PDA

View Full Version : Seeds?

THE HERD
October 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
How often has a team gotten seeded that did not win thier conference or has it ever happened? Just got me thinking with the UNI/Bison game this weekend, say whoever loses this game than runs the table, but is second in the conference. Is there still a chance of getting that 5th seed? UNI would be 9-2 with losses only to Iowa ST. and NDSU or NDSU would be 10-1 with only loss to N. Iowa. Couple of pretty good resumes I would say for a seed. Still a lot of season to go and who knows what happens, but just something to bs about. Another question to the people who have been in the FCS much longer than us Bison fans: Has a second place team in a conference ever gotten the seed with the first place team getting an at large??

Go Apps
October 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Yes two teams from a conference have claimed top seeds - very possible - will be harder for UNI if they lose but definitely possible if NDSU loses.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
EWU last year? or did they share it with Montana State?

bojeta
October 24th, 2011, 02:48 PM
EWU last year? or did they share it with Montana State?

They were co-champs

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM
How often has a team gotten seeded that did not win thier conference or has it ever happened? Just got me thinking with the UNI/Bison game this weekend, say whoever loses this game than runs the table, but is second in the conference. Is there still a chance of getting that 5th seed? UNI would be 9-2 with losses only to Iowa ST. and NDSU or NDSU would be 10-1 with only loss to N. Iowa. Couple of pretty good resumes I would say for a seed. Still a lot of season to go and who knows what happens, but just something to bs about. Another question to the people who have been in the FCS much longer than us Bison fans: Has a second place team in a conference ever gotten the seed with the first place team getting an at large??

It isn't often.

Take 2005. You can make a (very) strong argument that the national title game was played in Boone in the semi finals between Furman and App State. Furman was 9-2 with a win over App State. App was 8-3 with losses to LSU, Kansas, and Furman. App got the #2 seed and Furman was not seeded in favor of Hampton (who was 11-0, but played in a weak conference and promptly got bounced in the first round by four touchdowns).

Frankly, if 2005 didn't scream for Furman getting a seed (even despite not winning the conference) it may well never happen. But, there again, the rules have changed, so who knows what they will do now.

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
You would have to assume that Maine doesn't win out.

SHSU essentially has locked up a seed based on their remaining schedule.

I could see a scenerio something like this:

#1 NDSU
#2 Montana State
#3 Sam Houston State
#4 Appalachian State (assuming ASU wins out)
#5 Georgia Southern/UNI (assuming GSU wins out after losing to ASU)

Of course Maine would be in this discussion, As would Lehigh if they won out.

blueballs
October 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM

#1 NDSU
#2 Montana State
#3 Sam Houston State

GSU won't win out after defeating App this coming weekend... they play at Tuscaloosa on 11/19.

blueballs
October 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Seems like I remember GSU and Furman being seeded 2 & 3 in 2001...

UIWWildthing
October 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM

#1 NDSU
#2 Montana State
#3 Sam Houston State

If Towson won out, would they be in the picture for a seed as well?

UNH Fanboi
October 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM

The CAA has gotten two seeds several times. Also, in 2008 UNI got seeded over SIU even though SIU technically won the conference.

achrist70
October 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
In 2008 UNI and SIU both finished 7-1 in the MVFC with SIU taking the auto-bid with the head to head, but UNI got the 3 seed and SIU was left un-seeded.

Strommer10
October 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I can see MSU & SHSU getting one, assuming they win out. The remaining 3 seeds will be between GSU, App St., UNI, & NDSU. 3 of those 4 will get a seed. It's hard to tell the order right now with a lot of football left to be played. It will clear up a bit after #1 @ #5 and #2 @ #3 this weekend.

Pitz
October 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I have a feeling we won't see it this year unless Lehigh or SHSU stumbles down the stretch. If Montana St. and Georgia Southern (sans Alabama game) win out, I bet we'll see:

#1 NDSU/UNI Winner
#2 Georgia Southern
#3 Montana St.
#4 Sam Houston St.
#5 Lehigh

dunbar
October 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
If Maine beats Towson, they'll probably win out, mostly because of the one-dimensionality of New Hampshire. With that, the Bears will finish 10-1, 8-0 in the CAA, outright CAA champion, and the only loss to Pitt. That alone would result with at least a four seed.

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I could also see a number of other scenerios involving two teams from the same conference being seeded. That is just the first that popped in my head.

I think the MVC or the Socon could do it.

If GSU beats ASU and loses to Wofford and Alabama the same scenerio might happen with Wofford and GSU although I see it as more unlikely.

I think with Towson and Maine playing each other the CAA doesn't get two seeds unless JMU could sneak in at #5 with some late season losses and Towson or Maine winning out.

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have a feeling we won't see it this year unless Lehigh or SHSU stumbles down the stretch. If Montana St. and Georgia Southern (sans Alabama game) win out, I bet we'll see:

#1 NDSU/UNI Winner
#2 Georgia Southern
#3 Montana St.
#4 Sam Houston St.
#5 Lehigh

Personally I think a 1 loss NDSU team should be seeded over Lehigh, but that might be just me

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
If Maine beats Towson, they'll probably win out, mostly because of the one-dimensionality of New Hampshire. With that, the Bears will finish 10-1, 8-0 in the CAA, outright CAA champion, and the only loss to Pitt. That alone would result with at least a four seed.

Maine or Towson winning out should get them a seed.

NHwildEcat
October 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM

I agree, if Maine beats Towson and UNH they will have a seed. If not then they are getting screwed!

Likewise, I don't see Towson getting a seed because I am pretty confident UNH will beat them, no matter what Maine does. I also thin UNH can beat Maine as they have gotten better on the defensive side of the ball over the course of the season.

Pitz
October 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Personally I think a 1 loss NDSU team should be seeded over Lehigh, but that might be just me

I agree, but the committee often seems to overvalue teams from the Patriot League.

NHwildEcat
October 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Should the winner of the CAA get a seeding automatically? Under this I am assuming that neither Towson or Maine wins out and captures the league crown.

Mountain Panther
October 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
In 2008 UNI and SIU both finished 7-1 in the MVFC with SIU taking the auto-bid with the head to head, but UNI got the 3 seed and SIU was left un-seeded.

I'm sure quality of host facilities had something to do with that.

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Should the winner of the CAA get a seeding automatically? Under this I am assuming that neither Towson or Maine wins out and captures the league crown.

I don't know that, I think it will come down to who and who they are against. A one loss Maine team might not beat out a one loss GSU team.

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I don't know that, I think it will come down to who and who they are against. A one loss Maine team might not beat out a one loss GSU team.

Why not???.......who has the stronger schedule? Who's "Tusculum" and what division are they?

BisonFan02
October 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM

This. No way a 1 loss NDSU team misses a seed over Lehigh.

UNHFootballAlum
if UNH wins out do they deserve a seed? They would have beaten 6 ranked (at the time they played them) teams. Lehigh, UMASS, Richmond, Towson, JMU, and Maine

NHwildEcat
Why not???.......who has the stronger schedule? Who's "Tusculum" and what division are they?

The scenario I was trying to play out would be both UNH and Maine beating Towson and setting up the last game of the season as the game to decide the conference champion. Of course if Maine wins out it would be them. But if they win all but the UNH game and UNH wins out then it is a title for UNH. Would UNH have any shot at the #5 then? They would have won 2 of their final 4 against the very two teams mentioned as candidates for a seed.

Twentysix
October 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Whats your attendance like? Is it like 5000? Probably not.

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
if UNH wins out do they deserve a seed? They would have beaten 6 ranked (at the time they played them) teams. Lehigh, UMASS, Richmond, Towson, JMU, and Maine

Yes.

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM

I guess that Montana is getting a seed then.

van
October 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Can't remember a Patriot team ever getting a seed, but then my memory isn't what it used to be.

NHwildEcat
October 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM

It's more like 7,500 and when it gets cold it will be less and less. But we have hosted games before so that cannot be the only item to go on. 9-2 and CAA champs is worth a seed. If Nova was able to get seeds and they have worse attendance issues then us, we woudl desrve it under this scenario.

van
October 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Attendance is not a factor in seeding, the best 5 teams (per the committee) get seeds and a home game if they post the minimum bid (I think $30K in round 2).

NHwildEcat
October 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Attendance is not a factor in seeding, the best 5 teams (per the committee) get seeds and a home game if they post the minimum bid (I think $30K in round 2).

Yes, the bidding. That is what would kill UNH. There is no money in this state, let alone the athletics department.

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM
What I'm wondering is how the CAA has turned into the NEC all of a sudden??? Me thinks if you replaced Maine, Towson, and ODU with "Delaware, JMU, and W&M".........this anti-CAA talk would take a bit of a turn.;););)..........

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Thank-you!!!

Some of these dopes on here are acting as if they've changed it up all of a sudden..........

Engineer86
October 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
What I'm wondering is how the CAA has turned into the NEC all of a sudden??? Me thinks if you replaced Maine, Towson, and ODU with "Delaware, JMU, and W&M".........this anti-CAA talk would take a bit of a turn.;););)..........

Absolutely it would, but isn't it clear that reputation and where you start the season plays a roll in every poll. Just be thankful you get to decide it on the field. BTW, I don't know if it is really anti CAA as much as just a lack of respect for a one year showing. Do it again next year and you will see a big change because you start with your name in the mix.

Tod
October 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM

So odd to see what's happening in the CAA this year! Go Maine!!!

Also, Montana will win out, beating MSU in the Brawl, finish 9-2 with one of the losses to Tennessee, and get the #5 seed.

:D:D:D

bjtheflamesfan
October 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I think if Maine wins out they could make a very good case for the top overall seed. Theyll be 8-0 in probably the toughest conference in America at this level and have wins over 4 ranked teams and an FBS transitional (UMass).

If they do that Id say itll pan out like this:

1. Maine
2. Georgia Southern
3. UNI/NDSU winner
4. Sam Houston State
5. UNI/NDSU loser

LUHawker
October 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I agree, but the committee often seems to overvalue teams from the Patriot League.

"overvalue"???

What alternative playoff universe have you been paying attention to?

The PL rep hasn't hosted a game since 1994 and almost every year since then, the PL team has been shipped off to one of the top CAA teams. Last year was a rare exception when Lehigh had to go to UNI (and won). The prior two years, the PL reps got sent to Nova for the first round. Previous to that, Fordham and Lafayette got sent to UMass and in '05 Lafayette had to go to Boone.

The committee clearly does not do the PL champ any favors.

mainejeff
October 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Absolutely it would, but isn't it clear that reputation and where you start the season plays a roll in every poll. Just be thankful you get to decide it on the field. BTW, I don't know if it is really anti CAA as much as just a lack of respect for a one year showing. Do it again next year and you will see a big change because you start with your name in the mix.

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking playoff seedings/selections......isn't that what this thread is about??? I don't think that Maine has to win NEXT season to get a playoff bid/good seed this season.

Dope.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
"overvalue"???

The PL rep hasn't hosted a game since 1994 and almost every year since then, the PL team has been shipped off to one of the top CAA teams. Last year was a rare exception when Lehigh had to go to UNI (and won). The prior two years, the PL reps got sent to Nova for the first round. Previous to that, Fordham and Lafayette got sent to UMass and in '05 Lafayette had to go to Boone.

I honestly do not follow the PL enough to have an educated opinion on how they are treated by the committee but Lehigh did host JMU in '04. Both teams had 9-2 regular season records.

BlueHen86
October 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
"overvalue"???

Didn't Lehigh host JMU in 2004? I agree with your point on the PL, the committee does you no favors.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Didn't Lehigh host JMU in 2004? I agree with your point on the PL, the committee does you no favors.

Teams the PL representative(s) have faced since 1997. No conference in the country has faced a road like this, none!

Colgate @ #1 seed Villanova, L 28-49

Lehigh @ #3 Richmond, W 24-23
@ Umass, L 21-27 National Champ, Lehigh had 4 downs from the 10 yard line to win at the end
Colgate @ GSU, L 28-49 National Runner-up

Lehigh @ Hostra L 15-27
Colgate @ Illinois State L 13-56

Lehigh @ Western Illinois W 37-7
@ Delaware L 22-47

Lehigh hosts Hofstra W 27-24, first time a PL hosted
@ Furman L 17-34 Furman national runner-up

Fordham @ Northeastern W 29-24
@ Villanova L 10-24

#4 seed Colgate hosts Umass, W 19-7
hosts Western Illinois, W 28-27
@ FAU, W 36-24, declined to host
Title game vs Delaware 0-40

Lehigh hosts JMU, L 13-14, JMU National Champ
Lafayette @ Delaware, L 14-28

Colgate @ UNH L 21-55
Lafayette @ App State, L 23-34, App State National Champ

Lafayette @ Umass, L, 14-35, Umass National Runner-up

Fordham @ Umass L 35-49

Colgate @ Villanova, L 28-55

Holy Cross @ Villanova, L 28-38, Villanova National Champ

Lehigh @ UNI, W 14-7
@ Delaware L, 20-42, UD National Runner-up

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Can't remember a Patriot team ever getting a seed, but then my memory isn't what it used to be.

Colgate was the #4 seed in 2003. They could have hosted FAU in the semi's but declined.

Squealofthepig
October 25th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Colgate was the #4 seed in 2003. They could have hosted FAU in the semi's but declined.

And Colgate reached the NC game that year, for anyone not paying attention.

I would say if Lehigh wins out they really should get a seed. Their only loss would be in OT to a playoff-caliber CAA team. They won all the games they were supposed to, AND only lost to a really good UNH team - what more could they do?

Pitz
October 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM
"overvalue"???

Playing away games against CAA teams has nothing do with the committee's valuation of Patriot League teams. It's simply geographic pairing and home games to seeds or highest bidder.

I'll concede that I misspoke with by using "often." Upon looking back, I see it was only 2004 and 2005 when the PL got controversial at-large bids. I suppose no PL teams in the quarterfinals since 2003 has since swayed perceptions.

Seeded or not, I think we can all agree that not many teams would want to face Lehigh in their first playoff game this year.

CopperCat
October 25th, 2011, 12:38 AM
So odd to see what's happening in the CAA this year! Go Maine!!!

Also, Montana will win out, beating MSU in the Brawl, finish 9-2 with one of the losses to Tennessee, and get the #5 seed.

:D:D:D

A bit early for this, but I'll take that bet. What's your wager?

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I would say if Lehigh wins out they really should get a seed. Their only loss would be in OT to a playoff-caliber CAA team. They won all the games they were supposed to, AND only lost to a really good UNH team - what more could they do?

I disagree with this, conditionally. I don't feel Lehigh controls their own destiny in regards to a seed. The following are hypothetical, but entirely possible, scenarios:
SoCon - If GSU wins out (not counting 'Bama), wins SoCon, only loss is to SEC powerhouse.

BSC - 'Cats win out, win the Big Sky, only loss is to FBS Utah
MVFC - assuming whoever wins this weekend wins out, NDSU/UNI get a seed; NDSU - wins MVFC, no losses, win over FBS Minn; UNI - wins MVFC, only loss to FBS Iowa State by 1.

CAA - Maine/Towson - if both win every game but the head to head... if Maine wins - win CAA, only loss is FBS Pitt; if Towson wins, win CAA, only loss to FBS Maryland; this would also mean both beat UNH, making Lehigh's loss all the more damaging

SL - SHSU wins out, winning the SL, no losses, win over FBS NM

In addition to those 5 scenarios, I could see NDSU getting a seed if they lose to UNI then win out, given that their only loss of the year was to another seeded team, especially if Lehigh's UNH OT loss is diluted by Maine and/or Towson beating UNH

IMO, Lehigh needs some help, along with running the table, to get a seed at this point. I can easily see the 4 power conference champs getting a seed, and potentially either SHSU or a 1-loss NDSU team.

Go Apps
October 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM

#1 NDSU
#2 Montana State
#3 Sam Houston State

I think the following would occur

#1 NDSU (assuming they win out)
#2 Appalachian State (assuming ASU wins out)
#3 Maine
#4 Montana State
#5 Sam Houston State
Georgia Southern and UNI would be in the discussion - if Maine, Mont St, Sam Houst lose I think GSU and UNI fall into place but rest assured the CAA will get a seed...Montana could win out and grab a seed as well this will all boil down to the GPI - that will be the biggest factor..right now that is in the favor of

GSU
NDSU
UNI
Montana State
Wofford

Go Apps
October 25th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I think if Maine wins out they could make a very good case for the top overall seed. Theyll be 8-0 in probably the toughest conference in America at this level and have wins over 4 ranked teams and an FBS transitional (UMass).

If they do that Id say itll pan out like this:

1. Maine
2. Georgia Southern
3. UNI/NDSU winner
4. Sam Houston State
5. UNI/NDSU loser

The CAA can no longer say they are the toughest conference, say 3rd best this year - the GPI will push them down but they win out and yes they get a seed

UNHFootballAlum
October 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I disagree with this, conditionally. I don't feel Lehigh controls their own destiny in regards to a seed. The following are hypothetical, but entirely possible, scenarios:
SoCon - If GSU wins out (not counting 'Bama), wins SoCon, only loss is to SEC powerhouse.

BSC - 'Cats win out, win the Big Sky, only loss is to FBS Utah
MVFC - assuming whoever wins this weekend wins out, NDSU/UNI get a seed; NDSU - wins MVFC, no losses, win over FBS Minn; UNI - wins MVFC, only loss to FBS Iowa State by 1.

CAA - Maine/Towson - if both win every game but the head to head... if Maine wins - win CAA, only loss is FBS Pitt; if Towson wins, win CAA, only loss to FBS Maryland; this would also mean both beat UNH, making Lehigh's loss all the more damaging

SL - SHSU wins out, winning the SL, no losses, win over FBS NM

In addition to those 5 scenarios, I could see NDSU getting a seed if they lose to UNI then win out, given that their only loss of the year was to another seeded team, especially if Lehigh's UNH OT loss is diluted by Maine and/or Towson beating UNH

IMO, Lehigh needs some help, along with running the table, to get a seed at this point. I can easily see the 4 power conference champs getting a seed, and potentially either SHSU or a 1-loss NDSU team.

If UNH runs the table they should be seeded as they would beaten 6 ranked teams

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
If UNH runs the table they should be seeded as they would beaten 6 ranked teams

Agreed. IMO, the SoCon, MVFC, CAA and BSC champs would all likely get a seed unless they all beat up on each other and finish w/ 2 or more conference losses. Throw in some one loss teams from these conferences (e.g. NDSU/UNI) and an undefeated SHSU and Lehigh can win out and still not get a seed. They need the teams ahead of them to fall before the regular season ends.

nmatsen
October 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
If UNI were to lose by a close margin to NDSU (and NDSU win out 11-0) and finish 9-2 I believe (not even being a homer) that to keep them un-seeded would be a travesty.

A one point loss on the road to a big XII school
A close loss to the number one team in the country on the road. (GSU is not going to beat Bama and NDSU will jump them if they beat UNI).