PDA

View Full Version : JMU At APP ST

alexale23
May 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
The champions of the past 2 years will square off in boone nc the second week of the season.
I think JMU will win this game easily.
Please share your thoughts on this game

blur2005
May 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
The champions of the past 2 years will square off in boone nc the second week of the season.
I think JMU will win this game easily.
Please share your thoughts on this game
Uhh...this is a pretty stupid post, and I'm a JMU fan. If you think winning in Boone will be easy, then you must not be too familiar with I-AA football. But I guess your 13 posts could reflect that. Moreoever, App State isn't exactly going to be rebuilding; in fact, I think they have a stronger returning group than JMU did after winning it all. JMU will be a couple point underdogs in this game and I don't really know if they can win.

blukeys
May 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Should be a good game and I would love to see it. I don't see either team as winning this game "easily".:nod: :nod:

SU Jag
May 1st, 2006, 08:16 PM
Should be a good game and I would love to see it. I don't see either team as winning this game "easily".:nod: :nod:

September 9, right? Sounds like a game that I would love to see!:nod:

alexale23
May 1st, 2006, 08:25 PM
just because i only have 13 post does not mean I dont know 1aa football.
I have been watching 1aa football for over 10 years. I have been to the championship game 6 times and more playoff games than i can count. Jmu will be a very heathly team at the begining of the year and their talent will over come asu. JMU 35 ASU 21

BigDukeDawg
May 1st, 2006, 08:31 PM
as a JMU fan/student/past player, i agree with blur, app state has a great squad comin back and thats not blowin smoke no where. i know theyre loosing like 4 WR's, 2 o-lineman, and a bigtime QB but i'm sure theyre not hurtin for talent. actually, somehow i hope they beat the **** out of LSU cuz i love to see 1A teams lose to 1AA teams anytime... if JMU wins though it sure wont be easy... im not sure who will be the "underdog" in this game but i really dont think it will matter. dont get me wrong ima hate on app state like they are app state; and i hate to sound so jon maddenish but i think this ones going to come down to who makes the least penalties, and dumb mistakes (Offsides, **** like that). Anyways, im excited, ill definately be there for the game and have a keg ready of coors lights best for both JMU & App state fans. (since i have a little love for NC)

alexale23
May 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
clearly u dont know what u are talking about u only have 13 posts.
Nah what ever

yeah the mistakes will determine the winner and loser. I just think that Jmu will make less of them. I will be at this game drinking my bottles of crown and jack getting fd up.
Watching asu go 0-2. Imagine that that nat champs 0-2

ASU Kep
May 1st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Alex is either a very dumb JMU fan or a brilliant ASU fan. :D

AppMan
May 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
The smart money is on none of the above!

We lost a couple of receivers, a starting O-lineman, 2 starting WR's, a couple of LB's, and 2 DL. Most importantly we lost the most prolific QB in ASU history and one of the most dominating DE's to ever play at ASU. Oh yea, they were admired and revered by their teamates on & off the field. Those are losses and that type of leadership can not be overcome very easily. All those guys brought much more to the table than just playing time and that is what I think we will miss the most. However, the cupboard isn't bear by any means. 5 All Americans, and 8 All Southern Conference players return.

I think you'll see a much different offense this year with more emphasis on quick throws on short routes to the backs and less option. Trey doesn't have a strong of an arm as Richie, but he trhows a more catachable deep ball. Richie tended to zip in throws where Trey will drop passes in over coverage. Our O-line has to do a better job because Trey does not have the escapeablilty of Richie. I think Trey will be better at this stage in his career at reading coverages and finding the right guy. We have 8 receivers back plus a transfer from Rhode Island (James Hill) who can be a game breaker, and the number one rated WR recruit in the state of NC last season. On defense we will be bigger, and faster at the LB position with the two replacements having starting experience due to injury last year. Incidently, those two guys led the team in tackles the week they got the start. Both corners, both all conference safeties - one All American & the other honorable mention All American, and two all conference players on defense - one an All American. Our defense may be totally dominant this fall. A transfer punter and a kicker who came on strong during the post season make the special teams look really special.

Still, it takes a lot of good fortune and the ball has to bounce your way an awful lot. If the team can forget about last year and focus on one game ata time. If they can stay away from the big head, not get so wrapped up in individual stats, and avoid injuries.... We ought to be darn good again. But, you just never know. After all we are dealing with 19 & 20 year olds.

blur2005
May 1st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry about the comment on posts, that was out of line on my part. But thinking JMU will easily win a game against Appalachian State in Boone is psycho. I think it will be a very close game and really JMU's rebuilt lines are going to decide whether JMU will be able to win.

mainejeff
May 1st, 2006, 11:37 PM
Maine won in Boone.....and it was a playoff game.

JMU by 10.

rokamortis
May 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
In JMU's favor is that they'll be the underdog and also want to regain some of the respect lost last year. The problem I have with them is that last year they returned a ton of people from their championship team and seemed to have stepped backwards. They return many of the same people again, but get bolstered by some I-A transfers.

ASU now gets the bullseye. They lose a few key players including star Williams. But one thing is certain, they haven't lost a game at home since the playoff loss to Main in 2002. I don't think ASU will be as driven as they were last year, they were a very focused team.

I think it will be a tight game. Both teams should be similar talent wise, maybe JMU has the edge on talent because many of the skill players are seniors.

GGASU
May 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
There is talk of putting in temporary seats for the game. The goal is to bring in 30k to honor the national champs in their first home game.

I don't see JMU scoring on offense. Their defense may get a TD, but it won't chance the outcome. This will be over in the first half.. Mountaineers by 4 TDs

RabidRabbit
May 2nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
:eyebrow: Trying to NOT be a homer :smiley_wi But doesn't a match-up between the last two NC sound like the Game of the Week out of the 1-AA?

th0m
May 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
There is talk of putting in temporary seats for the game. The goal is to bring in 30k to honor the national champs in their first home game.

I don't see JMU scoring on offense. Their defense may get a TD, but it won't chance the outcome. This will be over in the first half.. Mountaineers by 4 TDs

Now there's the other end of the spectrum ;)

RabidRabbit
May 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
:eyebrow: Trying to NOT be a homer :smiley_wi But doesn't a match-up between the last two NC sound like the Game of the Week out of the 1-AA?

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
This game will not be a blowout either way, both teams have solid cores coming back. Trey Elder is not much of a step down from Richie Williams and may be even better in the long run. This game will be packed and LOUD, you can guarantee that. Outlandish score predictions need not apply, it will only serve to make you look stupid and antagonistic, especially if you only been here for 5 minutes

walliver
May 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
App State will not be as good this year as last year, Ritchie Williams made so many key plays in ways that don't show up in stats. Trey Elder is a competent quarterback, but hasn't yet shown that something else that singles out players like Ritchie Williams. But it is still a team with good receivers, a good line, good running backs and a good quarterback. ASU may have some letdown after playing NC State (a game that could possibly win but probably won't - NC State may be bad, but that is bad by BCS standards). I doubt ASU will be looking forward to their next few games (Mars Hill, Gardner-Webb, Elon, Chattanooga)

Played on a neutral site, I would pick ASU by one touchdown. Played in Boone, I pick ASU by two TD's, but not an easy win. ASU is tough at home, in 2004 when ASU went 6-5 including losses to WCU and Chattanooga, they were undefeated at home including wins over Furman and Wofford.

As a sidenote, when visiting the ASU web site to check this year's schedule, I found out that App State is I-A in all non-football sports:confused:

Appalachian fields 10 varsity sports for men and 10 for women, which compete in the Southern Conference NCAA Division I-A (football is I-AA).
http://www.web.appstate.edu/athletics.html

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
ASU is tough at home, in 2004 when ASU went 6-5 including losses to WCU and Chattanooga, they were undefeated at home including wins over Furman and Wofford.

As a sidenote, when visiting the ASU web site to check this year's schedule, I found out that App State is I-A in all non-football sports:confused:

http://www.web.appstate.edu/athletics.html

We were 6-0 at home, 0-5 on the road.

If you are a Division I school, you must be the same in all sports. You can't play I-AA football and D2 in other sports, unless I'm completely missing something

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
8 returning all SoCon players, 5 returning all-americans. This group includes 4 returning o-linemen and a 1400 yard rusher.

The team Maine beat in Boone in 2002 (THREE YEARS AGO) isn't the same team, FYI 75% of them aren't on the team anymore:confused: .

I don't think JMU has more talent, they may be bigger but I doubt they have the speed ASU has.

The only way JMU wins is if they win the turnover battle by 2, which is a concern with Trey at the helm.

It will not be a blowout, ASU by 10. JMU will understand the phrase "Welcome to the Rock" after September 9th, 2006.

OL FU
May 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
Too close to call. and too early to call. But what the heck. ASU wins by a small amount. Everyone will have to wait until the Furman game for ASU to get their first home loss in a while.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Too close to call. and too early to call. But what the heck. ASU wins by a small amount. Everyone will have to wait until the Furman game for ASU to get their first home loss in a while.

that made me LOL

walliver
May 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
If you are a Division I school, you must be the same in all sports. You can't play I-AA football and D2 in other sports, unless I'm completely missing something

The point is that I-A is a football-only term. All other sports are Division I (no A's involved). I know that they probably worded it as they did to avoid the common perception of I-AA Basketball and other sports. I guess if the general population misuses the terms, it may be necessary to use terminology incorrectly to express an idea. Maybe the new name for I-AA, if it actually arrives, will solve that problem.

bandl
May 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
It will not be a blowout, ASU by 10. JMU will understand the phrase "Welcome to the Rock" after September 9th, 2006.

JMU's been to the Rock before...we already learned our lesson! xlolx It's payback time (11 years later...)

blur2005
May 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM

Someone has been drinking too much of the local moonshine...

jmuroller
May 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
I don't think JMU has more talent, they may be bigger but I doubt they have the speed ASU has.

You obviously know NOTHING about JMU. Speed is what we are known for.

bandl
May 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
You obviously know NOTHING about JMU. Speed is what we are known for.
And the giganto O-line...ask Montana.

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
I know ASU has arguably one of the 5 fastest teams in the nation so I doubt JMU can match it. Our DEs, LBs, and DB as well as skill players are all burners.

If you haven't been to an ASU game in 11 years you might not recognize the place, the atmosphere is amazing as far as 1-AA stadiums go.

HiHiYikas
May 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'm just glad to hear this much talk about the game 4 months ahead of time. That's pretty exciting. It's good to hear so much talk about JMU. I wish one or two of the JMU grads I go to school with cared about football.

It's hard to make a prediction. It's May 2. I could see the game looking more like CCU '05 or SoIll '05 than Maine '02.

Intangibles are impossible to quantify, and talk about them is a good escape for people who don't know enough about the facts. That's for sure where I fit, so here's the question - what's bigger, a combination or the "target" on the back of the defending national champ and JMU's underdog status, or the combination of a home winning streak, an intimidating home field, and the first home game for the defending champs?

ButlerGSU
May 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Not knowing much about JMU, I give the nod to App State in this one. They didn't lose a whole lot from a very good team last season.

jmuroller
May 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Saint,

JMU is built around speed. If you think that Appy is going to win the game w/ speed, you need to rethink that. Matthews takes pride in how fast our team is. We play our games on rock hard turf, so we recruit with that in mind. Our offensive line is always huge, but other than that, everybody else is fast, fast, fast. This sometimes hurts us becaue our defensive front is undersized. This always shows in that we constantly have big plays on offense, but I rarely see big plays given up on defense. Year in and year out we are constantly the fastest team in the A10. I always see where it looks like someone's RB has no one around him and can run for days then...boom, out of nowhere someone tackles him for a 2 yard gain. So don't think your speed will be a factor, because we can match it, if not beat it.

I expect this to be a great game. This game will definitely be a measuring stick for both teams. I think our senior leadership will pull us through. Almost all of our skill players are seniors on offense. I can't wait for the game. I have already put in for vacation days on that friday and monday. I want to spend that sunday driving around looking at the scenery in the mountains of Boone.

youwouldno
May 3rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
App St will lose at home eventually. Maybe this year, maybe not. JMU certainly has a chance... senior QB vs. new QB or, more importantly, vs. someone other than Richie Williams.

So far as all this babble about speed... I think it's mostly subjective. App St does prioritize speed over size, no question... since they are a very good team, that means by default they are among the faster I-AA teams. Thing is, "team speed" is kind of irrelevant-- it's matchups that matter. JMU is really a defense-oriented team... they will keep it close, at the least. Whether they can come up with the offense to win is a question that will be settled on the field.

blukeys
May 3rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
Saint,

JMU is built around speed. ......... Year in and year out we are constantly the fastest team in the A10. I always see where it looks like someone's RB has no one around him and can run for days then...boom, out of nowhere someone tackles him for a 2 yard gain. So don't think your speed will be a factor, because we can match it, if not beat it.

Yeah, that is how you guys consistently shut down Omar Cuff. Give me a break, all of the A-10 is fast. I just love watching JMU defenders chasing Omar Cuff from behind and never catching him!!!!!!!

BigDukeDawg
May 3rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
man i cant wait for this game

ASU Kep
May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM
Our freakin' DE's ran a 4.47. Enough said.

bandl
May 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM

Enough said???...How so? You provided one time, for one side, of one team. Pretty subjective reasoning there, don't you think? xidiotx

rokamortis
May 3rd, 2006, 07:09 AM
what's bigger, a combination or the "target" on the back of the defending national champ and JMU's underdog status, or the combination of a home winning streak, an intimidating home field, and the first home game for the defending champs?

Let's look at the defending national champs for the last 5 years and try to quantify it.

2000 Champ Georgia Southern went 12-2 in 2001. Bullseye not a problem.

2001 Champ Montana went 11-3 in 2002. Bullseye not a problem.

2002 Champ Western Kentucky went 9-4 in 2003.

2003 Champ Delaware went 9-4 in 2004.

2004 Champ James Madison went 7-4 in 2005.

So it appears that being national champions shouldn't hurt you. All of the teams except JMU still had pretty good seasons and made the playoffs I believe.

I do think that you will get the best shot of other teams. I also think losing Williams is going to hurt more than most ASU fans want to admit. But are those reasons enough to lose? I don't know, but it should be an exciting game.

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Rok,
CCU played JMU and ASU back to back who would you say had the fastest squad?

rokamortis
May 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Rok,
CCU played JMU and ASU back to back who would you say had the fastest squad?

Well ... ASU just plain whooped us and ran by us like we were standing still. ASU was fast, no question about it and certainly faster than JMU demonstrated in our game. But how it will look on 2006 is anybody's guess.

OL FU
May 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
My experience with JMU in 2004 was they had worn us down by the fourth quarter. I am not saying JMU was not fast but the O-line which had only small success in the first three quarters, walked over us in the last one.

jmuroller
May 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
My experience with JMU in 2004 was they had worn us down by the fourth quarter. I am not saying JMU was not fast but the O-line which had only small success in the first three quarters, walked over us in the last one.

The winning drive against you guys was a thing of beautry. And we passed every play.

jmuroller
May 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

Kevin Winston runs a 4.5.

jmuroller
May 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, that is how you guys consistently shut down Omar Cuff. Give me a break, all of the A-10 is fast. I just love watching JMU defenders chasing Omar Cuff from behind and never catching him!!!!!!!

Omar Cuff is one the only running backs that has had success against us. I will rephrase and say year after year we are ONE of the fastest teams in the A10.

BigDukeDawg
May 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Didnt feel too confident with the o-line last year, this year i think its a lil different story, i know were losing magerko course u cant replace him, but eason is good, and im tellin u scott lemn is gon be the key guy that we didnt have much of last year... and winston is one of the fastest d-line ive ever seen..

MYTAPPY
May 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
The Rock will be Rockin' on the 9th. 18 wins in a row at home is pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to tailgating with the JMU folk. Much respect and much beers to be consumed. A little advise to the JMU bunch, get there early so you can get a good spot for tailgating. Raley Lot is where its at. As for the game. ASU by a touchdown late. Kevin Richardson has another breakout game.
GO APP!!

alexale23
May 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Both jmu and asu i feel got a little lucky winning the NC. I tought texas st was the best team last year and would have easily beat asu if the coach didnot sit on the ball and run the clock out for ot. Their qb was a beast asu would not have stopped him. Anyway on the game

Rascati is going to be very tough to beat in his senoir year.
And we all know he can play on the road.
For u people who did not see the JMU Montana NC game.( I was there)
Rascati took the game over and made several key TD and first down runs. Diving for the end zone. It was sick. Rascati will be the difference in this game. JMU will win this game by 2 touchdown 35-21

rokamortis
May 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
ASU didn't get lucky - they pretty much dominated all season long.

alexale23
May 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
yeah thats RIght they did dominate CCU didnt they!

blukeys
May 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Omar Cuff is one the only running backs that has had success against us. I will rephrase and say year after year we are ONE of the fastest teams in the A10.

LOL!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I was just giving you a hard time. JMU has more than enough speed to hang with App. State. Since 1997 all of the A-10 has upgraded their speed in all positions significantly. I love watching GSU fans throw out their 40 times and then watch how their d backs can't cover anyone. ASU will be a quality team and should be favored to win at home but it won't due to team speed.

jmuroller
May 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
LOL!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I was just giving you a hard time. JMU has more than enough speed to hang with App. State. Since 1997 all of the A-10 has upgraded their speed in all positions significantly. I love watching GSU fans throw out their 40 times and then watch how their d backs can't cover anyone. ASU will be a quality team and should be favored to win at home but it won't due to team speed.

Don't you know that football was invented in the deep south:nono: :bow:

alexale23
May 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
shoot harrison"meth"burg is the deffinition of country

blur2005
May 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
shoot harrison"meth"burg is the deffinition of country
Having lived in Harrisonburg my entire life, I'm going to go ahead and say Boone and its surrounding area is more country than Harrisonburg/Rockingham County, which means it's pretty country.

eaglesrthe1
May 4th, 2006, 02:25 AM
The Rock will be Rockin' on the 9th. 18 wins in a row at home is pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to tailgating with the JMU folk. Much respect and much beers to be consumed. A little advise to the JMU bunch, get there early so you can get a good spot for tailgating. Raley Lot is where its at. As for the game. ASU by a touchdown late. Kevin Richardson has another breakout game.
GO APP!!

Mere child's play.:rolleyes: Do 36 in a row, then to show that it wasn't a fluke...turn around and do 38.:cool:

MYTAPPY
May 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Having lived in Harrisonburg my entire life, I'm going to go ahead and say Boone and its surrounding area is more country than Harrisonburg/Rockingham County, which means it's pretty country.

Boone is not as country as you may lead to believe Blur. You'll be very suprosed when you get there.

bandl
May 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Boone is not as country as you may lead to believe Blur. You'll be very suprosed when you get there.

Been there several times, lived in Harrisonburg for several years....Boone and its' surroundings are MUCH more country than the 'Burg, no doubt about it. Not to say that's a bad thing...it's beautiful in Western Carolina. :nod:

MYTAPPY
May 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Been there several times, lived in Harrisonburg for several years....Boone and its' surroundings are MUCH more country than the 'Burg, no doubt about it. Not to say that's a bad thing...it's beautiful in Western Carolina. :nod:

You must have not visited Boone recently. It is amazing the way that town has grown. Boone is booming. They don't call it the "Heart of the High Country" for nothing. Ane you're right....it is very beautiful.

bandl
May 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
You must have not visited Boone recently. It is amazing the way that town has grown. Boone is booming. They don't call it the "Heart of the High Country" for nothing. Ane you're right....it is very beautiful.

Has it boomed since March of '05? Boone must employ the fastest construction and development companies in the country if it's boomed in the past 13 months.

MYTAPPY
May 4th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Has it boomed since March of '05? Boone must employ the fastest construction and development companies in the country if it's boomed in the past 13 months.

I graduated from there in '99. Over the past seven years construction has gone on like crazy and continues too. Not just with the University, all over Boone.

Mr. C
May 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Both jmu and asu i feel got a little lucky winning the NC. I tought texas st was the best team last year and would have easily beat asu if the coach didnot sit on the ball and run the clock out for ot. Their qb was a beast asu would not have stopped him. Anyway on the game

Rascati took the game over and made several key TD and first down runs. Diving for the end zone. It was sick. Rascati will be the difference in this game. JMU will win this game by 2 touchdown 35-21
ASU was hoping that Texas State would win, because the Mountaineers knew they could beat the Cats. Appalachian beat basically the same Texas State squad 41-34 the previous year in Trey Elder's first start at QB. ASU held its own against Nealy the previous year with a subpar defense (TSU actually scored a late TD to make it seem like a more respectable game, ASU controlled the action throughout). Nealy, as good as he was, didn't face a pair of DEs like Murrell and Hunter last year. In most people's opinions, Texas State was probably the fourth best team of the semifinalists. The Cats easily could have and should have lost in the first round, but for Georgia Southern's monumental collapse, and the Cats barely squeeked out a win over a good Cal Poly team. Lucky? Don't think so. Even with injuries, ASU proved it was the best team in 2005.

alexale23
May 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
they certainly did prove that they where the best team i just think texas state would have won against asu.u cannot compare games past. Nealy was a senior and very hard to stop. I think it was in the 1st round of the playoff when he took off for 80 yards on the first play or drive of the game. That was one of the most dominating runs i saw all year including vince young against ok st.
Anyway Jmu will prove their might over asu the second week of the season. JMU will come in this game undefeated while ASU will be 0-1.
JMU will make them 0-2

MYTAPPY
May 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
they certainly did prove that they where the best team i just think texas state would have won against asu.u cannot compare games past. Nealy was a senior and very hard to stop. I think it was in the 1st round of the playoff when he took off for 80 yards on the first play or drive of the game. That was one of the most dominating runs i saw all year including vince young against ok st.
Anyway Jmu will prove their might over asu the second week of the season. JMU will come in this game undefeated while ASU will be 0-1.
JMU will make them 0-2

There was another great running quarterback last year that juked people out of thier jock straps. His name was Richie Williams.

th0m
May 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I think undefeated is kind of a big word with a hypothetical "W" over D2 Bloomsburg, but I'll take it...

blur2005
May 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
JMU will make them 0-2
Good thing this website is probably never used for bulletin board material.

But I do hope you're right.

DTSpider
May 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Tim Hightower has a pretty good game as well. Over 100 yards plus 2 TD's. Very different than Cuff in that Hightower is a big back, actually was the fullback to start the year.

JMU is definitely fast on defense. I'd agree with the assessment they got for speed over size in every position but the O-line. Last year it appeared that the d-line wasn't strong enough to hold up blockers to let the LB's make plays. The O-line didn't blow people off the ball like the year before. If JMU can bring the line play back up they can be one of the best teams in the country. Should be a good one in Boone.

Mr. C
May 5th, 2006, 01:11 AM
they certainly did prove that they where the best team i just think texas state would have won against asu.u cannot compare games past. Nealy was a senior and very hard to stop.
Sure you can compare previous games. Do you not think that ASU and Texas State would have been dissecting the previous year's game film, if they had met in the championship game? Northern Iowa was much better defensively than Texas State. Texas State gave up a lot of points in the playoffs, outside of the game against Cal Poly, which didn't have as many offensive weapons as the other top teams in the playoffs. ASU could have exploited the Bobcat secondary, just like it did against Southern Illinois and just like it did against TSU in 2004. ASU beat Texas State in 2004 and was much better defensively in 2005. This unit played against a similar QB, Richie Williams in practice every day. They contained Nealy in 2004 and would have done so again in 2005.

carney2
May 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM

The AGS Top 25 Poll requires each respondent to answer "Most Significant Win" and "Most Significant Loss" questions each week. For the weekend that includes September 9th, this could be the answer to both questions. It is hard to believe that there is a bigger early season game in I-AA this year.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
The AGS Top 25 Poll requires each respondent to answer "Most Significant Win" and "Most Significant Loss" questions each week. For the weekend that includes September 9th, this could be the answer to both questions. It is hard to believe that there is a bigger early season game in I-AA this year.

unless a I-AA teams upsets a I-A team

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Not to harp on Rascati, but most of the people here saw the NC game when they played Montana and most people will be hard pressed to say that Rascati took the game over - that is, unless he was one of the guys on the offensive line who were ripping huge gaping holes through the Montana defense - JMU won the game by dominating the line of scrimmage and chewing up huge chunks of yardage on the ground. Heck, I could've run through the holes they were making. Rascati played well, but he wasn't the difference maker that night.

bandl
May 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Not to harp on Rascati, but most of the people here saw the NC game when they played Montana and most people will be hard pressed to say that Rascati took the game over - that is, unless he was one of the guys on the offensive line who were ripping huge gaping holes through the Montana defense - JMU won the game by dominating the line of scrimmage and chewing up huge chunks of yardage on the ground. Heck, I could've run through the holes they were making. Rascati played well, but he wasn't the difference maker that night.

Don't underestimate the worth of a player who doesn't ***** up a game....like, perhaps, slipping and fumbling the ball away ala a certain Furmie QB???? ( :D ) Rascati wasn't a huge playmaker in the NC by any means, but he did make some key plays when JMU needed him to, and he didn't make any stupid mistakes.

GannonFan
May 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Don't underestimate the worth of a player who doesn't ***** up a game....like, perhaps, slipping and fumbling the ball away ala a certain Furmie QB???? ( :D ) Rascati wasn't a huge playmaker in the NC by any means, but he did make some key plays when JMU needed him to, and he didn't make any stupid mistakes.

No argument there - but let's not make him out to be the difference maker in that game - five guys up front were clearly the difference in that game for JMU.

GaSouthern
May 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
They can't win in the rock, its hard for ANYONE to win at the rock.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
They can't win in the rock, its hard for ANYONE to win at the rock.

can't is a strong word, more like it will be very difficult

GaSouthern
May 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
i'm sorry, but the crowd's effect there is as strong as gsu's has ever been, ASU wins by at least 1 score, richie will be missed this year though

alexale23
May 5th, 2006, 03:56 PM
1st off jmu can win anywhere and win. They are avery good road team. Whatever advantage asu thinks they have by playing at home will be exposed early as a falacy. Second the O line for jmu was the difference maker in the NC but but Rascati made the plays that kept the momentum on 3rd and 4th downs. He kept the ball out off the hands of Montana offense. He was the leader on the field that kept Jmu running attack pushing foward.
I know ASU has a lot of good players coming back but i also think they lost to much leadership to win this game.

ASU will GU 0-TU

Appstate29
May 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
1st off jmu can win anywhere and win. :confused: thats just downright confusing

no, seriously, JMU has a good squad, but you can't underestimate a good home winning streak by just saying you can play anywhere. I believe theres going to be around 24-27k in attendence for this game, pending weather. That tops out at over 2x the capacity of JMU's stadium! JMU's players know they are going into a hostile environment. They can try to put the past behind them but they have it in the back of their heads, that a team that beat them last year, came in and got obliterated 30-3, at the half.
Having said that, we did lose some great players, our best offense and defensive players in fact. However, this is college and every year you are going to lose some great players, and chances are they are going to be your best b/c of leadership and experience. You just have to re-load, and thats what ASU is doing this year.

Trey Elder is no Richie Williams, thats true. But he was Mr. Football in South Carolina, has started regular season games, led us to victory in a semi-final game, and started a nat'l championship. He has an experienced O-line and a great running back, and some of the best recievers in I-AA. I couldn't ask for more to inhereit a starting role.

On defense, Marques Murrell is Jason Hunter all over again, and he is going to DOMINATE this year. Hes a complete freak of nature, I had a class last year with him, and hes so unassuming, until he gets out of the field. Jason Hunters replacement has yet to be decided, but i think some of our young players are going to raise some eyebrows, including one young man that is 260 pounds and is reported to be able to a stand-still backflip. We have a very talented secondary with all its starters returning and a great linebacking crew with a few new faces. All in all, I think we are going to be just fine...

that being said, this game is going to be tough, and we'd be stupid to take it lightly, and I can't wait to listen to it on the radio (i'm going to be out of the country), so everyone get ready, because its going to be AWESOME! oh and if i were giving a prediction i'd say 24-17 ASU, we aren't going to be scoring as much points this year, from the looks of the spring game....

rokamortis
May 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
1st off jmu can win anywhere and win. They are avery good road team. Whatever advantage asu thinks they have by playing at home will be exposed early as a falacy. Second the O line for jmu was the difference maker in the NC but but Rascati made the plays that kept the momentum on 3rd and 4th downs. He kept the ball out off the hands of Montana offense. He was the leader on the field that kept Jmu running attack pushing foward.
I know ASU has a lot of good players coming back but i also think they lost to much leadership to win this game.

ASU will GU 0-TU

Wow.

I'm not much of an ASU fan but you need to give them some credit. They have 3 years of undefeated seasons at home - their home streak may not last forever but it certainly isn't a fallacy.

Rascatti is a very good QB - but didn't he lead a 7-4 team last year?

bandl
May 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I LOVE THIS *****!!!!

No....wait....

I HATE THIS *****!!!!

Here's a thought though...

THE DAMN GAME IS OVER FOUR MONTHS AWAY!!!

No a single person has any clue what is going to happen in this game. : smh : The BEST we can hope for is a good game. :nod:

Until then...everyone is just blowing hot air. :rotateh: (I was too earlier, but then I had that thought...see above)

MountaineerDrive
May 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Our one weakness may be in the center of our defensive line. If JMU's offensive line is big enough they may be able to control the line of scrimmage and win a low scoring brawl. However, I doubt it. Our secondary and linebacking corps are ridiculously deep this year. If these receivers are as explosive as they are supposed to be they will more than compensate for Richie in the passing game and our O-line should be as good or better than last year. Plus, Kevin Richardson is one of the best running backs in the nation, Trey Hennesse is developing, and Trey may prove to be on of the best QBs in I-AA with a full camp with the first team. THE ROCK rocks, James Madison CAN certainly win there. Anyone who knows about I-AA football respects them, but we just won the national championship with essentially the same squad and without a healthy Richie. We really shouldn't be picked to lose any games other than NC State, and it wouldn't suprise me to win that. (Or lose ones we are predicted to win to Furmie, Chatty, GSU, JMU, or god forbid WCU). Your predictions of a JMU victory could come true, but they are uninformed and way off base. If I was in JMUs shoes I'd be a little worried about getting embarrassed, because THE ROCK can make you look worse than you are. It seems only Furman and Lafayette have managed to hold together here lately. But once again, I wouldn't be suprised to see JMU be as good or better than Appalachian next year, no one expected much out of us last year. It's just Kidd Brewer is a TOUGH place to play, especially with the spotlight on you.

rokamortis
May 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
No a single person has any clue what is going to happen in this game. : smh : The BEST we can hope for is a good game. :nod:

Until then...everyone is just blowing hot air. :rotateh: (I was too earlier, but then I had that thought...see above)

Aren't you describing pretty much 100% of what goes on here?

MountaineerDrive
May 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Exactly, Rokamortis. If thinking about App St. football all twelve months of the year is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

blur2005
May 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Aren't you describing pretty much 100% of what goes on here?
Shhhh...people will realize that and then have nothing to say, taking all the fun away...

alexale23
May 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
who cares if the game is 4 months away. My mouth will be running that whole time. This right here could be the best game of the year and in only the second week.

ANy1 know of any good hotels in boone? I wish ther was a big city closer than 2 hours away who wants to spend the weekend in boone. The panthers r playing atlanta sunday.

MountaineerDrive
May 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I know I"m a homer but I can't think of any other place I'd rather spend an average weekend. It'll be beautiful that time of year barring rain. And at night if you're into it the bars will be full of quality, if you catch my meaning. Other than that I'm glad to see you're a Panthers fan. I won't disagree with any outrageous predictions you want to make for them. I personally think they'll win the Super Bowl this year by at least 70 points. Ha, ha. But anyway, Boone is a tourist town so we have a high proportion of hotels to the size of our population. Some of them very, very nice.

jmuroller
May 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM
That time of year, Harrisonburg and Boone are basically as beautiful as you can get. With the surrouding mountains and turning of the leaves, you can't but just love being outside. Add football to that and and you have a perfect weekend.

Appstate29
May 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
ANy1 know of any good hotels in boone??

alexale23,
alex,alex,alex. The best hotel in Boone hands down, is the Elk Motel coming into Boone on highway 321. It has a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside, luxurious rooms, and a helpful staff. I don't know anything of your means, but the price is pretty steep. However, I would suggest it and give it my upmost recommendation.

HiHiYikas
May 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
ANy1 know of any good hotels in boone??

alexale23,
alex,alex,alex. The best hotel in Boone hands down, is the Elk Motel coming into Boone on highway 321. It has a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside, luxurious rooms, and a helpful staff. I don't know anything of your means, but the price is pretty steep. However, I would suggest it and give it my upmost recommendation.
xlolx xlolx

MYTAPPY
May 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
ANy1 know of any good hotels in boone? I wish ther was a big city closer than 2 hours away who wants to spend the weekend in boone. The panthers r playing atlanta sunday.

We have plenty of nice hotels in Boone. Hampton Inn on 105. Farfield Inn on Blowing Rock Road. Quality Inn at 321/105. Holiday Inn Express. Comfort Suites,etc.........

You don't want to miss the bar seen in Boone. Plenty to do. For dinner, I would reccomend, "the library", only three words describe this place...."catholic school girls"

SoCon48
May 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
We have plenty of nice hotels in Boone. Hampton Inn on 105. Farfield Inn on Blowing Rock Road. Quality Inn at 321/105. Holiday Inn Express. Comfort Suites,etc.........

You don't want to miss the bar seen in Boone. Plenty to do. For dinner, I would reccomend, "the library", only three words describe this place...."catholic school girls"

You better book now or forget it. They fill up fast. I've already booked mine for homecoming on Sept 30.

Appstate29
May 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Quality Inn at 321/105.

the University bought that and is turning it into a dorm. Also there are at least 3 or 4 brand new hotels coming up right now, a lot on 421/105 i've seen. That one on 321 in Blowing Rock, Greenway Inn, Greenpark Inn??? whatever it is, is a really really nice one.

SoCon48
May 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Quality Inn at 321/105.

the University bought that and is turning it into a dorm. Also there are at least 3 or 4 brand new hotels coming up right now, a lot on 421/105 i've seen. That one on 321 in Blowing Rock, Greenway Inn, Greenpark Inn??? whatever it is, is a really really nice one.

GreenPark Inn is a resort Hotel. Rates push the $200 a night mark in peak season.

HiHiYikas
May 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I grew up 30 miles from campus, and my parents are still there. I stay with them when I go home for games. If I were actually traveling to the area though, I'd be inclined to stay in Blowing Rock instead of Boone. It's bound to be pricier, though.

Pard4Life
May 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM
What time is this game? I hope it is at night...

..and I hope CSTV picks it up.

MYTAPPY
May 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM
What time is this game? I hope it is at night...

..and I hope CSTV picks it up.

It will most likely be at 3:30. All of our regular season home games last year were at 3:30.

Saint3333
May 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM
The kickoff time for this game as well as the Furman game will likely depend on which TV station picks up game.