PDA

View Full Version : Reps in SC Throw Fit over SC State Ticket Scenario

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Unbeliveable! South Carolina St has a state Senator who is trying to start a fiasco. Apparently, he is throwing a fit because SC State is only going to get a 2000 ticket allotment from South Carolina in 2007, if the two teams match up on the field. According to South Carolina, they only give 2000 tickets to I-AA schools such as Wofford and Furman, both in-state I-AAs.

Seems like they are pulling the race card too. The state Sen says what South Carolina's athletic department is doing is ‘‘irreverent and derided the African American community by limiting the school’s ability to sell more tickets.’’

Then, he pulled out this one, ‘‘For them to offer South Carolina State 2,000 tickets is a big insult and total disrespect to black people in South Carolina and black folks are already mad,’’ Ford said. ‘‘It was an irresponsible, stupid mistake.’’

Ah, so it's an attack against black people? How so? Seems to be a consistent policy!

No joke! Thoughts from the MEAC, SC State community?

COLUMBIA, S.C. — University of South Carolina President Andrew Sorenson wants the athletic department to look at how many tickets it is offering South Carolina State when the Bulldogs come to Columbia for a 2007 game.

Sorenson’s request came after Sen. Robert Ford, D-Charleston, wrote a letter criticizing South Carolina State’s proposed allocation of around 2,000 tickets in Williams-Brice Stadium, which seats more than 80,000.

Sorenson has talked with athletic officials at both schools about the contract for the 2007 game, which has not been finalized, University of South Carolina spokesman Russ McKinney said Tuesday.

In his letter to Sorenson last week, Ford wrote the 2,000 tickets were ‘‘irreverent and derided the African American community by limiting the school’s ability to sell more tickets.’’

‘‘We as the members of the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus contend that South Carolina State University should have the opportunity to sell tickets to their students, alumni and fans,’’ Ford wrote.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Ford said he would not be satisfied with less than 20,000 tickets for South Carolina State.

The 2,000-ticket allotment is what South Carolina offers all Division I-AA teams, including other in-state schools like Furman and Wofford, athletic spokesman Steve Fink said.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14486212.htm

rokamortis
May 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Politicians being politicians I guess.

One wanted to propose legislation to have the in-state I-A teams play as many in-state I-AA as possible. Now another criticizes for lack of tickets supplied. Don't these guys ahve better things to do, like finish the budget, fix the higher education lack of funding, and try to get some property value relief?

I guess SC could just cancel the game, problem solved :bawling:

Coastal89
May 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Unbeliveable! South Carolina St has a state Senator who is trying to start a fiasco. Apparently, he is throwing a fit because SC State is only going to get a 2000 ticket allotment from South Carolina in 2007, if the two teams match up on the field. According to South Carolina, they only give 2000 tickets to I-AA schools such as Wofford and Furman, both in-state I-AAs.

Seems like they are pulling the race card too. The state Sen says what South Carolina's athletic department is doing is ‘‘irreverent and derided the African American community by limiting the school’s ability to sell more tickets.’’

Then, he pulled out this one, ‘‘For them to offer South Carolina State 2,000 tickets is a big insult and total disrespect to black people in South Carolina and black folks are already mad,’’ Ford said. ‘‘It was an irresponsible, stupid mistake.’’

Ah, so it's an attack against black people? How so? Seems to be a consistent policy!

No joke! Thoughts from the MEAC, SC State community?

COLUMBIA, S.C. — University of South Carolina President Andrew Sorenson wants the athletic department to look at how many tickets it is offering South Carolina State when the Bulldogs come to Columbia for a 2007 game.

Sorenson’s request came after Sen. Robert Ford, D-Charleston, wrote a letter criticizing South Carolina State’s proposed allocation of around 2,000 tickets in Williams-Brice Stadium, which seats more than 80,000.

Sorenson has talked with athletic officials at both schools about the contract for the 2007 game, which has not been finalized, University of South Carolina spokesman Russ McKinney said Tuesday.

In his letter to Sorenson last week, Ford wrote the 2,000 tickets were ‘‘irreverent and derided the African American community by limiting the school’s ability to sell more tickets.’’

‘‘We as the members of the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus contend that South Carolina State University should have the opportunity to sell tickets to their students, alumni and fans,’’ Ford wrote.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Ford said he would not be satisfied with less than 20,000 tickets for South Carolina State.

The 2,000-ticket allotment is what South Carolina offers all Division I-AA teams, including other in-state schools like Furman and Wofford, athletic spokesman Steve Fink said.

Buy a dam ticket on the street outside the stadium on gameday for $5 or less. Seriously, there will be plenty of tickets available for I-AA opponents at W-B, Carolina folk ain't too happy about those games being scheduled. Especially with ticket prices going up again.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
I'm going to guess here and say that SC State was promised one allotment of tickets (say, 4,000) and instead was given the normal allotment (2,000).

2,000 for about an 80,000 stadium? Sounds about right, BTW.

R.A.
May 3rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
It's my understanding that SCSU fans aren't behind him, and don't support what he's doing.

eaglesrthe1
May 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Buy a dam ticket on the street outside the stadium on gameday for $5 or less. Seriously, there will be plenty of tickets available for I-AA opponents at W-B, Carolina folk ain't too happy about those games being scheduled. Especially with ticket prices going up again.

The ticket prices outside the stadium will be determined by the market. The game might would generate a decent amount of interest from the SCSU fans. For instance, when GSU has played at UGA, they have allotted 10k tickets to GSU, which are quickly snapped up. Outside the stadium on game day, I know of tickets going for $75 or more. The place is always packed.

The part that is really pissing off to the GSU fans, is that GSU collects considerably LESS than other I-AA opponents, even though the Eagles deliver the fans.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
It's my understanding that SCSU fans aren't behind him, and don't support what he's doing.

Which makes sense...

I think it's just this state Senator causing a stink from what I've read online. It's not a surprise considering how politicians will be politicians, but of course this bloke pulls the 'race card'...

AppGuy04
May 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
This Senator is an idiot just trying to get his name out there, but it might backfire on him

blukeys
May 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
This Senator is an idiot just trying to get his name out there, but it might backfire on him

I doubt it! While SC State fans may not feel the slight, SC State is not even in his district! He can go back to his constituents and claim he is standing up for his people. Most people don't realize that SC State fans will probably have no problem buying tickets directly from USC. A phone call can probably get a SC State fan a better seat then buying one of the allotment seats.

eaglesrthe1
May 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Most people don't realize that SC State fans will probably have no problem buying tickets directly from USC. A phone call can probably get a SC State fan a better seat then buying one of the allotment seats.

I belive that WB stadium "sells out" for all home games. If there is a lack of interest in an opponent then a ticket can be repurchased on game day, often at a discount. Those tickets may be becoming less available due to increased interest in Gamecock football, thanks to Steve Spurrier.

BgJag
May 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Unbeliveable! South Carolina St has a state Senator who is trying to start a fiasco.

:confused:

3rd Coast Tiger
May 3rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Unbeliveable! South Carolina St has a state Senator who is trying to start a fiasco...

Seems like they are pulling the race card too....

I think it's just this state Senator causing a stink from what I've read online...

Make up your mind Texas Terror! Who is it? SCSU Fans or Senator Ford's? xlolx

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Make up your mind Texas Terror! Who is it? SCSU Fans or Senator Ford's? xlolx

Senator Ford...

Thanks to your "outgoing" President Priscilla Slade though for leading to a false statement about our SHSU president in the Chronicle...

Dear Editor:

In the Sunday Houston Chronicle’s article on TSU president Priscilla Slade, the paper stated that I had been reimbursed for my wife’s travel to Montreal and Hawaii. This statement is completely false, and I have written the Chronicle seeking a retraction. My wife Nancy did accompany me on those trips. However I did not seek, nor did I receive, any reimbursement for expenses associated with her travel.

Sincerely,

James F. Gaertner

bosshogg
May 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
this guy does not speak for scsu, he didn't even go to SCSU, and I don't believe he even graduated from any college...scsu fans are in an uproar about this and have written letters to the senator, and the local newspapers all saying that this guy ford is an idiot. SCSU doesn't need any hand outs.....that is part of the problem these days......just give SCSU the same deal that others get. when SCSU and USC negotiated this deal, we new how many tickets we were getting and we agreed.......Sen. Ford was not part of that negotiation, and I know that SCSU's AD does not agree with this clown. I am expecting her to make a statement saying so anytime now.

where was this senator when our research funding got cut? Was he in an uprroar then? Dude needs to get his priorities straight..

check out the commentary on this topic here

http://scstate.blogspot.com/2006/05/south-carolina-reviews-ticket.html

catdaddy2402
May 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
All this will accomplish is make sure that if SCSU wants to play a paycheck game against a 1-A they'll have to go outside of SC to do it.

There are enough 1-AA teams in South Carolina if Clemson and USC feels the need to schedule one, and both Furman and The Citadel have historic conference ties to both instate 1-A's.

HIU 93
May 4th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Unbeliveable! South Carolina St has a state Senator who is trying to start a fiasco.

Seems like they are pulling the race card too.

I didn't know SC State had an elected legislature, especially senators.:rolleyes:

Yeah, by all information available, Sen. Ford is dead wrong on this one. You know who is just as wrong? You guessed it, Texas Terror! Your friendly neighborhood Texas Terrorist has struck again. He has attempted to smear the good name of SCSU (an HBCU), and then, once he sees he is not getting the response he wants, he attempts to deflect the issue by throwing dirt on another HBCU (Texas Southern). Can we see a pattern here? Since I have decided to respond to his weak attempt at a smear campaign, I'm sure he will now try to find dirt on Hampton. Good luck. I'll be waiting with baited breath!xlolx

walliver
May 4th, 2006, 07:15 AM
SC State fans actually would be better off buying tickets directly from USC. Williams-Brice Stadium looks like a modern football stadium from a distance, but at its core is a glorified high school stadium. The I-AA allotment tickets are at ground level on the goal-line. The seats are not elevated above the walkway in front of it. People sitting in the first 4-5 rows have to stand to see over people walking in front of them. And, of course, the people in rows behind that have to stand to see over the people in the first fews rows. You will probably see more action on the Jumbotron than on the field.

The particular state senator involved is one of those people who likes stirring up racial issues. It gets his name in the paper, he gets to be on TV, and his core constituency (which is primarily lower-income, generally under-educated, has few college graduates of any kind, and rarely attends USC or SCSU games) supports him.

Isn't SC a great place, cock fighting is legal, but the state government wants to regulate sex toys, football schedules, and football ticket sales:D

bluehenbillk
May 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Dumb argument & extremely easy to solve. How many tickets does South Carolina allot SEC opponents, who have infinitely more fans than SCSU can ever dream of? If they don't get any more, well, case closed.

Catmendue2
May 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I didn't know SC State had an elected legislature, especially senators.:rolleyes:

Yeah, by all information available, Sen. Ford is dead wrong on this one. You know who is just as wrong? You guessed it, Texas Terror! Your friendly neighborhood Texas Terrorist has struck again. He has attempted to smear the good name of SCSU (an HBCU), and then, once he sees he is not getting the response he wants, he attempts to deflect the issue by throwing dirt on another HBCU (Texas Southern). Can we see a pattern here? Since I have decided to respond to his weak attempt at a smear campaign, I'm sure he will now try to find dirt on Hampton. Good luck. I'll be waiting with baited breath!xlolx

Do like me stop reading his stupid posts and avoid him like the plague.:nod: :D

89Hen
May 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I belive that WB stadium "sells out" for all home games.
:nod: Even when they sucked they still were in the top 15 in I-A attendance. 1999 (0-11) 14. South Carolina - 78,273 (Cap is 80)

89Hen
May 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I'll be waiting with baited breath!
That is perhaps the most telling misspell I have ever seen on these boards. xlolx :nod:

3rd Coast Tiger
May 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Amazing how we are the only posters that can "see" this. The ultimate instigator at his finest.

El_Cid_99
May 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Sen. Ford darn near ran me off the road about two years ago on I-26 between Charleston and Columbia in his haste to make it to the statehouse
to vote on another pressing issue... All I saw was a rear-view mirror full of his grill. He passed me on the shoulder, and I was doing close to 80 mph..

I guess the state didn't "allocate" enough highway lanes for him, either.

OL FU
May 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Most people miss the sad humor.

First we have a representative that starts talking up making USC and Clemson play in-state I-AA's, then we have a representative that wants to ban sex toys and now we have a representative complaining cuz USC doesn't offer enough tickets.

Thank God for Mississippi or SC would be last in education.
Our unemployment rate is above national averages.
Per capita income has always been near the bottom.
Our tax rate while better than most states is still high when you consider the level of services provided.
We have trouble (lately) attracting business investment even though we are a very low cost low regulation state.

And yet our representatives, can't agree on tax incentives and just put forth a budget increasing expenses by 13% which I, based on past experience, will do little other than was that money down the drain.

But our politicians and people know what is important - FOOTBALL AND SEX. Geez:rolleyes:

Kudos to SC State getting that game. If I know the State fans they will find a way to get tickets and will have a very loud voice in WB. Go Bulldogs.

Catmendue2
May 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Why don't we start a thread about Texas Terrorist real agenda, ie Why does he hate the HBCU so deeply. He seem so hurt.:hurray:

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Why don't we start a thread about Texas Terrorist real agenda, ie Why does he hate the HBCU so deeply. He seem so hurt.:hurray:

Don't tell me...it's because I'm racist, right? xlolx

Because you think I wouldn't get SC State any tickets? xidiotx

Or is it because an HBCU gave me my first job out of college? :bow:

Perhaps because an HBCU that I did contract work for took three months to pay me (after I bailed them out due to inadequate full-timestaffing), much longer than any other work I've done contract stuff for? :nono:

Back to the subject fellas! This State Senator is crazy! I never smeared South Carolina St as the thread reads "Reps in SC Throw Fit", not South Carolina St throws fit. Your just trying to make me come off like the bad guy, but this was an interesting story that involves I-AA and politics, two of my interests...

Oh wait, it's an HBCU, can I not post that? They're I-AA right. ASG is a I-AA board. Stop your crying! :bawling:

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
The South Carolina St President made a great statement in response to this whole issue brought forth by Mr Ford...

COLUMBIA (AP, WLTX) - South Carolina State University's athletics director says she believes common ground can be found between her school and USC over football tickets for their game in 2007.

Charlene Johnson released a statement on Thursday. The statement reads:

"The ticket allocation the University of South Carolina provided to South Carolina State University for the 2007 football contest is consistent with their policy for Division I-AA schools and the contract signed between the two institutions. However, SCSU and USC are keenly aware of the high interest in the first historic meeting of the universities in football. USC and SCSU have partnered on a number of joint ventures in the past and have been able to find common ground. We are confident that common ground will be found in this instance as well and there will be an amicable resolution in the matter. USC is sensitive to our needs and we are encouraged that they will do all they can to accommodate the loyal fans of SCSU."

Earlier this week, USC President Andrew Sorenson asked his school's athletic department to look at how many tickets it is offering S.C. State. Sorenson's request came after Ford wrote a letter criticizing S.C. State's proposed allocation of around 2,000 tickets. Williams-Brice Stadium seats more than 80,000 fans. Ford says South Carolina State should get 20,000 tickets.

http://www.wltx.com/news/news19.aspx?storyid=37610

Catmendue2
May 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Don't tell me...it's because I'm racist, right? xlolx

Because you think I wouldn't get SC State any tickets? xidiotx

Or is it because an HBCU gave me my first job out of college? :bow:

Perhaps because an HBCU that I did contract work for took three months to pay me (after I bailed them out due to inadequate full-timestaffing), much longer than any other work I've done contract stuff for? :nono:

Back to the subject fellas! This State Senator is crazy! I never smeared South Carolina St as the thread reads "Reps in SC Throw Fit", not South Carolina St throws fit. Your just trying to make me come off like the bad guy, but this was an interesting story that involves I-AA and politics, two of my interests...

Oh wait, it's an HBCU, can I not post that? They're I-AA right. ASG is a I-AA board. Stop your crying! :bawling:

Yeah, whateva you said you did, you did, I just wonder what else you did that you are not telling us about. You got it Bad. Your hate runs deeper than racist, at least you are open about that part tho.:hurray: .

Lehigh Football Nation
May 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Earlier this week, USC President Andrew Sorenson asked his school's athletic department to look at how many tickets it is offering S.C. State. Sorenson's request came after Ford wrote a letter criticizing S.C. State's proposed allocation of around 2,000 tickets. Williams-Brice Stadium seats more than 80,000 fans. Ford says South Carolina State should get 20,000 tickets.

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

SC State has a total enrollment of 4,294. That means that he wants a ticket policy that gives enough tickets for every undergrad... and their parents and siblings.

Good luck, buddy. If I can expose this in 5 minutes of googling, imagine what his political opponents might do.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, whateva you said you did, you did, I just wonder what else you did that you are not telling us about. You got it Bad. Your hate runs deeper than racist, at least you are open about that part tho.:hurray: .

I'm not racist. That was absolute sarcasm...xidiotx

Don't get your hopes up. I don't have a racist bone in body. :nod:

Not my fault it's much easier to get information on HBCUs at the I-AA level. You can thank Nick Deriso and his colleagues for that! :bow:

If you surf through these pages, you'd know I'm always posting I-AA news I find on the 'Net. :read:

Doing my service to make AGS one of the most educated I-AA fan bases there is! :hurray:

May 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
... Doing my service to make AGS one of the most educated I-AA fan bases there is! :hurray:Thanks TT.

rokamortis
May 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM

SC State has a total enrollment of 4,294. That means that he wants a ticket policy that gives enough tickets for every undergrad... and their parents and siblings.

Good luck, buddy. If I can expose this in 5 minutes of googling, imagine what his political opponents might do.

Well - looking at it the other way, SC State has been known to draw 20,000 fans to games. They had nearly that many for the CCU game last year. I don't think it is out of line to expect many of these fans to make it to a 'bigtime' game about 40 miles from Orangeburg.

Catmendue2
May 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm not racist. That was absolute sarcasm...xidiotx

Don't get your hopes up. I don't have a racist bone in body. :nod:

Not my fault it's much easier to get information on HBCUs at the I-AA level. You can thank Nick Deriso and his colleagues for that! :bow:

If you surf through these pages, you'd know I'm always posting I-AA news I find on the 'Net. :read:

Doing my service to make AGS one of the most educated I-AA fan bases there is! :hurray:

Yeah right:rolleyes:

Coastal89
May 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
S.C. State won’t get 20,000 tickets
But USC’s Hyman says he’s willing to help I-AA school ‘if we can’
By JOSEPH PERSON
[email protected]

USC athletics director Eric Hyman is open to working with S.C. State to get the historically black university more tickets for its 2007 game against the Gamecocks in Columbia.

But it will not be the 20,000 seats a state lawmaker originally said the Bulldogs should receive for the first meeting between the schools.

“I would be glad to work with them and help them if we can,” Hyman said Wednesday. “The 20,000 (proposal), that just came out of nowhere. Somebody said 20,000, I just about passed out. Where am I going to put them?”

In a letter he sent to USC last week, Sen. Robert Ford, D-Charleston, wrote that S.C. State’s allotment of 2,000 tickets for the Sept. 15, 2007 matchup was “irreverent and derided the African-American community by limiting the school’s ability to sell more tickets.”

Ford, who wrote the letter on behalf of the state’s black legislators, told the Associated Press this week he would not be satisfied with fewer than 20,000 tickets for the Orangeburg school. Ford backed off that number Wednesday when told Clemson’s allotment of 10,000 tickets was the largest among visiting teams to 80,250-seat Williams-Brice Stadium.

“If that’s what they give Clemson, I couldn’t expect any more than that,” Ford said. “I just think there should be a way to make sure South Carolina State gets more than the 2,000 they were talking about because that’s an insult.”

Under the teams’ contract, S.C. State will receive the same allotment as Wofford and Furman, two other in-state, Division I-AA programs that have upcoming games against the Gamecocks in Columbia.

The Citadel will receive 2,500 tickets for its trips to USC in 2009 and 2013. USC sports information director Steve Fink said he was uncertain why The Citadel’s allotment is larger than its I-AA peers because the associate athletics director who negotiated the contract has left USC.

However, Fink said S.C. State’s allotment of 600 complimentary tickets is 300 more than what Furman, The Citadel and Wofford each will receive. USC’s payout is the same for I-AA opponents: A guarantee of $230,000 for games through 2010 before it increases to $250,000 for games through 2014.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ford Backs Down, Ford Backs Down!

(Columbia) May 4, 2006 - The football ticket flap between USC and South Carolina State is no big problem at all, according to athletics department officials at both schools.

Charleston Senator Robert Ford wrote a letter criticizing an allocation of 2,000 tickets for the Bulldogs game with South Carolina in 2007.

Ford says South Carolina State should receive 20,000 tickets for the first-ever football game between the two teams.

Ford has since backed off that statement after learning that Clemson only gets about 10,000 tickets when they play at Williams-Brice stadium.

Normally, Carolina issues around 2,000 tickets to I-AA teams when they travel to Columbia.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4863178

3rd Coast Tiger
May 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Seems like THEY are pulling the race card too.

So South Carolina State University employs it's own state senator? Or, does Senator Ford from South Carolina is trying to start a fiasco?

Who is "they" TT? When you say "they" are you referring to Senator Ford? :confused:

Oh yeah.... what's the latest on Slade?

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
So South Carolina State University employs it's own state senator?

Nope, I said South Carolina St has a state Senator. That means, they have an individual who is representing them, whether they agree to that representation or not. Sorta like SHSU's relations with state Sen Steve Ogden, who has struck out in his representation of the "other college" in his district, with A&M being far more important... :nono:

Who is "they" TT? When you say "they" are you referring to Senator Ford? :confused:

I was referring to "they", the Senator, "the representative" that he was...

Oh yeah.... what's the latest on Slade?

Latest on Slade is that her issues are continuing to shine a negative light on the operations of Texas Southern. Considering that the "silence" of the Board of Regents led to Slade's public display and now TxSo has a lawsuit on their hands, can not be anything, but bad news for that university.

Isn't Slade's lawsuit related to the inability of the Board of Regents to follow her contract and grant her this public hearing or whatever it is? Seems to me that Texas Southern is out of control, whether it's the now former chief financial head honcho or the Board of Regents' communication flaws. Might be better off in the Houston system and it may even save the state some money...:nod:

3rd Coast Tiger
May 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Isn't Slade's lawsuit related to the inability of the Board of Regents to follow her contract and grant her this public hearing or whatever it is? Seems to me that Texas Southern is out of control, whether it's the now former chief financial head honcho or the Board of Regents' communication flaws. Might be better off in the Houston system and it may even save the state some money...:nod:

Figured that would be your stance. I got a great idea! Why don't you start an online petition to get this done?! :nod:

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Figured that would be your stance. I got a great idea! Why don't you start an online petition to get this done?! :nod:

Nope, it's nowhere near the top of my priorities for the 2007 Legislature considering a bill that I wrote myself will be filed this coming December for the following spring as well as other issues pertaining to SHSU that are of much more importance than a struggling institution in the midst of administration woes...

TxSo may be on the table in 2009 depending on how they come out of this situation...we'll see. You guys need someone that can bring the admins, faculty, staff, students and alums back together as that "puzzle" is nowhere near together...perhaps that person can put in competent leaders around them (especially staying away from those with criminal records, a break from a recent resignation at TxSo) who won't short change the school and it's students...

walliver
May 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Getting back on topic ...

Charlene Johnson released a statement on Thursday. The statement reads:

"The ticket allocation the University of South Carolina provided to South Carolina State University for the 2007 football contest is consistent with their policy for Division I-AA schools and the contract signed between the two institutions. However, SCSU and USC are keenly aware of the high interest in the first historic meeting of the universities in football. USC and SCSU have partnered on a number of joint ventures in the past and have been able to find common ground. We are confident that common ground will be found in this instance as well and there will be an amicable resolution in the matter. USC is sensitive to our needs and we are encouraged that they will do all they can to accommodate the loyal fans of SCSU

There is a signed contract, and that should be it. The AD now appears to be asking for more tickets becau8se of political reasons, but it is time to move on and get ready for football.

dungeonjoe
May 5th, 2006, 06:59 AM
S.C. State won’t get 20,000 tickets
But USC’s Hyman says he’s willing to help I-AA school ‘if we can’
By JOSEPH PERSON
[email protected]

Under the teams’ contract, S.C. State will receive the same allotment as Wofford and Furman, two other in-state, Division I-AA programs that have upcoming games against the Gamecocks in Columbia.

The Citadel will receive 2,500 tickets for its trips to USC in 2009 and 2013. USC sports information director Steve Fink said he was uncertain why The Citadel’s allotment is larger than its I-AA peers because the associate athletics director who negotiated the contract has left USC.

However, Fink said S.C. State’s allotment of 600 complimentary tickets is 300 more than what Furman, The Citadel and Wofford each will receive. USC’s payout is the same for I-AA opponents: A guarantee of $230,000 for games through 2010 before it increases to $250,000 for games through 2014.

So does this mean Wofford gets 2000, 1900, or 600 tickets for this year?

OL FU
May 5th, 2006, 07:08 AM

No kidding. I couldn't tell who received how many.

Congrats on the baseball win. :hurray:

walliver
May 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM

It looks like 300 free tickets.
I can't tell if the 300 free tickets are part of the 2000 allotment. I can tell you that if they are the same seats we got in 2001 that they suck big time.

HIU 93
May 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Stop your crying! :bawling:

Maybe you should take your own advice...

"I was fired by a HBCU. They didn't pay me. WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!:bawling:"

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Was not fired by an HBCU...they gave me a chance, I took the ball and ran with it...now I'm into another phase of my career, still in sports and recreation (at a premier facility) while doing contract work on the side, even for an HBCU or two...must be they liked having a racist around, eh? :rolleyes:

3rd Coast Tiger
May 5th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Amazing how if some of us were put within the same room that some of these discussions would not be happening! xlolx

By the way, you forgot to post the picture of her house in the other thread.

HIU 93
May 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Amazing how if some of us were put within the same room that some of these discussions would not be happening! xlolx

By the way, you forgot to post the picture of her house in the other thread.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, if we were in the same room with some of these clowns, they wouldn't have ANYTHING to say. Chances are, if we were in the same elevator with Texas Terror, he would be clutching his purse xlolx, afriad we were going to mug him!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

R.A.
May 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
-I still think a return trip too Orangeburg isn;t out of the question, especially after SCSU makes their Stadium additions.

OL FU
May 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Maybe you should take your own advice...

Nice post on the now closed thread re: reverse racism. Easy to have some small difference but in the larger context, you nailed it. :nod: :beerchug:

rokamortis
May 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
-I still think a return trip too Orangeburg isn;t out of the question, especially after SCSU makes their Stadium additions.

I don't think that there is even a remote possibility of that while SC State is still I-AA. Nothing against SC State - I just don't think they'll play at a I-AA from now to eternity.

Coastal89
May 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I don't think that there is even a remote possibility of that while SC State is still I-AA. Nothing against SC State - I just don't think they'll play at a I-AA from now to eternity.
Like all major I-A programs, South Carolina won't even travel to most such places as S. Florida, Troy, ULL, or New Mex. St., all opponents of theirs in the past few years. Why should they? Besides these schools want the money that coming to Cola. pays.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Well if the A and AA tags are removed....:smiley_wi

I would like to see (maybe I should say hear about) a return visit to Dawson by the Gamecocks but I don't think pride would allow that to happen.

jstate83
May 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Honestly............................This guy need to shut the he!! up and let SCSU take care of their own business.xidiotx

If USC sell's their ticket's like the SEC/Conference USA teams here, just flood ticketmaster for ticket's for the game like we did for USM..

USM only sent up 4000 ticket's both times we played them. We had at least 15,000 of the 35,000 in that stadium.

There are way's of doing things and he is making it BAAAAAD for the SCSU team.

Reguardless of what happens.................YOU THINK THE "OLD ARROGENT BALLCOACH" and his team are going to forget this guy...................wether or not he has any tie's to SCSU.:eek:

Spurrier ain't scared to run up the score.

jstate83
May 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Well if the A and AA tags are removed....:smiley_wi

I would like to see (maybe I should say hear about) a return visit to Dawson by the Gamecocks but I don't think pride would allow that to happen.

No 1-A team will EVER travel to a 1-AA school........................EVEN IF IT'S THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS OF 1-AA.:nod:

Like you said..................even if you are a mid-major with a so-so team..............PRIDE.

USM and everyone in Mississippi know if they came to Jackson and Memorial, it would be 62,000 + whatever temporary endzone seat's they could set up.:nod:

PRIDE..............I can't say I blame them.
Schools work hard to STEP UP. No need of stepping back once you make that move. A 1-A would have to be pretty desperate to travel to a 1-AA.

walliver
May 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
No 1-A team will EVER travel to a 1-AA school........................EVEN IF IT'S THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS OF 1-AA.

Idaho played at Montana 2 or 3 years ago so that isn't absolutely true. If you substitute BCS for I-A then I agree 100%.

OL FU
May 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
No 1-A team will EVER travel to a 1-AA school........................EVEN IF IT'S THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS OF 1-AA.:nod:

Like you said..................even if you are a mid-major with a so-so team..............PRIDE.

USM and everyone in Mississippi know if they came to Jackson and Memorial, it would be 62,000 + whatever temporary endzone seat's they could set up.:nod:

PRIDE..............I can't say I blame them.
Schools work hard to STEP UP. No need of stepping back once you make that move. A 1-A would have to be pretty desperate to travel to a 1-AA.

That is true and in the case of USC the numbers would not let them. They put 80K butts in the stadium no matter how USC's team is performing and no matter who they play.

jstate83
May 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Idaho played at Montana 2 or 3 years ago so that isn't absolutely true. If you substitute BCS for I-A then I agree 100%.

That's the first I've heard of this happening.......................xlolx SHAT!!! xlolx ................Hat's off to the GRIZ.:nod:

This would not even be a consideration for a 1-A on this side of the Mississippi..............The Business of football is too CUT THROAT down here. :nono:

They would be a road team from then on in 1-A.
They would be laughed all the way back to 1-AA.:nod:

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Army and UMass signed a two for one...I think it was...

It can happen...

catdaddy2402
May 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Since joining the SEC South Carolina has only played 9 OOC games away from Williams-Brice, with the majority of them being Clemson.

The last time they played a non-BCS school away from Williams-Brice was in 1997 when they went to East Carolina.

It would take a miracle for SCSU to get a home game vs South Carolina.

Bulldog87
May 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ford made his case the wrong way. SCSU has played a few games at Williams Brice and averaged 40,45,000 fans. We've played FAMU,Jackson State,Citadel and Benedict(D-2). He should've said the SCSU fan base would support far more than 2,000 tickets and left the racial angle out of it. USC has a somewhat large Black fan base themselves these days and there are quite a few folks with degrees from both schools. I'm not sur how many tickets will be alloted to SCSU but but there will be a lot of BULLDOGS attempting to buy tickets for the game and the tailgate ing will be something to behold. Hopefully the weather will be nice and the game will be competitive. I would've love to faced them a year or two before Spurrier got there. The female SCSU fans will be something to see fellas. Bring your binoculars and apologize to your lady in advance for ogling.

Bulldog87
May 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ford made his case the wrong way. SCSU has played a few games at Williams Brice and averaged 40,45,000 fans. We've played FAMU,Jackson State,Citadel and Benedict(D-2). He should've said the SCSU fan base would support far more than 2,000 tickets and left the racial angle out of it. USC has a somewhat large Black fan base themselves these days and there are quite a few folks with degrees from both schools. I'm not sur how many tickets will be alloted to SCSU but but there will be a lot of BULLDOGS attempting to buy tickets for the game and the tailgate ing will be something to behold. Hopefully the weather will be nice and the game will be competitive. I would've love to faced them a year or two before Spurrier got there. The female SCSU fans will be something to see fellas. Bring your binoculars and apologize to your lady in advance for ogling.

Coastal89
May 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I was in Columbia once when SCSU was playing at WB. I think I was there for some event at the fair grounds. Anyway all I do remember is that at least half of the fair grounds parking lot was full of SCSU fans with their RVs. It was a big party.

rokamortis
May 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I was in Columbia once when SCSU was playing at WB. I think I was there for some event at the fair grounds. Anyway all I do remember is that at least half of the fair grounds parking lot was full of SCSU fans with their RVs. It was a big party.

The tailgating in Orangeburg last year was sick. They had contraptions grilling meat that I've never seen before - quite a sight.

bosshogg
May 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Politics and sports don’t mix
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Sunday, May 07, 2006

My high school chemistry teacher always cautioned the dangers of mixing volatile elements together

He made it a point during lab experiments to emphasize the importance of keeping some acids and bases far apart. Should the two elements interact, the potent combination would lead to some rather explosive and harmful results.

The same seems to apply whenever the world of sports and politics intersect each other. By themselves, the two are volatile industries which often mirror each other.

Whenever someone from the world of politics supplants themselves into a sporting matter, confusion and controversy is sure to follow. Like the malodorous odor and flying maggots which accompany a prowling stray cat, politicians who inject themselves into sports matters often bring an unstable, highly-toxic element of bad energy and needless self-promotion to an issue better served handled in a low-key manner.

This was demonstrated this past week when South Carolina State Sen. Robert Ford interjected himself into the ongoing negotiations to finalize the tentative Sept. 15, 2007 football game between the University of South Carolina and South Carolina State. Perhaps either acting on behalf of his constituents or just looking for an audience, the Charleston senator took it upon himself and the S.C. Black Legislative Caucus to send a letter to USC president Andrew Sorenson voicing his displeasure with SCSU receiving just 2,000 tickets for the first-ever meeting between the two Midland universities.

According to Ford (a Grambling graduate), the allotment amount was #&irreverent and derided the African-American community by limiting the school#,s ability to sell more tickets#8. He further added he would not be satisfied unless SCSU received 20,000 tickets #) more than half the amount usually allotted by USC when it faces fellow in-state arch rival Clemson and 10 times given to other Division I-AA schools like Wofford, The Citadel and Furman.

“For them to offer South Carolina State 2,000 tickets is a big insult and total disrespect to black people in South Carolina and black folks are already mad,” Ford told the Associated Press. “It was an irresponsible, stupid mistake.”

Ford could say the same about his actions, especially after it was revealed USC’s ticket allotment to SCSU was on par with what other Division I-AA opponents receive. If only Ford and legislators of his ilk were THAT assertive when it came to fighting for more funding in the budget for small, state-supported schools like SCSU or convincing the high number of SCSU graduates who reside in his district to purchase more Bulldog football season tickets.

Nevertheless, Ford’s impromptu actions only provided justification for those USC fans who don’t want to see this game (or any against other in-state Division I-AA teams for that matter) to take place. It also put this lucrative, two-game series with USC ($230, 000 in 2007 and $250,000 in 2010) and perhaps other games involving Division I-A teams in jeopardy for SCSU.

Quite simply, Ford took the road far too many politicians often take when getting involved in sporting matters. They almost to a person tackle an issue which provides the highest reward but the least amount of personal risk (i.e. steroids) and effort. Most important, it’s a topic which provides a platform for an outspoken senator to have his voice heard statewide.

While some will rightly criticize Ford#,s actions as rabble-rousing and even race-baiting, it#,s doubtful he#,ll get voted out of office just based on his district’s makeup and service to them. Ironically, Ford’s independent actions placed the very school he was speaking on its behalf on the defensive as it had no choice but to answer for what some would call in politics an attempted “shakedown”.

The school also needed to quickly douse the flames of controversy before the fallout would made other Division I-A schools leery of working with SCSU in the future for fear of negative publicity. At the same time, the university could not publicly criticize Ford and risk losing a valuable ally with influence in the South Carolina Statehouse.

So it was not a surprise to see a statement released by SCSU Athletics Director Charlene Johnson which tried to appease all sides involved:

“The ticket allocation the University of South Carolina (USC) provided to South Carolina State University (SCSU) for the 2007 football contest, is consistent with their policy for Division 1-AA schools and the contract signed between the two institutions. However, SCSU and USC are keenly aware of the high interest in the first historic meeting of the Universities in football. USC and SCSU have partnered on a number of joint ventures in the past and have been able to find common ground. We are confident that common ground will be found in this instance as well and there will be an amicable resolution in the matter. USC is sensitive to our needs and we are encouraged that they will do all they can to accommodate the loyal fans of SCSU.”

Imagine if after years of living next to a long-time neighbor without having little or no interaction, you decide to invite them over for dinner. Before the neighbor accepts the invitation, an associate confronts you on the side and demands you provide a ride to the house, some dress clothes to wear and fix a dinner more suited for an expensive restaurant before BOTH he and the neighbor attend or else there’s going to be problems. Would you not be compelled to rip up the invitation and not have to deal with the extra work?

Anyone who answers #yes#, would probably believe USC is justified to do the same with SCSU since it is THEIR home game. This is especially true since USC in recent years have generally been cooperative with SCSU from allowing Williams-Brice Stadium to be used as the host site of the Palmetto Capital City Classic to continuing the basketball series between the two schools.

Ford’s grandstanding could have severed any spirit of goodwill and prevent further cooperation in the future. Fortunately, it appears cooler heads Johnson and USC AD Eric Hyman are prevailing to make this game a reality.

Although there’s a certain level of politics in sports, there’s no need to bring in the professional politicians ones and this was just another reminder why. If Ford really wants to help SCSU, he can do two things - stay out of this affair and go back to the legislature and to a better job fighting for more funding for the historically black college.

T&D Senior Sports Writer Thomas Grant Jr. can be reached by office phone at 533-5529 or by e-mail at [email protected]

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Nice article...

What's Ford saying now?

walliver
May 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Nice article...

What's Ford saying now?

According to Ford (a Grambling graduate)

I guess his next move will be to ban the use of GSU in reference to Georgia Southern:D .

I haven't heard any follow-up from him and don't expect to since the legislature has been involved with more important business like establishing boiled peanuts as the official state snack.

May 8th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Link to article: http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2006/05/07/sports/doc445d5e4cb9b2a072219795.txt

SoCon48
May 8th, 2006, 06:03 AM

They'd REALLY be pissed if it was Coastal being scheduled.

SoCon48
May 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM

I don't see what all the dissing from Coastal fans is about...after all you played Coastal.xcoffeex

May 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I don't see what all the dissing...I don't see what all your dissing of Coastal is about.:confused:

rokamortis
May 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I don't see what all the dissing from Coastal fans is about...after all you played Coastal.xcoffeex

Who from Coastal said anything negative or out of line about SC State?

Bulldog87
May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
AA-2005,Nowhere in my post did I mention Coastal Carolina. CCU wasn't mentioned in the newspaper article either. What are you referring to?:eyebrow: I'm glad that we play CCU. I'm just hoping for a different outcome this year.:) BTW,CCU fans when will individual game tickets go on sale? There'll be an overflow crowd in Conway and tickets will go fast.What's the tailgating area like?

rokamortis
May 8th, 2006, 10:44 AM
AA-2005,Nowhere in my post did I mention Coastal Carolina. CCU wasn't mentioned in the newspaper article either. What are you referring to?:eyebrow: I'm glad that we play CCU. I'm just hoping for a different outcome this year.:) BTW,CCU fans when will individual game tickets go on sale? There'll be an overflow crowd in Conway and tickets will go fast.What's the tailgating area like?

I had a great time in Orangeberg last year, hopefully you will be shown the same hospitality as we were.

Individual tickets go on sale August 15th.

The tailgating is spread out all over campus and most of it requires a special parking pass. For visitors, I think one of the best things to do is tailgate at Horry-Georgetown Technical College next door to CCU and ride the shuttle to the stadium. The shuttles go every 15 minutes starting 2 hours before the game, I believe. They'll also take you back to the parking lot after the game.

Coastal89
May 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Bulldog look at this map of campus. The lots at buildings 1,2,3,4, and 15 are free parking on game day. Tailgateing is allowed in all of them and the fraternities set up behind #4, the Student Center, if Coastal has a chapter of your frat.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc
all have chapters here.

Campus map
http://www.coastal.edu/tour/stour.html

Bulldog87
May 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to attending this game. This should be a big game every year. I see that my frat is listed. I'm a little old but I'll stop by and check them out. Maybe there can be a meeting of some of the SCSU and CCU AGS posters at the tailgate party.

HIU 93
May 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Nice post on the now closed thread re: reverse racism. Easy to have some small difference but in the larger context, you nailed it. :nod: :beerchug:

Thanks. It's good to see that all AGS posters are not xidiotx .

MarkCCU
May 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM

He is, Robert Ford is a moron. And he represents my city:bawling:

catdaddy2402
June 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Resolution in the "disagreement" between Sen Ford and South Carolina's Athletic Dept.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14821346.htm

South Carolina athletics director Eric Hyman has turned down S.C. State’s request for additional tickets for the Bulldogs’ football game at USC in 2007.

S.C. State athletics director Charlene Johnson had asked for an extra 8,000 tickets to sell to Bulldogs fans for the first meeting between the schools, which are separated by about 40 miles.

Instead, the historically black university will receive the 2,600-ticket allotment it agreed to when it signed a contract with USC. Included in that total are 600 complimentary tickets.

Still, Ford is delusional

Despite Hyman’s response to Johnson, Ford said that, based on conversations with USC president Andrew Sorensen, he is confident S.C. State fans would be accommodated.

“(Sorensen) would not want to do anything to embarrass the black citizens of South Carolina,” Ford said this week. “Especially with what he knows, that South Carolina State is not bringing an (appetizer) to the table. They’re bringing a full-course meal.”

Because of the historic nature of the game, Ford predicted as many as 100,000 Bulldogs fans would show up outside Williams-Brice Stadium and help generate a multimillion-dollar economic impact for Columbia.

“Win or lose, it’s an historic moment, and black people love those types of celebrations,” Ford said. “So you’re looking at a jamboree, basically.”

South Carolina State has a solid fan following...but they only had 71,128 total for ALL their home games last year. hat means they are going to not only bring that figure (which BTW includes visiting fans) but an additional 30k people to Columbia.
xidiotx

GaSouthern
June 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Which makes sense...
...but of course this bloke pulls the 'race card'...

Pretty sad right there :nono:

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
South Carolina State has a solid fan following...but they only had 71,128 total for ALL their home games last year. hat means they are going to not only bring that figure (which BTW includes visiting fans) but an additional 30k people to Columbia.
xidiotx

And he continues to think he's doing the right thing? :nono:

Stang Fever
June 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM

Makes me made to see someone turn everything into BLACK AND WHITE........2000 is what they offer everyone in I-AA so dont get mad....i would understand if some "WHITE I-AA SCHOOL" came in and got 10K and then they only got 2000.then something might be said but this.....comeo on

walliver
June 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
SC State did draw about 50,000 in Williams-Brice Stadium 2 years ago when they played Benedict in a "classic" game.

On the other hand, South Carolina would draw 70,000 fans for a home game if they were playing a junior high school girls flag football team.

Thankfully, Mr. Ford has gone on to other things, and hopefully this issue is gone forever. Now if Steve Spurrier tries to run up the score (I've heard rumors that he likes to do that:D ), then Mr. Ford will probably reappear and try to stir up trouble again.