PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 9.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was 4-1 this past week, pushing my overall record to 37-5. Furman's effort against Wofford showed that they are not to be counted out of this race. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Georgia Southern (1 of 4) - Dominated Presbyterian
2) Wofford (3 of 4) - Was ambushed in Greenville
3) Appalachian State (2 of 4) - Sends Homecoming crowd home happy.
4) Furman (3 of 4) - Leads off the back stretch with a shocker of the week.
5) Samford (4 of 4) - Loss to ASU now puts them in a win or else situation.
6) The Citadel (4 of 4) - Gives Western Carolina another reason to fire Dennis Wagner.
7) Chattanooga (3 of 3) - Cardiac Mocs stave off elimination this week.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Phoenix's dreams of returning to the playoffs go down in flames.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - If I was a Western man, I'd say that Dennis Wagner has to go and their AD (a Mike Hamilton clone, possibly?) too.

Predictions
VMI @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take care of business and the Silver Shako.
Western Carolina @ Samford - Bulldogs win this one to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Elon @ Wofford - Terriers return to their winning ways against the Phoenix.
Furman @ Chattanooga - New look Mocs win against a resurgent Paladins in a close one.
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State (Game of the week) - ASU gets revenge for last year's loss in Statesboro.

GSU Eagle
October 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Here is how I would have it:
1. Georgia Southern (7-0 and riding high/ Played subs the entire 2nd half today vs. Presbyterian)
2. Wofford (The gap between Wofford and Appalachian is not much after Wofford's upset loss today)
3. Appalachian (Seem to have things rolling in Boone now)
4. Furman (Huge win today vs. Wofford after getting hammered in Statesboro last week)
5. Chattanooga (Win today sets up a playoff elimination game next week vs. Furman)
6. Samford (Can't seem to beat one of top teams)
7. Citadel (This team is getting better and has come close to more wins this year)
8. Elon (This team is just not very good this year)
9. Western Carolina (Changes have to be coming here)

2 huge games next week: Furman at Chattanooga and GSU at Appalachian.

Predictions:
Citadel over VMI
Samford over WCU
Wofford over Elon
Furman over Chattanooga
GSU over Appalachian (I admit-- this is a homer pick) This game could go either way

catamount man
October 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
my rankings:

1-GSU
2-App State (sorry Wofford)
3-Wofford
4-Chatty
5-Samford
6-Furman
7-Elon
8-Citadel
9-WCU (life as a CAT fan royally sucks)

next week:
Samford over WCU (Wagner will still say "we're building a program") xnonono2x
Furman over UTC (I'll ride furple's bandwagon for 1 week)
Citadel over VMI
Wofford over Elon
GSU over ASU (less than 5 points)

gomocs82
October 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
1-GSU
1-ASU
3-Wofford
4-UTC
5-Samford
6-Furman
7-Citadel
8-Elon
9-WCU

next week:
SU over WCU
UTC over FU
Citadel over VMI
Wofford over Elon
ASU over GSU

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
1. GSU- No conference losses blah blah blah. I'm incapable of saying nice things about the stinky eaglets this close to BS. F-u-c-k Geogia Southen
2. App State- Not even that much of a homer pick. Sorry Woffy, this isn't the same team you beat. A very one sided win against a decent conference foe on a hot streak.
3. Wofford- They proved they were mortal against Furple.
4. Chatty- Easily #1/2 on on one day and #6/7 on another. Furple and Chatty might be playing for a playoff spot.
5. Furman- Another hot and cold team with a win over Woffod and a loss to Samford.
6. Citadel- If they played the first two quarters of every game like they do the last they'd be 3-2.
7. Samford- Not a bad team. With their youth they may do some damage next year. 5-7 was the toughest part of this list.
8. Elon- Continues to struggle.
9. Western Carolina- Why don't you just drop your football program?

GATA_Eagles
October 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2/3. Wofford
3/2. Appalachian State
4. Chattanooga
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Elon
8. The Citadel
9. Western Carolina

Predictions:
VMI @ The Citadel
Western Carolina @ Samford
Elon @ Wofford
Furman @ Chattanooga
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State - Will be a close game either way. Hope my first visit to Boone is a pleasant one.

Smitty
October 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM

If we dropped the football program what would the band do?

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
1) GSU
2) Wofford (played our worst game of the year but I think our best game is better than most in the country)
3) App (refound offense, and still scares me, but I have Wofford ahead because of a head to head matchup)
4)Furman (if they played as inspired as they did today from here on out, they will make the playoffs)
5) Chatty
6) Sammy
7)Elon
8)Citadel
9) Western

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM

I rarely defend a rival, but I doubt the chancellor at WCU is a Paul Stanton type.

catamount man
October 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
The previous chancellor was but he lacked the nads to pull such a move but I recall him telling several people that he "admired" Dr.Stanton's decision. The new chancellor is a very football friendly administrator and I can assure you he is displeased at WCU's situation. The man has degrees from Furman and Michigan so he has been around winning programs and knows exactly what it takes to have strong programs and the advantages that it brings to the university as a whole.

I have a feeling major changes are on the way in Cullowhee and it's about time.

FurmanWins!!
October 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Any FU, ASU, or SoCon fans interested in voting for the (Furman vs. Appalachian State) game on November 5 as the AGS FCS game of the week for that weekend, check the sticky thread at the top of the Forum :)
Cheers!

FurmanWins!!
October 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Jeff Sagarin NCAA football ratings by conference:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm

SoCon is highest rated FCS league, even rated above the Sun Belt and only 1 point behind the WAC and MAC conferences, pretty impressive season so far for SoCon football teams!

asumike83
October 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Furman
5) Chattanooga
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

VMI @ The Citadel
Western Carolina @ Samford
Elon @ Wofford
Furman @ Chattanooga
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State

OL FU
October 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
GSU
WC
ASU
Chatt
Furman
Samford
Citadel
Elon
WCU

Had to swallow hard putting us ahead of Samford but I guess this is the point in the season where it gets difficult.

VMI @ Citadel
WCU @ Samford
Elon @ WC
Furman @ Chatt
GSU @ ASU

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
GSU
WC
ASU
Chatt
Furman
Samford
Citadel
Elon
WCU

Had to swallow hard putting us ahead of Samford but I guess this is the point in the season where it gets difficult.

VMI @ Citadel
WCU @ Samford
Elon @ WC
Furman @ Chatt
GSU @ ASU

That Samford game is going to be the one we look back on and think "man, we shoulda won that one." That game is not quite up there with 2004 James Madison in the "how the heck did we lose that game" category...but it's up there.

OL FU
October 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM
That Samford game is going to be the one we look back on and think "man, we shoulda won that one." That game is not quite up there with 2004 James Madison in the "how the heck did we lose that game" category...but it's up there.

I understand your point, but there is one difference. On the JMU game we outplayed them 3 quarters and lost. Samford outplayed us 3 quarters and won.

FurmanWins!!
October 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Very true, fortunately there is still time left in this season to win some big games.

FurmanWins!!
October 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
SoCon coaches teleconference:
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205252349&DB_OEM_ID=4000

appstatefan123
October 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I was 4-1 this past week, pushing my overall record to 37-5. Furman's effort against Wofford showed that they are not to be counted out of this race. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Georgia Southern (1 of 4) - Dominated Presbyterian
2) Wofford (3 of 4) - Was ambushed in Greenville
3) Appalachian State (2 of 4) - Sends Homecoming crowd home happy.
4) Furman (3 of 4) - Leads off the back stretch with a shocker of the week.
5) Samford (4 of 4) - Loss to ASU now puts them in a win or else situation.
6) The Citadel (4 of 4) - Gives Western Carolina another reason to fire Dennis Wagner.
7) Chattanooga (3 of 3) - Cardiac Mocs stave off elimination this week.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Phoenix's dreams of returning to the playoffs go down in flames.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - If I was a Western man, I'd say that Dennis Wagner has to go and their AD (a Mike Hamilton clone, possibly?) too.

Agree.

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Via GoMocs.com:

Big Game Saturday When Mocs Host Furman
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=205322789

Terrierforlife
October 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
GSU
Wofford
Chattanooga/Furman
Samford
Citadel
Elon
Western

Predictions:
Bulldogs over VMI
Samford over Western
Wofford over Elon
Chatt over Furman (a toss up)
GSU over App

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
GSU
Wofford
Chattanooga/Furman
Samford
Citadel
Elon
Western

Predictions:
Bulldogs over VMI
Samford over Western
Wofford over Elon
GSU over App

You can't deny our existence and pick us to lose in the same post. You have to at least pick one

Terrierforlife
October 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
You can't deny our existence and pick us to lose in the same post. You have to at least pick one

You're right. App. at #4 ahead of Samford. I have to see the outcome of the Chatt/Furman game. I'm a little confused after that beating we took from Furman. Thanks.

boonegoon
October 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
You're right. App. at #4 ahead of Samford. I have to see the outcome of the Chatt/Furman game. I'm a little confused after that beating we took from Furman. Thanks.

Considering we beat Nooga and throttled Samford, aren't you a little biased?

Apphole
October 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM

His anti-app tendencies outweigh his best judgement

FurmanWins!!
October 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
A lot to be sorted out this Saturday for sure :)

SoCon Football Game Day: Week 9
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205251562&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Woof
October 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
GSU
Wofford
Chattanooga/Furman
Samford
Citadel
Elon
Western

Predictions:
Bulldogs over VMI
Samford over Western
Wofford over Elon
GSU over App

Yep....what he said.

Terrierforlife
October 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM

I said ahead of Samford, but The Chattanooga game made me keep them above you guys.

Terrierforlife
October 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
His anti-app tendencies outweigh his best judgement

For the record guy, I'm not anti App. I've stated more than once that you guys were still a good team this year when your own fans were crucifying your team after the Wofford loss. However, if being a Terrier fan is being anti- App, then so be it.

FurmanWins!!
October 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Less than 24 hours until Gameday!

OL FU
October 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Why Notxconfusedx Seems like a fine way to start the dayxlolx

straightshooter
October 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ah yes...that very short but meaninful word - IF - comes into play yet again. Do you have any idea how different this world would be if but a small percentage of "ifs" came to pass?

eaglewraith
October 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/69-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-9

Southern Conference: Folks are looking at the big Georgia Southern/Appalachian State game this weekend for the SoCon champ. But Wofford, despite their loss to Furman, is more in the driver's seat if they win the rest of their games.

Assuming GSU loses that is.

We're in the driver's seat for now.

Skjellyfetti
October 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Wofford, Appalachian, and Georgia Southern are ALL in the driver's seat. They all control their own destiny.

eaglesrback
October 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Wofford, Appalachian, and Georgia Southern are ALL in the driver's seat. They all control their own destiny.

Wrong, GEORGIA SOUTHERN is in the drivers seat, We are the ONLY undefeated. GEORGIA SOUTHERN controls everyones destiny.

And you Boys AINT gonna like the outcome!

CID1990
October 29th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Wrong, GEORGIA SOUTHERN is in the drivers seat, We are the ONLY undefeated. GEORGIA SOUTHERN controls everyones destiny.

You guys have been in the SoCon long enough to know that "undefeated" is a fleeting thing that will leave you when you least expect it.

Better to wait until the season's over.

eaglewraith
October 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
You guys have been in the SoCon long enough to know that "undefeated" is a fleeting thing that will leave you when you least expect it.

Better to wait until the season's over.

Yea but we've done it several times.

gsueagle2424
October 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I will jump in on the fun.

Georgia Southern Eagles - 34 (weather keeps us under 40 due to a turnover or two)
crAPP Goat Humpers - 27

CID1990
October 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Oops!

Mountaineer#96
October 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I will jump in on the fun.

Georgia Southern Eagles - 34 (weather keeps us under 40 due to a turnover or two)
crAPP Goat Humpers - 27

Crow.....hot or cold?

StorminASU
October 29th, 2011, 09:02 PM

I actually enjoyed the outcome pretty well. I would be happy to take it every year.

eaglewraith
October 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
eaglewraith, GSU lost

how is that working out for you know?

oops!

I'm guessing you just ate paint chips instead.