PDA

View Full Version : NCAA proposes Pay for Play

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Looks like the NCAA is looking into allowing teams to pay an additional $2000 to Student Athletes beyond their scholarship. Most FCS teams couldn't afford this... the article didn't say if it was yearly or one time. If its $2000/yr that would be an additional $120k to the athletic budget for Football alone. Or $2000 over 4 years is $30k for football.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=Ak3oudqZxswzyfA23J9xpKYcvrYF?slug=ap-ncaa-knightcommission

Here is one more attempt to seperate FBS and FCS programs.

HailSzczur
October 24th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Here is one more attempt to seperate FBS and FCS programs.

To me it looks like more of an attempt to separate BCS from FBS. I can't see a lot of the mid major type conferences being able to afford this either, and I know FCS won't do it. Recruiting wise though I don't know how much it will effect us. I mean it may sway some of the borderline FBS caliber players, like on Villanova RB Jamal Abdur-Rahman who had offers from Maryland and Temple.

As a college student, this talk really bothers me. At a school like Nova between tuition, room and board, books, meal plans, fees and everything else they do tend to bleed you dry. I know Villanova is expensive, but I know it happens to a degree everywhere. I can see giving them a full ride, free books and everything else, but additional money beyond that? We are all struggling here to find work study jobs and they basically have work study money handed to them.

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
To me it looks like more of an attempt to separate BCS from FBS. I can't see a lot of the mid major type conferences being able to afford this either, and I know FCS won't do it. Recruiting wise though I don't know how much it will effect us. I mean it may sway some of the borderline FBS caliber players, like on Villanova RB Jamal Abdur-Rahman who had offers from Maryland and Temple.

As a college student, this talk really bothers me. At a school like Nova between tuition, room and board, books, meal plans, fees and everything else they do tend to bleed you dry. I know Villanova is expensive, but I know it happens to a degree everywhere. I can see giving them a full ride, free books and everything else, but additional money beyond that? We are all struggling here to find work study jobs and they basically have work study money handed to them.

They are working out and studying playbooks pretty hard too though. If they're good, their work study brings in BIG $$$ for the school too. It's not as black and white as looking at it that way. I know quite a few App players who are hard pressed for any free time in between school assignments, practice, team meetings, position meetings, workouts, etc.

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Another step towards the non BCS programs combining with the top FCS conferences/or programs, to form a new playoff division of college football. The Southern Conference is pushing hard for this to happen BTW.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
What if I already gave all of my players the $2,000?
-Jim Tressell

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
-Jim Tressell

A man truly before his time.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2011, 01:21 PM
-Jim Tressell:D

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
OSU will hire Tressell back soon after this is approved because he knows the business model so well. They'll play the firing off as a research case gone wrong; the NCAA had sanctioned him privately to see how much extra these players would need.

BisonFan02
October 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM
-Jim Tressell

Hahaha, THIS!

Milktruck74
October 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Athletes on Scholarship can not earn money during the school year...at least that was the rule back in the day. However, NEED BASED GRANTS are available for qualifying students. I know there is other cost beyond what a scholarship covers, my parents use to give me $350/month to cover these cost ($10 for supplies, $10 for laundry $20 pizza and $310 in Beer).... I realize there are plenty of kids whose parents can't do this, but there is already a safety net for them. The NCAA is going to tout this as a way to "Keep the disadvantaged student in school" but the reality is there is already a program in place.

WWII
October 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
They are working out and studying playbooks pretty hard too though. If they're good, their work study brings in BIG $$$ for the school too. It's not as black and white as looking at it that way. I know quite a few App players who are hard pressed for any free time in between school assignments, practice, team meetings, position meetings, workouts, etc.

So they don't need any more money. They have no time to spend it.

Redhawk2010
October 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM

You act like athletes are the only ones with these busy schedules that don't allow them to make money. Guess what-- they're not. I put in as much (if not more!) time than athletes and didn't get paid a dime for it. We were given 3 cotton t-shirts LOL. And what I was doing also affected those that "BIG $$$" that I know you'll bring up next..

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Looks like the NCAA is looking into allowing teams to pay an additional $2000 to Student Athletes beyond their scholarship. Most FCS teams couldn't afford this...

Not every school would offer it, and probably not in all sports, though I suspect Title IX advocates will get involved at some point.

Bottom line, schools that want to participate will either raise revenues, cut costs, or offer fewer merit grants and mix some need aid into the equations.

UNH Fanboi
October 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Can't wait until female Lax players from Long Island are getting $2,000 checks in addition to a free ride. That's just what other students need to subsidize with their 50k a year.

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM
And less than 1% of the NCAA basketball TV contract could fund every $2,000 scholarship in Division I. Except no one in the NCAA wants to give that up.

OL FU
October 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Not every school would offer it, and probably not in all sports, though I suspect Title IX advocates will get involved at some point.

I don't know much about title IX but that has always been the question I had. There may be some non BCS schools that can pull this off, but if it is applied to every scholarship ( or even an equivalent in women's scholarships) once the feds or whoever sticks there nose in, you probably cut down the number of participants to 50 or so?

boogereagle
October 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I'm all for it. College athletics -- well, big time college athletics -- are nothing more than glorified minor leagues, except the athletes aren't paid anywhere near what they make for schools (yes, I'm talking revenue sports). I think players should be able to earn what they can on the market, so long as they don't cheat or break any other rule.
Why penalize a kid for selling a jersey his school is already selling and making a mint on? Why can't players talk to agents? Why is it ok for coaches to rake in millions in salaries and perks such as shoe contracts? I could go on about this all day. I won't.
I will say I hate the NCAA and want to see it demolished and replaced with something fairer.

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
-Jim Tressell

Post of the Year

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
And less than 1% of the NCAA basketball TV contract could fund every $2,000 scholarship in Division I. Except no one in the NCAA wants to give that up.

I proposed this in a variety of different forums, except in the form of the BCS contract, which doesn't even really affect the NCAA bottom line as much. Silence.

alvinkayak6
October 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hello, everyone, I thought I would clarify that this move perhaps comes on the heels of the National College Players Association petition with 300 signatures.

Did you know?

CBS paid $11 billion for 14 years of the NCAA Basketball tournament. Do the math. That's about $750 million per year. There are 68 games. Do the math. That's more than $10 million per NCAA Tournament game on average.

If you have followed this far and still believe a $10 million basketball game is a "minor league" affair, you are very, very wrong.