PDA

View Full Version : Latest update on Fighting Sioux Nickname Issue

darell1976
October 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/218789/

Sen. Tim Mathern, D-Fargo, said today that he has a bill ready for the November special session of the Legislature that would repeal the UND Fighting Sioux nickname law adopted earlier this year.

Repeal would take effect on Dec. 1, according to the bill draft filed with the Legislative Council.

Mathern said he expects a repeal bill will pass.

“I think the general sentiment is yes, this will be repealed,” he said. “I think it will pass at a higher level in the Senate. It probably is going to be more difficult in the House, but I believe it will pass there as well.

Al Carlson-R Fargo who led the fight to save the Sioux name with his bill is a Representative of the house. Sen. Mathern's district is in South Fargo right next to Rep. Al Carlson's. Should make for interesting voting in that part of Fargo.

I say pass it, change the name and MOVE ON!!!

darell1976
November 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
According to WDAZ News on Facebook:

UND President Robert Kelley announced today at his state of the university speech that the school will be using the 'flame' logo until 2015. #sioux #UND

Here is a pic of the flame logo.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/FCS/flame.png

The logo represents the eternal flame that is on the campus.

Also: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/221627/

The men’s hockey team — the university’s marquee sports attraction — will continue to take the ice wearing the familiar name and logo into February, as replacement jerseys won’t arrive until then.

The hockey team “will continue to wear Fighting Sioux jerseys until February,” he said, but he declined to describe the replacement jerseys in detail.
“They will certainly have ‘North Dakota’ on them,” he said, and the interlocking ND has been on the jerseys for some time.
“We’ll be at the tail end of our season then, and we’ll make the switch when we’ve got the new ones. And we have to have them for NCAA post-season play.”

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm pulling for the North Dakota "Fighting Lakota". One side of the stadium "Dakota", the other responds "Lakota". It could be sweet.

Do you think the ncaa will let that slide... maybe they won't notice.

darell1976
November 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm pulling for the North Dakota "Fighting Lakota". One side of the stadium "Dakota", the other responds "Lakota". It could be sweet.

I think UND should just have DAKOTA on their jerseys like at North Carolina.

Twentysix
November 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM

The Nakota's are gonna get their panties in a jumble if they do that.

For non dakotans. Yes the Natives from around here are the Lakota Dakota and Nakota.

Jayjord
November 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
So what's the deal with the hockey arena? Do they have to get rid of the thousands of Sioux logos throughout?

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I think its time for an injunction to remove the Sioux headed Nickel from Darell's signature...just sayin' :D

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Who cares, this nickname deal is the ONLY way they can get in the news, heck knows they cant any other way.

Also a Flame when their fraternity got shut down for flaming marijuana??

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Who cares, this nickname deal is the ONLY way they can get in the news, heck knows they cant any other way.

Also a Flame when their fraternity got shut down for flaming marijuana??

You mean when one guy got in trouble for dealing who just happened to live in a fraternity?

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yea, and NO ONE else was involved, shut up if your that naive.
Next youll say the hockey guy danny kristo doesnt like licking snow in the ditch.

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I hear they are working on a constitutional amendment ballot initiative.

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
I think UND should just have DAKOTA on their jerseys like at North Carolina.

I think that would look cool, but I'm not aware of North Carolina doing this. South Carolina has it on their football jerseys and i believe baseball as well. It makes them feel better than their big brother. xlolx

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Next youll say the hockey guy danny kristo doesnt like licking snow in the ditch.
My house had a guy dealing around 2004-2005, he'd even turned his dresser into a mini grow room. Noone had a clue until he disappeared in the middle of the night over christmas break.

Danny kristo is the loser that got in a bar fight with a bouncer and walked 3 miles home in sandals in january and almost lost both his feet, right?

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Nah, I thought he went to some chicks apt drunk and she shut him down and made him leave so.he hastily left without a shoe

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Nah, I thought he went to some chicks apt drunk and she shut him down and made him leave so.he hastily left without a shoe

That may have been after he got kicked out. We has wearing sandals.

SDFS
November 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM

Lakes - three pages of traffic violations in the state of minnesota - impressive!!

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I got a 77 in 55 a month ago, woo hoo lets party!!

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
You Dakota folks have a whole different set of issues.xrotatehx

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
You Dakota folks have a whole different set of issues.xrotatehx

Nah that's just Grand Forks. They drink Fargo's ***** from the river (literally) and get all loopy and stuff.