PDA

View Full Version : ODU/JMU - A new rivalry is born

19Duke97
October 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Should be an interesting matchup, and I expect a heated one. Lots of banter on the CAAZONE boards already, and expect it to only get hotter as the week goes on. Feel free to discuss...

Monarch Nation
October 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I have taken my leave from the CAAZone because my IQ goes down each time I visit.

Looking forward to the game, but I fear the week in - week out pounding from the CAA is beginning to take it's toll.

Tribal
October 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have taken my leave from the CAAZone because my IQ goes down each time I visit.

I can see why you feel this way but W&M has no team message board so I'm stuck. I need to stay away from posting on other team's boards because it seems everything posted by an opponent is perceived as smack.

If this game was at JMU, I'd give the edge to the Dukes. ODU has an excellent gameday experience so playing in Norfolk helps the Monarchs. Both teams have let a game slip away so this one could easily come down to a brain fart. Good luck to both.

JmuSkinsfan
October 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
JMU has the type of offense (run the ball, grind it out, throw it downfield on playactions) that could limit ODU's offensive touches. ODU has an offense that can run with the best of them, but their defense is suspect to say the least ... and JMU's ability to dominate the TOP and keep ODU's offense off the field will be the key to the game.

Not to mention JMU should have the best defense by far of anyone they've faced this year. ODU has been putting up points on everyone though, so I can't really sit here and say JMU's defense will shut them down when no one has, YEt. But JMU's defense is good enough to limit ODU to maybe 20-28 points ...

Longhorn
October 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Villanova has been putting up points on everyone though, so I can't really sit here and say JMU's defense will shut them down...

Villanova? Come on Skins...you want to maintain your creds proof what you post please.

JMUNJ08
October 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I can see why you feel this way but W&M has no team message board so I'm stuck. I need to stay away from posting on other team's boards because it seems everything posted by an opponent is perceived as smack.

If this game was at JMU, I'd give the edge to the Dukes. ODU has an excellent gameday experience so playing in Norfolk helps the Monarchs. Both teams have let a game slip away so this one could easily come down to a brain fart. Good luck to both.

JMU can win with a good game plan but one of those ^^^ would give it to the Monarchs.

I could see this very similar to the games @ W&M. lots of kids from the area with a fair amount of Purple & Gold in the stands. Should have TONS of energy and really a measuring stick to see if ODU can stop the ground and pound game JMU has been wearing everyone down with. Overall, will still be close because the Dukes dont have that 40-50pt offense anymore. 30-24? quite possible....

GaSouthern
October 24th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I like the App vs. JMU rivalry a little more personally :)

Dignan
October 24th, 2011, 06:06 AM

Yeah me too, but unfortunately it doesn't happen quite so often.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I see this as a must win for both teams. Should be a great one.

Go Dukes

Tribe4SF
October 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I like the Dukes in this one. Heinicke will be tested, and the JMU running game should control things. Will be a great atmoshere, but nothing new for JMU.

JmuSkinsfan
October 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Villanova? Come on Skins...you want to maintain your creds proof what you post please.

I MEANT ODU haha

JmuSkinsfan
October 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I like the Dukes in this one. Heinicke will be tested, and the JMU running game should control things. Will be a great atmoshere, but nothing new for JMU.

This. I think ODU is much better than anyone predicted pre-season and this was one of those "sure wins" I had chalked down. I still think JMU's offense will move at-will against ODU's defense. We showed that we could have a balanced attack and throw the ball by our 200+ passing yards against Villanova last game, and our rushing offense is good enough to control the clock. If we can limit ODU to scores on half their posessions we should win pretty easily ... I really think JMU's defense will step up big. I've talked to players and they've had this game circled since the pre-season ...

19Duke97
October 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM

I believe these three schools will be tied at the hip whenever the FBS movement comes. Georgia Southern most likely as well... Just my two cents...

jmufan999
October 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
bump

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM
How is the ODU/W&M rivalry coming along for FB?

JmuSkinsfan
October 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
How is this thread so dead? It isn't like this game is a big deal or anything.

jmufan999
October 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
How is this thread so dead? It isn't like this game is a big deal or anything.

This one is perplexing. I understood when no one cared about the Maine game because they don't have as many fans as ODU. Where are all the ODU fans on this thread?

JmuSkinsfan
October 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
What a joke. I'm disappointed in ODU fans. JMU fans I could care less about ... seems as though most of them are sticking to CAAZone and CS this week. Actually, AGS in general seems dead this week ... strange with 3 huge games ahead

VBR_Productions
October 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
The CAAZone has made the matchup its game of the week.

http://www.caazone.com/2011/10/27/james-madison-at-old-dominion-football-at-long-last/

elon77
October 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Well, I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is my belief. Just like men's basketball, this is the start of ODU dominating JMU in football.

19Duke97
October 27th, 2011, 10:07 PM
What a joke. I'm disappointed in ODU fans. JMU fans I could care less about ... seems as though most of them are sticking to CAAZone and CS this week. Actually, AGS in general seems dead this week ... strange with 3 huge games ahead

Been slammed at work all week for me... I dunno ever since AGS went down for a bit it lost some readership. I have mixed emotions abt CAAZone, I'll just leave it at that. I think JMU squeaks out a tough win, both teams have been known to hit hard, I expect things to get chippy.

JMUNJ08
October 27th, 2011, 11:04 PM
There are only about 5 or so regular JMU posters here on AGS. Most like to stick to the like mindedness of the CAAzone...

ODU? still new so they have to migrate out to find the message boards??? I don't know on that one...

JMUNJ08
October 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
23-20 ODU with the win as JMU misses 2 long FGs after a tough 2nd half on offense. ODU showed they will be able to make a stink come playoff time.

Was anyone else watching???

DJnva
October 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM
23-20 ODU with the win as JMU misses 2 long FGs after a tough 2nd half on offense. ODU showed they will be able to make a stink come playoff time.

Was anyone else watching???

Yep. JMU killed themselves having to burn 2 TOs on offense early in the second half.

JMUNJ08
October 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Yep. JMU killed themselves having to burn 2 TOs on offense early in the second half.

Yeah...we don't hold those things for the times we may need them. We make sure to burn them in the 1st and 3rd quarters because guys don't get on the field when their number is called...

19Duke97
October 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ouch! 5 starters lost in the game due to injury - 3 on the OL. That was the story of the game. If we stay healthy, I think we win the game, but that's part of football. wish the injury bug would stop biting us - the last 3 years have been brutal!

JMUNJ08
October 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Ouch! 5 starters lost in the game due to injury - 3 on the OL. That was the story of the game. If we stay healthy, I think we win the game, but that's part of football. wish the injury bug would stop biting us - the last 3 years have been brutal!

Yep! I don't know what we have to do to have a healthy season! Maybe we should hire the Phoenix Suns training staff... they aren't busy right now...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 30th, 2011, 02:12 PM
This one was a tough one to listen to half a world away. I swear I am a curse, as whenever I travel, the Dukes just go to crap. It has happened the past two years and looks like it will happen again this year. 3 O-linemen and the starting RB is just brutal. I thought at the half we had everything going in our favor, then BAM!

What surprised me the most was how conservative ODU seemed to play in the 2nd half with a wounded JMU team. I thought they would just light up the scoreboard without our offense to keep their offense off the field, but our D just kept grinding away. JMU amazingly had opportunities to win this game despite it all.

ODU is playoff worthy, but they will not get deep. I think I could say the same for just about any CAA team right now. It's a bit sad. I think the other conferences will run away in the playoffs this year. Grrrrr...

Mood: Depressed. And not because ODU won, but because JMU's injuries make me sad for all the seniors on this team. What could've been...

VBR_Productions
October 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Below is the CAAZone's coverage of the game. On a personal note I hope JMU's players turn out alright; you never want to hear of injuries like "broken leg."

http://www.caazone.com/2011/10/30/odu-beats-jmu-in-a-thrilling-oyster-bowl/

Monarch Nation
October 30th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I know injuries are part of the game, but I do hate to hear of serious injuries to anybody. Hope everybody on both sides is able to suit up and play soon.

Question for JMU fans: I noticed on your sidelines a coach in wheelchair. What is the story on this fellow? It's gutsy to be on a sidelines in a wheelchair, since you never know when you could get run over by a 300 pounder that just can't stop.

19Duke97
November 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I know injuries are part of the game, but I do hate to hear of serious injuries to anybody. Hope everybody on both sides is able to suit up and play soon.

Question for JMU fans: I noticed on your sidelines a coach in wheelchair. What is the story on this fellow? It's gutsy to be on a sidelines in a wheelchair, since you never know when you could get run over by a 300 pounder that just can't stop.

That's Clayton Matthews - the coaches son and the DB coach if memory serves me correct. He was in 2 awful car crashes his senior year and that left him as a quadriplegic. Many stores on it in the local paper and some in CAAzone as well..

JMad03
November 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I believe Clayton is Special Teams and WR's coach.

alvinkayak6
November 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
If JMU bolts to the MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA, will they continue this rivalry?

mad_dog97
November 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
That's Clayton Matthews - the coaches son and the DB coach if memory serves me correct. He was in 2 awful car crashes his senior year and that left him as a quadriplegic. Many stores on it in the local paper and some in CAAzone as well..

Clayton was the QB at JMU when he was in the first car accident that left him paralyzed. Had the 2nd car accident on his way to rehab about a year later.

jmufan999
November 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
If JMU bolts to the MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA, will they continue this rivalry?

I would seriously doubt it.

mad_dog97
November 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I would seriously doubt it.

I disagree . . . I think ODU would be coming with JMU if we were to go FBS. After being down there last weekend I think it would be welcome . . .an in-state rivalry that would guarantee good crowds.