PDA

View Full Version : GAME PREVIEW- Samford at Appalachian State

Apphole
October 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Since Samford entered the Southern Conference in 2008, we App fans have enjoyed a 3-0 lead in the series.* They've always put up somewhat of a fight, but no Mountaineer fan would tell you they were ever sincerely worried before or during any one of those games.* Just another small dog on the schedule (bringing the total to 3).* After all, this happened last time Lil Sammy was in town.* Perhaps that's why our battle with the Bulldogs of Birmingham landed on homecoming weekend.* Easy pickins right?....Gulp......

Regardless of the circumstances of their spot on our schedule, I never would have expected to be this nervous about Saturday's game.* This is not the Samford team of the past few years.* They are coming off of two respectable wins against Furman and Elon, they're rockin' a sweet new, Auburn-style offense and they boast the same overall record as App State (4-2).* It's not just that Cam Newton left Auburn as the number one draft pick and the school just tossed their offensive strategies to their little in-state neighbors in Birmingham.* These pups have the athletes to run it.* Their every-man Truss ran for 191 yards and three touchdowns against Elon last weekend.* This guy leads the conference in kick/punt return yards as well.*

Yup, these guys are bona fide!* And it couldn't have come at a better time.* With the defense gutted with key injuries and possible suspensions for mysterious off-the-field happenings, we just moved Walter Payton second runner up and SoCon offensive player of the year Deandre Presley from QB to corner.* Of course he is, at least physically, perfectly suited for the position.* 5'11" and very fast is a text book defensive back.* You also have to take into account his experience running an offense and recognizing receiver routes and formations. But for the most part, it seems like an act of desperation.* Jamill Lott, a promising young receiver, has also been moved to the backfield for the Apps on D.* It was clear last week that we were just running out of players.*

After running up the score on another bulldog school in Charleston, the ASU defense let the Citadel come back from 49-14 to 49-42 before taking a knee in victory formation.* Of course two key App fumbles gave the Citadel a short field, they ran back a blocked punt and relied on a lot of trickery in the first half to get their first 14, but it's hard to not be concerned after such an outrageous comeback.* Coach Moore attributed their stellar resurgence to just running out of players on defense.* Hopefully the new offensive transfers will help this depth problem or we will be in for a long season watching every school run the score up in the fourth quarter because we have players in that have no business being out there.

Don't fret though, last week also showcased an offensive spark unseen the entire season.* Jamal Jackson has arrived.* If the offensive line performs as well this week against a defense that blitzes,* that it did last week against one that didn't at all, it should bode very well for the remainder of our season and our ability to operate offensively regardless of a defense's style.* Steven Miller had a career day as ASU ran for 318 yards.* We seemed to be back to our old ways last Saturday.* Now it's time to test it again.

Let's not forget what Lil Sammy is walking into on Saturday.* The homecoming crowd will be over 30 thousand.* That's a few more than the modest crowd that watched Samford beat Elon last week.* During the UTC game, Coleman had to check down and tell each lineman individually what play was coming next and it is very likely that the botched field goal snap that we ran back for the game winning touchdown was a direct result of confusion generated by the Rock.* Kidd Brewer is a hard play to win if you're the visitor.* Only four have done it over the past eight years.*

Prediction: With Sammy coming into the Rock, I don't see us losing.* We're not a bad team this year and a lot of uncontrollable tribulations are the main thing that's making this season more difficult than years past.* With our offense back on track, I expect the Apps to light up the score board/Samford defense.* It may get close at times and when we start to run out of defensive personnel towards the end of the game, it will be a barn burner.

42-34 App*

http://appstategonzo.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-preview-samford-at-appalachian.html?m=1

Apphole
October 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Forgive the *'s. Something to do with when I copied and pasted it. There's also a link in the first paragraph. When I get to a computer I'll fix it.

ElonPride
October 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Let's go Samford, turn the SoCon upside down!

Mikeyosef
October 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Let's go Samford, turn the SoCon upside down! Not likely but you can keep dreamingxcoffeex

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
This will probably be the only game left on the regular season slate for App State that I won't be rooting for them.....I want 4 playoff teams from the Socon in!

Appaholic
October 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Let's go Samford, turn the SoCon upside down!

Hey, if you can't beat 'em, might as well cheer for someone who might.....

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hole:

Good post! But, what is an "uncontrollable tribulation"?

To answer my own question, Webster's defines "tribulation" as "great misery or distress, or the cause of it". So, we got uncontrollable distresses going on, or what?

Actually, it seems to me that whatever misery or distress might actually be going on, notwithstanding the rumor mill, it's probably controllable.

Apphole
October 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hole:

Good post! But, what is an "uncontrollable tribulation"?

To answer my own question, Webster's defines "tribulation" as "great misery or distress, or the cause of it". So, we got uncontrollable distresses going on, or what?

Actually, it seems to me that whatever misery or distress might actually be going on, notwithstanding the rumor mill, it's probably controllable.

I was talking about injuries (that are out of the team's control) and the Gainey/Tanyi Saga that doesn't really reflect on the team as a whole. We've been a misfortune magnet so far this season.

asumike83
October 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I like it! I expect a close game as well, should be very interesting. Another SoCon test for JJ and a bit tougher than last week's. I do think the home crowd will be too much for Samford. 38-27 ASU

We've gotten one preview, why not 2?
Homecoming Preview: Scouting the Bulldogs (http://appstatemike.blogspot.com/2011/10/homecoming-preview-scouting-bulldogs.html)

boonegoon
October 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
Yup, these guys are bona fide!* And it couldn't have come at a better time.* With the defense gutted with key injuries and possible suspensions for mysterious off-the-field happenings, we just moved Walter Payton second runner up and SoCon offensive player of the year Deandre Presley from QB to corner.* Of course he is, at least physically, perfectly suited for the position.* 5'11" and very fast is a text book defensive back.*rd-at-appalachian.html?m=1[/URL]

Is this for real?

Block-A
October 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Is this for real?

Daily radio report does indeed say that Presley has worked on defense this week, as well as at WR, RB, & KR.

Very odd & somewhat disconcerting, coming in the middle of the season.

http://www.goasu.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=807241

phoenixphanatic21
October 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Daily radio report does indeed say that Presley has worked on defense this week, as well as at WR, RB, & KR.

Very odd & somewhat disconcerting, coming in the middle of the season.

http://www.goasu.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=807241

WR, RB and KR I can understand. But CB? Are you guys that lacking in-depth at the position or is Presley just the greatest athlete ever?

Block-A
October 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
WR, RB and KR I can understand. But CB? Are you guys that lacking in-depth at the position or is Presley just the greatest athlete ever?

IDK. I can't imagine that Presley's shoulder is too bad to play QB but OK for WR or RB. He is a good athlete, maybe they are just trying to put him on the field. But I can't imagine he'd be a DB were there not something else going on.

Jerry Moore was not afraid to put Armanti Edwards, as a freshman, in front of Elder; maybe he's saying Jackson is ready to be the QB.

.... or... maybe... he's messing with our minds?

SU DOG
October 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
I hope that DP does play CB ONLY. At least that way he is not a nightmare for our defense. The worse-case scenario I can think of is if Coach Moore decided to play him TWO WAYS!!!

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Stanford beats App at home by 20.

What's that you say? Samford of Alabama?

Never mind. App wins, but take the points!:D

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I missed the 1st quarter because my wife decided today would be a good day for us (me) to pressure wash the front porch.

App State leading Samford 14 - 10 under 3 min first half.

Samford just scored a TD on a nice drive.

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Samford penalty for roughing on a punt gets App another chance under 2 min left, 69 yd pass to Quick makes it

21 - 10 App,

just over 1 min left til half

tractorapp
October 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Samford is a talented bunch on offense. I think we need to score in the 40's to beat these guys. Anything officially announced on Tanyi and Gainey?

Apphole
October 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Bad officiating again. In the SoCon!? No.... The Sammy TD: the guy clearly landed completely out if bounds. The roughing penalty: Their guy was blocked into him. At least they're being fair and calling both teams equally horridly.

AshevilleApp
October 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Presley making tackles on D

tractorapp
October 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Awesome pitch and catch for a 29-
10 lead. 10:38 in 3rd. LOts of touch on that pass.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Why is DP playing on defense? Are you guys really that thin in the secondary?

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Presley had 4 tackles and a forced fumble in the first half, according to radio guys.

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
35 - 10 App State 11:56 left Q4

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Double-reverse pass scores a TD for Samford

35 - 17 App St
11 min left Q4

Block-A
October 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Final score:

35 - 17

App State over Samford

DP_ASU
October 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Presley with an interception...

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Samford is a talented bunch on offense. I think we need to score in the 40's to beat these guys. Anything officially announced on Tanyi and Gainey?

Never heard anything official but didn't see either one of them hit the field today.

proasu89
October 22nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Presley with an interception...

#4 Roger Walker with two today. Presley did cause a fumble though.

boonegoon
October 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when DP became the starting corner. I'm glad the kid gets to play, maybe he wanted the change. He played really well today at corner, by the way.

asumike83
October 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when DP became the starting corner. I'm glad the kid gets to play, maybe he wanted the change. He played really well today at corner, by the way.

6 solo tackles and a forced fumble? I'll take it! Couldn't be happier for a kid like DeAndre, he just wants to contribute.