PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recap

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Georgetown destroys Colgate, 40-17, in its first win ever over the Red Raiders; Holy Cross barely gets past Bucknell, 16-13; and Lafayette annihilates Fordham, 45-24.

I guess that's why we actually play the games, right?

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ivy and Patriot finals, all in one place:

Penn 37 Yale 25

Brown 35 Cornell 24

Georgetown 40 Colgate 17

Lafayette 45 Fordham 24

Harvard 59 Princeton 39

Dartmouth 37 Columbia 0

Holy Cross 16 Bucknell 13

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Lafayette - has serious potential to do damage
Holy Cross - no running game and 6 turnovers
Bucknell - solid D but horrendous offense
Georgetown - impressed by their skill guys...
Colgate - slower than slow
Fordham - pathetic....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Lafayette is showing signs of life. I guess Tavani hasn't lost his ability to motivate after all.

carney2
October 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
VERY impressed by the Georgetown win. Just the opposite with the 'gaters. What now? This League is a screwed up mess:

Lehigh is the class of the League, but how does the rest of it sort out?

Preseason it was the Colgate as a contender/number 2. That isn't happening.

Then, along came the Crossers and they looked like they had something going. Not so sure anymore.

Bucknell is a perennial doormat, right? Hold that thought.

Lafayette looks like a re-do of last year's 2-9 losers. Uh oh, maybe not.

Fordham has all those scholarships and should be pretty good. Nope - not even close.

Are the Hoyas the real deal? They're freakin' 6-2. That's pretty real.

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
GTown hasn't beaten anyone of any significance....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Are the Hoyas the real deal? They're freakin' 6-2. That's pretty real.

They've just clinched their first winning season in the post-MAAC era. Yes, they're for real.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Defending Nate Eachus is no easy task. Georgetown performed quite admirably in that regard. I'd say the Hoyas are for real

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
GTown is 6-2 and congratulations are in order, but the Top 75 or so teams in FCS would be at least 6-2 playing their schedule so far.

98hoya
October 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sader, I'd say putting up 40 and crushing Colgate (with Eachus) is pretty significant. And for those of you who watched the game, you could back up the fact that the game wasn't even as close as the 40-17score reflected.

Speaking objectively, I wouldn't pick Gtown straight-up vs. any Holy Cross or any other opponent this year, but you're perhaps a little too dismissive. In any event, last year G'town sure did shut down Holy Cross and we did that without having beaten "anyone of significance." In the interim, I think G'town has improved a great deal and HC has stagnated. Again, if I were a betting man, I'd have a hard time picking my guys, but I like our chances pretty well.

BisonFan02
October 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Go Pards!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Folks laughed when I asked if an 8-3 Georgetown might get at-large consideration. The committee might need to look at that very thing.

carney2
October 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
GTown hasn't beaten anyone of any significance....

Good lord, what brought this comment on?!! Prior to 13 months ago the Hoyas beat no one - ever. Now they're 6-2 and just had a very successful recruiting year. Good things are finally happening. Oh no, let's rain on that parade.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
DFW's silence is deafning at this point. Someone in Dallas needs to look at a guy wandering the streets with a perma-smile, mumbling to himself about Washington, DC.

And after they've locked up Rick Perry, perhaps they should find DFW. xlolx

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I've got a recap to write and a World Series game to follow. Comments can follow in due time.

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Good lord, what brought this comment on?!! Prior to 13 months ago the Hoyas beat no one - ever. Now they're 6-2 and just had a very successful recruiting year. Good things are finally happening. Oh no, let's rain on that parade.

What brought that on was the fact that the Hoyas 6 wins have come against: Davidson, Lafayette, Marist, Wagner, Howard and Colgate. Hey terrific, they're having a nice season, but let's keep it in perspective. Why does everything have to be "ice cream and balloons" on the PL threads?

Ken_Z
October 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
What brought that on was the fact that the Hoyas 6 wins have come against: Davidson, Lafayette, Marist, Wagner, Howard and Colgate. Hey terrific, they're having a nice season, but let's keep it in perspective. Why does everything have to be "ice cream and balloons" on the PL threads?

no, no no. avoiding "bread and circus" is the foundation of the Patriot League.

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
GTown would most likely be 2-5 right now if they had played HC's schedule so far: UMass (L), Colgate (W), Harvard (L), @UNH (L), @Brown (L), Dartmouth (W) and @Bucknell (L).

carney2
October 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM

mmmmmmmm, ice cream. Balloons, oh yes, balloons.

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Go Pards!

Thx our friends in the Greatland! Great win over the SDSU Jackwabbits! Beat Northern Iowa! And congrats to Georgetown - you've come a long way baby!

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
We were horrific today...how we won is a mystery I will probably never ascertain. I have no idea if we are a "good," "average," or "bad" team at the moment.

Lafayette is coming on, glad we have them at Fitton.

Worst Colgate team in 10-15 years?

Lafalumni29
October 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
This newly found strength over at Lafayette has to be a major concern for Lehigh...

ahhhh not so fast my friend. I think most of us LC fans wouldn't call it strength just yet. We could have just as well lost that game with another onside kick recovery.

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM

There is a long-standing rationalization that any Patriot League that loses to Georgetown must be, by rule, in trouble. "What, lose to a team that has fewer equivalencies than some New England prep schools?"

Maybe, just maybe, Georgetown is getting better. In 2010, Nate Eachus rushed for 244 yards against the Hoyas. This year, 38.

In 2010, Colgate was 6-6 in the red zone. In 2011, just 1-1.

In 2010, Colgate converted 12 third down opportunities. In 2011, four.

Georgetown's offense isn't there yet. The defense is.

Seawolf97
October 22nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Nice win for the Hoyas none the less!

ngineer
October 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
If you look back at the pick 'em thread, I picked G'town to win this game! First, historically, they have played Colgate tough. Raiders barely beat them in '03 when CU went to the national finals. Second, it was a classic trap game. Raiders just beat arch rival Cornell, with Lehigh on the other side. Third, stop Eachus, you stop Colgate. Nice win Hoyas. A lesson for all to follow. Never say never. I hope our guys are paying attention.

Sader87
October 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Colgate also lost to Dartmouth this year....just sayin'

TheValleyRaider
October 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM

We went 4-7 in 2006, only losing record under Biddle. This team isn't that bad yet.

If you look back at the pick 'em thread, I picked G'town to win this game! First, historically, they have played Colgate tough. Raiders barely beat them in '03 when CU went to the national finals. Second, it was a classic trap game. Raiders just beat arch rival Cornell, with Lehigh on the other side. Third, stop Eachus, you stop Colgate. Nice win Hoyas. A lesson for all to follow. Never say never. I hope our guys are paying attention.

They actually haven't, which is what makes this somewhat shocking. DFW has the stats above, this game wasn't even remotely competitive 12 months ago. Outside of 2003 (which given the context is one of the strangest things), Colgate had only once given up more than 20 points, never scored less than 31, and the smallest margin of victory was 17 points. But, as I overheard in my brief period of watching the broadcast, there was 8 years of frustration taken out today, or at least it felt like it

Pard4Life
October 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
I guess we can acknowledge that Gtown is finally winning the games they should win and finally beat Colgate. Don't count on Lehigh to lose.