View Full Version : CSJ: Projecting the FCS Playoff Field, Week 9

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/69-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-9

A projected playoff field dominated by at-larges from "power conferences" - and Cal Poly.

danefan
October 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
LFN - is CSJ your new home?

van
October 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Brave call for Cal Poly and Sac St, but certainly possible.

Have to disagree with your brackets though, Sac St gets a bye over N Iowa, ODU and UNH?

unigriff
October 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow. there are so many things wrong with this brack projection...i cringe to even read the bottom half of it.

Firstly..as a MVFC bias person..I can understand 2 only getting in...however, 3 is probably more possible.

5 CAAs...i'd say a 4 is a lock...5 is a stretch, but seeing how the east coast usually is well represented every year in every sport in every division it seems...I can understand 5.

The biggest thing is to say that the #2 team in the nation (UNI)...even if they lose tomorrow to NDSU, would be in the play in game (while still probably being ranked top 5) AND the unanimous #1 Georgia Southern doesn't even get a seed, yet Wofford does just because they won a top heavy SoCon (tho, those top half are very good).

And to top it all off...Maine as the #1 seed? Really? if NDSU were to beat UNI and win out..they'd be the overwhelming #1 seed IMO whether GaSo....wins out (except Alabama) or not. To be honest, I can't even see right now how Maine would get a top 5 seed.

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Assuming NDSU wins tomorrow, and doesn't have a L, 11-0, win over BCS Minnesota, who can POSSIBLY ahead of Bison?

I'm w/ Griff on this one. Likewise InSt would likely be in if 7-4, as they have a FBS win in their resume. Definitely need to win vs IL St.

RichH2
October 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Long way to go but looks pretty solid. If your brackes are in seeded order, my only guibble would be Maine over N.Dak St

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Wow. there are so many things wrong with this brack projection...i cringe to even read the bottom half of it.

Firstly..as a MVFC bias person..I can understand 2 only getting in...however, 3 is probably more possible.

5 CAAs...i'd say a 4 is a lock...5 is a stretch, but seeing how the east coast usually is well represented every year in every sport in every division it seems...I can understand 5.

The biggest thing is to say that the #2 team in the nation (UNI)...even if they lose tomorrow to NDSU, would be in the play in game (while still probably being ranked top 5) AND the unanimous #1 Georgia Southern doesn't even get a seed, yet Wofford does just because they won a top heavy SoCon (tho, those top half are very good).

And to top it all off...Maine as the #1 seed? Really? if NDSU were to beat UNI and win out..they'd be the overwhelming #1 seed IMO whether GaSo....wins out (except Alabama) or not. To be honest, I can't even see right now how Maine would get a top 5 seed.

If Maine wins out they will get a seed. They would be 10-1 with the only loss @Pitt

joeybrownerhof
October 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Assuming NDSU wins tomorrow, and doesn't have a L, 11-0, win over BCS Minnesota, who can POSSIBLY ahead of Bison?

I'm w/ Griff on this one. Likewise InSt would likely be in if 7-4, as they have a FBS win in their resume. Definitely need to win vs IL St.

Great job but I don't think a win all remaining games 7-4 Sac State team would bypass a Indy State (7-4), Illinois State (7-4). The Big Sky is probably the 4th or 5th rated conference this year. They have not had great OCC results. The Socon, CAA and MVFC are the top 3 conferences and then there is a huge drop off to the next tier of Big Sky, Southland, Great West, Patriot.

ysubigred
October 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Griff check this out!

Do you all realize (BIG) "IF" YSU, ISU (r) and (b) all win out and UNI beats NDSU this week we'll all end up 8-3 as long as UNI and NDSU take care of business other than the games they have left with us and ISU (R~B).

Bottom line: 5 8-3 MVFC teams who all goes to the playoff's and who's left out? OR do we all go?

jmufan999
October 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Really doesn't matter that much anyway (Maine or NDSU for #1 seed), because #1 and #2 have homefield advantage all the way to Frisco.

DJKyR0
October 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Likewise InSt would likely be in if 7-4, as they have a FBS win in their resume. Definitely need to win vs IL St.

They already played, Illinois State won 17-14.

FanofFCS
October 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
TSN's weekly bracket:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

asknoquarter21
October 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
TSN's weekly bracket:

ASU @ JMU???

Did I read that right?

UIWWildthing
October 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
TSN's weekly bracket:

Home playoff game? I'll take it!!

TheBisonator
October 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM

GSU will stay ahead of NDSU if both run the table.

As an FCS FB fan, you should only be concerned with getting a top-2 seed, cause the final game is on neutral turf.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
ASU @ JMU???

Did I read that right?

They had ASU @ Jax State and ASU @ SHSU in previous brackets. They have absolutely no idea how nonseeded home teams are decided.

bleedingblue
October 28th, 2011, 10:55 PM
How is wofford in the drivers seat with a loss in the socon? If GSU wins out they are in the drivers seat.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
How is wofford in the drivers seat with a loss in the socon? If GSU wins out they are in the drivers seat.

If Wofford, Georgia Southern, or App win out... they are SoCon champs.

stevdock
October 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM
GSU will stay ahead of NDSU if both run the table.

As an FCS FB fan, you should only be concerned with getting a top-2 seed, cause the final game is on neutral turf.

Of course GSU would stay ahead of NDSU if they both run the table. But mainly because GSU would have beaten Alabama in their season finale. I'm kinda guessing a win over Alabama might be a touch better than a win over the Goofers.

kalm
October 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Great job but I don't think a win all remaining games 7-4 Sac State team would bypass a Indy State (7-4), Illinois State (7-4). The Big Sky is probably the 4th or 5th rated conference this year. They have not had great OCC results. The Socon, CAA and MVFC are the top 3 conferences and then there is a huge drop off to the next tier of Big Sky, Southland, Great West, Patriot.

No, there isn't. But I agree it would be close between the three.

Wildcat80
October 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Maine has a gimme today vs Nova then home games vs towson & umass which they could lose....then UNH. For all the CAA marbles? UNH has a tougher schedule.....URI, JMU, Towson, Maine but if we win at least 3 of 4 will be in great shape. Agree if one wins out they should be CAA champion.

Wildcat80
October 29th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I hate to root against Maine....but I guess we should hope for a nova win today. Either way I am happy. Still really love to see nova lose.

CopperCat
October 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Montana getting the autobid over MSU? Did this guy forget that the Brawl is in Bozeman this year and that MSU has one of the best offenses in the country and THE best defense in the Big Sky?

I guess after MSU beat the defending national champs on the road along with the nation's top rushing offense (also on the road) there is still some respect to be gained.xcoffeex