PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 07:35 AM
The weather gurus are calling for anywhere from a coating to a foot of snow in the Northeast tomorrow!! Looks like we'll see our first snow games of the year!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/weekend-storm-wet-snow_2011-10-26

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Keep it there, we haven't had any here (Fargo) yet and we would like to keep it that way...until Christmas, then melt the next day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Keep it there, we haven't had any here (Fargo) yet and we would like to keep it that way...until Christmas, then melt the next day.

I'm leaving for Grand Forks next Sunday! Hopefully the weather cooperates while i'm out there.

Gil Dobie
October 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Talked to an office in Ft Collins yesterday, they had 7 inches the night before. Still getting my leaves off the yard, heck, most of them are still on the trees.

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm leaving for Grand Forks next Sunday! Hopefully the weather cooperates while i'm out there.

So far no precip of any kind until Sat. Nov 5th and its just sprinkles. So far so good!!

UD77
October 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Talked to an office in Ft Collins yesterday, they had 7 inches the night before. Still getting my leaves off the yard, heck, most of them are still on the trees.

That is the Global warming thing.

Dane96
October 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I may have to break out the snowboard two weeks early....

danefan
October 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/winter/ski_ne_600x405.jpg

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Snow? What is this..snow? I thought Snow was a bad Canadian rapper...

Pard4Life
October 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
What.... are you serious?? I thought it was like a coating.

Time to break out the bubushka hat!

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I took the trash out last night and nearly fell on my *** because of the slick white ****.

I expect plenty of snow...just not this early. We had no fall in New England this year. All hot and muggy then its snowing...wtf!

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Good thing we're playing a team that never deals with snow so we can use this to our advantage..... Opps, never mind, we're still gonna get killed.

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/winter/ski_ne_600x405.jpg

Now I'm no meteorologist, and granted half the meteorologists don't seem to have a clue, but I just don't get how we are supposed to get 3-6" here. The temperatures at Nova aren't supposed to get below 37 degrees here any time during the precipitation. While I know snow depends on the the temperature up in the clouds and not so much down here, I don't see how 3" will accumulate when its 40 degrees out here.

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
And my Miami Dolphins play the Giants this Sunday...damn you snow!! I don't see Miami getting their first win this week.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Why is it whenever someone posts something about weather the anti-Global Warming folks come out of the woodwork? Before you post stuff like this, get a knowledge base together on why we are getting more snow in more southern climates (and yes, it does have to do with global warming research).

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
A snow game in Easton beats a rain game any day. Low 30s with a calm win and a few inches of snow is just fine. Howling winds with a driving rain - not so much.

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
And my Miami Dolphins play the Giants this Sunday...damn you snow!! I don't see Miami getting their first win this week.

The snow will be gone by Sunday.

At any rate, I really want your Dolphins to win...beat the Giants, please!

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
The snow will be gone by Sunday.

At any rate, I really want your Dolphins to win...beat the Giants, please!

I just think of the 1993 Miami at Dallas Thanksgiving game in the snowstorm in Dallas. Miami won thanks to Leon Lett, but Miami can win in snow. As for beating the Giants...I hope!! We cannot be the 2011 version of the 0-16 Detriot Lions.

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I just think of the 1993 Miami at Dallas Thanksgiving game in the snowstorm in Dallas. Miami won thanks to Leon Lett, but Miami can win in snow. As for beating the Giants...I hope!! We cannot be the 2011 version of the 0-16 Detriot Lions.

Its not like because they play in Miami they've never lived or played in snow. Alot of these guys are from up north, or went to school there, especially at Big 10, MWC, Big XII, and even some Pac 10 schools that get plenty of snow

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Its not like because they play in Miami they've never lived or played in snow. Alot of these guys are from up north, or went to school there, especially at Big 10, MWC, Big XII, and even some Pac 10 schools that get plenty of snow

But didn't the Bucs have like a 0 for the century in weather under 35? A lot of their players were not from Florida. And Miami is warmer than Tampa.

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM

I remember that T-Day game...damn Leon Lett. HA. Anyways, I will be watching, so go Phins!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Now I'm no meteorologist, and granted half the meteorologists don't seem to have a clue, but I just don't get how we are supposed to get 3-6" here. The temperatures at Nova aren't supposed to get below 37 degrees here any time during the precipitation. While I know snow depends on the the temperature up in the clouds and not so much down here, I don't see how 3" will accumulate when its 40 degrees out here.

The last snow game I went to was down there. I don't remember the temp being much below 35.
Cold and wet. It sucked. I'm sure it didn't feel as cold and we on the Villanova side line that day.

The game we played @ UMaine the last game of the season the year before was much colder, but because nothing melted you could stay dry.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Maybe, but snow football is terrific.

mainejeff
October 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm sick of having to play in the snowbound Mid-Atlantic........October.....seriously? They always have such terrible weather there.

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Maybe, but snow football is terrific.

xthumbsupx

Brings back memories of an all-time classic.

http://www.egriz.com/grizpics/albums/grizpics/2009/football/appstate/griz-vs-app-state-59.jpg

StorminASU
October 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
xthumbsupx

http://www.egriz.com/grizpics/albums/grizpics/2009/football/appstate/griz-vs-app-state-59.jpg

It's still too soon to post pictures of that xbawlingx

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
snow?

meanwhile, sunny and 74 degrees predicted for the Stanford/USC football game Saturday at the Coliseum

Well that's no fun!

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
It's still too soon to post pictures of that xbawlingx

Whoops. xcoolx

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
The last snow game I went to was down there. I don't remember the temp being much below 35.
Cold and wet. It sucked. I'm sure it didn't feel as cold and we on the Villanova side line that day.

I've been looking around but I can't find an article listing the game time temperature. By the end of the game it was well below 35. It might not have been that bad at the start, but by 6:30 it was. Maybe I just remember it being a lot colder because of how soaked I was.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SO&Date=20091206&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=912060344&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80

Wildcat80
October 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm sick of having to play in the snowbound Mid-Atlantic........October.....seriously? They always have such terrible weather there.

Villanova weather is worse than Durham! Not sure about Orono?? Jeff is LB Achey injured?

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Check that 34 at kick off, you were pretty much spot on. But I'm sure it dropped to at least 30 as the night went on.

NHwildEcat
October 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
there are some "fun" benefits to USC home football games in warm weather:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/410/222/usc-song-girls_display_image.jpg?1285296462

+1

darell1976
October 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
there are some "fun" benefits to USC home football games in warm weather:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/410/222/usc-song-girls_display_image.jpg?1285296462

That can warm a person up on a cold and snowy night.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
The Weather Channel just changed the "winter storm watch" to a "winter storm warning" for Northeast PA. They're now calling for 6-12 inches.

veinup
October 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM
bring da snow.

hawkineer
October 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Who would of thunk it? A better weather forecast for Hamilton, NY (no snow) than Bethlehem, PA (6" of snow) in late October. I'll be making the trip up from Scranton. Should be an interesting ride back home afterwards.

mainejeff
October 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Villanova weather is worse than Durham! Not sure about Orono?? Jeff is LB Achey injured?

Nothing can be worse than Orono........it's the end of the Earth dincha know? All of these places getting snow this weekend are really Orono........we've tricked all of you.......ha ha ha.

Grizo406
October 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
xthumbsupx

The ABSOLUTE BEST GAME I've ever seen in person @ Washington/Grizzly!xnodxxnodxxnodx

It was very cold, and extremely loud on that particular Saturday, too!!

Seawolf97
October 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
And Coastal Carolina visits Long Island Saturday. Still only calling for dusting after it rains most of the day. Give our visitors something to talk about. Not many snow games in Conway -LOL

ASU_Fanatic
October 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
The ABSOLUTE BEST GAME I've ever seen in person @ Washington/Grizzly!xnodxxnodxxnodx

It was very cold, and extremely loud on that particular Saturday, too!!

and The Rock will be empty tomorrow....thats why Montana has the best fans in the country

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Going to give this a try...Check out all of the potential 'SNOW' games for Saturday...

URI @ UNH
Yale @ Columbia
Drake @ Marist
Sacred Heart @ Robert Morris
CCSU @ St. Francis (PA)
Albany @ Wagner
Penn @ Brown
SCSU @ Howard
Georgetown @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Princeton
Morgan St. @ Delaware St.
Duquesne @ Monmouth
W. Illinois @ Youngstown St.
Maine @ Villanova
Fordham @ Army
Coastal Carolina @ Stony Brook
Dartmouth @ Harvard
Bucknell @ Lafayette
Delaware @ Towson

While some of the 19 games I found may only see a few flakes, the bolded ones should truly be a football fans dream for snow games...

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I've only personally been at one game of significant snow (Nova UNH 2009 playoffs). With all these projected forecasts of Snow/rain or wintry mixes, which is actually worse to play in: a icy, wintry mix or normal powdery snow?
I was wondering this as a read some comments earlier in the week in a thread about about GSU would have an advantage running the ball in the rain and the counter argument that the rain actually lends itself to a better passing game then running game.

Wildcat80
October 28th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Going to give this a try...Check out all of the potential 'SNOW' games for Saturday...

URI @ UNH
Yale @ Columbia
Drake @ Marist
CCSU @ St. Francis (PA)
Albany @ Wagner
Penn @ Brown
SCSU @ Howard
Georgetown @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Princeton
Duquesne @ Monmouth
Maine @ Villanova
Fordham @ Army
Dartmouth @ Harvard
Bucknell @ Lafayette
Delaware @ Towson

While some of the 19 games I found may only see a few flakes, the bolded ones should truly be a football fans dream for snow games...

villa nova? Towson? Storm moving right thru them too.

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Forecast is calling it rain/snow at kickoff as of right now on the mainline atleast. Not really a purist snow lovers's dream

ngineer
October 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM

URI @ UNH
Yale @ Columbia
Drake @ Marist
CCSU @ St. Francis (PA)
Albany @ Wagner
Penn @ Brown
SCSU @ Howard
Georgetown @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Princeton
Duquesne @ Monmouth
Maine @ Villanova
Fordham @ Army
Dartmouth @ Harvard
Bucknell @ Lafayette
Delaware @ Towson

If the storm shifts just a little north, the Lehigh-Colgate game could also be done in white.

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM
If the storm shifts just a little north, the Lehigh-Colgate game could also be done in white.

Correct. Going off an earlier post of nothing expected in Hamilton...

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Not 6-15 inches worth when I posted...They should get a few inches at least I was just pointing out games which may be REDICULOUS

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Updated Projections

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnews10_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I can't believe snow derailed my plans to go to Colgate. In Scranton, no less.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I can't believe snow derailed my plans to go to Colgate. In Scranton, no less.

Haha, the good old Electric City. You poor soul.....

81 should be fine. The road crews do a very good job, we're use to it up here. I can't see it being anything more than just wet. Once you get about 25 miles north of Scranton conditions should improve considerably.

I've traveled to and from Syracuse in every type of condition imaginable and made it. The road crews are really that good.