PDA

View Full Version : All of a sudden Advantage GSU over APP?

Go Apps
October 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Weather may be in the favor of the eagles - saturday forecast has turned to rain and snow showers and a 15mph wind - that means the ASU air attack may be hampered - thoughts?

AppStsGr8
October 25th, 2011, 06:58 AM
My first thought is that Tuesday morning is way too early to say what weather in Boone will be like on Saturday. Sometimes, even Friday night is too early to guess what Boone weather will be!

Other than that, even with the home field advantage, I'd say GSU should be favored in this game. As has been the case in many games through the years, statistics and rankings will not be playing on Saturday. Of course, I'll be there cheering for an App win. Go App!

superman7515
October 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Passing is easier in inclement weather. The wide receiver knows where he's going, the quarterback knows where the WR is going, but the CB & S don't know where the WR is going. He knows when his cut is coming up and can be sure to secure his footing and taking another step if necessary to find better traction, the CB has to react to that and can't take that same time. He's stuck trying to catch up from wherever he is. The soggy field slows down the runningbacks and the reduced traction makes it harder for the O-line to hold blocks against the D-line, so the running game is typically hampered.

Mikeyosef
October 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I just checked Ray's weather and it looks like snow showers in the morning...cold and cloudy in the afternoon. I'd say a little snow on the ground and cold weather will favor App State's game. The forecast's biggest effect on the game may be on attendance. We need a LOUD packed house to propel our guys to a win here. It's early in the week and I'm hoping the weather forecast improves as we get closer to the game. I'll be there regardless and I word of caution to those more sedate attendees that sit around me; I will be LOUD!!!

The Eagle's Cliff
October 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
In Boone, the advantage is always to the Apps. Eagles don't do well in the cold.

Zim262
October 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
As we used to say back in the day about the weather in Boone: "If you want to see the weather change, wait five minutes."

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I don't think a light rain would hurt either team.

I think a downpour would favor GSU, but the cold weather certainly favors ASU.

We might see a little of all of it.

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Saturday - Hi: 44 Lo: 29
AM snow showers or flurries possible; PM decreasing clouds; Cold for October

I'm not sure if it particularly benefits one team or the other but either way, that is perfect football weather!

Smitty
October 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Wow I can't believe how it is time for winter again... Time flies when you are being tortured by your football team xlolx

appfan2008
October 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM
dont buy any forecasts right now... some models show sun... some show rain... others say snow... way to early in the week for that speculation at this point...

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
In Boone, the advantage is always to the Apps. Eagles don't do well in the cold.

Hope you are right for a change. If that's the case maybe all you gnat eating flat landers better stay in the "boro" this weekend. We don't need anybody trying to learn how to drive on snow and ice. lol!!!

Just kidding, it will be FUN!!!

blueballs
October 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
GSU's option offenses typically under perform in wet weather... lots of ball handling and pitching with a wet ball leads to fumbles.

Sounds like that weather might be brown liquor weather for the Eagle fans and moonshine weather (although everyday is moonshine weather) for the 'neers.

straightshooter
October 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Overnight forecast in Boone calls for clear skies, so it looks like the weather will be improving as the minutes tick away. The game is at 3:00 pm, so things might be looking better as the game is played. Low 40s temps won't be much of a problem. GSU played in much colder weather in the playoffs last year (it was cold at W&M too). If the ball is dry the turnovers should be kept at a minimum.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
GSU's option offenses typically under perform in wet weather... lots of ball handling and pitching with a wet ball leads to fumbles.

Sounds like that weather might be brown liquor weather for the Eagle fans and moonshine weather (although everyday is moonshine weather) for the 'neers.

Don't knock the "shine" my friend. Jack Daniels also works well!!!

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Don't knock the "shine" my friend. Jack Daniels also works well!!!

It'll be Black Bush for our group. Unfortunately that reminds me of being at the bar in an Irish pub and asking the bartender for 3 Black Bushes up for a friend, my brother and myself. His response? "3 Oprah Winfreys coming right up!" Almost couldn't drink it after that.

Skjellyfetti
October 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
No.

I think both offenses will benefit. Ice and snow would help our receivers get open. I think it will also create running lanes for GSU... especially on the edges.

I think it will be a high scoring game. No idea what the O/U is... but, I'd probably take the over on this one.

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Weather may be in the favor of the eagles - saturday forecast has turned to rain and snow showers and a 15mph wind - that means the ASU air attack may be hampered - thoughts?

I completely disagree. How often has GaSo practiced in wet & cold weather like they'll face in Boone? Plus, I agree with an earlier poster that wet/cold weather makes the pitches & hand offs more difficult for them. And, despite similar weather in prior years, the App passing game did pretty well. I would give the weather advantage, if there is one, to App. State.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
It'll be Black Bush for our group. Unfortunately that reminds me of being at the bar in an Irish pub and asking the bartender for 3 Black Bushes up for a friend, my brother and myself. His response? "3 Oprah Winfreys coming right up!" Almost couldn't drink it after that.

I would have thought you drank "Georgia Moon."

straightshooter
October 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
If the GSU offense has a dry track to run on, the advantage will shift their way. It is true that the Wofford and Citadel offenses are of the triple option variety, but neither of them runs it the way GSU does and most certainly not at the same speed. The fullback and A-backs at GSU are a couple of steps faster than the other two schools, and GSU does have a very efficient passing game this year - much more so than in 2010. Compared to what the Mountaineers saw against Woffy and the Bellhops, the Eagle offense will look like a blur... I'm sure that coach Moore knows this and is planning accordingly. It is virtually impossible to stop all three phases of the offense without an occasional breakdown, and breakdowns turn into points. Like all teams that face it, the Mountaineers will try to take away two phases of the option and play the third the best they can. Question is...which two will they attack the hardest?

asumike83
October 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I think the biggest difference between facing GSU this weekend and our game against Wofford (aside obviously from the home field advantage) is how much our offense has opened up in the 2 games since we left Spartanburg. Jamal Jackson has really added a new dimension to our offense that we were dearly missing: big plays over the middle. His height advantage gives him much better vision and he throws a very accurate ball.

Getting off to a fast start offensively will be a huge key for Appalachian. If we can get ahead early and force GSU to pass the ball more than they would like to, we can pull off the win. GSU has been effective passing because they do not throw the ball frequently and take advantage when they do. If forced to throw more than 8-10 passes, I'm not sure Jaybo Shaw can consistently beat us through the air.

However, on the flip side of that, if GSU forces us into a couple quick 3 and outs and then wears down our defense with a long touchdown drive or 2, it could be a long day for us. Either way it should be a great match-up, can't wait for Saturday!

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
One of the coldest games I've ever played in (windchill factored) was at Ga So... it was a 33 degree rain with a 25-30 mph wind. Funny thing was all my coaches in the August heat saying , "If you think this is hot, wait till we get to Statesboro." I played at Bucknell in about 12 degrees, but it was no where as cold as that wind...it still makes me shiver.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Never even seen it. Far as I know the only liquid moon is in Appalachia.

boogereagle
October 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
As we used to say back in the day about the weather in Boone: "If you want to see the weather change, wait five minutes."

Well...... they say that in a lot of places, including Coastal Georgia. :D

But I don't think I like the fact it's going to be snowing up there. Snow and Eagles don't usually mix well ...

appstate38
October 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Still trying to figure out how a team that plays and practices in this type of weather all the time is all of a sudden at a disadvantage to a team that plays in 70 degree weather most of the season... How does that work again?

GaSouthern
October 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM

What Kinda Irish are you??? ;)

Jameson 12 for us :D

76GART
October 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
We need to change our train of thought about snow and eagles.

There are eagles in Alaska and the cold and snow dose not bother them.

Maybe we should think that we are Southern Alaska Eagles for this game,mind over matter.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
GSU, as flawed as they are, had the advantage when they recruited superior players over the past 3 years.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
We need to change our train of thought about snow and eagles.

There are eagles in Alaska and the cold and snow dose not bother them.

Maybe we should think that we are Southern Alaska Eagles for this game,mind over matter.

Somebody Smokin Something.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Never even seen it. Far as I know the only liquid moon is in Appalachia.

You find it at your local liquor store. What is unique is that it comes in a mason jar. I'm not saying it is good. Never wanted to try it.

straightshooter
October 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Weather.com now saying high of 47, showers early buy clear Saturday night. Chance of rain during the game getting smaller by the day.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
You find it at your local liquor store. What is unique is that it comes in a mason jar. I'm not saying it is good. Never wanted to try it.

What are you doing in our liquor stores? Closet fan of southern GA are you?

seantaylor
October 26th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cold won't matter at all. If it is raining or snowing, then it is a negative for GSU.

GSUsTALON
October 26th, 2011, 04:34 AM

If your turf is anything like Chattanooga’s, a slick rain and snow covered field really slows down the outside portion of the option by limiting the “A” backs cutback ability & in the past few weeks we really have been chewing up the corners for a bulk of our yardage.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
What are you doing in our liquor stores? Closet fan of southern GA are you?

The only way I could make it through the vacuum of low IQ's and sand gnats that is southern Georgia is if I had access to a liquor store at all times.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
If your turf is anything like Chattanooga’s, a slick rain and snow covered field really slows down the outside portion of the option by limiting the “A” backs cutback ability & in the past few weeks we really have been chewing up the corners for a bulk of our yardage.

We had speed on defense that you haven't seen yet. Likewise for us with yours.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Our turf is a different surface than Chattanooaga. KBS actually became the first venue in the country to install the new FieldTurf Revolution surface this off-season. It is a necessity with the weather like it is in Boone, holds up much better in the elements than natural grass.

http://www.fieldturf.com/revolution-fiber/

appfan2008
October 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
GSU, as flawed as they are, had the advantage when they recruited superior players over the past 3 years.

Chattownmocs... at it again... though for the first time there is some truth... they have been recruiting well and we have sat back on our success... fat and happy!

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Chattownmocs... at it again... though for the first time there is some truth... they have been recruiting well and we have sat back on our success... fat and happy!

Not exactly. I'd say Jamal Jackson, Kendall Lamm, Ronald Blair, James Robinson, Jeremy Kimbrough, Troy Sanders, Doug Middleton and Rodger Walker have all been good signings over the last 3 years, among others.

asknoquarter21
October 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Not exactly. I'd say Jamal Jackson, Kendall Lamm, Ronald Blair, James Robinson, Jeremy Kimbrough, Troy Sanders, Doug Middleton and Rodger Walker have all been good signings over the last 3 years, among others.

I agree

Our classes are getting better every year.

ASUMountaineer
October 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Neither team can compare to Chatty--wins/losses are irrelevant. I know this to be true, as I believe every word you write. xnodx

Keep up the good work, man. xthumbsupx

SpeedkingATL
October 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
It appears it will be 40 degrees and clear at gametime so no issue/advantage for either team. I was at the game last year in the boro and still feel GSU outcoached App, especially their defensive game plan. Hope that doesn't happen again.

Venaros
October 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I've had Georgia Moon. Dang sure not the best stuff out there, but it'll get the job done. ;)

On topic though, I'd say the weather is one of the less important factors. But I would give the slight edge to App. State. Though Georgia Southern has played in colder temperatures before, it's not something we have the opportunity to practice in very often. That being said, a little cold never hurt nobody and I think the Eagles will be just fine. And as for the issue of rain I've just got two words: Hugo Bowl.

Horseshoe App
October 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM
It appears it will be 40 degrees and clear at gametime so no issue/advantage for either team. I was at the game last year in the boro and still feel GSU outcoached App, especially their defensive game plan. Hope that doesn't happen again.

Just looked at the forecast. Looks like rain/snow until 1 pm or so(if it doesn't change). At game time it looks to be around low 40's and sunny. Got to love the weather in Boone. It looks like the toughest conditions will be for tailgating. Better bundle up. I am glad our seats are on the East side and we will get sun until 5:30.

SoCon48
October 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Passing is easier in inclement weather. The wide receiver knows where he's going, the quarterback knows where the WR is going, but the CB & S don't know where the WR is going. He knows when his cut is coming up and can be sure to secure his footing and taking another step if necessary to find better traction, the CB has to react to that and can't take that same time. He's stuck trying to catch up from wherever he is. The soggy field slows down the runningbacks and the reduced traction makes it harder for the O-line to hold blocks against the D-line, so the running game is typically hampered.

You left out the slippery ball for the QB and receivers. Running backs have a much easier time holding on to the ball than receivers. Too, it is harder to grip the ball when throwing, also.