PDA

View Full Version : Electrifying news from Missoula

UNI Pike
October 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Don't taz me bro'

Police: Stun guns used on Montana football players (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-montana-playersarrested)

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 23rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
This is too bad. Not much else to say. xbangxxsmhx

bisonpanther
October 23rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Won't find any of our players in a predicament like that.

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
That sounds like bull****. Why would someone hit a cop over a noise complaint?

FCS Go!
October 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM

Because they are a dumb ***.

JSUBison
October 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM

2:40am=Party=Booze=Drunkenness=Jail

UNH Fanboi
October 23rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Will Montana's new coach blacklist the school newspaper if they ask him questions about this?

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of $%$# involving the Missoula police and Griz players. I find it hard to believe it is all on the players. We had an overzealous deputy marshall start spraying mace at some players because one of them would not pull his pants up around his waist (there was no physical confrontation).

FCS Go!
October 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of $%$# involving the Missoula police and Griz players. I find it hard to believe it is all on the players. We had an overzealous deputy marshall start spraying mace at some players because one of them would not pull his pants up around his waist (there was no physical confrontation).

I wouldn't want to look at his junk either.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't want to look at his junk either.

Neither would I but it did not call for using Mace. That is the point.

THE HERD
October 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Isn't Trumaine your stud corner? He might just screw up his shot at the NFL if he isn't careful.

MSUBobcat
October 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Isn't Trumaine your stud corner? He might just screw up his shot at the NFL if he isn't careful.

Trumaine is the Griz stud corner. nfldraftscout.com ranks him as the #10 corner in the country. Poor decision by this talented young man.

If he were to be suspended for the Brawl, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though. :Dxnodx

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Both plead not guilty, trial set for February 7th.

http://www.nbcmontana.com/keci/29571633/detail.html

veinup
October 25th, 2011, 12:18 AM
first, as a montana football fan, i'm tired of seeing this crap.

that said, i don't think we need to be jumping all over these kids just yet. i wouldn't be shocked (lolz) if there was more to this story than initial reports saying that TJ and/or gerald were hitting cops, seriously resisting arrest, or doing anything that meant they needed to be tazed.

also wouldn't be surprised if there's video of this altercation out there somewhere.

Poly's Brutality
October 25th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Agreed, two sides to every story. Can't pass any judgment based on hearsay, etc. Something fishy here, like somebody "hit the officer with an open hand to the chest"? That sounds almost like "his face hit my fist"-type stuff. But if wrong, I'm the first to apologize to the officer. Tough job, keeping the peace.

boonedocks
October 25th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I want to say I hate to hear this. Always sucks when kids do something that could really hurt them for a long time.

However, I also want to give props to the OP for the title of this thread. Tremendous. xlolx

LeadBolt
October 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah, you know those cops, they all look and act alike....

Appaholic
October 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Montana football players get arrested....shocker..xcoffeex..in other news, the sun rose in the east.....

xpopcornx

veinup
October 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
this was kind of interesting... from the missoulian:

"While assault on an officer is generally a felony, the police involved in the case felt it should be filed as a misdemeanor, he said."

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM

"While assault on an officer is generally a felony, the police involved in the case felt it should be filed as a misdemeanor, he said."

I thought that was odd too, I'm curious as to why they would make this decision.

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM

That stuck out to me also when I first read this story. Hitting an officer with an open hand yet only charged with obstructing, resisting and disorderly? Definitely some missing (or mis)information.

appfan2008
October 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Montana football players get arrested....shocker..xcoffeex..in other news, the sun rose in the east.....

xpopcornx

haha....

THE DANIMAL
October 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I strongly suggest anyone interested in this topic go to NBCnews or KECI news Montana and read the newest article. While I am a devoted Griz fan I do believe both players should be suspended for the remaining 3 regular season games and if we are lucky enough to still make the playoffs possibly reinstate them. As for the law enforcement. It is beginning to look very ugly for them. Very possibly all charges dropped and a civil suit files against the police. I'm not a lawyer by no means but it is getting very interesting. The players should be suspended atleast for 2 games for conduct detrimental to the team.

Sorry I am computer illiterate when it comes to copy links to these chat boards.

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Trumaine is the Griz stud corner. nfldraftscout.com ranks him as the #10 corner in the country. Poor decision by this talented young man.

If he were to be suspended for the Brawl, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though. :Dxnodx

Michael Vick, Plaxico, and a host of other players would be able to discuss with Trumaine the negative effects of legal trouble on one's NFL career. xcoffeex

jmufan999
October 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/29585609/detail.html

I have a general distrust for cops. Fair or not, I think they are given too much power and not enough "checks". No, I've never been arrested, detained, or even received a ticket.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I strongly suggest anyone interested in this topic go to NBCnews or KECI news Montana and read the newest article. While I am a devoted Griz fan I do believe both players should be suspended for the remaining 3 regular season games and if we are lucky enough to still make the playoffs possibly reinstate them. As for the law enforcement. It is beginning to look very ugly for them. Very possibly all charges dropped and a civil suit files against the police. I'm not a lawyer by no means but it is getting very interesting. The players should be suspended atleast for 2 games for conduct detrimental to the team.

Sorry I am computer illiterate when it comes to copy links to these chat boards.

Then why the hell would the University do something dumb like suspend them for three games? Not from just the standpoint that there is the appearance that the cops may have made some missteps here but the fact that the universtity is then opening itself up to a possible lawsuit by TJ for screwing his draft status and costing him money when it has a chance that they were somewhat victimized here?

Not saying they definitely were but there is at least a decent chance. If you automatically want to think that this is on Tru & Kemp then you may want to look at a couple of recent cases where the city has had to pay out for similar incidents like this. Peschel & Cooley come to mind immediately.

The cops told them they were being compliant and they had turned off the music and people were leaving. Not sure on the validity of the witnesses but they have made statements that the problem started when Kemp walked outside and closed the door and although not under arrest was physically having his phone removed from him because that also caused some issue with the cops.

Does it seem fishy at all that it is claimed that Kemp struck an officer in the chest but there is no felony charge for this? I've never in my life heard of a guy striking, swinging, or charging an officer that he did not face a charge for this.

Maybe he was charged with this but I just did not see it because all I saw was a misdemeanor mentioned.

When all we have to do is sit back and say "this is what ought to be done" and not have to answer for the realities that may lay ahead financially it makes it pretty easy but I've heard a lot of people knee jerking and stating what ought to be done and that they are emailing O'Day or whoever without really knowing a god damn thing yet.

Feel free to do it and all but we don't know **** yet on this so if a person wants to look like a reactionary asshole then that's up to you.

Not referring specifically to you Danimal on this one just the general talk going around about it from the holy rollers.

Seawolf97
October 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Won't find any of our players in a predicament like that.

Never say never. It can happen to any programxcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Never say never. It can happen to any programxcoffeex

And if he's a Bison Fan it did happen just a couple years back where there was some trouble.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Then why the hell would the University do something dumb like suspend them for three games? Not from just the standpoint that there is the appearance that the cops may have made some missteps here but the fact that the universtity is then opening itself up to a possible lawsuit by TJ for screwing his draft status and costing him money when it has a chance that they were somewhat victimized here?

Completely agree. Even before this testimony from the witnesses came out, I thought it was a smart move for TJ to plead not guilty because the university would be hard pressed to suspend a player accused, but not found guilty, of misdemeanor crimes. After reading UM's Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, they did not violate anything related to its alcohol policies unless the coach has adopted tougher alcohol use policies. Since they are disputing any conduct unbecoming of a UM representative and they have not broken any alcohol policies in the written Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, the University could be sued for any financial damages caused by a suspension.

However, if there is a alcohol policy from the coach that says to stay away from alcohol during the season and Coach Pflugrad feels a one-game suspension is necessary, Nov. 19th would seem like a good time to serve that suspension. :Dxnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
However, if there is a alcohol policy from the coach that says to stay away from alcohol during the season and Coach Pflugrad feels a one-game suspension is necessary, Nov. 19th would seem like a good time to serve that suspension. :Dxnodx
If that is the case then I fully agree and they should be treated like all other internal matters like this. If it is a one game suspension then it should be served when determined and if the players are not disputing that they were in violation then it should be served this weekend.

If it's not a policy then it's not an issue at this point.

I think this stuff is best left to the coach and the AD because it is part of what they get paid for. A few weeks back I was an advocate on Kramer's side for the way he dealt with a problem in his ranks.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM
if the players are not disputing that they were in violation then it should be served this weekend.

I still think Trumaine would learn more of a lesson if he was held out of the Brawl. This could be a valuable teaching point in this young man's life, and they should make the most of it. He will thank the coach later. Bobcat fans will thank the coach now. It's win-win. xthumbsupx

THE DANIMAL
October 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Not saying they definitely were but there is at least a decent chance. If you automatically want to think that this is on Tru & Kemp then you may want to look at a couple of recent cases where the city has had to pay out for similar incidents like this. Peschel & Cooley come to mind immediately.

The cops told them they were being compliant and they had turned off the music and people were leaving. Not sure on the validity of the witnesses but they have made statements that the problem started when Kemp walked outside and closed the door and although not under arrest was physically having his phone removed from him because that also caused some issue with the cops.

Does it seem fishy at all that it is claimed that Kemp struck an officer in the chest but there is no felony charge for this? I've never in my life heard of a guy striking, swinging, or charging an officer that he did not face a charge for this.

Maybe he was charged with this but I just did not see it because all I saw was a misdemeanor mentioned.

When all we have to do is sit back and say "this is what ought to be done" and not have to answer for the realities that may lay ahead financially it makes it pretty easy but I've heard a lot of people knee jerking and stating what ought to be done and that they are emailing O'Day or whoever without really knowing a god damn thing yet.

Feel free to do it and all but we don't know **** yet on this so if a person wants to look like a reactionary asshole then that's up to you.

Not referring specifically to you Danimal on this one just the general talk going around about it from the holy rollers.

Yeah maybe I am jumping to judgement to soon. Actually I probably am. After reading your post I need to bite my tounge. I for one would hate to see them suspended. Especially TJ because from the sounds of it he really was at no fault in this situation. Well said ursus arctos horribilis xthumbsupx

veinup
October 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
my prediction is that they won't see any suspension. if they do, it'll be one game and it'll be served this weekend. i could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM

In my professional legal opinion, obstructing a peace officer is only a misdemeanor.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
In my professional legal opinion, obstructing a peace officer is only a misdemeanor.

Striking them in any way is not however, which is how it was reported. That get's a feony charge every time. I can't wait to see the video that was taken of the incident just to listen to how this went down if not get a look at what took place.

Don't have a clue how this actually went down but there are some odd things about it.

NoCoDanny
October 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Look at the bright side, you're not going 0-11 this year. :(

veinup
October 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Look at the bright side, you're not going 0-11 this year. :(

and this being the university of montana, we never will.xnottalkingx

veinup
October 28th, 2011, 12:16 AM
starting to look more and more like excessive force used by the police. from the missoulian:

Residents reached by the Missoulian and other local media gave conflicting reports about who started the fight. A neighbor who spoke with the Missoulian but declined to give her name because of fear of retribution said she thought "the police were being aggressive and the players weren't aggressive."

The witness said when she got to her balcony overlooking the scene, she saw one player on the ground and another player talking on a cellphone. The person on the cellphone was shoved against a patrol car by several officers before being handcuffed and put inside, she said. Then officers got the second person off the ground and placed him in a patrol car. She did not see anyone push officers.

But another neighbor, Alyse Backus, recalled a different set of events. She saw Kemp struggling with an officer, who was trying to get him on the ground.

"I didn't know if he'd been tased or not then," Backus said. "He kept saying Trumaine's name over and over. I thought something really bad had happened. There were girls screaming. And then Trumaine comes out of nowhere. ... They got him down on the ground and then they tased him."

so a group of cops gets a guy down on the ground and THEN tases him? WTF?