PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern Remains Perched on Top of the 2011 Gridiron Power Index

CSN-info
October 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=722&d=1265066506

Georgia Southern Remains Perched on Top of the 2011 Gridiron Power Index
College Sporting News

Unbeaten Georgia Southern remains perched on top of the Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection.

The Southern Conference has six teams in the top 25; the Colonial Athletic Association has five; the Missouri Valley Football Conference has four; the Big Sky and Great West Conferences and the Ivy League have two each; and the Big South, Ohio Valley and Southland Conferences plus the Patriot League each have one. (Games through 10/23/11)

10/24/2011 GPI Top 25
Rank, School, Rating, Change
1. Ga Southern (1.00) -0
2. N Dakota St (2.43) +2
3. Northern Iowa (3.00) -0
4. Sam Houston St (5.29) +2
5. Wofford (5.86) -3
6. Appalachian St (6.57) +2
7. Maine (7.57) -0
8. Montana St (8.29) -3
9. Towson (11.00) +4
10. Lehigh (11.14) -0
11. James Madison (11.43) -2
12T. Chattanooga (14.14) +5
12T. New Hampshire (14.14) +3
14. Montana (15.14) -2
15. Indiana St (15.57) -4
16. Harvard (15.86) -2
17. Brown (19.86) +5
18. Furman (20.00) +4
19. Illinois St (20.71) NEW
20. Samford (21.43) -3
21. Old Dominion (21.57) NEW
22. South Dakota (22.29) -0
23T. Cal Poly (23.71) -2
23T. Liberty (23.71) -5
25. Jacksonville St (24.86) -0

Read More... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?649-Georgia-Southern-Remains-Perched-on-Top-of-the-2011-Gridiron-Power-Index)

LakesBison
October 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM
the ONLY poll that matters, #2 is fine, we all know NDSU should be #1 based on the fact that Georgia Southern Backed out of the proposed game at fargodome!

Gringer1
October 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Good grief. We had a schedule domino effect after Coastal Carolina backed out of our game because of some G-State nonsense. We had to scramble to fix our schedule at the last minute and couldn't get 11 games without dropping NDSU. It isn't like Georgia Southern backed out because of fear; there was an 11th hour scheduling emergency and this was the only way to make it work. Criminey.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Good grief. We had a schedule domino effect after Coastal Carolina backed out of our game because of some G-State nonsense. We had to scramble to fix our schedule at the last minute and couldn't get 11 games without dropping NDSU. It isn't like Georgia Southern backed out because of fear; there was an 11th hour scheduling emergency and this was the only way to make it work. Criminey.

Don't get silly things like facts get in the way of lakes.

TheBisonator
October 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM
the ONLY poll that matters, #2 is fine, we all know NDSU should be #1 based on the fact that Georgia Southern Backed out of the proposed game at fargodome!

That game wasn't proposed, that game was already under obligation for GSU to play.

Squealofthepig
October 24th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Honestly, I think the big news here is the re-emergence of the So-Con after a few ASU-dominated seasons (with a few cameos). Six teams in the GPI is no small feat, and while the CAA has dominated pure depth of late, it's interesting to see a power-shift to the SoCon. I can only be envious in the Big Sky which - although I still think has a major improvement top-to-bottom - still has only two teams in the top 25 here.

CopperCat
October 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM
MSU > SHSU

And furthermore, Big Sky > Southland. Enough said.

Baldy
October 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM

xbawlingx

coover
October 25th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I see, beat a very good team in their own stadium, a place where the home team has a huge advantage because of the playing field (a bad rug, no padding on concrete) and atmosphere (in a dome, small building, fans right on top of the field), and get dropped two places. Just what is the basis for this poll? Obviously it's not performance.

gasoutherneagle
October 25th, 2011, 02:58 AM
That game wasn't proposed, that game was already under obligation for GSU to play.

Let it GO, already! My God, you NDSU fans are starting to sound like Chattownmocs after the Appy game.

Just keep winning. Georgia Southern and NDSU will eventually play one another in the playoffs.

GaSouthern
October 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Let it GO, already! My God, you NDSU fans are starting to sound like Chattownmocs after the Appy game.

Just keep winning. Georgia Southern and NDSU will eventually play one another in the playoffs.

Amen,
I think some NDSU fans forget that GSU fans did not get to pick what happens with our schedule. If we did we would have played Savannah State and Probably someone like Harvard or Montana. Not too many fans care much about a series with NDSU in the first place.

danefan
October 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
What's that you ask? Is this the "ranking" used by the Playoff Committee? Haha....don't be silly son. You have to read the fine print.

DISCLAIMER:

This is not the GPI officially used by the Playoff Selection Committee. The Selection Committee has in years past used a modified GPI formula as one-third of the Bridge AQ qualification for conferences that qualify for and request an AQ but are denied. This year, as was the case in 2010, only the PFL has applied for and been denied an AQ.

The Bridge AQ is determined as follows:

1. 8 DI wins
2. 2 wins over teams from AQ leagues
3. Average ranking of 20 or higher in (a) the TSN poll, (b) the Coaches Poll and (c) a modified GPI using only Massey, Ashburn, Self, Laz and Wolfe.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2010/10_1_football.pdf (emphasis added)

With that being said, it is widely thought that the Committee may unofficially refer to polls and rankings, including the GPI. That has never been confirmed and the below statement from the Chair of the 2010 NCAA Playoff Committee indicates otherwise. Specifically, he had this to say about external polls and rankings:

John McCutcheon: That is a great question. The criteria we use to evaluate which teams get the top seeds are the same as those used to determine which teams get an at-large bid. Those are overall won-loss record, strength of schedule and quality of wins. External polls and computer rankings are not factored into our decisions. We also consider the input received by the regional advisory committees.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2009-11-18/ncca6

Damn, that's some fine-a$s print alright.

xsalutex

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Amen,
I think some NDSU fans forget that GSU fans did not get to pick what happens with our schedule. If we did we would have played Savannah State and Probably someone like Harvard or Montana. Not too many fans care much about a series with NDSU in the first place.

I was under the impression that GSU backed out of the NDSU game to schedule a D2 team at home. Was there a conference reschedule that made the NDSU game impossible?

Gil Dobie
October 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Amen,

I agree, most NDSU fans would probaly like to see a series with Montana than GSU. Not a lot of fringe fans know anything about GSU and it's history in FCS, but Montana is close and many people, especially west river, know about the Griz.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I was under the impression that GSU backed out of the NDSU game to schedule a D2 team at home. Was there a conference reschedule that made the NDSU game impossible?

It's only been posted several times, but....we wanted 6 home games and scheduled DI Presbyterian to replace NDSU. The D2 Tusculum was a very last minute replacement for Coastal Carolina who had to back out of their game at Paulson because that was the only home date available for them when Ga State backed out to play at Houston.

The NDSU and SDSU series were precipitated by our previous president whose sports attitude and relationships came from his previous tenure at mighty St. Cloud, MN.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM
It's only been posted several times, but....we wanted 6 home games and scheduled DI Presbyterian to replace NDSU. The D2 Tusculum was a very last minute replacement for Coastal Carolina who had to back out of their game at Paulson because that was the only home date available for them when Ga State backed out to play at Houston.

The NDSU and SDSU series were precipitated by our previous president whose sports attitude and relationships came from his previous tenure at mighty St. Cloud, MN.

What he said. To recap:

in October, 2010 it was announced that we had replaced our away game at NDSU with a home game against D-I Presbyterian.

In February, 2011 it was announced that D-I Coastal Carolina had pulled out of our game with them at Paulson Stadium and that D-II Tusculum had been added to replace Coastal.

So, yes, we did add a D-II game late, but it had nothing to do with NDSU.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
6 is just too high for ASU right now in my opinion... lets see what we can do with GSU saturday and then we can talk...

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Georgia Southern sucks. North Dakota State sucks more

LakesBison
October 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
ha ha. APPY state reppin'!!

Ok, Georgia Southern are still wimps for not going to the Fargodome. Personally, Im hoping for Georgia Southern in a semifinal game at Fargodome and then NDSU/APPY STATE in frisco.

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Ok, Georgia Southern are still wimps for not going to the Fargodome. Personally, Im hoping for Georgia Southern in a semifinal game at Fargodome and then NDSU/APPY STATE in frisco.

Damned LB, I like your thinking!!!

OL FU
October 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
What he said. To recap:

in October, 2010 it was announced that we had replaced our away game at NDSU with a home game against D-I Presbyterian.

In February, 2011 it was announced that D-I Coastal Carolina had pulled out of our game with them at Paulson Stadium and that D-II Tusculum had been added to replace Coastal.

Wait a minute. GSU furmaned NDSU to play PCxsmiley_wix

NDB
October 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
What he said. To recap:

GSU played a DII the day it was supposed to play the Bison -> LAME.

GaSouthern
October 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Georgia Southern sucks. North Dakota State sucks more

I can tell when you want to say "I love you" even when you don't have the words, i'll take it.

Don't worry, we love hating you too :D

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM

GSU and App State in Frisco; That'll work!

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
GSU and App State in Frisco; That'll work!

OOOOOoooh. That'd be fun & I'd be there.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM

I guess that would be one way to find out who's fanbase travels best!

Baldy
October 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
GSU played a DII the day it was supposed to play the Bison -> LAME.
Not to let the facts get in the way or anything, but we exercised our RIGHT to buy the game out in October of last year AND scheduled Presby the same week of the buyout. xrolleyesx

bleedingblue
October 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
why do you want to travel all the way across the country to play a gme that does not matter and eat up alot of money in the athletic budget? Sounds pretty dumb if you ask me. How many fans could possibly make that trip.

gasoutherneagle
October 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
DITTO THAT!!!

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Imagine if that match-up was in Chattanooga...you'd have to have 30,000 seats (and it still would be a sell out)

gasoutherneagle
October 26th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Imagine if that match-up was in Chattanooga...you'd have to have 30,000 seats (and it still would be a sell out)

FORGET NOOGA... I'm thinking Georgia Dome!

GSUsTALON
October 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM

I for one would have liked a showdown between Georgia Southern and NDSU during the regular season. I think it would have sold well in North Dakota but there would have been few GSU fans that would have made the long haul.

It would have been great if we were FBS teams with large fan bases and a healthy payout that would have covered the cost of the trip and put money in the GSU coffers but that’s not the reality of this situation. We are FCS and need to watch the dollars. The only thing I regret or feel bad about is that NDSU flew all the way to Statesboro without a return act by GSU but in the long run GSU has to do what was best for its program. I do hope a GaSo – NDSU meeting will happen in the playoffs. It would be a unique math up and exciting game.

Milktruck74
October 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
FORGET NOOGA... I'm thinking Georgia Dome!

That's not a neutral site...Thats a home game for GSU......sorry, I had to stir it up! haha

tigonian02
October 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
That's not a neutral site...Thats a home game for GSU......sorry, I had to stir it up! haha

Egh...kinda sorta. Not counting the Alumni that live in Atlanta (who don't really contribute to the athletic funds for the school) its a 3 hour drive from Statesboro to Atlanta and a 5 hour drive from Boone to Atlanta. The time differential really isn't that much longer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I for one would have liked a showdown between Georgia Southern and NDSU during the regular season. I think it would have sold well in North Dakota but there would have been few GSU fans that would have made the long haul.

It would have been great if we were FBS teams with large fan bases and a healthy payout that would have covered the cost of the trip and put money in the GSU coffers but that’s not the reality of this situation. We are FCS and need to watch the dollars. The only thing I regret or feel bad about is that NDSU flew all the way to Statesboro without a return act by GSU but in the long run GSU has to do what was best for its program. I do hope a GaSo – NDSU meeting will happen in the playoffs. It would be a unique math up and exciting game.

The NDSU/GSU game would have been a good one.

A playoff game would also be a very good one. NDSU would beat both (Appy and GSU) in the FD but on the road would be very tough.

I can see wanting to play 6 home games but reschedule for a return date another year....maybe GSU will....but I doubt it.

Milktruck74
October 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Egh...kinda sorta. Not counting the Alumni that live in Atlanta (who don't really contribute to the athletic funds for the school) its a 3 hour drive from Statesboro to Atlanta and a 5 hour drive from Boone to Atlanta. The time differential really isn't that much longer.

it was funnier in my head...I was inferring that GSU(not clarifying which one) already played in the Dome. Again just working on getting the ire up of the GSU/GSU fans.