PDA

View Full Version : "Season of the Tiger" episode 2

MACHIAVELLI
May 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thursday May 4:
On the next episode of "Season of the Tiger"

Mancel faces a court date, but lacking the money to pay his fine he considers pawning his most prized possession: his saxophone. Bruce’s mother rips into him and his girlfriend for Bruce’s irresponsible eating habits. An NFL scout and a nutritionist also warn Bruce that if he doesn’t shape up, he may never ship out of Grambling.

WHAT: "Season of the Tiger"
WHEN: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays on BET.
IF YOU MISS IT: Encore telecasts are at 12:30 a.m. Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. Saturdays and 9 p.m. Tuesdays.

May 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
This week's episode game is against Tarvaris Jackson and Alabama State.

Go...gate
May 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Mr. Eugene needs to cut out the pizza and beer. Looks like he's a hell of a player.

mikebigg
May 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Mr. Eugene needs to cut out the pizza and beer. Looks like he's a hell of a player.

I like Bruce, but couldn't believe some of the stuff that went into his mouth and was disappointed in the things that came out of his mouth.
It's obvious he didn't take the advice about weight loss seriously during the season. That lack of discipline hurt him...hope he realizes now.

Good kid...hope he's learned from his eating decisions.

Kill'em
May 4th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I only got to see him play once, and that was only part of a game. It seems like he has talent. Let's hope he gets his weight under control for his health's sake. Never mind pro football.

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM
This is Bruce now.
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/images/BET%20071.jpg

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 03:09 AM
That can't be the same guy.

Mr. Tiger
May 5th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Amazing, Isn't it. :nod: But that's him.

jstate83
May 5th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Amazing, Isn't it. :nod: But that's him.

Man............He's lost weight. :eek:

Everytime I saw him when we played Gram.....................BELLY everywherexlolx

Looks like he taking control of his weight......................Good for him.:nod:

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM

These pics were taken exactly a month ago today at the "Season of the Tiger" photo session
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/BET%20279.jpg

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
What is his weight now? Better yet, how did he do it?

Go...gate
May 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Was this a product of just working out, more running (that really melts it off) or dieting?

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Was this a product of just working out, more running (that really melts it off) or dieting?

All. Bruce did not attend any post season all star games to concentrate on losing weight and working on getting in shape for the NFL combine. He has dropped more weight since the combine. He is about 245 pounds as of 5/1/2006. He will remain in Grambling to workout and throw the ball around until he has to report for rookie camp. He signed a 3 year free agent deal with the Saints.

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
What's the feeling on Eugene here? New Orleans isn't necessarily the best place for an undrafted rookie to latch onto (length of contract really doesn't matter - nothing's guaranteed) - they have Brees as the #1, then they have two guys with extensive NFL experience behind him in Jamiie Martin and Bouman, and then they already have a young QB to groom in McPherson (Florida St, entering his second year I think?). You have to figure that being a 3rd string or practice squad guy is the way to go as they are going to stick with experience at the #2 slot - what are his odds of beating out Martin, Bouman, and McPherson for what are really only two spots?

MACHIAVELLI
May 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
What's the feeling on Eugene here? New Orleans isn't necessarily the best place for an undrafted rookie to latch onto (length of contract really doesn't matter - nothing's guaranteed) - they have Brees as the #1, then they have two guys with extensive NFL experience behind him in Jamiie Martin and Bouman, and then they already have a young QB to groom in McPherson (Florida St, entering his second year I think?). You have to figure that being a 3rd string or practice squad guy is the way to go as they are going to stick with experience at the #2 slot - what are his odds of beating out Martin, Bouman, and McPherson for what are really only two spots?

One guy Martin has 12 years (36 years old) of experience, the other Bouman has 9 (33 years old), Brees with 6 (27 years old) and McPhearson (23 years old)has 2. My take is that Martin will be released and McPhearson will be a WR soon. Bruce will get his old number back #10 instead of the number he has now #11. He will be developed and will get some time to show his skills.

Kill'em
May 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Like I said earlier, I don't know how good he is but I think he has a good situation in New Orleans. If he shows the same skills he had at Grambling and can improve, he has a good shot. Best wishes to him.

Catmendue2
May 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
A three year free agent deal ain't exactly a gift. The Saints expect him to earn his pay. The Saints are on the dotted line for whatever settlement they made and they don't have revenue to just handout. Bruce is going to get his shot sooner than we think. Macpherson hasn't played QB in three years and I bet he won't play much in NOLA anytime soon.

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Are they that low on McPherson? They did use a 5th round draft pick on him in 2005 and he was the rookie of the year in the Arena League the first year he was out of school. Granted, it's the Arena League, but there have been better QB's to come out of the league recently so it's not that bad of an experience. I would imagine New Orleans has little to no money tied up with either guy as any signing bonus these guys would have has to be pretty minimal (UDFA's typically only get $10-$20k signing bonuses and I can't imagine a 5th round draft pick would command much more - chump change really compared to the salary cap) so they're not wedded to any of these guys. McPherson would've been under the old head coach so I could see possibly the new regime not being sold on him.

slostang
May 6th, 2006, 02:06 AM
One guy Martin has 12 years (36 years old) of experience, the other Bouman has 9 (33 years old), Brees with 6 (27 years old) and McPhearson (23 years old)has 2. My take is that Martin will be released and McPhearson will be a WR soon. Bruce will get his old number back #10 instead of the number he has now #11. He will be developed and will get some time to show his skills.
I hope that Bruce not only makes the team, but that he makes it big once he get there. I only hope that you are not right about Martin being the one that is shown the door. He is from my High School and I watched him play a lot of great games. Best of luck to both of them.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Two things about the Saints here that people are missing.

1) The Saints are totally in love with "local products" and local stories. If Eugene makes the team and someday becomes the starter, Bruce as the "local kid done good" will get lots of mileage, especially in a post-Katrina world.

2) All three of the Saints' QB's don't exactly fill any NFL defensive coordinator's hearts with fear. If Bush was taken by the Texans as expected, I fully expected the Saints to take Leinart at QB, so I wouldn't call QB a strength.

Having said all that, I keep thinking of Craig "Ironhead' Heyward, and his battles with weight after playing in New Orleans with all those great restaurants and its "culture of food". Mama's home cooking also won't help there either.

It's really up to him. Some team thinks he has the skills to play, now it's up to him to prove it.

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I watched part of the last episode, the one where the girl is running late for class and then makes a "speech" (if you want to call it that) about how education should be free for all...

The professor saw right through it. She did a bad job, not even making any points. Wish the professor would've said when they talked to her alone, "why should education be free for all when you have a student like her?". The professor had this expression of, "what the heck was that?".

I was watching something on another channel, so I was flipping. Definitely made me interested in the show, because being a recent graduate, it'd interesting to me to look from the outside in on the lives of college students, a life I'm not too far removed from...

May 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
... I keep thinking of Craig "Ironhead' Heyward, and his battles with weight after playing in New Orleans with all those great restaurants and its "culture of food". Mama's home cooking also won't help there either...Don't forget that Deriso said on I-AA WAVES that Eugene's mom is moving to Texas to follow another of her kids.

Go...gate
May 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I hope the kid makes good; getting back in shape like that takes commitment.

MACHIAVELLI
May 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Don't forget that Deriso said on I-AA WAVES that Eugene's mom is moving to Texas to follow another of her kids.

Ms Eugene said that she was moving to Humble, TX. Her other son is already at THE ICON and daughter will attend THE ICON this summer and /or fall.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Ms Eugene said that she was moving to Humble, TX. Her other son is already at THE ICON and daughter will attend THE ICON this summer and /or fall.

Mach, are they student athletes or are they just students?

MACHIAVELLI
May 14th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Mach, are they student athletes or are they just students?

From what I have heard, they are both basketball players.

May 15th, 2006, 12:59 AM
They play basketball at Grambling? Is that a D-I sport???

datruth4u
May 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
They play basketball at Grambling? Is that a D-I sport???

Grambling's basketball teams are D-1:hurray:

Go...gate
May 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Willis Reed played for Fred Hobdy at Grambling. 'Nuff said.

MACHIAVELLI
May 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Willis Reed played for Fred Hobdy at Grambling. 'Nuff said.

This guy too. He started on one of the the Bullets Championship teams
http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/lw_1[1].jpg

Go...gate
May 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Wright was on a few Bullet teams, including the '77-'78 NBA Champions.

MCFAN
May 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Didn't Larry Wright play for Richwood High School?

MACHIAVELLI
May 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Didn't Larry Wright play for Richwood High School?

Yes. He was on the team with a fellow ICON player that went on to become NFL Rookie of the year for the Vikings...Sammie White.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Anyone from Grambling concerned that the TV show may give the NCAA reason to investigate their program?

Not saying that there was anything wrong done, but last episode a player was shown calling people asking for money and tonight's episode showed a player's mother get a car.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Anyone from Grambling concerned that the TV show may give the NCAA reason to investigate their program?

Not saying that there was anything wrong done, but last episode a player was shown calling people asking for money and tonight's episode showed a player's mother get a car.

Isn't Grambling already under NCAA investigation?

On that note, I don't think Grambling would allow BET to run which they felt would give a negative message about their school and possibly get their school in trouble for actions shown. Atleast, that's my thought... :twocents:

rokamortis
May 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
On that note, I don't think Grambling would allow BET to run which they felt would give a negative message about their school and possibly get their school in trouble for actions shown. Atleast, that's my thought... :twocents:

I was thinking the same thing - but I wasn't sure if Grambling had power to say what is / is not shown. Just seems a little odd to me that this would be shown regardless - I know I wouldn't want to see it if my school had a show, even if ti was legit.

mikebigg
May 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
It's a "reality" show in name only...

MACHIAVELLI
May 18th, 2006, 11:36 PM
It's a "reality" show in name only...

It more like a sitcom.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
What do those statements mean? Do you guys not like the show?

mikebigg
May 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM

That's not what I meant... It's scripted. Notice how all dilemna's suddenly work themselves out by the end of the show? I'm sure there's some element of truth and facts, but it's kinda like WWF in that you know the results prior to the actual ending.

MACHIAVELLI
May 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Let's just say, If I were running this show things would be very different.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Let's just say, If I were running this show things would be very different.

Exactly!

When College Hill approached Texas Southern for a reality show, the administration was thrilled but when the conditions by BET was laid out, we turned them down and I am glad we did.