PDA

View Full Version : Yale at Penn, Mr. C's Game Thread

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. — One of the things you never get used to, living in the "City of Brotherly Love," is the fact that you can have your day disrupted at any time by infernal traffic jams.

Such was the case today for this writer as he made a leisurely drive to historic Franklin Field for the Ivy League showdown between Yale and host Penn. One minute you are enjoying a Saturday morning commute and the next you are stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

And that was just before arriving in the University City area of Philadelphia. Once I arrived in the parking area around the stadium, it seemed that there was more foot traffic than cars lining the Schuylkill Expressway.

It has always amazed me that you at times have more people tailgating at Philadelphia area college football games than actually using their tickets to watch the games.

I'll probably never figure out that dynamic, but for those of us on the inside, there is a classic Ivy League matchup to watch.

Penn is seeking to make a step towards an unprecedented third consecutive Ivy League title. It is the 100th career game for legendary Penn coach Al Bagnoli at Franklin Field and he is looking for his 100th Ivy League win.

The Quakers have won three straight games and are 2-0 in the Ivy League after an 0-2 non-conference start. And then there is that nation-long 17-game conference winning streak.

It is the 79th meeting between Penn and Yale.

Yale (3-2, 2-0) is trying to regroup after a 28-19 loss to Lafayette, which I witnessed last Saturday night.

The Bulldogs have been error prone throughout the season and the beginning of this game emphasized this point for all to see.

After holding Penn inside of Bulldog territory on a key third and short, Yale came out of a two-minute television time out and promptly was called for delay of game. I don't think I've ever seen that before in 35 years of covering college football and over 50 years of watching as a fan.

On the second play for the Bulldogs, they had a long completion wiped out by an ineligible player downfield infraction.

Yale dodged a bigger bullet when a personal foul on a successful Penn field goal in the first period gave the Quakers a first down and a second chance at a touchdown.

But the Quakers couldn't score and were forced to settled on a 24-yard Connor Loftus kick that gave Penn a 3-0 lead with 1:44 left in the first period, after an 11-play, 83-yard drive that took 5:20 off the clock.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yale got a good kickoff return and has moved to the Penn 46 as the first quarter ends with Penn still leading 3-0.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
You have to love a band that plays tunes like "Video Killed The Radio Star" by the Buggles and Toto's "Africa." I feel like I'm having an '80's flashback and have gotten sucked into an MTV time warp.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
So how come Yale penalties mean they are error prone, but Penn penalties means Yale was lucky? xlolx

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Despite Yale's lack of progress under head coach Tom Williams, a sizable crowd of Yale supporters is at Franklin Field today. There might actually be MORE Yale fans than Penn fans here today. Attendance this season for Penn supporters has been very troubling.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
terrible punt after a terrible play call on 3rd and three.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
If Yale can't force a couple of 3 and outs they're going to get hammered

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
So how come Yale penalties mean they are error prone, but Penn penalties means Yale was lucky? xlolx

Didn't say that anybody was lucky. With the traffic, I haven't had a chance to tell you about Penn's sins as of yet. We'll get there. Penn did have one big play wiped out by an ineligible player downfield penalty. Considering a game about four years back that was decided on one of those (with Yale hanging on to a win in overtime after Penn HB Joe Sandburg had thrown his second TD pass of the day, only to have it wiped out by a controversial call), I have to wonder if it is the SAME Ivy League crew. We've had three of those penalties in one quarter today.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
If Yale can't force a couple of 3 and outs they're going to get hammered

The good thing for Yale is the Elis are playing good defense on third downs.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Friendly reminder that you can follow all the Ivy League's action today here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/p/ivy-league-football-live-scoreboard.html

By the way Mr. C, I think these scoreboards might have a new home next weekend! I hope! xthumbsupx

Mr. C
terrible punt after a terrible play call on 3rd and three.

That sounds like something we were discussing last week. Different week, different venue, same result. Maybe the Bulldogs don't like playing in Pennsylvania.

Mr. C
Friendly reminder that you can follow all the Ivy League's action today here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/p/ivy-league-football-live-scoreboard.html

By the way Mr. C, I think these scoreboards might have a new home next weekend! I hope! xthumbsupx

Folks should look for some major media announcements concerning FCS coverage this week.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Didn't say that anybody was lucky. With the traffic, I haven't had a chance to tell you about Penn's sins as of yet. We'll get there. Penn did have one big play wiped out by an ineligible player downfield penalty. Considering a game about four years back that was decided on one of those (with Yale hanging on to a win in overtime after Penn HB Joe Sandburg had thrown his second TD pass of the day, only to have it wiped out by a controversial call), I have to wonder if it is the SAME Ivy League crew. We've had three of those penalties in one quarter today.

I wouldn't be surprised. Officials have tendencies too.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
After Penn's Cameron Jones ended a Yale threat with a sack of QB Patrick Witt on a third-down play, Yale responded with a Geoff Dunham interception to stop Penn on another third down.

A couple of nice runs has allowed Yale to push the ball to the Penn 21 with a second and one upcoming with 11 minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
First down completion to the Penn 12 for Witt and the Bulldogs. Witt is looking much sharper today than last week.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. Officials have tendencies too.

That call on the Sandburg TD pass in OT was one of the worst I've EVER seen. Penn got called for ineligible man downfield when they were inches away from the Yale goal line.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yale just went in front on a 12-yard TD pass to make it 7-3 with 9:45 left in the half. Very nice, short drive. Patrick Witt to the talented Chris Smith for the score. 5 plays, 47 yards in 2:18.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
That call on the Sandburg TD pass in OT was one of the worst I've EVER seen. Penn got called for ineligible man downfield when they were inches away from the Yale goal line.

I thought it was technically if not, what's the right word, morally (?) the right call.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
As a long time Yale fan (and alum?), bulldog10jw, what is the consensus on Tom Williams up in New Haven and around the Eli nation?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I thought it was technically if not, what's the right word, morally (?) the right call.

Agree that it didn't meet the spirit of the rules. It was a blown call as well, from the game film perspective. I still remember having lunch with Al Bagnoli that following Wednesday. He was still hot about that call and probably would be again, if you brought it up today.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
There was a nice pass connection between Penn QB Billy Ragone and Scott Conner to set up the Quakers again, but Yale's defense came up big again and a 50-yard field goal by strong-legged freshman Connor Loftus was just short. Loftus turned down several major BCS scholarship offers to come to Penn.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I thought the Yale defense was a unit of unsung heroes last week in the loss to Lafayette and the Bulldog D is playing well again today. They seem to play extremely hard and are getting nice pressure on Ragone in passing situations.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Yale just got set back again with another offensive penalty, this time a holding call on TE Beau Palin (any relation to Sarah Palin?).

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Witt was forced to scramble for his life on third down and was sacked. These offenses better take care of business on first and second down, because neither is giving up much on third down. Penn has the ball at its own 35 with 5:55 left in the half. Yale 7, Penn 3.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
As a long time Yale fan (and alum?), bulldog10jw, what is the consensus on Tom Williams up in New Haven and around the Eli nation?

I think the thought is that he will win some games he shouldn't win, but will lose more games he shouldn't lose. Kind of a riverboat gambler type. They like his youth and enthusiasm, but no one is sure there is any substance behind the show.

The consensus is also that he is a good recruiter of skill players, but whether he can get or cares to get the lineman you need to win is up in the air.

Most also think he is just at Yale as a stepping stone.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
This media time out musical selection is "The Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
I think the thought is that he will win some games he shouldn't win, but will lose more games he shouldn't lose. Kind of a riverboat gambler type. They like his youth and enthusiasm, but no one is sure there is any substance behind the show.

The consensus is also that he is a good recruiter of skill players, but whether he can get or cares to get the lineman you need to win is up in the air.

Most also think he is just at Yale as a stepping stone.

Folks around the Ivy League think some of his recruiting decision have been unconventional, like a player who was ranked as one of the top RBs in the country by Penn, Harvard and others, but was considered not someone that Yale thought could play at this level. Just one example.

He hasn't been great with the media in my experience. Reminds me of another former NFL coach Williams coached with, ex-Georgia Southern head coach Brian VanGorder (sorry to offend GSU Eagle fans with that profanity).

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Ragone shows his wheels to scramble for a big first down at the Yale 29.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
An awesome cut back against the grain on a stretch play by Brandon Colavita gives Penn a first down at the Yale 13 and a personal foul after the play on Yale makes it first and goal at the six.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
First Yale lets Colavito get away when they had him behind the line of scrimmage, then a stupid penalty

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Horrible tackling by Yale

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Yale DE Pat Moran just made a great sack on Ragone on second and goal, but Ragone followed with a Fran Tarkenton-type scramble to the one.

Mr. C
Raggone's QB sneak on fourth and goal was stopped short and Yale holds with 37 seconds left in the half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Great job by the Yale D on 4th and goal from the one foot mark!!

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bad play call by Penn IMO. You have to give Colavito the ball there.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
The Yale crowd is making a lot of noise. You would think we were in the Yale Bowl, instead of Franklin field.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Bad play call by Penn IMO. You have to give Colavito the ball there.

Penn got into too much of a hurry, with a quick snap and didn't get any line push. I like bootlegs with a run-pass option, particularly getting the tight end involved on those type of plays.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yale very nearly broke a 90-something-yard TD run on the last play. Cameron Jones made a saving tackle at the Yale 37. If Jones had missed, it would have been six.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
screen was set up perfectly. Too bad.

Mr. C
Great job by the Yale D on 4th and goal from the one foot mark!!

Anyone watching the TV version of this game (on Versus?)? How do things look from Philly?

Mr. C
screen was set up perfectly. Too bad.

Maybe Yale should play jet formation all of the time, like former UNH OC Chip Kelly does at Oregon?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
One last play coming up in the first half from the Yale 47.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Deon Randell is stopped on a draw play. Halftime. I wouldn't want to be in that Penn locker room with Coach Bagnoli right now. Halftime score is Yale 7, Penn 3.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
That hit on Witt was REAL CLOSE to helmet to helmet

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Another totally weird Ivy League halftime show, this time from Yale's band. Do we really need to see someone dressed up like Pikachu from Pokemon? Ouch.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
That hit on Witt was REAL CLOSE to helmet to helmet

I didn't see it from my angle. That is where TV replays come in handy. TV replays at Franklin Field? Not in this century.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Another totally weird Ivy League halftime show, this time from Yale's band. Do we really need to see someone dressed up like Pikachu from Pokemon? Ouch.

I'm surprised the band made the trip.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
11,413 attendance today. Very low for this game, which usually draws in the 15,000 to 20,000 range from my experience.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised the band made the trip.

Most of the Ivy League bands could stay home from this musician's perspective. I don't understand the Scramble Band concept.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Yale looks like it is going to try to establish the run as the Bulldogs open the second half with the ball.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Witt is like night and day better today. He just put a ball right on the money for a third-down conversion at the Yale 49.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Witt got clobbered just as he lofted up a pass and Randall, running a wheel route, extended full-out for a diving catch near the 10. But the play was wiped out by an offensive pass interference call. Anyone care to comment on the replay. Was it a legit penalty?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Another completion to Chris Smith in the same area and another flag, but this time it was sideline interference on Penn. First and goal for Yale at the Penn six.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Witt got clobbered just as he lofted up a pass and Randall, running a wheel route, extended full-out for a diving catch near the 10. But the play was wiped out by an offensive pass interference call. Anyone care to comment on the replay. Was it a legit penalty?

They never really showed a good replay....at least that I saw.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Alex Thomas to the one on first down and into the end zone a play later. Yale 13, Penn 3 with 11:05 left in the third period. PAT went wide left.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Another Yale missed XP. The kicking game is going to cost them eventually.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
They never really showed a good replay....at least that I saw.

I was watching Witt get hit, so I didn't see how Randall created separation on the play.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Another Yale missed XP. The kicking game is going to cost them eventually.

It is amazing how many teams at the FCS level can't do something as simple as kick an extra point. Let me give my sore, 53-year-old legs a crack at it. I used to pretend I was George Blanda, kicking in my front yard as a kid.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
A perfect strike from Ragone to Ryan Mitchell for 46 yards to the Yale 22.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well, that didn't take long.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ragone to Joe Holder for a 22-yard TD is good when the flag thrown is for defensive holding in the end zone. Yale 13, Penn 10 with 9:37 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Well, that didn't take long.
When Ragone gets it going, he can strike quick. It looked like they had something set up on the long pass to Mitchell. That was something the Penn staff had schemed.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
The key for both defenses is continuing to get pressure on the QBs. Both secondaries look somewhat vulnerable today.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
And a Witt pass to Chris Smith goes for a 60-yard TD to make it Yale 20, Penn 10 with 8:04 left in the third quarter. The low PAT just snuck through.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
One TD in a whole half and then two long strikes in a New York minute.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
And a Witt pass to Chris Smith goes for a long TD to make it Yale 20, Penn 10 with 8:04 left in the third quarter. The low PAT just snuck through.

I love it when a great player like Smith is only a junior.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Yale breaks up a play-action pass inside the five that Ryan Calvert got a hand on.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I love it when a great player like Smith is only a junior.
There always seem to be great receivers in this league. I think Smith is special.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yale's defense makes another third-down stop at the Bulldog 44. On fourth and one, Penn punts to the Yale 13 with 5:19 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
If I'm a Penn fan, I would like to see Al Bagnoli get less conservative and go for some more fourth downs. His idea is to pin teams deep and let his defense do its stuff. The Quakers need a quick defensive stop here to get some momentum.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Yale has strung together a couple of first downs to get out of trouble to the Bulldog 44.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Big first-down hit by Erik Rask from MLB. Five-yard loss.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Third and 11 upcoming for Yale. This is a key moment for the Penn defense with 3 minutes left in the third.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Witt hits a timing pattern for a first down at the Penn 38

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Another third down for Yale at the Penn 30.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Penn doesn't go for a play fake, covers all of the receivers and forces intentional grounding by Witt with a heavy rush. Fourth down at the Penn 42 for the Bulldogs and punt time.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
WOW!!! Not sure about that one. Really a late flag

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
A terrible punt gets a good bounce on the Franklin Field turf and rolls dead at the Penn 12. There are 31 seconds left in the third quarter.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Colavita busts loose to the Penn 34.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
And its time to toss some toasts (and toast) around at Franklin Field as the third period ends.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Some drunken Yale student is booing the toast toss. That's a first for me and everyone else along press row.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
And here comes the toast Zamboni.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
The key for Penn on this drive is to stay out of third down situations, but now the Quakers have a third and one again at the Quaker 43.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Colavita's run is going to be close. Time for a measurement.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
First down by a nose.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ragone goes 39 yards on what looked like a designed QB keeper. And he hit TE Luke Nawrocki for a 16-yard TD on the next play.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
A key extra point goes wide left to leave the score at Yale 20, Penn 16 with 13 minutes remaining.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Again, my legs are available for hire. I think I might have some eligibility left.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Both teams can look so good on D for a few plays then all of a sudden, boom, boom, TD

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
It is a chilly, cloudy fall day here at Franklin Field. Can't wait to warm up in an enclosed press box when Old Dominion plays at Villanova in about an hour.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Both teams can look so good on D for a few plays then all of a sudden, boom, boom, TD

If Penn can keep a handle on Chris Smith, the Quakers probably have a few more big-play performers. This is a key possession for Yale.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Unbelievable

Mr. C
And Penn's Kyle Wilcox just stunned Yale by recovering an onside kick, lofted over the first line of blockers, at the Bulldog 39.

Mr. C
First-down completion from Ragone to Mitchell at the Yale 13. 12:43 and running.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
First-down run by Colavita to the 10.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Play-action fake and scramble by Ragone for a 10-yard TD. Nifty feet for Ragone.

bulldog10jw
And again, unbelievable. This team just does not know how to win.

Mr. C
Kick is good to make it Penn 23, Yale 20 with 11:42 remaining.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
And again, unbelievable. This team just does not know how to win.

That's how to execute an onside kick, Tom Williams.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Are you sure it was planned. It looked more like it was held up by the wind.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
This is the second year in a row that Penn has recovered an onside kick against Yale.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Are you sure it was planned. It looked more like it was held up by the wind.

It was definitely planned.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yale is at the Penn 41 after a couple of nice runs.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
This game is headed for a great finish.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Alex Thomas is running hard on this drive. Yale has a first down at the Penn 24.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Witt was hit as he threw to Randell in the end zone and two Penn defenders collided on a near interception.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
A third-down pass is short of the first down. Panico with a 35-yard field just inside the right upright from the left hash to make it 23-all with 8:31 left.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Ragone has 8 carries for 92 yards and has hit 15-of-22 passes fro 199 yards. Colavita has 103 yards on 14 carries for Penn.

Thomas has rushed 25 times for 155 yards and Witt is 10-of-16 for 207 yards for Yale.

bulldog10jw
How can you not see that play coming. Even I could see it.

Mr. C
Colavita is on the loose again to the Yale 45 with 7:42 left.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Mitchell on the end around to the Yale 38 for second and three.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Yale's bend but don't break defense is breaking

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Jeff Jack, or is it Jack Jeff, keeps the legs churning to the 35 for a first down. 6:30 and running left.

bulldog10jw
I'm praying for a turnover

Mr. C
Yale's safety just obliterated TE Joe Holder on a play pass. Pass interference and a first down at the Yale 20.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I thought the pass interference call was iffy, but Yale is just terrible right now.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
TD strike to Ryan Calvert from Ragone inside the left corner of the end zone. Perfect timing. The PAT is good. Penn 30, Yale 23, 6:07 remaining.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
I thought the pass interference call was iffy, but Yale is just terrible right now.

The safety hit the TE just as the ball was flying by. I'm not sure the pass would have been caught. The call was shaky, but it was a real lack of discipline from the safety. Did you catch the number?

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
11 - Dunham

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Gut check time for Witt, Thomas and the Yale offense. I wonder if Yale's defense is getting tired, even though they haven't been out there for many plays. The quick strikes have been incredible.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
A big hit and a fumble for Yale on the kickoff return. Randle fumbled and Joey Grosso recovered at the Yale 34.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
And Yale folds like an accordion, unfortunately, not unexpected.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Gut check time for Witt, Thomas and the Yale offense. I wonder if Yale's defense is getting tired, even though they haven't been out there for many plays. The quick strikes have been incredible.

The Yale offense didn't even get a chance. Special teams have killed the Bulldogs again.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
I can never understand waving off a flag. What made you throw it in the first place?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
And Yale folds like an accordion, unfortunately, not unexpected.

Some teams know how to win (like Penn) and some seemingly always lose in these type of games.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Embarrassing 4th quarter performance by Yale

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Colavita escapes at the line on third and inches and scores from the 25. Penn 37, Yale 23 with 5:13 left.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
I can never understand waving off a flag. What made you throw it in the first place?
The theory up here was that one of the officials was dialing long distance and thought he saw something he didn't. The other official appeared to talk him out of the call. Al Bagnoli was doing some nice lobbying from the sidelines.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Some teams know how to win (like Penn) and some seemingly always lose in these type of games.

Yale wins these type of games when it is Columbia or Princeton, but never, in the last 5 years against Penn or Harvard. This one hurts because they really choked.

By the way, what happened to Smith?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Embarrassing 4th quarter performance by Yale

Is it youth, or something else that is causing Yale to not be able to close out games. I wonder about conditioning a bit.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yale wins these type of games when it is Columbia or Princeton, but never, in the last 5 years against Penn or Harvard. This one hurts because they really choked.

Haven't heard anything, or seen anything on Smith. He is standing on the sidelines right now with his hands on his hips, but no helmet (that may be a sign of an injury).

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Alex Thomas is having an awesome game for Yale. That's one kid who hasn't quit in the fourth quarter. He has to be closing in on 200 yards today.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Yale has a first and goal after Thomas' runs and an Elijah Thomas catch at the five. There is 3:35 left and Penn just burned its first time out of the half.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM

It's kind of like what always seems to happen to Penn in all of those close games with Villanova every year.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Third and goal and pretty much the ballgame coming up at the seven for Yale with under three to play.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Witt for some reason threw the ball away on a rollout pass. Great coverage, but sometimes you need to keep a play alive. Fourth down.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Witt's pass is incomplete, but flags are down.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Unsportsmanlike penalty on Penn after the play, but the ball changes hands with 2:35 remaining.

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Is it youth, or something else that is causing Yale to not be able to close out games. I wonder about conditioning a bit.

BEGS DUH Q.......DO IVIES...PUT IN SAME EFFORT AS PLAY-OFF ELIGBLE SQWADS DO...xconfusedx....THEIR SEASON STARTS...COUPLE WEEKS BEHIND...DUH REST O' I-AA....DO DEY DO SUMMER 7-7'S......STUFF LIKE DAT....xconfusedx.....DELAWARE BEHIND 35-28....ALAS....2:54...TA
GO...RHODEY ON DELAWARE 40.....WOE IS ME...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
16208.....RAMS @...HENS...22......39 YARD FG ATTEMPT......1:22 ON DUH MICKEY.....UP & GOOD......38-28......WE JES' LIKE E. WASH.....PLAY FO' DUH BLING..ONE DAY....NEXT...YER.....JES'..AN'....ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET........xbawlingx....DOODLE-DOO!

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
YOU-DEE'S...ROB JONES....ON UH DEFLECTION...HAULS IN UH 6 DIGIT SCUD...ON LAST PLAY O' GAME......NO....EXTRA POINT TAKEN.......38-34......FINAL!........AN' IN DUH END......DUH LUV...YA TAKE....IS EQUAL...TA DUH LOVE...YA MAKE........AWQ!

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
HEY C......YER SATELLITE...CRASH INTA...SPACE JUNK......xconfusedx

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
That's how to execute an onside kick, Tom Williams.

I forgot to comment on this. So the way to execute an onside kick is to have the receiving team stand around and not even try to recover it?

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
HEY C......YER SATELLITE...CRASH INTA...SPACE JUNK......xconfusedx
Nope, just had to get into position the get out of the Franklin Field parking lot, so I could get to Villanova for the Wildcat-Old Dominion game. Traffic is still brutal in Philly.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
After taking a safety late out of punt formation, Penn was able to hold on for a 37-25 victory. That is 18 Ivy League wins in a row for Penn and congrats to Al Bagnoli on his 100th Ivy League victory.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
I forgot to comment on this. So the way to execute an onside kick is to have the receiving team stand around and not even try to recover it?

They were caught completely off-guard on this kick. The guy nearest the kick had a deer-in-the-headlights look. He had no clue that he could signal for a fair catch on that play.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
I know. Hard to believe.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I know. Hard to believe.

THings like that show that certain players are not prepared to play on Saturdays.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm really struck by the onsides kick issue by Yale, because when the Eli played Lehigh they also got surprised by an onsides kick as well. All your comments on Yale being surprised, deer-in-headlights looks all are thoughts that ran through my mind during that game, too.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
THings like that show that certain players are not prepared to play on Saturdays.

I would like to blame the coach, but a player should know from high school on that a kickoff is a free ball.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I'm really struck by the onsides kick issue by Yale, because when the Eli played Lehigh they also got surprised by an onsides kick as well. All your comments on Yale being surprised, deer-in-headlights looks all are thoughts that ran through my mind during that game, too.

Against Lehigh, at least one player had a clue

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I would like to blame the coach, but a player should know from high school on that a kickoff is a free ball.

That is my opinion, too. When I said the kid wasn't prepared, the blame is totally on him.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM

Like I posted earlier, that is the second year in a row that Yale had given up an onside kick to Penn. How often does that happen? Penn had not recovered an onside kick since the Yale game last year, until today.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Bagnoli's quote:

"We were really trying to make those big guys [on the Yale return team] run around and go get the ball, not be able to set the wedge," said Penn head coach Al Bagnoli, who picked up the 100th Ivy League win of his coaching career. "Connor Loftus hit it perfectly, the ball bounced, and we were fortunate to recover."

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/releases/20111022881doj

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Any quotes from the "personable" Tom Williams?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

He should have been furious!

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM

An obvious one:

"I thought the key play of the game was the sky kick that they recovered," Williams said. "You've got to give Penn credit. They're champions for a reason. They do a nice job of making the plays they're supposed to make."

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Looks like Harvard-Penn in 3 weeks will decide the title...although Penn has to go to Brown next week and Harvard can't overlook Dartmouth.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't think anyone can overlook Brown, particularly on the road. There still could be the possibility of a tri-championship this season in the Ivy League.