PDA

View Full Version : Texas Southern Completes 2012 Football Schedule

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Texas Southern Finalizes 2012 Football Schedule

Houston, TX- The Texas Southern Tigers are ready for the 2012 season and the move into their new football home. Next season’s football schedule is now final and it features at least six home games in the state-of-the-art TSU/Dynamo Stadium.

September 15th will be the Tiger’s first game in their new home and it will be against Jackson State. Alabama A&M will be the next opponent on September 22nd, followed by Sam Houston State on September 29th.

Texas Southern will face Grambling on October 27th and Arkansas-Pine Bluff for homecoming on November 3rd. The final home game of the season is on November 17th against Mississippi Valley.

TSU will open the 2012 season against Prairie View A&M on September 1st in the Labor Day Classic. A site has not been determined, but the TSU/Dynamo Stadium could be an option.

North Texas State and Sam Houston State will be the Tiger’s two non-conference opponents.

The 22,000 TSU/Dynamo Stadium is schedule to open on May 2012.

2012 Season tickets are now on sale for Premium and VIP Club seating and reserved parking. To learn more information about securing your seat(s) for the 2012 TSU football season at the new stadium, please call (713) 313-4355 or email us at [email protected].

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Even though I mentioned it a few months ago, I'm still shocked Sam Houston's AD went thru with playing us. From what some Sam Houston alumni were saying, SHSU would never play a football contest at a SWAC school's venue let alone schedule a SWAC school in football again. Oh well.

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
SUGGESTION TO ALL THE SID's OUT THERE AT VARIOUS SCHOOLS:

When you announce your upcoming season schedule, PLEASE PROVIDE A CRONOLOGICAL LIST OF YOUR SCHEDULE instead of turning the schedule into a paragraph-by-paragraph essay.

If You provide a chronological list, it will take the average human a fraction of the time to comprehend the game lineup and analyze in their own head the matchups, OOC games, dates, etc.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM

When you announce your upcoming season schedule, PLEASE PROVIDE A CRONOLOGICAL LIST OF YOUR SCHEDULE instead of turning the schedule into a paragraph-by-paragraph essay.

If You provide a chronological list, it will take the average human a fraction of the time to comprehend the game lineup and analyze in their own head the matchups, OOC games, dates, etc.

A schedule was provided by the SID, I just didn't list it.

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM
A schedule was provided by the SID, I just didn't list it.

I'm talking about official press releases, not you in particular.

kdinva
October 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM

http://tsu.edu/Athletics/sports_pdf/mens-sports/football/fbschedule2012.pdf

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
FANTASTIC NEWS!

Texas Southern's new stadium makes them worth playing a home-and-home with.

I am sure that SHSU has taken care of the issues regarding a buyout from the previous situation and made sure to put the appropriate clauses in there based off of previous experience. Keeps travel low, provides a very winnable Division I game and allows a great opportunity to play in Houston.

3rd Coast - I think the BOPW game is later in the year vs SFA in '12, which should space these two games out...

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 03:36 PM

My biggest pet peeve is TSU puts up all their releases on TSUball.com in PDF format. Slows things down and makes it more difficult to navigate their site.

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM
North Texas State and Sam Houston State will be the Tiger’s two non-conference opponents.

3rd Coast -

Someone is dating themselves! The school has not been known as 'North Texas State' since the late 1980s!

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Guess I'm guilty since I'm the SID that wrote the press release. xrolleyesx

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Our new website is just a few weeks away from being launched. That's why upgrades haven't been made on the current one.

dbackjon
October 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Good to see that game against SHSU - and will be great to see the stadium for football

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Our new website is just a few weeks away from being launched. That's why upgrades haven't been made on the current one.

Who is TSU going with for their web site? I know Southern chose NeuLion and most of the new SWAC sites as of late have been SideArm. Never mind... you guys are going with SideArm. Good pick T-S-U!

rexreed
October 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
This is great. I am hoping that TSU is able to reach the Houston alumni base and get them to the new stadium. I love the idea of playing the Tigers again- it's been a lot of fun in years past. In truth, I wish the SLC would lure a couple SWAC schools away... but that's another thread.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Who is TSU going with for their web site? I know Southern chose NeuLion and most of the new SWAC sites as of late have been SideArm. Never mind... you guys are going with SideArm. Good pick T-S-U!

I mentioned SideArm a while back.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
This is great. I am hoping that TSU is able to reach the Houston alumni base and get them to the new stadium. I love the idea of playing the Tigers again- it's been a lot of fun in years past. In truth, I wish the SLC would lure a couple SWAC schools away... but that's another thread.

I would be more for that now than I have been in the past due to the lack of football schools in the immediate region...

It all depends on which SWAC schools we are talking about... PVAMU and TSU have better equipped athletic budgets with TSU now having a 'gem' of a stadium. Both schools have great market penetration in the Houston area as well with TSU able to enter the league with one of the finest basketball venues (would rank it top three instantly) and now, the finest football stadium. Both schools do have shortcomings in the baseball/softball department.

Not sure I'd take on Grambling or Southern. Though they have football history, I think neither is as stable as the two Texas schools. Talked to a former Southern football player yesterday, who has family also working at the school. Some of the things he told me were far worse than I had imagined for the campus.

kingkat99
October 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
BW should have made them come to us first because now we will go there and they will not return the favor nor will they actually pay a buyout since they dont have any money to pay it... with...

TheRevSFA
October 27th, 2011, 08:44 AM
This will be a good game...a fun one to watch.

Good job putting it together.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM
BW should have made them come to us first because now we will go there and they will not return the favor nor will they actually pay a buyout since they dont have any money to pay it... with...

We will not return the favor? Huh?

So have you seen the terms of the contract?

We don't have the money to pay for a buy out?

Talk about ignorance!

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM

I am sure that SHSU and TSU put the proper settlement in there for getting out of the game. It seems to me that TSU would want this game for an OOC contest for many of the same reasons we do - the opening was there, it is a short trip and more importantly, it is a FCS opponent supplying a home-and-home.

For SHSU, it gets us into the Houston market twice in a season and at least a month apart from the Battle of the Piney Woods.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
In the past few years alone, we have played Arkansas State, Rutgers, UCONN and Texas State. During the hurricane season that messed up just about every team in the south's schedule, we picked up a game against McNeese State to be played at Northwestern State with only a two weeks notice.

We have history with Sam Houston so why would we back out of this game? Some people just say the dumbest things. smh

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
We have history with Sam Houston so why would we back out of this game? Some people just say the dumbest things. smh

Texas Southern did back out of a home game at Sam Houston in basketball just a few years ago, you may recall. That was the basketball issue that the University had with the SWAC. In football, SHSU had an issue with Prairie View (well documented). Believe both occurred in the same year, which is why you see the hesitancy.

In the past few years alone, we have played Arkansas State, Rutgers, UCONN and Texas State. During the hurricane season that messed up just about every team in the south's schedule, we picked up a game against McNeese State to be played at Northwestern State with only a two weeks notice.

And all the games you mentioned with the exception of the Hurricane replacement game were contests in which Texas Southern was receiving a guarantee without a return game. It shows where your program stands when you get bought several years in a row by an equal footing foe (as was the case with the group in San Marcos), but now with the new stadium, TSU can be on more equal footing in getting home-and-home with FCS.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
So again I say as I did in my initial post after making this thread; where's the statement coming from SHSU's AD regarding scheduling SWAC schools in football/men's basketball? Things change correct? That's all I'm saying.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
So again I say as I did in my initial post after making this thread; where's the statement coming from SHSU's AD regarding scheduling SWAC schools in football/men's basketball? Things change correct? That's all I'm saying.

AD made a statement previously that we'd hold those SWAC schools to their end of the contract... and I am sure we did and I am sure we will in the future...

I am happy that baseball is breaking away from playing SWAC schools on the road. Hopefully we can eliminate them completely in baseball, since it does nothing for us as we are borderline at-large worthy - but we'll see. The changes in conference alignment may help us or hinder us. Time will tell...

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
AD made a statement previously that we'd hold those SWAC schools to their end of the contract... and I am sure we did and I am sure we will in the future...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Where is his exact quote verbatim? Where is the link to his quote?

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Where is his exact quote verbatim? Where is the link to his quote?

Here is one of the things he said about the situation... essentially said SHSU is going to hold TSU, PVAMU to their buyouts and I am pretty darn sure that we will in the future...

also want to address the schedule situation, because this has been asked of me many times. A lot of people, including myself, were excited a few years ago when we were able to get a home and home series with Prairie View A&M. When we are scheduling games we try to take into account not only what is best for our department and football program, but what is best for our fans as well.

When Hurricane Ike hit last season and the game was cancelled, we agreed to shift everything back one year in the contract and move forward from there. This past spring, they dropped us from the schedule and made other arrangements for the 2009 season. There is a buyout in the contract and we are working to reschedule with them and avoid the buyout, but the buyout will be pursued if the series can not be rescheduled. We had a similar situation with Texas Southern in basketball and we are working with them on a buyout.

We then took this as an opportunity to add another home game, but it was late in the game and we were left scrambling to find a team to play. We are always working to get six home games and we want to play as many FCS teams as possible, with one FBS team. We have decided philosophically we want to play one FBS game and the rest of our opponents from the FCS ranks. A Division II game is a last option. With the playoff field getting expanded next season to 20, we want to do what we can to strengthen our playoff at large position.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204787051&SPID=11339&SPSID=92938