PDA

View Full Version : Bigger game...UNI@NDSU or GSU@ASU ? ? ?

DOME
October 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Two undefeated squads against two topp tier teams. Four solid programs all hoping to visit Texas in January.

Discuss...

TheBisonator
October 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I was gonna start this thread, but decided not to.xoopsx

You have what's likely 2 at 3 (UNI at NDSU) vs 1 at 5/6 (GSU at App).

I really don't know. All I know is that there will probably be 10-11,000 more fans at App (unless the Fargo fire marshal doesn't care anymore and invites all comers to stuff the Dome)

I seriously think we could get 23-24,000 at this game if we had a stadium big enough for this one. I'm already hearing stories of lots of people wanting tickets badly, but can't get them.

GSU EAGLES
October 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
GSU/App State 9 National titles between the top two programs in FCS history. GSU looks for back to back wins over App to take back our crown as top program in FCS. Hope you enjoyed your run over the last 6 years App.

TheBisonator
October 23rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
GSU/App State 9 National titles between the top two programs in FCS history. GSU looks for back to back titles to take back our crown as top program in FCS. Hope you enjoyed your run over the last 6 years App.

GSU/App is bigger in the larger scheme of things, but I think UNI/NDSU will have more at stake b/w the two teams.

Gringer1
October 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Already decided.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?96939-Nominations-for-the-FootballGameplan.com-AnyGivenSaturday.com-Game-of-the-Week-Week-9&highlight=game+of+the+week+8

JSUBison
October 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Does GSU and ASU loathe each other like NDSU/UNI? I know there is no love lost between ASU and GSU, but man, for only playing 3 times since NDSU moved up, players, coaches, fans, message board honks....real nasty.

Strommer10
October 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Does GSU and ASU loathe each other like NDSU/UNI? I know there is no love lost between ASU and GSU, but man, for only playing 3 times since NDSU moved up, players, coaches, fans, message board honks....real nasty.
UNI/NDSU haven't played each other since UNI's D-Coordinator bolted to NDSU last spring... Adding some extra hype/heat for this one.

I hope UNI tries to go after Klieman's secondary. MWILL will make them pay.

Squealofthepig
October 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
This really depends on what you're defining as "bigger". Both are big in different ways. UNI/NDSU it's all about seeds; GSU/ASU is about whether or not App is really a contender this year. I'm sold on UNI, NDSU and GSU this year, but I'm not sure whether or not I like App because of this year's results or because they're App (and, for the record, I feel exactly the same way about this year's Montana team).

Both should be awesome games, and the losers in both games should still be in the playoffs and have a shot at redemption, which is always scary in the playoffs!

I-16Bandit
October 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Does GSU and ASU loathe each other like NDSU/UNI?

Yes.

Squealofthepig
October 23rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yes.

If not more so.

Dignan
October 24th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Between these two games and JMU/ODU I'm going to have a busy saturday... I hope my wife appreciated the bye week this week!

darell1976
October 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Definately UNI@NDSU is bigger.xbowx

Hammerhead
October 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
NDSU "won" 3 college division championships in the late '60s based upon national polls before D-1AA and D-II were created by the NCAA.

GSU/App State 9 National titles between the top two programs in FCS history. GSU looks for back to back wins over App to take back our crown as top program in FCS. Hope you enjoyed your run over the last 6 years App.

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
NDSU "won" 3 college division championships in the late '60s based upon national polls before D-1AA and D-II were created by the NCAA.

Not really something to brag about to the "What have you done for me lately" crowd so I'll have to cast a Socon homer vote to the GSU/ASU game. GO App!!!

SpeedkingATL
October 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Got to go homer vote with ASU/GSU. Lots of hate and healthy respect between the 2 programs. When GSU was down a few years the flame wasn't as hot but now with the return of GSU it's hotter than H***. Traditions colide this weekend.

cannonballgsu
October 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Got to go homer vote with ASU/GSU. Lots of hate and healthy respect between the 2 programs. When GSU was down a few years the flame wasn't as hot but now with the return of GSU it's hotter than H***. Traditions colide this weekend.

Its.....wait for it....

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Yeah....couldn't pass that up.

And people bag on GSU when they talk about their championships from the 90's-ish!

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
GSU/App is bigger in the larger scheme of things, but I think UNI/NDSU will have more at stake b/w the two teams.

I agree

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Going by rankings and W-L, it's NDSU/UNI

Going by historical championship, then GSU/ASU, but does that mean GSU/YSU would be the best possible matchup?

Apphole
October 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Why are national rankings a factor in so many people's decision? UNI and NDSU would only win 3-4 games in the SoCon. Ever heard of SOS? Also, App and GSU individually have more fans that UNI/NDSU combined. There will be 31k+ at KBS. This is the biggest regular season game in the FCS all year.

frozennorth
October 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Why are national rankings a factor in so many people's decision? UNI and NDSU would only win 3-4 games in the SoCon. Ever heard of SOS? Also, App and GSU individually have more fans that UNI/NDSU combined. There will be 31k+ at KBS. This is the biggest regular season game in the FCS all year.
Nice troll.

8 > 6 > 3

StorminASU
October 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Nice troll.

8 > 6 > 3

Where's a place to find the OCC record between the two conferences?

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM
The teams that UNI and NDSU have this year would contend in the SoCon or any FCS conference in the country. The SoCon is a better conference top to bottom than the Missouri Valley but to say that they would be the bottom half of the SoCon is blatant homerism.

Both games are huge and I'd say if either of them were played on any other Saturday this season they'd be runaways for FCS game of the week nationally.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
This thread shows that the poll that decides the "Game of the Week" or whatever shouldn't be stickied.

Far more participation in 12 hours in this thread than the other one got in a week.

JSUBison
October 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Where's a place to find the OCC record between the two conferences?

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/

Southern 2-1 over MVFC

ASU 21 UNI 16
GSU 40 UNI 33
NDSU 34 GSU 14

Twentysix
October 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/

Southern 2-1 over MVFC

ASU 21 UNI 16
GSU 40 UNI 33
NDSU 34 GSU 14

That website says Georgia southern is 1-3 against YSU. Maybe they happened before GSU was in the socon?

L
11-02-1991
Statesboro, GA

L
11-21-1992
Youngstown, OH

L
12-04-1993
Youngstown, OH
Division I-AA Quarterfinal Playoff Game

W
12-20-1999
Chattanooga, TN
Division I-AA Championship Gam

JSUBison
October 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
That website says Georgia southern is 1-3 against YSU. Maybe they happened before GSU was in the socon?

L
11-02-1991
Statesboro, GA

L
11-21-1992
Youngstown, OH

L
12-04-1993
Youngstown, OH
Division I-AA Quarterfinal Playoff Game

W
12-20-1999
Chattanooga, TN
Division I-AA Championship Gam

I messed that up, xscanx I clicked on just NDSU and UNI, and then clicked record against other conferences. Technically I was wrong twice, as NDSU VS GSU occurred when NDSU was a member of the Great West.

CropDuster
October 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
NDSU fans are more annoying than Ghey State. That takes some effort, congrats Bison.

PS, Nobody in FCS gives a **** about your D2 titles.

Mountain Panther
October 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
ASU 21 UNI 16

Six years ago? Are you kidding me?

Twentysix
October 24th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Whats that georgia southern fan? You are 0-1 against us?

hahah

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Six years ago? Are you kidding me?

Against UNI's best team ever?

344Johnson
October 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM

NDSU and UNI would both do well in the SoCon and you know it. Power football works anywhere for NDSU, and UNI is athletic enough to compete with anyone.

They are both huge games, I think it just depends on which conference you prefer. Both will be good atmospheres. 31,000 sounds pretty legit though! But so does #2 vs. #3!

achrist70
October 24th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Really probably wasn't UNI's best team ever it just got hot at the right time. 2007 2008 2011 are all probably more talented teams, as well as many of the 1990's teams, sometimes it is just who you get to play in the playoffs.

Gil Dobie
October 24th, 2011, 12:16 PM
NDSU fans are more annoying than Ghey State. That takes some effort, congrats Bison.

PS, Nobody in FCS gives a **** about your D2 titles.

When has Georgia Southern ever beat NDSU ;)

In recent history, NDSU took the National Champion into overtime at their house, Georgia Southern lost to the runnerup.

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think we will really know until playoffs which one is more important.

I hate to bring logic into a p!$$!ng contest, but lets think about this.

GSU/ASU are two of the premier FCS programs, and easily two of the most recongnizable. It wouldn't matter if one team was ranked #1 and the other was ranked #100 the game will be close. You can say what you want about rivals, but the success of these two schools in the past would virtually trump any rivalry we have seen lately.

GSU has 6 national championships, 8 SOCON Championships since 1993 including a string of 6 consecutive.
ASU has 3 national championships, 8 SOCON Championships since 1995 (11 total) and a current string of 6 consecutive.

GSU would like nothing more than to end that streak by beating ASU this saturday essentially ending that streak. GSU appears to be back, and they are doing it with the same offense that got them on the map in the first place. ASU hasn't quite gotten back up to the national championship level they had been, but without a doubt have been a team no one wants to see in the playoffs.

The biggest impact of this game isn't just for this season, but long term was ASU stands a chance to win out and hold at least a share of their seventh consecutive socon championship. For GSU, winning this game puts them in prime position for a top #1 or #2 seed. Wofford is still on the schedule so it isn't a walk in the park, but this is a must win if GSU wants to stay in Statesboro for the playoffs.

UNI/NDSU

This is the biggest game for THIS season that we have had yet. Rarely will you see a matchup of number #2 vs #3 during the regular season. The winner of this game will more thank likely win the MVC and lock up a #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs. Like the GSU/ASU game both teams should still make their way into the playoffs, but this game holds the key to how far these teams may be going in the playoffs.

Also like the GSU/ASU game both of these teams have seen their success recently. They don't have the history that GSU/ASU has, but both teams know how to win and this should be a great game.

Both enviroments are electic and should provide for a fantastic gameday experience for all those attending. Both games should provide a taste of the playoffs as these should both be great games, difference being the bitter rivalry between the schools. GSU/ASU already there and UNI/NDSU only growing as this is becoming another solid rivalry.

If you have to pick one game that is more important it comes down to which you value more. This season or Long term history involving power teams at the FCS level.

Gotta go with GSU/ASU because of that.

ValleyChamp
October 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Not even close. We barely made the playoffs that year.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think we will really know until playoffs which one is more important.

I hate to bring logic into a p!$$!ng contest, but lets think about this.

GSU/ASU are two of the premier FCS programs, and easily two of the most recongnizable. It wouldn't matter if one team was ranked #1 and the other was ranked #100 the game will be close. You can say what you want about rivals, but the success of these two schools in the past would virtually trump any rivalry we have seen lately.

GSU has 6 national championships, 8 SOCON Championships since 1993 including a string of 6 consecutive.
ASU has 3 national championships, 8 SOCON Championships since 1995 (11 total) and a current string of 6 consecutive.

GSU would like nothing more than to end that streak by beating ASU this saturday essentially ending that streak. GSU appears to be back, and they are doing it with the same offense that got them on the map in the first place. ASU hasn't quite gotten back up to the national championship level they had been, but without a doubt have been a team no one wants to see in the playoffs.

The biggest impact of this game isn't just for this season, but long term was ASU stands a chance to win out and hold at least a share of their seventh consecutive socon championship. For GSU, winning this game puts them in prime position for a top #1 or #2 seed. Wofford is still on the schedule so it isn't a walk in the park, but this is a must win if GSU wants to stay in Statesboro for the playoffs.

UNI/NDSU

This is the biggest game for THIS season that we have had yet. Rarely will you see a matchup of number #2 vs #3 during the regular season. The winner of this game will more thank likely win the MVC and lock up a #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs. Like the GSU/ASU game both teams should still make their way into the playoffs, but this game holds the key to how far these teams may be going in the playoffs.

Also like the GSU/ASU game both of these teams have seen their success recently. They don't have the history that GSU/ASU has, but both teams know how to win and this should be a great game.

Both enviroments are electic and should provide for a fantastic gameday experience for all those attending. Both games should provide a taste of the playoffs as these should both be great games, difference being the bitter rivalry between the schools. GSU/ASU already there and UNI/NDSU only growing as this is becoming another solid rivalry.

If you have to pick one game that is more important it comes down to which you value more. This season or Long term history involving power teams at the FCS level.

Gotta go with GSU/ASU because of that.
Good points and you're right to go with GSU/ASU just like I'm right to go with NDSU/UNI. A couple things to add:

1) The NDSU/UNI rivalry is in its infancy of the D1 stage but goes back a looooong time to when these teams hated each other in D2.
2) The last time these teams met up in Fargo there was a fight that got NDSU's All-American RB suspended for a game for throwing a punch. NDSU claims that the UNI LB was cheap and classless for riding our RB 15 yards out of bounds and UNI claims that it proves NDSU is a bunch of upstart punks. There is genuine dislike here and it's not just between the fans.
3) This past year there were no words minced by UNI's head coach when NDSU hired away one of his top assistants when he accused NDSU of "buying wins". There's genuine dislike here and it's not just between the fans and the players.
4) NDSU has beaten every other team in the Missouri Valley at least twice since the D1 move. We have yet to beat UNI.

One of our rallying points in this entire move to D1 has been to prove that our football team can compete at the highest level of this subdivision and until we beat UNI we haven't even proven we can win our conference. ASU/GSU is a great rivalry and a more longstanding (D1) rivalry than the NDSU/UNI rivalry. This year the ASU/GSU game will be a great game but it's just another great game in a string of them for this rivalry. However, this year's UNI game for NDSU is more than just a rivalry game. This is the best team we've brought into our 4 matchups with UNI to this point. It's personal, it's genuine dislike, and it's a chance for vindication.

CAN'T WAIT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY)

asknoquarter21
October 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Good points and you're right to go with GSU/ASU just like I'm right to go with NDSU/UNI. A couple things to add:

1) The NDSU/UNI rivalry is in its infancy of the D1 stage but goes back a looooong time to when these teams hated each other in D2.
2) The last time these teams met up in Fargo there was a fight that got NDSU's All-American RB suspended for a game for throwing a punch. NDSU claims that the UNI LB was cheap and classless for riding our RB 15 yards out of bounce and UNI claims that it proves NDSU is a bunch of upstart punks. There is genuine dislike here and it's not just between the fans.
3) This past year there were no words minced by UNI's head coach when NDSU hired away one of his top assistants when he accused NDSU of "buying wins". There's genuine dislike here and it's not just between the fans and the players.
4) NDSU has beaten every other team in the Missouri Valley at least twice since the D1 move. We have yet to beat UNI.

One of our rallying points in this entire move to D1 has been to prove that our football team can compete at the highest level of this subdivision and until we beat UNI we haven't even proven we can win our conference. ASU/GSU is a great rivalry and a more longstanding (D1) rivalry than the NDSU/UNI rivalry. This year the ASU/GSU game will be a great game but it's just another great game in a string of them for this rivalry. However, this year's UNI game for NDSU is more than just a rivalry game. This is the best team we've brought into our 4 matchups with UNI to this point. It's personal, it's genuine dislike, and it's a chance for vindication.

CAN'T WAIT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY)

Well Said, I always like when top teams end up being each others biggest rival.

Sounds like you've got something special brewing up there in terms of a solid rivalry. I hope this game doesn't disappoint.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Really splitting hairs honestly. The winner of each of these games will be in great position for a conference crown and home field throughout the postseason. Regular season games don't get much bigger than that. In terms of fan interest, the ASU/GSU game will be technically 'bigger' but when you have 4 of the top 5 ranked teams in the country playing in 2 games, you've got some heavyweights slugging it out this weekend.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Really splitting hairs honestly. The winner of each of these games will be in great position for a conference crown and home field throughout the postseason. Regular season games don't get much bigger than that. In terms of fan interest, the ASU/GSU game will be technically 'bigger' but when you have 4 of the top 5 ranked teams in the country playing in 2 games, you've got some heavyweights slugging it out this weekend.

This!

JSUBison
October 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM

I agree with you Apphole in your national rankings take. Biggest game of the year doesn't have to be the one with the highest rankings. Case in point, I think you are off stating the GSU/ASU game will be the biggest game in FCS this year. Capital City Classic between Jackson State and Alcorn draw 31,000 on a bad year. SWAC championship as well probably out do GSU/ASU. But if the fans are lined up clamoring to get in, pack them in and set a new record in Boone whatever that may be.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Troll away.

I disagree with the point that because there will be more people in KBS that the game is bigger. I mean 31k is impressive, but judging the magnitude of a game off of the number of fans is idiotic. Heck, there were 110,343 in the Big House for Michigan vs Eastern Michigan earlier this year. Does that make it a bigger game than Alabama vs LSU which can only have 101,821 fans?

Of course there are more ASU or GSU fans there is more population in Georgia or North Carolina than probably Iowa and North Dakota combined. And to say UNI or NDSU would only win 3 games in the SoCon is probably the craziest thing in your post, but I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

Both are big games, and probably about equal in magnitude. I mean UNI vs NDSU is huge in the MVFC race just like ASU vs GSU is huge in the SoCon race. Both games will have huge implications on seeding in the playoffs as well.

TheBisonator
October 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Why are national rankings a factor in so many people's decision? UNI and NDSU would only win 3-4 games in the SoCon.

This is where I banged my forehead on the keyboard.

TheBisonator
October 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Troll away.

I disagree with the point that because there will be more people in KBS that the game is bigger. I mean 31k is impressive, but judging the magnitude of a game off of the number of fans is idiotic. Heck, there were 110,343 in the Big House for Michigan vs Eastern Michigan earlier this year. Does that make it a bigger game than Alabama vs LSU which can only have 101,821 fans?

Of course there are more ASU or GSU fans there is more population in Georgia or North Carolina than probably Iowa and North Dakota combined. And to say UNI or NDSU would only win 3 games in the SoCon is probably the craziest thing in your post, but I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

Both are big games, and probably about equal in magnitude. I mean UNI vs NDSU is huge in the MVFC race just like ASU vs GSU is huge in the SoCon race. Both games will have huge implications on seeding in the playoffs as well.

Agreed with you. When I read his 3-4 wins quip, I had to make sure if I was still on Planet Earth.

GSU EAGLES
October 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM

We weren't playing then. Had we been we probably would have won those.

TheBisonator
October 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
We weren't playing then. Had we been we probably would have won those.

And if Megan Fox walked right up next to me at this moment, she'd want to have sex with me right away.

I just KNOW she would...

semobison
October 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=GSU EAGLES;1705713]We weren't playing then. Had we been we probably would have won those.[/QUOT

In 1992 Troy beat you guys at your house 21-0! Since then your worst home loss has been to NDSU in 2006 34-14! We were still in our Transition to D1! Now dont tell me how bad you were that year! Nobody else on your schedule beat you as bad as we did!

Woody Hayes
October 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
UNI/NDSU haven't played each other since UNI's D-Coordinator bolted to NDSU last spring... Adding some extra hype/heat for this one.

I hope UNI tries to go after Klieman's secondary. MWILL will make them pay.

MWILL will be pumped up to gaurd his buddy terrell sinkfeld first play of the game this "God" MWILL gets burnt for 80+ yard touchdown

LakesBison
October 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
this is 2011 people, this is the biggest game ever in fargodome until the ESPN2 SEMIFINAL GAME

and yes Sink and Mwill are bud... and so is billy turner and sonie.

Woody Hayes
October 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Mwill will be thrown at once the whole game and it will be the first play from scrimmage when he is trying to jam sink touchdown

LakesBison
October 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
MWill doesnt need to "jam" anyone he likes to chill and bait QB's.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
That settles it, UNI/NDSU is the biggest game 62-60 voting closed. :D

eaglemachine
October 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=GSU EAGLES;1705713]We weren't playing then. Had we been we probably would have won those.[/QUOT

In 1992 Troy beat you guys at your house 21-0! Since then your worst home loss has been to NDSU in 2006 34-14! We were still in our Transition to D1! Now dont tell me how bad you were that year! Nobody else on your schedule beat you as bad as we did!

Everyone beat us in 2006. You played a team with a 1st year coach that ended with the worst record in GSU history and benched the next years Payton Award winner then quit at the end of the year. Congratulations on beating the worst GSU team ever:

Erk Russell (Auburn) 8 1982–1989 106 83 22 1 .790
Tim Stowers (Auburn) 6 1990–1995 74 51 23 0 .689
Frank Ellwood (Ohio State) 1 1996 11 4 7 0 .364
Paul Johnson (Western Carolina) 5 1997-2001 72 62 10 0 .861
Mike Sewak (Virginia) 4 2002-2005 49 35 14 0 .714
Brian VanGorder (Wayne State) 1 2006 11 3 8 0 .273
Chris Hatcher (Valdosta State) 3 2007–2009 33 18 15 0 .545
Jeff Monken (Millikin) 2 2010- 20 15 5 0 .750

If you had played us a year prior, you would not be complaining about not playing the return game. I would love to play you guys in the playoffs to shut you guys up.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Everyone beat us in 2006. You played a team with a 1st year coach that ended with the worst record in GSU history and benched the next years Payton Award winner then quit at the end of the year. Congratulations on beating the worst GSU team ever:

Erk Russell (Auburn) 8 1982–1989 106 83 22 1 .790
Tim Stowers (Auburn) 6 1990–1995 74 51 23 0 .689
Frank Ellwood (Ohio State) 1 1996 11 4 7 0 .364
Paul Johnson (Western Carolina) 5 1997-2001 72 62 10 0 .861
Mike Sewak (Virginia) 4 2002-2005 49 35 14 0 .714
Brian VanGorder (Wayne State) 1 2006 11 3 8 0 .273
Chris Hatcher (Valdosta State) 3 2007–2009 33 18 15 0 .545
Jeff Monken (Millikin) 2 2010- 20 15 5 0 .750

If you had played us a year prior, you would not be complaining about not playing the return game. I would love to play you guys in the playoffs to shut you guys up.

Whats that? you are winless against NDSU? Yeah thought so.

eaglemachine
October 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Whats that? you are winless against NDSU? Yeah thought so.

Yes, Van Gorderized GSU vs NDSU is 0-1

Twentysix
October 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Glad you will admit it. Others of your kind are too chicken. Props to you, fail to them.

Would be a great game in the playoffs. Much better if you have to come here.

eaglemachine
October 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Glad you will admit it. Others of your kind are too chicken. Props to you, fail to them.

Would be a great game in the playoffs. Much better if you have to come here.

Definitely, I hope it works out so we meet in the playoffs, except you guys travel to Paulson. Fargo is too far away. :)

Twentysix
October 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Definitely, I hope it works out so we meet in the playoffs, except you guys travel to Paulson. Fargo is too far away. :)

We've been there done that. Its your turn to come to the fargodome.

Its inside so you wont have to deal with cold.

LakesBison
October 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
NDSU playoff run would be sweet to get Montana in 1st round at dome (crush them) Montana State 2nd round at fargodome, (crush them) Ga Southern at Fargodome (CRUSH THEM) and APPY state in Frisco Tx.!

boonegoon
October 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
NDSU playoff run would be sweet to get Montana in 1st round at dome (crush them) Montana State 2nd round at fargodome, (crush them) Ga Southern at Fargodome (CRUSH THEM) and APPY state in Frisco Tx.!

i like it!

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Appy State?! So this is how they somehow rank where they do in the polls currently

SpeedkingATL
October 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM

I like that too!

Woody Hayes
October 25th, 2011, 04:24 PM
MWill doesnt need to "jam" anyone he likes to chill and bait QB's.

We have the Fastest players in MVFC football they will give the bison issues

GSUhooligan
October 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
As of this post:

GSU/ Appy St thread, 22 pages

UNI/NDSU thread, 6 pages

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
We have the Fastest players in MVFC football they will give the bison issues

The Bison also have some fast players.

It is going to be a good game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM
As of this post:

GSU/ Appy St thread, 22 pages

UNI/NDSU thread, 6 pages

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

....considering there are probably 5-10X the number of posters from your two fanbases on here.....no surprise!

Woody Hayes
October 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
....considering there are probably 5-10X the number of posters from your two fanbases on here.....no surprise!

They also dont go to school or work up there in the moutains

T-Dog
October 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM

We've been doing this for years. We know how to multitask.

Any game would be hard-pressed to beat Black Saturday. But this is #1 GSU @ #5 ASU. Rankings-wise, this is the biggest Black Saturday ever. You don't beat that.

344Johnson
October 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
We've been doing this for years. We know how to multitask.

Any game would be hard-pressed to beat Black Saturday. But this is #1 GSU @ #5 ASU. Rankings-wise, this is the biggest Black Saturday ever. You don't beat that.

#2 vs. #3/ seems like it could maybe beat #1 vs. #5. Hopefully both games are good. It is never too much fun when big games end in blowout.

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
#2 vs. #3/ seems like it could maybe beat #1 vs. #5. Hopefully both games are good. It is never too much fun when big games end in blowout.
I would have an absolute blast if the Bison blew out UNI.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM

I would argue that that makes it a bigger game....

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM

That makes sense in you mind because of your ignorance. Black Saturday is huge. Huge I say

LakesBison
October 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
is there 20 posts on craigslist and your message board looking for tickets?

is there a post on mountianville craigslist for $100/ticket like there is for NDSU/UNI? doubt that.

eaglemachine
October 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM

is there a post on mountianville craigslist for $100/ticket like there is for NDSU/UNI? doubt that.

GSU/ASU game is in a bigger stadium with no real set capacity limit. NDSU/UNI is in a smaller venue that is a dome.

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
A game between the winner of the GSU/ASU and NDSU/uni games would be bigger. :)

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM

You shouldn't get rewarded for creating artificial demand by setting aside space for Sunday's tractor pull. Hold your game in a real stadium and see how many requests are on Craigslist....

frozennorth
October 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You shouldn't get rewarded for creating artificial demand by setting aside space for Sunday's tractor pull. Hold your game in a real stadium and see how many requests are on Craigslist....

Tractor pull? Is that a southern thing?

In real stadiums, people don't sit on berms.

Twentysix
October 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thats funny cause we held a game at TCF and the same thing happened for even more $$$$.

Although you cant sit on a grass dike at TCF like you can in the south. xrotatehx

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM
UNI-NDSU is bigger in the fact that it is 2 Top 5 teams. GSU-App is bigger for App's playoff hopes.

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM

But we can spell.

344Johnson
October 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
But we can spell.

Up in North Dakota and Iowa, we have never been around Mountains, so for some of us, it is hard to spell it. Just like how I'm sure a fair share of southerners wouldn't see any problem with spelling our region of the country as the "Great Planes"

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Up in North Dakota and Iowa, we have never been around Mountains, so for some of us, it is hard to spell it. Just like how I'm sure a fair share of southerners wouldn't see any problem with spelling our region of the country as the "Great Planes"

xlolx Well they are flat!

Skjellyfetti
October 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM
UNI-NDSU is bigger in the fact that it is 2 Top 5 teams.

App - GSU is also 2 top 5 teams. Depending on what poll you're looking at.

344Johnson
October 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
xlolx Well they are flat!

Touche my Appalachian counterpart!

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
App and GaSo are two of the most nationaly recognizable names in the FCS. Number one and three probably. It would be a bigger game if ASU and GaSo were ranked at 8 and 9. Get out of here. How often are these two schools ranked anyway?

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
As frequently as UNI and NDSU.

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Tractor pull? Is that a southern thing?

In real stadiums, people don't sit on berms.

Real football is played outside.....quit being a bunch of pu$$ie$ and put some thermals on for crissakes....

I-16Bandit
October 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Real football is played outside.....quit being a bunch of pu$$ie$ and put some thermals on for crissakes....

Shhhhh. Don't say that too loud. The GA State fans might hear you and get angry.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM
We can only hope that someday we North Dakotans figure out how to deal with the cold xrolleyesx

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
We can only hope that someday we North Dakotans figure out how to deal with the cold xrolleyesx

...and the rest of the FCS hope, someday, the on-field results match the lofty message board rhetoric of NDSU fans.....someday....

unigriff
October 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
It doesn't bother us one bit...we practice outside in snow and freezing temps. I'd say in that aspect, its a bigger advantage for us up north. The Texas "heat" didn't really bother UNI at SFA either as Iowa gets just as hot n muggy as Texas. (just not as long for the year). The Southern teams however can't hack the Northern Exposure usually because they don't play in both extremes. Only one of them!

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Oooo yaa yaa. We Narth Dakohdans play in a dooome because it's so cooold in Farg-oh don't-cha-knooo! The MVC is just as tough as the Sooohh-Con don't cha knooooow. Yaaa. Lutefisk is delicious Yaaaa!!

I used to watch Bobby's World as a kid and Fargo is a great movie.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
...and the rest of the FCS hope, someday, the on-field results match the lofty message board rhetoric of NDSU fans.....someday....
That'll likely happen shortly after it does for App, GSU, UNI, Chatty, Lehigh, etc.

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
It doesn't bother us one bit...we practice outside in snow and freezing temps. I'd say in that aspect, its a bigger advantage for us up north. The Texas "heat" didn't really bother UNI at SFA either as Iowa gets just as hot n muggy as Texas. (just not as long for the year). The Southern teams however can't hack the Northern Exposure usually because they don't play in both extremes. Only one of them!

It didn't seem to help you in the cold 2005....perhaps you should play more games outside...

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/71173676847198994527.jpg

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
That'll likely happen shortly after it does for App, GSU, UNI, Chatty, Lehigh, etc.

You'd be right if this was a D2 message board....hat's off to your D2 record of success....

darell1976
October 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM
xpopcornx

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Average daily high temp in Fargo in mid-November: 37 degrees
Average daily high temp in Boone in mid-November: 55 degrees

In Fargo, after Thanksgiving and by the beginning of the playoffs, average temps start dropping like an anchor from the 30's.

Speaking of which, I'm getting snow in Toronto tomorrow night while Fargo will be clear and in the mid-30's that night. WHY DOES THIS ***** FOLLOW ME EVERYWHERE I GO???

ValleyChamp
October 26th, 2011, 03:08 PM
It didn't seem to help you in the cold 2005....perhaps you should play more games outside...

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/71173676847198994527.jpg

Ok?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Appy State probably has more "riding" on this game than the other 3 teams. Another loss would not be good. Although a 8-3 or 7-4 Appy team will still be in the playoffs.

LakesBison
October 26th, 2011, 04:19 PM
NDSU/UNI is by far the biggest game this weekend, I just heard on minneapolis radio they were talking about the game.

Is anyone in Atlanta talking about your game? I doubt it.

Skjellyfetti
October 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
NDSU/UNI is by far the biggest game this weekend, I just heard on minneapolis radio they were talking about the game.

They were talking about it in Charlotte today. Not sure about Atlanta.

Woody Hayes
October 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1706839]Oooo yaa yaa. We Narth Dakohdans play in a dooome because it's so cooold in Farg-oh don't-cha-knooo! The MVC is just as tough as the Sooohh-Con don't cha knooooow. Yaaa. Lutefisk is delicious Yaaaa!!

We do play football in domes up here yall. lets go play some football yall. were the best team ever yall. You people from the south cant make fun of anyones gramar yall.

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1706839]Oooo yaa yaa. We Narth Dakohdans play in a dooome because it's so cooold in Farg-oh don't-cha-knooo! The MVC is just as tough as the Sooohh-Con don't cha knooooow. Yaaa. Lutefisk is delicious Yaaaa!!

We do play football in domes up here yall. lets go play some football yall. were the best team ever yall. You people from the south cant make fun of anyones gramar yall.

Can we make fun of their spelling?

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM

They were talking about it in Charlotte today. Not sure about Atlanta.

Didn't hear it myself (since I'm in Savannah), but it was reported on GSUFans.com the other day that they were talking about it on one of the sports talk radio stations in Atlanta.

Apphole
October 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
You also have to keep in mind that Ga has 3 FBS schools and NC has 5. ND has none and Il has 2-3?

boonegoon
October 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM

We have this pissing match every year. Montana fans against App always said we wont be able to handle the cold. Both times we played in Missoula the weather in Boone at that time was similar. I did live in Montana for a year and will freely admit it was the coldest I have ever been. 3 months of below zero weather. But to say Boone doesn't get cold and snowy is flat wrong.

Woody Hayes
October 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
You also have to keep in mind that Ga has 3 FBS schools and NC has 5. ND has none and Il has 2-3?

IL has northern illinois and illinios and IA which is where UNI is from has iowa and iowa state

GSUhooligan
October 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM
IL has northern illinois and illinios

And Northwestern

Skjellyfetti
October 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
This thread is longer than the UNI-NDSU thread.

Hmmmmm. xcoffeex

DJKyR0
October 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Oooo yaa yaa. We Narth Dakohdans play in a dooome because it's so cooold in Farg-oh don't-cha-knooo! The MVC is just as tough as the Sooohh-Con don't cha knooooow. Yaaa. Lutefisk is delicious Yaaaa!!

You had to bring the lutefisk into this...

Appaholic
October 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Average daily high temp in Fargo in mid-November: 37 degrees
Average daily high temp in Boone in mid-November: 55 degrees

In Fargo, after Thanksgiving and by the beginning of the playoffs, average temps start dropping like an anchor from the 30's...

....which doesn't really matter since you play indoors with the other women....like UNI.....

NDB
October 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
You had to bring the lutefisk into this...

Sh#t just got real.

Ginsbach
October 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM
....which doesn't really matter since you play indoors with the other women....like UNI.....

There's also the fact that an indoor football field can be used as a multipurpose venue for other things, like trade shows, basketball games, wrestling tournaments, and concerts that help defray the cost of putting a large structure up.

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I should break out the YouTube vid of the highlights of that one playoff game we had in the 1980's against Augustana at the old Dacotah Field that had 2,200 announced attendance and looked like a football game was going on in that movie "The Day After Tommorow".

Actually, I'll try to find it.

TheBisonator
October 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Here we are, folks. Come Thanksgiving time, while Boone on average basks in 40 degree temps, s**t like this goes down in Fargo.

Yeah, we know, that's a young Ed Schultz hosting the Bison football show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BhQq3RC7gY

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I was a senior in HS and watched that game.....awesome!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
That 86 team and the way they ran the veer could have beat most FCS teams....probably some FBS teams.

Didn't they beat teams an ave of 42-7 that year?

Gil Dobie
October 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM
It's probably biggest for NDSU, it would give them their first FCS win over UNI the yearly conference winner. Next it would give NDSU a winning record in the MVFC for the first time, third, it could put NDSU on the path to a first possible MVFC conference championship. For UNI, it's an opportunity to cement it's place at the top of the conference.

Gil Dobie
October 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM
That 86 team and the way they ran the veer could have beat most FCS teams....probably some FBS teams.

Didn't they beat teams an ave of 42-7 that year?

UND scored the most points against NDSU that year, 13. Unfortunately for UND, the Bison scored 62.

darell1976
October 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
UND scored the most points against NDSU that year, 13. Unfortunately for UND, the Bison scored 62.

That was our 2 win team.:( NDSU was a total domination in the 80's!!) We lost 62-13 in '86, 49-0 in '85 and 42-10 in '87. As Archie Bunker used to sing..."those were the days".

eaglemachine
October 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Here we are, folks. Come Thanksgiving time, while Boone on average basks in 40 degree temps, s**t like this goes down in Fargo.

Why are they playing football on a ice hockey rink?

TheBisonator
October 27th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Why are they playing football on a ice hockey rink?

Cause that's how we used to ******ing ROLL in the Northland.

Then we got tired of doing that.

Speaking of which....... "ICE hockey"?? No wonder you guys lost the Thrashers.

LakesBison
October 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
NDSU/UNI is starting to get real, PREPARTY at JT CIGARRO"S FRIDAY NIGHT, EVERCLEAR IS PLAYING OUTDOOR CONCERT>
TAILGATING STARTS AT 10AM. THEN DOWNTOWN FARGO FOR HALLOWEEN SATURDAY NIGHT!!

this is bigger than the banjo pickers down south.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM
GSU v. ASU is bigger... way more tradition

344Johnson
October 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
GSU v. ASU is bigger... way more tradition

NDSU vs. UNI is bigger. Higher ranked teams.

blueballs
October 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM

In the south "hockey" refers those piles in a field or pen full of livestock that flies circle and you don't want to step in or smell.

LakesBison
October 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM
hockey is stupid. back to FOOTBALL. its crazy all the people looking for tickets for this game!

344Johnson
October 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM
In the south "hockey" refers those piles in a field or pen full of livestock that flies circle and you don't want to step in or smell.

I like the southern mentality regarding hockey.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM

so because teams are ranked higher makes it a bigger game even though all four teams are in the top 5?...

I am sorry... nope...

eaglemachine
October 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Cause that's how we used to ******ing ROLL in the Northland.

Then we got tired of doing that.

haha. Yeah, no one really went to Thrasher games

eaglemachine
October 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Lets see:
#1 GSU vs #5 ASU
-9 NC's between them
-2 of the most nationally prominent SoCon and FSC teams
-Both have streaks of 6 consecutive SoCon Championships. If GSU wins ASU current streak is over and they have to settle for a tie with GSU's record.
-Both ranked in the top 5 and have met with similar rankings in the past.
-Traditional close, hard, fought rivalry game with rankings thrown out the window
-The visiting team in this series usually has not fared well (ASU was ranked number 1 last year going into Paulson) only winning 3 games a piece in one another's venues over the years.
-Only SoCon team that GSU has a losing record against. If GSU wins this year they even the series.
-30K+ in attendance
-SoCon is better than your conference.

No doubt your game is going to be good, but the bigger game is in the SoCon this week.

BisonBohl
October 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
UNI vs NDSU...because NDSU is playing!

Hammerhead
October 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I was at that game. The 1986 team was nearly unstoppable.

Gil Dobie
October 27th, 2011, 06:52 PM
NDSU & UNI go back to 1939
Have played 43 times, UNI leads all-time series 25-18
NDSU total 621 wins, UNI 620 wins

ASU & GSU go back to 1932
Have played 26 times, ASU leads all-time series 13-12-1
ASU 552 wins, GSU 346 wins

Skjellyfetti
October 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I think, according to The Great Compromise, D-II wins only count as 3/5 of a win.

LakesBison
October 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/2471473-post19.html

THis is what the NDSU tailgate scene will look like... LETS FREAKIN PARTY ALREADY!!!

TheBisonator
October 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think, according to The Great Compromise, D-II wins only count as 3/5 of a win.

This post was very cerebral and as a former political science minor, I was able to really enjoy it.

Kudos, jelly.

344Johnson
October 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
This post was very cerebral and as a former political science minor, I was able to really enjoy it.

Kudos, jelly.

As a History Major, I too am willing to take his post and smile. Perhaps we should all take a lesson from the Chinese Exclusion Act and stop allowing DII teams to immigrate into DI and ruin our fine product?

pbr1893
October 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I was at that game. The 1986 team was nearly unstoppable.

you mean snow??? like this??? nope...never seen it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5f7GsErqo

ps...its a toss up...id love to have a home and home with uni or ndsu...lets get that done!

straightshooter
October 27th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Best wishes for a great game up there guys, but here's the difference...GSU/ASU = 19 SoCon Championships, 9 FCS National Championships, 156 All-Americans, 30,000+ in attendance. In other words...Black Saturday at The Rock, Magical Beautiful Eagle Creek Water in the end zones and a big dose of "Good Old Fashioned Hate" between the two fan bases. Not to mention two very good football teams on the field.

Engy0
October 27th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Here is the way I see it.

These games are being played this year and not in the past. There is no doubt that ASU/GSU have far superior resumes in terms of National Championships, but these games are essentially the same. You have an undefeated team vs a top tier opponent with the chance that the #1 seed in the playoffs being decided. Obviously there are games to be played after these but the two winners of these games would have the inside track to the #1 and #2 seeds.

There seems to be a regional bias, which is to be expected, but I for one am excited to see both games as a fan of FCS football.

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
"Magical beautiful eagle creek"xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

TheBisonator
October 27th, 2011, 10:37 PM
"Magical beautiful eagle creek"xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Who knows what kind of mercury and dioxin and elk piss is involved with the undertones of that statement....

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Who knows what kind of mercury and dioxin and elk piss is involved with the undertones of that statement....

Whatever it is, it smells awful. Hence, the stink.

straightshooter
October 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM

We don't have any elk in south Georgia...

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
We don't have any elk in south Georgia...

There are only manbearpigs and their blood is 98% alcohol.

SouthernStyle
October 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM
We love us some manbearpig!!! And beer too

TheBisonator
October 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
There are only manbearpigs and their blood is 98% alcohol.

Manbearpiss??

SumItUp
October 28th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I think one of these four teams is a PRETENDER. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

Gil Dobie
October 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I think one of these four teams is a PRETENDER. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

All 4 were playoff teams last year

Gil Dobie
October 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Game Day threads went NDSU/UNI's way today. ;)

Mountaineer
October 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM

And still 5 pages short of the ASU/GSU pregame banter thread. xthumbsupx

T-Dog
October 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM

We were all at the game. xbeerchugxxbeerdrinkxxslapfightx

Twentysix
October 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you app. I asked and you delivered.

Hammerhead
October 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM
current NFL players ASU + GSU = 6. NDSU + UNI = 6

...9 FCS National Championships, 156 All-Americans, 30,000+ in attendance. ... Not to mention two very good football teams on the field.

boonegoon
October 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Now that they are played out. Who did you think was a pretender?

owascoag
October 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Maine/UNH