PDA

View Full Version : Erk Russell is back

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 12:32 AM
The atmosphere at Thursday’s Statesboro Kiwanis Club meeting was almost like a pep rally as Georgia Southern University head football coach Brian VanGorder announced the legendary Erk Russell would be involved with the GSU Eagles once again.

“Erk is back,” he said. “I’m bringing him into this program ... I want him to be a part of the Eagles again.”

Russell built Georgia’s defense that won a national championship after beating Notre Dame in the 1981 Sugar Bowl. He then helped restart Georgia Southern’s football program when he came to Statesboro in 1982. He coached three Eagles’ teams to Division I-AA championships and retired after an undefeated season in 1989.

He remained a fixture at Georgia Southern practices and games after his retirement, but chose to distance himself from the program following the firing of his son Rusty Russell as defensive coordinator in early 2004. Erk Russell publically disputed then head coach Mike Sewak’s statement that he “consulted” with him about his son’s situation prior to his dismissal

http://www.statesboroherald.net/showstory.php?$recordID=6126

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 03:21 AM
This is big news around here. Erk is, pardon the expression, The Icon of Georgia Southern football. It has the folks really stirred up and ready for the season.

OL FU
May 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I am glad Erk is back. :nod:

Are you guys going to start carrying that nasty creek water with you on away games again:eek:

Cause, I am calling the EPA if you do:nod: :D

bryan92
May 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I am glad Erk is back. :nod:

Are you guys going to start carrying that nasty creek water with you on away games again:eek:

Cause, I am calling the EPA if you do:nod: :D

VanGorder said it once at a booster luncheon, so we should keep reminding him so he won't forget about it!:D

Killtoppers90
May 5th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I remember playing against Ga Southern in the late 80's, when Erk roamed the sidelines and Tracy Ham was under center. God they THROTTLED us that day! But they were class - congrats Eagles!

parr90
May 5th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I remember playing against Ga Southern in the late 80's, when Erk roamed the sidelines and Tracy Ham was under center. God they THROTTLED us that day! But they were class - congrats Eagles!

I was a player in those days and if I remember correctly you guys stoped on your way into town and dumped red dye into eagle creek. The idea being to reverse its powers. Those were some fun times.

ErkPeterson
May 5th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I get goosebumps just thinking about Coach Erk. My grandfather was a highscool coach and knew Erk WAY back from the old days. My freshman year I saw him in the grocery store and struck up a conversation with him. he immediatley slapped me on the back and we walked every isle. I listened as he reminesced about the old-days.
Arguably the greatest, most charismatic man I've ever had the honor of meeting. From then on he always went out of his way to shake my hand whenever he saw me. Paulson is going to explode when he makes his appearance.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/ErkBW.jpg

SunCoastBlueHen
May 5th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I get goosebumps just thinking about Coach Erk. My grandfather was a highscool coach and knew Erk WAY back from the old days. My freshman year I saw him in the grocery store and struck up a conversation with him. he immediatley slapped me on the back and we walked every isle. I listened as he reminesced about the old-days.
Arguably the greatest, most charismatic man I've ever had the honor of meeting. Fromm then on he always went out of his way to shake my hand whenever he saw me. Paulson is going to explode when he makes his appearance.

I never would have guessed that you are and Erk fan. xlolx

Nice story, and welcome to the board!

ErkPeterson
May 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I never would have guessed that you are and Erk fan. xlolx

Nice story, and welcome to the board!

-Thx, looking forward to becoming very active here. don't know why it took me so long. This is going to be the longest off-season wait I can remember. Cheers,

henfan
May 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Prior to retiring, Tubby Raymond asked Erk for his advice. That should tell you how much ER is respected.

A great day for GSU football.:hurray:

bryan92
May 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
What advise was given, if you know? I've not heard that before.

OL FU
May 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Arguably the greatest, most charismatic man I've ever had the honor of meeting. From then on he always went out of his way to shake my hand whenever he saw me. Paulson is going to explode when he makes his appearance.

Is that Erk, or Grizo 20 years from now:D

Grizo406
May 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Is that Erk, or Grizo 20 years from now:D

That might be Grizo next week!xlolx

Erk was one of the main reasons I bought a Georgia Southern T-Shirt, and wear it proudly in Missoula. A great man he is...no Don Read, but still a great man!:smiley_wi