PDA

View Full Version : APP stadium additions

tarmac
October 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
No time line yet. New upper deck on the right side, end zone seating and the buildings behind and to the right of the the end zone seating.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/298495_10150385923188809_780968808_8213237_8681099 74_n.jpg

GaSouthern
October 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Nice picture! You should spend the extra time to crop it though.

tarmac
October 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I think some one took it with a cell phone of a sign on Owens Field House. Hopefully they will put out a better pic soon.

JMad03
October 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
That looks awfully lopsided to me. ;)

SoCon48
October 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
No time line yet. New upper deck on the right side, end zone seating and the buildings behind and to the right of the the end zone seating.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/298495_10150385923188809_780968808_8213237_8681099 74_n.jpg

Where's the money going to come from? A major part of the last expansion came from student activity fees.

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Where's the money going to come from? A major part of the last expansion came from student activity fees.

We just announced a new capital campaign. Includes $50 million for athletics:
http://campaign.appstate.edu/sites/default/files/images/campaign-piechart-gold.png
http://campaign.appstate.edu/

Also, I believe the new buildings where the fieldhouse is are dorms and would allow us to use general fund money (or that's my understanding... could be wrong).

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
disgusting. What else would you expect from App

SideLine Shooter
October 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
My question is where are these people going to park? Are they planning on running shuttles from Lenoir and Winston-Salem?

SideLine Shooter
October 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
disgusting. What else would you expect from App

Now that is what I would expect from you. Real Classy.
At least we don't have to rent a stadium.
Are you sure you didn't attend Statesboro College?

Apphole
October 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
FBS

App-a-latch-un
October 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
What the entire banner looked like.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
For God's sake, move the damn track!

Other than that, I think it looks great. Any idea what capacity would be?

Dignan
October 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
For God's sake, move the damn track!

Other than that, I think it looks great. Any idea what capacity would be?

Now that I think about it, don't you guys have temporary bleachers just behind the open endzone now? That doesn't seem to be reflected in the picture.

Mntneer
October 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I think it's odd that this picture just shows up plastered all over Owens. Is this a real design that someone has proposed? What is that building? Where's the money coming from? Timeline? The rendering looks pretty amateurish IMO. Other than that I think it's awesome but I'm not sure how seriously anyone should be taking it....

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The temporary seats are in the end zone by the field house. They were probably just cropped out and replaced with permanent seats for the rendition. I like the idea of a new video board above that North end zone too.

Cocky
October 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Plans and pictures help recruiting. Every school should be showing drawings of their dreams and telling recruits this is the plan.

HailSzczur
October 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
How exactly does a squared off track like that work? Call me naive but wouldn't you either take it out or keep it oval? Unless those are temporary bleachers at the top of the page that track is useless.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Now that I think about it, don't you guys have temporary bleachers just behind the open endzone now? That doesn't seem to be reflected in the picture.

key word is temporary. they were there with the stated goal to test the idea of stands in the north endzone with permanent seating in my down the road.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
How exactly does a squared off track like that work? Call me naive but wouldn't you either take it out or keep it oval? Unless those are temporary bleachers at the top of the page that track is useless.

That's how Ohio Stadium was until 2000 or so. Very recently.

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mike-smith-ohio-state-buckeyes-ohio-stadium.jpg

We would be moving the track somewhere else off-campus.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
We would be moving the track somewhere else off-campus.

Have you heard anything about plans to move the track off-campus? I was looking at information about the campaign on the Appalachian website and did not see any specific plans. I was considering dropping an e-mail to one of the directors of the campaign to ask if that has even been discussed.

boonegoon
October 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Have you heard anything about plans to move the track off-campus? I was looking at information about the campaign on the Appalachian website and did not see any specific plans. I was considering dropping an e-mail to one of the directors of the campaign to ask if that has even been discussed.

You know, looking at the picture closely do you think it's possible they would overhang/cantilever the stands over the track? Allowing access and track events to happen under the stands?

HailSzczur
October 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM

It's ashame it doesn't look like you have room for what they have at Delaware. I think its always preferable to have an athletic complex and they have one of the better set ups I've seen.
http://www.art-sci.udel.edu/Portals/0/UniversitysMarchingBandSelectedforInauguralParade. jpg

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
II think its always preferable to have an athletic complex and they have one of the better set ups I've seen.

We have a 120,000 square foot athletics complex.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204989211
http://www.playattherock.com/asu-athletics-complex.php

Gringer1
October 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I can't find a very good picture of it, but Nevada has their track running under their endzone stands. You can sort of see it in this one:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics24/640/AS/ASDEQADCBONNMLF.20080717001751.jpg

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
We have a 120,000 square foot athletics complex.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204989211
http://www.playattherock.com/asu-athletics-complex.php

We have a gorgeous athletics complex and I would take our overall facilities over most anyone in the FCS but their set-up with the track next to the stadium is much better than having it around the field like it is at KBS.

TheBisonator
October 24th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I can't find a very good picture of it, but Nevada has their track running under their endzone stands. You can sort of see it in this one:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics24/640/AS/ASDEQADCBONNMLF.20080717001751.jpg

If there are such big stands built over a track like that, can the track even be used anymore?? I suppose you could carve out a tunnel in the path of the track underneath the stands, and whenever the track spectators see the runners coming out the other side, they may be in for some surprises as to who's in the lead...

Gringer1
October 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
There is a tunnel and I think it looks very strange. There's just something about the track runners disappearing every lap that's not right.

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM
but their set-up with the track next to the stadium is much better than having it around the field like it is at KBS.

That's just not an option for us. All of the flat land around campus is used.

http://yfrog.com/9ft65j:tw1

Track complex will be built off campus. Maybe state farm. Maybe old Watauga High School. I know track is one of our best programs... so, I would feel bad moving them off campus... but, they also don't need a 30,000+ facility.

Mntneer
October 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
It's ashame it doesn't look like you have room for what they have at Delaware. I think its always preferable to have an athletic complex and they have one of the better set ups I've seen.
http://www.art-sci.udel.edu/Portals/0/UniversitysMarchingBandSelectedforInauguralParade. jpg

We're definitely out of flat land on campus. If it is ever moved I think off campus is our only option.

asumike83
October 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, we are absolutely out of flat land around the stadium. My post was pretty unclear, but I do not think that is an option for ASU. I would, however, like to see the track moved so that our 2 most successful teams can each have their own facility. State Farm would be perfect for the track facility but who knows. May be a long shot but I thought there was some university-owned land up by the baseball stadium? If there is enough room, that would be excellent although I imagine it would have been considered by now if it was.

AppMan
October 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
The picture is simply a concept. Quite frankly I wish they had taken the time to come up with a actual proposal that people could get excited about. Spoke to John Weaver over the summer and he says they are actively looking for the land to build a new track complex. Still can't figure out why ASU didn't bargin for the old Watauga HS site when they sold Watauga County the land for the new school. The sports complex at Watauga High had been updated about 15 years ago. A refurbished football stadium and track with locker rooms and concession stands, soccer stadium, baseball & softball fields, tennis courts, 2 gyms, and a lot of parking. ASU could have put their entire athletic complex out there. Administrative & coaches offices, weight room, practice fields and everything else. Most all athletes live off campus these days and it would be much easier for them to go there for practice and conditioning than finding a spot in the Stadium Lot. The only thing needed for the team at KBS would have been a game day locker room. The pressbox, suites, club level seats, extra seating (including both endzones) and additional concession & bathroom facilities would have been far easier to do without needing to build that massive athletic building.

tarmac
October 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Why not put it where the old hilltop soccer stadium was.

AppMan
October 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM
There isn't nearly enough room for a track, but there is plenty of room for a field hockey field!

ASUMountaineer
October 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The picture is simply a concept. Quite frankly I wish they had taken the time to come up with a actual proposal that people could get excited about. Spoke to John Weaver over the summer and he says they are actively looking for the land to build a new track complex. Still can't figure out why ASU didn't bargin for the old Watauga HS site when they sold Watauga County the land for the new school. The sports complex at Watauga High had been updated about 15 years ago. A refurbished football stadium and track with locker rooms and concession stands, soccer stadium, baseball & softball fields, tennis courts, 2 gyms, and a lot of parking. ASU could have put their entire athletic complex out there. Administrative & coaches offices, weight room, practice fields and everything else. Most all athletes live off campus these days and it would be much easier for them to go there for practice and conditioning than finding a spot in the Stadium Lot. The only thing needed for the team at KBS would have been a game day locker room. The pressbox, suites, club level seats, extra seating (including both endzones) and additional concession & bathroom facilities would have been far easier to do without needing to build that massive athletic building.

The newest proposal to the Town of Boone to purchase the old WHS property includes donating part of the land to ASU. Your ideal situation may not be far-fetched.

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Even if we find a new home for the track(I also think the old high school complex is perfect). We still have the issue of what to do with the current track.

We can't dig down and place the field at a new lower level due to the bedrock and underwater river beneath it.

Apphole
October 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Even if we find a new home for the track(I also think the old high school complex is perfect). We still have the issue of what to do with the current track.

We can't dig down and place the field at a new lower level due to the bedrock and underwater river beneath it.

We should tear up the surface and any concrete that may be below it, fill it in with soil, plant grass and put shrubs in line right on the wall to help fill in the space. That would look better than a useless, pink semi-circle around the field.

appfan2008
October 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
though it may be a rendering it is still exciting regardless and I cant wait for further expansion...!

slycat
October 26th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Texas St has the same issue with lowering the field after removing the track. At this point the track was removed which allows the new bowled in endzone to be much closer to the field. Along the sides is just extra space. It ssomething App could do as an alternative as well.

proasu89
October 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Texas St has the same issue with lowering the field after removing the track. At this point the track was removed which allows the new bowled in endzone to be much closer to the field. Along the sides is just extra space. It ssomething App could do as an alternative as well.

That's what I see happening. Leave the extra space on the sidelines (sans the track) and bring both endzones close to the field.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM
That's what I see happening. Leave the extra space on the sidelines (sans the track) and bring both endzones close to the field.

Yes, that would look great! Remove the track, put the new end zone stands close to the field and do some nice landscaping behind the benches where the track is currently located.

Waco Kid
October 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I don't think the field will ever be lowered, but that doesn't mean we can't build end zone seats right on top of the field. There are plenty of stadiums with more distance between the stands and field than what we have at KBS. I would like it closer but I don't think it is cost effective at ASU plus we just put down a new field so you can forget about digging it up within the next 10 years.

slycat
October 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Heres what Texas States looks like with the track "removed".

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/sports/2010/12/1/FB_1201102220.aspx?tab=northsidecomplex(opening201 2)

JMU_71
October 26th, 2011, 12:24 PM
We're definitely out of flat land on campus. If it is ever moved I think off campus is our only option.

Just flatten Howard's Knob and put the track up there.

HighCountry
October 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Standing Room/Mosh Pit student section would be greatxtroublex

CopperCat
October 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
FBS

Only if that track is removed from the stadium.

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Only if that track is removed from the stadium.

I would hope so, but not necessarily. Boise State, Kansas, Nevada and several other FBS programs still have a track. Ohio State had a track around their field until about 2000 as well. Not ideal and I sure as hell hope they remove it but it would not prevent a potential move up.

boonedocks
October 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yes, that would look great! Remove the track, put the new end zone stands close to the field and do some nice landscaping behind the benches where the track is currently located.

I agree. The stands at KBS are closer than some other stadiums that have a track. There is no extra room besides the track. If they bring the endzones in and just remove the track, it would look fine.

CopperCat
October 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
ASU has one of the iconic FCS stadiums, and building a seperate track facility would only make it that much better. Obviously the limiting factor would be finding space for that somewhere, but if ASU wants to move up to FBS that would only help its case as far as facilities/venues go.