PDA

View Full Version : Asheville Columnist Keith Jarrett: Time for Changes at Western Carolina

Appaholic
October 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Before the start of the 2011 football season, new Western Carolina Chancellor David O. Belcher said he was going to evaluate the program in order to identify ways of improving the mess it has been for several years.

Hope he stocked up on pens — at this point he must be running out of red ink.
To the surprise of no one who knows the recent history and still cares enough to be paying attention, Catamounts’ football has assumed the position again.
That position is last in the Southern Conference, getting smeared on an almost weekly basis by teams it should be competitive with.
And — while failing to provide either current evidence or future expectation that the situation has the potential to get better — the program is once again ranked among the worst of the nation’s 120 FCS teams.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111021/SPORTS/310210043/Asheville-columnist-Keith-Jarrett-Time-changes-Western-Carolina?odyssey=mod|mostview

Cats4life
October 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think that we will see both Wagner and our A.D. Chip Smith get the axe at the end of the season. Chancellor Belcher sounds like he is seriously interested in turning this football program around but only time will tell

Smitty
October 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Two really good articles this week in the Asheville Citizen times. If I had to choose one or the other this year, first choice would be Chip Smith then Wagner next year. That of course is if I had to only pick one.

catamount man
October 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Can't argue with Jarrett at all on this one. MAJOR OVERHAUL needed in our athletic dept.

catamount man
October 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM
I personally like Chip Smith and consider him a friend, but under his watch (2004-present), WCU football is 20-62. OUCH!

GaSouthern
October 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hire Mike Sewak, I know you won't and for that i'm glad!

asknoquarter21
October 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM
You need to hire a Triple Option coach

That way playing the triple option would become the norm in the socon.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:28 AM
You need to hire a Triple Option coach

That way playing the triple option would become the norm in the socon.

If you want to learn more about the Southern Conference and the triple option, here is a great history lesson for you:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?272-There-Is-Nothing-New-Under-The-SoCon-Sun

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hire Mike Sewak, I know you won't and for that i'm glad!

I would love to see Mike Sewak as a head coach again. I'm not so sure that Georgia Southern would want to face him, however.