PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly: Eagles!

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Just a tip-of-the-hat to the EWU Eagles for some amazing resilience.

The reigning national champs started the year 0-4, with losses to FBS Washington, @South Dakota, @Montana and Montana State. Things were grim in Cheney, and the fanbase was not amused.

Since then - the Eagles have rolled back to .500, culminating with tonight's plain amazing OT win at Sacramento State. EVERY game is a playoff game since that 0-4 start, and EWU is 4-2 in conference play. They didn't fold, they didn't panic, they just simply took care of business. If they win out (PSU, @Cal Poly, @Idaho State), they can become playoff eligible. xsalutex

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
Is the turn around really THAT shocking? Their first 4 games were extremely difficult.

There's a reason why people kept showing them respect in the polls. Despite the losses EWU was/is very talented.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM

The reigning national champs started the year 0-4, with losses to FBS Washington, @South Dakota, @Montana and Montana State. Things were grim in Cheney, and the fanbase was not amused.

Since then - the Eagles have rolled back to .500, culminating with tonight's plain amazing OT win at Sacramento State. EVERY game is a playoff game since that 0-4 start, and EWU is 4-2 in conference play. They didn't fold, they didn't panic, they just simply took care of business. If they win out (PSU, @Cal Poly, @Idaho State), they can become playoff eligible. xsalutex

And as I said when they were 0-4 if they were to finish on a 7 game win streak it would be extremely likely they are in. That was an amazing game tonight.

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Agree with both of you - they're talented, and they had arguably the toughest four-team schedule in FCS. Still, going from the NC to 0-4 had to be tough, and bouncing back and taking care of business is commendable!

If the Eagles get to the post-season again... well, I certainly don't want to play them!

Ginsbach
October 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM

That's the tough one, hah.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
Cal Poly is going to be the game to watch.

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
That's the tough one, hah.

I agree (on the @Idaho State game); but I would put money on EWU, based on how the Griz were able to shut them down at home. I would actually worry more about the Mustangs - on the road, CP is manageably dangerous, but at home,they can beat just about anyone - just ask how the Jackrabbits felt after visiting Cal Poly.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
A lot of respect for EWU on them not folding the tent and fighting on. It's what football is supposed to teach people. It will be very interesting to see how they fare down the stretch.

Ginsbach
October 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
I agree (on the @Idaho State game); but I would put money on EWU, based on how the Griz were able to shut them down at home. I would actually worry more about the Mustangs - on the road, CP is manageably dangerous, but at home,they can beat just about anyone - just ask how the Jackrabbits felt after visiting Cal Poly.

I think all three have a chance to trip them up, with the order going Cal Poly, Idaho State, and then Portland State.

I agree completely with you - the Mustangs play tough at Spanos Stadium and I can see them beating EWU.

I'd love to see the Bengals get one more win this year, but I can't see it happening in Bozeman or Sacramento. If EWU gets past Cal Poly and Portland State, it would be nice to see some buzz around Poky to generate some interest in the game - letting people know that ISU has a chance to make a measurable difference on the conference. Maybe get some excitement in Holt Arena. Probably not, but, yet again, a man can dream.

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
I have felt that Chattanooga and EWU are somewhat kindred this season...both were 2-4 after 6 games (tough schedules with some oh so close defeats) and had their backs against the wall. Both programs, going into this week, were the only two teams with strong enough schedule to be in the top 30 of the GPI with losing records. ...and most people would say that they were better than their records indicate. Both have built momentum and still have a good shot at the playoffs if they win out.

Squealofthepig
October 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM
I have felt that Chattanooga and EWU are somewhat kindred this season...both were 2-4 after 6 games (tough schedules with some oh so close defeats) and had their backs against the wall. Both programs, going into this week, were the only two teams with strong enough schedule to be in the top 30 of the GPI with losing records. ...and most people would say that they were better than their records indicate. Both have built momentum and still have a good shot at the playoffs if they win out.

I would agree with this - the Mocs have done an amazing job especially given a few tough losses. Either team would be dangerous if they get to the playoffs, as they would be ridiculously talented teams with nothing to lose.

And I would note both EWU and UTC have conference opponents who have beaten them that they could get rematches with in the playoffs - and it is always harder to beat a team the second time around. MSU and UM would have trouble with a nothing-to-lose EWU; as would App against UTC, even at the Rock.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2011, 11:50 PM

I would agree. However, the Mocs road (Furman, Samford, and Wofford) might be tougher to navigate to the playoffs.

Squealofthepig
October 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
I would agree. However, the Mocs road (Furman, Samford, and Wofford) might be tougher to navigate to the playoffs.

Agree there too, especially given Furman's results today. If I were betting money, I'd bet more on EWU to return to the playoffs than UTC; but mostly I would love to see a Mocs/Eagles in a game. I mean, really: haven't both teams earned that? It would be one helluva fun game to watch!

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM

Just glad two of those are at home.

cpalum
October 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM

When the season started the EWU game looked huge to me and it looks like it will be. Cal Poly's season has looked a lot like EWU's; they played on the road at San Diego State, Montana and NIU, then at home against SDSU. They came out of that stretch at 1-3. They have won every game since and now sit at 4-3. Like the Eagles they will need to win out to have a chance at the playoffs.

dudeitsaid
October 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
It will be tough with the injuries that EWU has experienced this season.

With cornerback T.J. Lee (ankle) and strong safety Matt Johnson (shoulder) missing the game because of injuries, the Eagles have now had 11 starters miss action because of injuries, including seven on offense and four on defense. A total of seven have been lost for the season, including Johnson.
They are basically playing 1/2 of the second string. All Americans Brandon Kaufman, Matt Johnson, and Renard Williams were all out for the Sac State game (those 3 of the 4 award Buchanon or Payton award finalists on the team), and they still pulled out the win. I just hope the 4 starters that aren't out for the season can heal up quickly, but health can play a huge factor in how far the Eagles go this season. Yet, they never cease to suprise on what they accomplish.