PDA

View Full Version : TSN Ranks The QBs

Josh
May 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Here are the ratings:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

eagle1
May 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM
It is nice to see Erik Meyer at the top of the list. He is an awesome leader and tough competitor. He should be the preseason favorite. If you don't know much about him, I am sure several Southern Illinois fans can tell you about him and Eric Kimble. I also think MSU's Travis Lulay is pretty darn good as well. The Big Sky year in and year out has some of the best QB's in all of DI-AA. Go Eagles!!!

Rabbitlivinginverm
May 18th, 2005, 04:59 PM
One that should be included in the "Top First Year Starters" is Andy Kardoes (6'3" 210) of South Dakota State. Last year, we saw what a tremendous running threat he is and this year we will see him as a complete QB. This young man is very talented.

ncbears
May 18th, 2005, 05:06 PM
UNC's qb is not on any list and for good reason. He's no good.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM
The SLC is an excellent quarterback conference. Sports Network obviously agrees. I think we've seen some excellent quarterbacks over the last few years. Vic King (McNeese), now in the NFL. Josh McCown (Sam), also in the NFL. Dustin Long was the #2 QB in the nation last year, out of Sam. Hankins was getting votes left and right for the Payton Award as a sophomore. I figure he is due big time.

--------
Below we take a look at the top 15 returning quarterbacks in I-AA for 2005, as selected by The Sports Network based on a variety of factors. We also look at first-year starters, transfers, and potential emerging stars that could make their names common to I-AA fans this season.

Top Quarterbacks in I-AA:

6. Martin Hankins, Southeastern Louisiana (Jr., 6-2, 205) - Some quarterbacks have the tools but don’t necessarily get a chance to post huge numbers. With Martin Hankins, the numbers speak for themselves and leave no doubt regarding the Southeastern Louisiana star’s big-time ability. Hankins threw 540 passes in 2004, completing 357 of them (66 percent) for 4,240 yards with 35 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Hankins’ season highlight came with a 439-yard, five- touchdown performance in a resounding 51-17 win at McNeese State. Hankins excelled in Hal Mumme’s run and shoot offense, a philosophy that figures to remain with new head coach Dennis Roland. Despite the huge numbers, many of Hankins’ best games came against non-Division I and non-scholarship I-AA competition, and he had 18 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in games against scholarship I-AA teams. With a beefed up schedule and entrance into the Southland Conference this season, the junior from Hattiesburg, Mississippi gets a chance to prove he can stay consistent against quality foes all season.

20. Barrick Nealy, Texas State (Sr., 6-5, 230) - Nealy ran (409 yards) almost as much as he passed (1202 yards), but had an impressive 59 percent completion ratio for the improving Bobcats.

Five Ready for a Breakthrough: Five quarterbacks who started only parts of 2004 that showed the potential to make a major name for themselves in 2005.

4. Zeke Dixon, Stephen F. Austin (Sr., 6-2, 215) - Dixon played sparingly in relief behind Michael Williams in 2004, but he has starting experience. The senior started the last four games as a freshman in 2002 and the first five games of 2003 before suffering a wrist injury. He threw for 10 touchdowns in 2002 and 1,257 yards and seven scores in 2003.

Top First-Year Starters: While four of this year’s top five first-year starters replace stars from a season ago, they all possess the ability to avoid a drop-off behind center.

1. Noah Allen, Sam Houston State (Jr., 6-3, 220) - The Oklahoma transfer sat behind Dustin Long last year, but has two years to add his name to the long line of star quarterbacks in Huntsville. However, he won’t have the luxury of the same spectacular cast of receivers Long threw to in 2004.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Noah Allen. I like how they placed him as the #1 breakout quarterback this year. I'd expect some big things from him at Sam. A solid year this year, a sensational year the following as a senior.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Walker was a gamer, and is being pushed by another highly rated Redshirt recruit.
2. Steve Walker, North Dakota State (So., 6-1, 200) - Walker took over the starting spot for the last three games and played superb in leading NDSU to wins against Northwestern St., UC Davis and Weber State. Walker completed 78 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and zero interceptions while playing parts of 10 games.

Josh
May 18th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Matt did a great job once again. No major complaints. There are little things you can argue but it is like that with any rating. I think it is solid and he put some spice into his work with this. Kudos to the ratings. This is a great start and I look forward to the RBs and FBs next week. :)

AggiePride
May 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM
:cool:

CatFan22
May 18th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Good to see Lulay near the top. I look for him and Meyer to have outstanding seasons. Good showing for the BSC.

Ronbo
May 18th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Look for Cole Bergquist RSFR out of SoCal to take the Griz to another Big Sky Title. Jason Washington (Bowling Green) will be a good backup.

Cole will have a talented corps of receivers and a veteran Offensive line.

Probable starting Receivers for the Griz.

Sr Jon Talmage, 4th year starter, 6'4" 210
Jr Eric Allen, transfer from Okie State, 6'4" 205
RsFr Matt Troxel, 2002 and 2003 Idaho Offensive POY
RsFr Rob Shulte, 2003 Montana Offensive POY

Troxel and Shulte are talented kick returners too.

At TE we have 3 year letterman JaTon Simpson 6'5" 250 lbs. Great hands and speed like a WR. Looks cut like Terrell Owens with his pads off. Many thought he should have been the starter the last couple years. Every time he got in he'd make a good play.

VictorG
May 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
At TE we have 3 year letterman JaTon Simpson 6'5" 250 lbs. Great hands and speed like a WR. Looks cut like Terrell Owens with his pads off. Many thought he should have been the starter the last couple years. Every time he got in he'd make a good play.

I don't think he has receiver speed but he does get down the field better than Willie Waldon did. I'm looking forward to watching him full time this year.

Ronbo
May 18th, 2005, 08:14 PM
JaTon was a sprinter for his SoCal (Bellflower) HS Track Team when he weighed 220 lbs. Granted he's probably slower at 250 lbs but how many TE's were sprinters in HS? He has an 18.4 yard per catch average with the Griz, now that means he can get down field and has the speed to run after the catch. :)

Tribe4SF
May 18th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Looks like the word is out on Jake Phillips and Mike Potts at W&M. The receiving corps is a big plus for these guys (and a veteran off. line). All the backs catch the ball well.

WRs

Josh Lustig, Sr.- Go-to-guy prior to injury at UNH last year. Captain.
Joe Nicholas, So.- Broke Rich Musinski's fr. record with 66 catches.
Joe Marianacci, rFr.- PA superstar who excelled in spring game.
Elliott Mack, rFr.- N.J. speedster with great leaping ability and hands.
John Taylor, Jr.- 4th receiver last year who actually drops a notch this year.
Corey Davis, Jr.- In rotation last year but will have trouble getting time.

TEs

Adam Bratton, Sr. 6'4" 255
Matt Trinkle, Jr. 6'5" 250

Both have excellent hands and run well with the ball.

catbob
May 18th, 2005, 11:02 PM
1. Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington (Sr., 6-2, 205)

3. Travis Lulay, Montana State (Sr., 6-2, 205)

12. Jason Murrietta, Northern Arizona (Jr., 6-1, 215)

Big Sky power. ;)

kmax
May 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM
1. Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington (Sr., 6-2, 205)

3. Travis Lulay, Montana State (Sr., 6-2, 205)

12. Jason Murrietta, Northern Arizona (Jr., 6-1, 215)

Big Sky power. ;)
You beat me to it catbob, that's what I was thinking when I read the title also.

Though the Sky's many good QB's never have been able to move on to the next level.

Retro
May 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Vick King, now with the Jets is a RB! :spank:

SiouxFallsJack
May 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
UNC's qb is not on any list and for good reason. He's no good.

Gotta love an honest opinion.

kats89
May 19th, 2005, 08:21 AM
TT,

Look for Allen to open some eyes this coming year. Unfortunately he will a couple of receivers short of putting up some mind boggling numbers. His Senior year next year could be a record breaking year for him. He has all the tools.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/whitten_allen.jpg

Pard94
May 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Look out for junior Lafayette QB Brad Mauer. 1300 yards passing with an additional 840 rushing. The kid can run!

blukeys
May 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Look out for junior Lafayette QB Brad Mauer. 1300 yards passing with an additional 840 rushing. The kid can run!

Easily the most impressive offensive Lafayette player last year. He is a very gutsy and heady ball player. He appeared to me to be the fastest player in the Lafayette backfield.

colgate13
May 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Between Mauer and Borda (Lehigh), it should be an interesting race to the title. Both are mobile QBs that can throw. If anything, Mauer is the heir apparent to Borda...

nevadagriz
May 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Congrats to Meyer and Lulay Lulay, The SKY has a very rich tradition of Qb's. Will be a battle this year for the confrence crown!

GO GRIZ

Grizo406
May 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Good to see Lulay near the top. Good showing for the BSC.

I don't usually agree with Cat fans, but I have to this time. I hope Travis has a great senior season, because he most certainly deserves it...always played with heart, never quit, and beat the Griz 2 out of the last 3 years. :mad:

I won't miss him when he's gone. ;)

blackfordpu
May 19th, 2005, 10:12 PM
TT,

Look for Allen to open some eyes this coming year. Unfortunately he will a couple of receivers short of putting up some mind boggling numbers. His Senior year next year could be a record breaking year for him. He has all the tools.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/whitten_allen.jpg

The recievers may be new but that does not mean that they are no good, just unproven. I would not be suprised to see Sam go straight to the air in their first few games just to show that we can still toss the ball around. These guys have seen what it is like to be successful and will want to keep that tradition up.

Allen will open eyes this season both running and throwing. How nice would it be to see some option football at Sam Houston? :) ;)

igo4uni
May 20th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Keep an eye on #13 from that list. Eric Sanders from UNI will be starting his first full season this coming fall. He did a great job last year filling in for the injured Tom Petrie, and I look for him to improve this year, his sophomore season.

peace

igo4uni

kats89
May 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Blackfordpu,
I went to the spring game and from what I saw, our receivers are weak. The only area as far as receiving that will very good is the TE position. We are three deep at that position.

Whitten will throw early and often don't worry about that. Someone is going to have to step up.

exbearkat
May 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
Blackfordpu,
I went to the spring game and from what I saw, our receivers are weak. The only area as far as receiving that will very good is the TE position. We are three deep at that position.

Whitten will throw early and often don't worry about that. Someone is going to have to step up.I, for one, am expecting Christian to be one of the Freshmen that steps up. This kid has all the tools to get it done.

blackfordpu
May 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
I, for one, am expecting Christian to be one of the Freshmen that steps up. This kid has all the tools to get it done.

I have faith in the Kats and their coaches. We will get it done one way or another. :)

mikebigg
May 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
I think Bruce will once again put up "huge" numbers (on the field and off...lol). Although our running game emerged late last season (Coach Spears promises to be more balanced this year with his playcalling), I expect Bruce to benefit from the presence of a running game. Our feature back, Ab Kuaan catches the ball well and so does "scatbacks" Landry Carter and Keatwon Gray..a real speed guy.

Our receiving corp gets a boost with the definite return of Mose Harris (sat out '04 with injury) and the possible return of Tim Abney (sat out 04 and spring due to severe groin injury) to go along with last year's freshman receiver star Clyde Edwards who lead the team in receptions plus Henry Tolbert who last year made a successful switch from rb to slot receiver. Sophomore TE Matt Fehenny (sp) looked impressive enuff to move Sr. TE Matt Duhe to DE (where he had an awesome spring and is pushing to be a starter).

Hopefully Bruce will work on his conditioning...if not he better remember that last year's starter (true freshman) Brandon Landers and 1st year sophomore Larry Kerlegan (huge 2004 signee from Larmarque High in Houston) are waiting in the event he falters. Either way, I look for one of both of those guys to get serious playing time and not just mop up duty.