the parking lot?

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM
I too was at that game in '09. Yep, you're right, it was loud! That was one of the most fun football experiences ever ('cept the outcome).

It's a LONG way from home for Griz fans, but I hope a BUNCH of you all can make it to Boone next year. We'll have more people there than at Wa-Griz stadium, but it won't be as loud because of the shape of the stadium.

I guess there's always a chance we'll host the Griz in the playoffs this year. I'll do my best to buy some Griz fans a beer or two.

My son and I will be at "The Rock" have been waiting for that game since it was announced. You guys were awesome in Missoula and I cant wait to see some of you again next year and I have always wanted to see a game in your stadium.

I-16Bandit
October 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM
My son and I will be at "The Rock" have been waiting for that game since it was announced. You guys were awesome in Missoula and I cant wait to see some of you again next year and I have always wanted to see a game in your stadium.

It sucks. Not worth it. Just stay home.

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2011, 11:33 PM
Where the hell you get this number??

I saw it on a construction document in 2001.

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM

Pay no attention to the disheartened GaSo fans on here. They're about as much fun as a box of rocks.

I would be delighted to entertain at our tailgate when you all come for the game. My boys are still talking about the jambalaya we enjoyed at a Griz tailgate at the Montana game. PM me sometime before the game next season & I'll tell you where our tailgate is (won't know till next year.)

GGASU
November 1st, 2011, 09:06 AM
according to wiki....The Washington Huskies have the highest ever db reading at a game.
------------
Husky Stadium has the record for having the loudest game in college football history. This is in part due to the stadium's design; almost 70 percent of the seats are located between the end zones, covered by cantilevered metal roofs.[6]

During televised games, the cameras appear to be shaking due to fans stomping their feet in the bleachers. During the 1992 night game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers, ESPN measured the noise level at over 130 decibels, well above the threshold of pain. This is the highest decibel level ever recorded for a college football stadium

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM
Never been to Paulson?

No unfortunately I haven't made it down there yet. I've heard from pretty much everyone, friends and bloggers, that it isn't even close to being as loud as KBS.

appfan2008
November 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
No unfortunately I haven't made it down there yet. I've heard from pretty much everyone, friends and bloggers, that it isn't even close to being as loud as KBS.

The angle of the stands does not confine the noise like it does at KBS... not even close...

Apphole
November 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
The angle of the stands does not confine the noise like it does at KBS... not even close...

Don't forget there are a lot less people and it's hard to yell with a lip full of Copenhagen

GaSouthern
November 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM

When the second deck(s) is built I fully expect it to be at a sharp angle and that should greatly help our cause!

GaSouthern
November 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
I really want to get a dB reader in Paulson Stadium next year for the GSU vs App St. Game!

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
These are very good for the money.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&gs_upl=1315l7915l0l10560l17l15l0l0l0l0l3056l9113l6-1.1.1.2l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=667&q=scosche+spl+meter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3520076046989133794&sa=X&ei=hRCwTtv7DOjMiQL8iYUW&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAQ

PAllen
November 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
No idea on the db levels, but I was in attendance for a Lehigh @ Penn matchup years ago. The place was less than half full, but the Lehigh fans were so loud, it messed up the Penn offense pretty badly. The Penn QB kept asking the ref to get us to quiet down. The ref obviously wasn't going to help him, "you're the home team". The QB got so agitated, he got a personal foul called on himself for all the arguing with the referee. Definitely a classic moment. Too bad Lehigh lost the game.

GGASU
November 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Don't forget there are a lot less people and it's hard to yell with a lip full of Copenhagen

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Pretty loud when the band is playing on the field. Otherwise pretty quiet

hmmmmmm interesting. lol

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
It sucks. Not worth it. Just stay home.

Ever been to KBS?

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 10:25 PM
W&M Zable Stadium... Minimal dB's at best.

ODUsmitty
November 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Apparently the noise at ODU's Foreman Field was so loud that an NSU fan felt compelled to complain about it.........

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/12th-man-lifted-odu

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2011, 10:33 PM
16287.....EVERAH DONE DUH TUB...ON PARENTS DAY...xconfusedx....LIKE LISTENIN' TA...AUGUSTA....IN DUH SPRING......MOM & DADDY...OWN-LAH ON CAMPUS....TA BUY SON/DAUGHTS..ROOMY.....DINNERAH....IN CASE SAID ROOMY...IS CONNECTED......AN' CAN GIVE....DUH OFF-SPRING....UH SWEET LIFE...xnodx....BRAWK!

DUH TUB....ANYMORE....SO QUIET......YA CAN HEAR UH PISS-ANT....TAKE UH LEAK...ON MEDICATED COTTON..........:o:o.....BRAWK!

BEST CHEER....IN DUH TUB......"DOWN IN FRONT"....AS OURAH SENIORS....TOO OLD TA JUMP UP....ON UH 47 YARD...KICK RETURN!

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Apparently the noise at ODU's Foreman Field was so loud that an NSU fan felt compelled to complain about it.........

xlolx That cannot be real.... if it is Gary Anthony from Chesapeake needs to stick to watching golf and croquet.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Wow. Must have been Gary Anthony's first trip to an away game. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
16287.....EVERAH DONE DUH TUB...ON PARENTS DAY...xconfusedx....LIKE LISTENIN' TA...AUGUSTA....IN DUH SPRING......MOM & DADDY...OWN-LAH ON CAMPUS....TA BUY SON/DAUGHTS..ROOMY.....DINNERAH....IN CASE SAID ROOMY...IS CONNECTED......AN' CAN GIVE....DUH OFF-SPRING....UH SWEET LIFE...xnodx....BRAWK!

DUH TUB....ANYMORE....SO QUIET......YA CAN HEAR UH PISS-ANT....TAKE UH LEAK...ON MEDICATED COTTON..........:o:o.....BRAWK!

BEST CHEER....IN DUH TUB......"DOWN IN FRONT"....AS OURAH SENIORS....TOO OLD TA JUMP UP....ON UH 47 YARD...KICK RETURN!

"Go **** yourself and get off your *** to do it" is my usual response to the "down in front" people. One time my Gramma got real pissed at me and took a swing at me for saying that to her and even in her wheelchair she could take a pretty good swipe so I don't recommend it in every situation.

HailSzczur
November 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM

We actually have a similar problem, but in basketball, because we all know that Villanova Stadium tends not to get very loud unless JMU, Delaware, and other well traveling CAA teams come in and make some noise. At basketball games the most expensive seats are along the sidelines and they tend to go to high brow, deep pocket donors who have held them for awhile and pay a very healthy seat donation. This is different from many schools where they students are up nice and close. We've had tied games against Top 25 opponents where it just about takes the student section coming over to prop them up for them to get on their feet. I feel your pain Mr. Chicken. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people realize they are at a sporting event or think they're at the Opera

BEAR
November 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
dbs....the measurement of sound....at UCA games the east side is constantly loud while the west side is fairly quiet...no dbs record set there. xlolx

Vitojr130
November 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I spy, with my little eye, DJKyRo. hahaha I like this game.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
The phone app that the griz guy uses read 117db at the NDSU JMU game, this phone obviously wasnt on the field either where it should be higher...