PDA

View Full Version : Yale- Harvard fan info - for Ivytalk (and Cleets, too - I guess)

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/the_game/index

They have a special website. I thought it would interest you.

Wildcat80
October 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Your coach better start beating Harvard or the alums will get restless.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Having had the good fortune to witness both in action against our lovable Maroon Piņata, little question remains as to who should be favored, at least on parchment. While I saw the Crimson only on tape delay, they looked like they pounded the crap out of the then-hapless Pards. Yale was an entirely different story - with several weaknesses that Harvard ought easily exploit. In particular, Mr. Witt tends to collapse under pressure. Harvard's DL is fast, athletic and nearly unstoppable.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Your coach better start beating Harvard or the alums will get restless.

They're already restless. Losses to Harvard cost the last coach his job.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Having had the good fortune to witness both in action against our lovable Maroon Piņata, little question remains as to who should be favored, at least on parchment. While I saw the Crimson only on tape delay, they looked like the pounded the crap out of the then-hapless Pards. Yale was an entirely different story - with several weaknesses that Harvard ought easily exploit. In particular, Mr. Witt tends to collapse under pressure. Harvard's DL is fast, athletic and nearly unstoppable.

The thing that worries me is, Yale played very well the last two years, especially on defense, and still lost because of special teams play (and stupidity, two years ago).

This years D is not as good.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM
The thing that worries me is, Yale played very well the last two years, especially on defense, and still lost because of special teams play (and stupidity, two years ago).

This years D is not as good.

My concern about Yale is more of a combination of a somewhat porous offensive line, which requires (at times) two TEs back to protect, coupled with a defensive secondary that appears to be a step slow on coverage of middle routes.

Offensively, the Eli are hampered by the need to keep extra protection back for Witt. That does not bode well for them when they get behind and have to rely principally on the passing game. Defensively, the Yale DBs are capable and speedy enough to cover deep but not so when opponents have three (or more) downfield with 7-10 yard routes to be contained.

I did not see a consistent Yale ground attack in the game I saw at Fisher becasue the Eli got behind early and were forced to throw.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
My concern about Yale is more of a combination of a somewhat porous offensive line, which requires (at times) two TEs back to protect, coupled with a defensive secondary that appears to be a step slow on coverage of middle routes.

Offensively, the Eli are hampered by the need to keep extra protection back for Witt. That does not bode well for them when they get behind and have to rely principally on the passing game. Defensively, the Yale DBs are capable and speedy enough to cover deep but not so when opponents have three (or more) downfield with 7-10 yard routes to be contained.

I did not see a consistent Yale ground attack in the game I saw at Fisher becasue the Eli got behind early and were forced to throw.

Yale certainly has had a consistent ground attack against the 3 Ivy schools they have played. 150+ yards against Cornell and 250+ yards against Dartmouth and Penn.

Maybe PL schools are just better against the run.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yale certainly has had a consistent ground attack against the 3 Ivy schools they have played. 150+ yards against Cornell and 250+ yards against Dartmouth and Penn.

Maybe PL schools are just better against the run.

I'm not sure whether it's the PL schools (in particular Lafayette, in this case) having a better run defense, or a question of coaching. I think Tom Williams might have come into the game thinking that Lafayette was not especially proficient at stopping the run. Perhaps as well he got caught off guard with the development of Lafayette's defensive secondary. Once Yale got behind, Williams' game plan might have changed.

Yale will have to contend with the Crimson DLs and selective Harvard blitzes, while still allowing Witt his options, and then hope that Harvard's Treavor Scales is the only real ground weapon on which the Eli must focus.

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks, bulldog! Little too soon for me to go off half-cocked on The Game. Lots of preliminaries left: Harvard-Dartmouth, Yale-Brown, Harvard-Penn, etc. One thing is for sure: Harvard has to tighten up its run D to where it was. Giving up 250+ rushing to the Tiggers was unforgivable. Lucklily, Harvard had the better passing game.