PDA

View Full Version : I don't wanna say i told you so...........

Retro
May 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't wanna say i told you so, but.................... I TOLD YOU SO!

As i predicted last year when CSTV signed more contracts with I-A Football conferences, that they would begin to squeeze more I-AA games out of the picture.. According to this press release, we will be lucky to get 7 or 8 games on there this season...

CSTV Networks Announces 2006 Football Schedule

FEATURING MORE GAMES AND MORE ELITE TEAMS THAN EVER BEFORE

April 19, 2006

NEW YORK - CSTV Networks announced its 2006 NCAA national football schedule today, which includes its strongest slate of games to date and features several fierce rivalries and elite collegiate programs. Notre Dame, the most storied program in the history of college football, will make its first-ever appearance on CSTV: College Sports Television this season when the Fighting Irish travel to Colorado Springs to take on Air Force on Saturday, November 11. The schedule also includes thrilling in-state rivalries, Colorado at Colorado State on Saturday, September 9 and the University of South Florida (USF) vs. the University of Central Florida (UCF) on Saturday, September 16.

The 45-game schedule announced today by Tim Pernetti, CSTV's Senior Vice President of Programming and Talent, kicks off on Thursday, August 31 with Conference USA's (C-USA) UTEP at the Mountain West Conference's (MWC) San Diego State. The schedule also includes games involving schools from C-USA, the MWC, as well as all Navy home games and several Division I-AA match-ups.

* The 2006 CSTV NCAA Football Schedule is included below.

"We are excited that between our national network and The mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network, our new super regional network - we will televise all of the top Mountain West Conference games as well as provide Navy and Conference USA fans another exciting year of programming that features extensive coverage both on and off the field," Pernetti said. "To have games the magnitude of Notre Dame-Air Force and Colorado-Colorado State is a clear indicator that CSTV has made tremendous gains as a national presence in just our third year of football programming."

Other key games on the schedule include two in-state match-ups featuring Texas Tech. The Red Raiders, who will also make their first CSTV appearance this season, will be playing at UTEP on September 9 and at TCU on September 16. Navy, with consecutive bowl wins and 18 wins in the last two years, again highlights CSTV's schedule. The Midshipmen will clash with Air Force on Saturday, October 7 and host a revived Rutgers squad on Saturday, October 14. The Conference USA slate features top notch conference and non-conference games including Oklahoma State at Houston on September 23, and Central Florida at Memphis on November 11.

For the fourth consecutive year, the schedule will round out, with a Division I-AA and Historically Black Colleges and Universities showcase of eight games.

CSTV will again complement its football telecasts with extensive pre and post game coverage and original weekly programming, in addition to a plethora of features and additional content through CSTV.com and CSTV.com XXL, the network's subscription broadband product.

About CSTV Networks
CSTV Networks, Inc., now part of the CBS Corporation, is the leading digital and cable programming company dedicated to college sports. Connecting more fans to more college sports than any other company, its many platforms for programming distribution include CSTV: College Sports TV, televising regular-season and championship events for 35 men's and women's college sports; CSTV.com and its network of more than 250 official athletic sites; CSTV All Access, broadband services providing live audio and video of more than 7,000 events annually; as well as satellite television and radio, in-flight entertainment, wireless networks and more. Further information is available at www.CSTV.com.

Media Contact:
Keith Marder, CSTV Networks, Inc., 212 342-8743
[email protected]

CSTV 2006 NCAA Football Schedule
Date Game Time (ET)
8/31 (Thurs) UTEP @ San Diego State 10:30 PM
9/2 Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 1:00 PM
East Carolina @ Navy 5:30 PM
Houston @ Rice 9:00 PM
9/7 (Thurs) Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 8:00 PM
9/9 UMass @ Navy 1:30 PM
Colorado @ Colorado St. 5:00 PM
Texas Tech @ UTEP 9:00 PM
9/14 (Thurs) Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 8:00 PM
9/16 USF @ UCF 2:30 PM
Texas Tech @ TCU 6:30 PM
9/23 Tulsa @ Navy 1:30 PM
UTEP @ New Mexico 5:00 PM
Oklahoma St. @ Houston 9:00 PM
9/28 (Thurs) BYU @ TCU 7:00 PM
9/30 Division I-AA Game To Be Determined TBD
SMU @ Tulane 9:00 PM
10/5 (Thurs) TCU @ Utah 9:00 PM
10/7 Navy @ Air Force 2:00 PM
Virginia @ East Carolina 6:00 PM
Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 9:30 PM
10/12 (Thurs) Colorado St. @ Air Force 8:00 PM
10/14 Rutgers @ Navy 1:30 PM
UAB @ Rice 6:00 PM
New Mexico @ UNLV 10:00 PM
10/21 Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 12:00 PM
Colorado St. @ Wyoming 4:00 PM
Tulsa @ Memphis 8:00 PM
10/28 Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 12:00 PM
UNLV @ Utah 4:00 PM
East Carolina @ Southern Miss 8:00 PM
11/4 Division I-AA Game To Be Determined 12:00 PM
San Diego St. @ Wyoming 4:00 PM
Tulane @ Marshall 8:00 PM
11/9 Wyoming @ BYU 8:00 PM
11/11 Notre Dame @ Air Force 4:00 PM
UCF @ Memphis 8:00 PM
11/18 Temple @ Navy 12:30 PM
Mountain West Conference Game TBD 4:00 PM
UAB @ Southern Miss 8:00 PM
11/24 (Fri.) Air Force @ UNLV 7:00 PM
11/25 Division I-AA Playoff Game To Be Determined 12:00 PM
BYU @ Utah 3:30 PM
Conference USA Game TBD 7:30 PM
*12/2 Air Force @ TCU 4:30 PM
Colorado St. @ San Diego St. 8:00 PM
*One of these games will be broadcast on CSTV: College Sports Television
All dates and game times subject to change

MACHIAVELLI
May 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Thursday night lights

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Elite programs, my arse! How they could heap such praise on the Mountain West, Conference-USA and other also-rans is beyond me. CSTV must stand for Consistently S****y TV! :mad: :nonono2: xidiotx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM
FEATURING MORE GAMES AND MORE ELITE TEAMS THAN EVER BEFORE

11/18 Temple @ Navy 12:30 PM
Mountain West Conference Game TBD 4:00 PM
UAB @ Southern Miss 8:00 PM

No Harvard/Yale?
Lehigh/Lafayette?
Montana/Montana State?

2 Thursday I-AA games, 5 mid-season games, and 1 I-AA playoff game. Of course, last year they dropped their I-AA playoff game, so fat chance of getting that one on. Clearly, Temple/Navy is seen as bigger than Harvard/Yale. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for "more elite teams", unless you call Colorado and Oklahoma State "elite", they're living in a crack-pipe world.

May 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Date Game Time (ET)

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
No Harvard/Yale?
Lehigh/Lafayette?
Montana/Montana State?

2 Thursday I-AA games, 5 mid-season games, and 1 I-AA playoff game. Of course, last year they dropped their I-AA playoff game, so fat chance of getting that one on. Clearly, Temple/Navy is seen as bigger than Harvard/Yale. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for "more elite teams", unless you call Colorado and Oklahoma State "elite", they're living in a crack-pipe world.

That's right, LFN: no I-AA game on Rivalry Saturday (11/18) on CSTV. SMFH!:confused: :(

catamount man
May 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Date Game Time (ET)

Damn shame. Do people HATE I-AA this much?! My God, all it is is young men with the same hopes and dreams that their I-A counterparts have and the will to win is the same. I don't get this nation, from politics all the way down to sports. Just pisses me off!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

kats89
May 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Elite programs, my arse! How they could heap such praise on the Mountain West, Conference-USA and other also-rans is beyond me. CSTV must stand for Consistently S****y TV! :mad: :nonono2: xidiotx

I agree. Houston and Rice. Now there is two powerhouses.
SMU & Tulane, another barn burner.

TexasTerror
May 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM
Now that I know this, I'm tempted not to buy the Sports Package on DirectTV...

Well, I guess it may be worth it if I can watch all the FOX regionals to catch some more I-AA games, but CSTV isn't heading in the right direction as it relates to I-AA football...

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
CSTV is not a charity. If the MWC can broker a deal with the network, good for them.

Maybe if I-AA conferences did a better job of marketing themselves, they'd work a deal too.

mainejeff
May 1st, 2006, 07:16 PM
CBS runs the show now....what did you expect?

Honestly, I'd rather see all of those TBDs than see a weak schedule of I-AA games like last season. Maybe they'll take AGS Game of the Week votes into account ;).

Ronbo
May 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM
How much have they cut back? How many CSTV I-AA games were there in 2004 and how many did they show in 2005?

May 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
How much have they cut back? How many CSTV I-AA games were there in 2004 and how many did they show in 2005?They have an 8 game deal with I-AA. I think it was a four year deal that expires after next year.

Ronbo
May 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
What do you expect after the contract expires. None or a couple?

May 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Not much. They did I-AA to get off the ground and now that they have deals with several I-A conferences they will fly with that. ESPNU has sucked a lot of wind from their sails and then CBS bought them out. Major media=I-A marketing machines.

bigtyme2
May 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Seems like all of the 1-aa games will be HBCU's (I know there looking at Southern-Bethune Cookman) for Sept 2.

peaster68
May 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
ESPN needs to come out with a channel called "ESPN 1-AA" so they could televise ONLY D1-AA games. It would be great to have some tv time plus it would be nationwide.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2006, 07:30 AM
ESPN needs to come out with a channel called "ESPN 1-AA" so they could televise ONLY D1-AA games. It would be great to have some tv time plus it would be nationwide.

NEVER HAPPEN

walliver
May 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Like many on this board, I expected CSTV to go this way. Start with I-AA and then try to move up. After the CBS purchase of the network, it became apparent that CSTV was to be a competitor (not a complement) to ESPN. With CBS's financial support, don't be surprised if CSTV starts competing for BCS games. The only thing really holding them back is that CSTV still has a low market penetration (Many of us can't get it on cable.) I tried getting our local cable operator to add CSTV, even going to great lengths to point out that local teams Wofford and the Purple People down the road were featured on the network, but got nowhere. Now that C-USA and the MWC are included, who knows, Charter may add the network.

Unfortunately, the past, present, and future of I-AA football will be with regional networks. Few I-AA schools have nation-wide name recognition (a reason many schools use in justifying a move to I-A). The Ivies are well-known, be de-emphasize football, and Joe 6-pack probably isn't going to want to watch a bunch of "rich boys" playing. A few HBCU's have nationwide name recognition, but will draw little interest from non-black fans, and even then I suspect that most African-Americans would pick a marquee matchup of BCS teams over most SWAC or MEAC games (Bayou Classic excepted) when watching games on TV.

Unless, I-AA can come up with some kind of gimmick (Playing games on Tuesday or Wednesday nights), I-AA is not going to get a lot of nationwide TV coverage. I personally oppose scheduling gimmicks, because I feel that football is a spectator sport, not a sit at home on the couch and watch sport.

Probably the best long-term bet for I-AA will be Pay Per View over the internet. The technology is not yet perfected, but, when we are able to watch TV-quality (preferably HDTV quality) over the internet on our regular TV screens, I-AA games of nationwide interest should be available. Most likely, I-AA fans would subscribe to a package of games for a team or conference, somewhat like SoCon TV, and could then purchase other games of interest a la carte. (Maybe I should race off and patent that:D )

(misspelling edited)

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM

I wonder.......... :eyebrow:

What would it take to somehow get these local feeds of games on regional networks and broadcast them over the internet nationally.

Lehigh broadcasts all their home games over the internet, which you need to pay a monthly charge to watch/listen. (This is invaluable for what I do for Lehigh blogging, by the way.)

What would it take to set up an internet TV station to broadcast 1-2 great I-AA matchups a week nationally, at the cost of (say) $2.50 a game? I'd gladly pay $20 a month for 3-4 months.

It would take some arrangement with the regional channels, but it could be done, no?

colgate13
May 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Probably the best long-term bet for I-AA will be Pay Per View over the internet. The technology is not yet perfected, but, when we are able to watch TV-quality (preferably HDTV quality) over the internet on our regular TV screens, I-AA games of nationwide interest should be available. Most likely, I-AA fans would subscribe to a package of games for a team or conference, somewhat like SoCon TV, and could then purchase other games of interest a la carte. (Maybe I should race off and patent that:D )

No need to patent it - I believe this is the long range direction of all TV. On demand media or whatever you want to call it is the direction we are heading. With the ease of the internet and success of podcasting, the future is almost here.

It wouldn't take much for someplace like iTunes to allow you sell a podcast a football game for $1.99 to watch when you want, and a stream to watch it live.

The idea of 'national' broadcasts is dying. We are putting ourselves into our 'tribes' of consumption and I-AA will be no different. I think 10 years or less.

ButlerGSU
May 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Georgia Southern broadcast all the away games on EagleVision via the Athletic Departments website www.georgiasoutherneagles.com

The games played at Paulson were $12 I believe to watch over the web. It was pretty nice with Nate doing the play by play and they even had instant replay.