PDA

View Full Version : Shame... no playoffs for Jackson State if they go 10-1

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM
If Jackson State and Alabama State go undefeated through the end of the season, they will both be 10-1.

Alabama State would be the SWAC East champs, thanks to their head-to-head win over the Tigers.

Jackson State would have nine D-I wins, with the only out-of-conference.

But they have a (bogus, IMO) postseason ban, due to APR violations.

It's kind of sad that it's the SWAC's best opportunity in a generation to get a playoff-eligible team, but they won't be eligible.

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM
What is bogus about their postseason ban (not arguing, asking)?

(this coming from a fan of a team that had their own postseason ban a few years back)

rexreed
October 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Even without a post season ban they would most likely not advance to the playoffs. If I am not mistaken they play a SWAC championship game that makes it difficult to be in the real playoffs. Overall I agree with you- it is a shame that the best SWAC teams do not get to advance to the playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Even without a post season ban they would most likely not advance to the playoffs. If I am not mistaken they play a SWAC championship game that makes it difficult to be in the real playoffs. Overall I agree with you- it is a shame that the best SWAC teams do not get to advance to the playoffs.

Jackson State is currently in 2nd place in their division, behind Alabama St. Any team not playing in the SWAC title game is eligible for the FCS playoffs.

SWAC - East W-L PF PA W-L PF PA STRK
Alabama State 6-0 187 99 6-1 194 113 W5
Jackson State 4-1 165 84 6-1 242 115 W3
Alabama A&M 4-1 115 97 5-2 156 124 W5
Alcorn State 1-4 103 107 2-4 161 123 W1
Mississippi Valley State 0-7 132 235 0-8 132 274 L8

SWAC - West W-L PF PA W-L PF PA STRK
Prairie View A&M 4-2 170 167 4-3 184 230 L1
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 3-2 122 146 4-3 143 172 W1
Grambling State 2-3 105 120 3-4 156 155 W2
Southern University 2-3 114 100 2-5 154 171 L2
Texas Southern 1-4 111 169 3-4 202 186 W1

Big Dawg
October 27th, 2011, 01:04 AM
BTW, Alabama State's only loss this season was a 7 point loss to an FBS squad...they lost to Eastern Michigan(I know they aren't that good, but they are still FBS) 14-7

bonarae
October 27th, 2011, 02:29 AM

Well, even though the (somewhat) biased Presidents prohibit us from playing for Frisco outright, we Ivies also may not survive the playoffs, given our unsatisfactory all-time record (since 1954) against opponents that do not belong in the CAA or Patriot League.

But I also agree with you that SWAC's talent today isn't good enough as it used to be before.

veinup
October 27th, 2011, 04:18 AM
why'd they get a post season ban?

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2011, 04:36 AM
why'd they get a post season ban?

poor APR results.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 07:20 AM
APR and its associated penalties are the agreed upon measuring stick set up by the NCAA...

If you cannot handle your business and properly matriculate student-athletes on to graduation, shame on you. These are STUDENT-athletes first and foremost with graduating college being more important than getting a 'pick six' or a 50-yard scamper for a TD.

danefan
October 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
BTW, Alabama State's only loss this season was a 7 point loss to an FBS squad...they lost to Eastern Michigan(I know they aren't that good, but they are still FBS) 14-7

I'm more interested in who they have beaten......

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM
It's this kind of mentality that has our children spoiled these days. If I tell my four-year-old she gets no dessert without eating her dinner, I stand by it. Unfortunately, too many parents feel bad after the fact and say "oh, it's OK, she can have dessert THIS time... I know she didn't follow the rules, but I feel bad she doesn't get ice cream."

These schools produced poor APRs... deal with it. Eat your dinner and you can have dessert.

BEAR
October 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM
So let me get this straight. Jackson State can't go to the post-season because:

1. They agreed to keep a certain level APR, just like everyone else, and didn't do what they agreed to do?

2. It is possible that they could have gone/ could go to another post-season game but won't because they're in second in their division or conference or whatever.

Did I understand that right? I'm impressed with 9 division I wins, but isn't that two strikes toward post-season games against your own team no matter how good you may be? Just doesn't make sense to me.

crusader11
October 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
But they have a (bogus, IMO) postseason ban, due to APR violations.

Bogus? Isn't that the guy who usually posts about some dinosaur roaming around the Bourger Football House?

On a serious note though, why is their postseason ban not warranted? Do the work in the classroom so you can compete on the playing field...this is college after all where students are supposed to get an education, right?

813Jag
October 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
It's this kind of mentality that has our children spoiled these days. If I tell my four-year-old she gets no dessert without eating her dinner, I stand by it. Unfortunately, too many parents feel bad after the fact and say "oh, it's OK, she can have dessert THIS time... I know she didn't follow the rules, but I feel bad she doesn't get ice cream."

These schools produced poor APRs... deal with it. Eat your dinner and you can have dessert.
They are, and they have since they receieved the punishment, I don't see any SWAC posters (other than me) on this thread. We did the crime we do the time.

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM
They are, and they have since they receieved the punishment, I don't see any SWAC posters (other than me) on this thread. We did the crime we do the time.

Not saying the schools are complaining, nor SWAC posters. That's more of a general statement to whomever wants to complain.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Is the SWAC officially extended an autobid that they just refuse every year, or do they not have one? If the SWAC doesn't have an autobid, the only way for Jackson State to go into the playoffs would have been a bridge AQ, and since they can only win one game against an AQ conference team, they wouldn't have a chance at the bridge anyway, so this is all a moot point.

danefan
October 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Is the SWAC officially extended an autobid that they just refuse every year, or do they not have one? If the SWAC doesn't have an autobid, the only way for Jackson State to go into the playoffs would have been a bridge AQ, and since they can only win one game against an AQ conference team, they wouldn't have a chance at the bridge anyway, so this is all a moot point.

The SWAC does not apply for an AQ and therefore the Bridge AQ does not apply to them anyway.

Even if it did, Jackson State would not be eligible because the Bridge AQ would only apply to the League Champion.

Jackson St would be eligible for an at-large bid if they weren't on restrictions from the NCAA, but even then they would need the Committee to offer an at-large to the 3rd place team in the worst rated conference in the country with zero notable wins.

Not likely.

seantaylor
October 28th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Not a shame because any team in the SWAC would get blown out by any playoff team besides the OVC and Big South champ.

Panther88
October 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Not a shame because any team in the SWAC would get blown out by any playoff team besides the OVC and Big South champ.

Since you're the ultimate prognosticator, why don't you help everyone in this forum w/ the no miss hit on the stock market today. Or better yet, give me texas's lotto #s for the next few weeks. xlolxxbowx

I'd think the SWAC's upper tier would compete pretty good OOC. I like the direction the conference has gone in terms of play: smash mouth football. Put your sorry squad against any of the SWAC's teams and watch what happens.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'd think the SWAC's upper tier would compete pretty good OOC. I like the direction the conference has gone in terms of play: smash mouth football. Put your sorry squad against any of the SWAC's teams and watch what happens.
Before the game or after? xlolxxrulesx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM

The fact is Jackson State's retention rate for its football players actually exceeded the retention rate of the school, by quite a significant margin.

The way the APR is structured it measures on a retention rate that's a hard number, that doesn't consider that it's a low-resource school, and is designed for 85 kids getting paid to play sports at schools whose athletics budgets are more than $100 million, not $2 million.

If Jackson State football isn't breaking any NCAA rules for eligibility, and they're retaining students at a higher rate than the institution itself, isn't that what athletics are supposed to be doing? The NCAA says no. They instead punish the HBCU's, because Ohio State can't graduate its basketball players.

AppAlum2003
October 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The fact is Jackson State's retention rate for its football players actually exceeded the retention rate of the school, by quite a significant margin.

The way the APR is structured it measures on a retention rate that's a hard number, that doesn't consider that it's a low-resource school, and is designed for 85 kids getting paid to play sports at schools whose athletics budgets are more than $100 million, not $2 million.

If Jackson State football isn't breaking any NCAA rules for eligibility, and they're retaining students at a higher rate than the institution itself, isn't that what athletics are supposed to be doing? The NCAA says no. They instead punish the HBCU's, because Ohio State can't graduate its basketball players.

I say shame on the rest of the school then... that's sad that an "institution of higher learning" can't graduate enough people to keep up with the NCAA's standards.

Dgreenwell3
October 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I actually almost attended an hbcu instead of Indiana state (i am not African American) I found the campus to be really fun and they specialized in the field that I wanted to study.

Redhawk2010
October 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Maybe the school should be closed then if it can't meet simple standards.

Twentysix
October 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM

I think that would be up to the state of mississippi and maybe the accreditation boards not the NCAA.

dgtw
October 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
If Alabama State loses to A&M Saturday and A&M wins out, could ASU get an at large since A&M would be in the SWAC title game?

GAD
October 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If Alabama State loses to A&M Saturday and A&M wins out, could ASU get an at large since A&M would be in the SWAC title game?

no they play on Thanksgiving Day and the playoffs start the following Saturday

Dgreenwell3
October 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I actually almost attended an hbcu instead of Indiana state (i am not African American) I found the campus to be really fun and they specialized in the field that I wanted to study.

Wow I totally didn't finish this thought: a feel like they take on alot of students who aren't sure they want to go to College

wheatstraw78
October 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM

Redhawk, I knew it wouldn't be long before you chimed in with your normal nonsense. Remind me, what was the finally score of the Tenn State vs. Southeast MO game? I thought so!xnodx

Squealofthepig
October 29th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Redhawk, I knew it wouldn't be long before you chimed in with your normal nonsense. Remind me, what was the finally score of the Tenn State vs. Southeast MO game? I thought so!xnodx

Regardless, it is a legitimate question; why isn't the school performing up to par? (I have no dog in this race, just pointing out that legitimate questions of academic excellence are not immediately rendered moot by football scores).

Redhawk2010
October 29th, 2011, 07:53 AM

What's your point exactly? If a school cannot meet academic standards, then why is it open? If it is more of a money-drain and the money could be spent better, then it should be as well. We have allowed public education to explode and become too big around the country. Both at the K-12 level and at the college level. For whatever reason, we have decided that every person should be force-fed an education and that has hurt our society as a whole.

At least keep the conversation relevant if you're going to take shots..