PDA

View Full Version : Last Night-ASU watching?

apaladin
October 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Just wondering how many ASU fans saw that glimpse into the future last night in Jonesboro, AR? The Sun Belt Tuesday night yawner with undefeated in the Sun Belt contender Arkansas State beating FIU at home? Played in a mostly empty stadium where reportedly 15,572 showed up. There could not have had more 100 people on the visitors side. I know, I know if it was ASU the visitors side would have been full, just sayin. ASU has so much to look forward to. The glory of low level FBS football: Priceless.

biggie
October 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM
AD has already said App will not go to FBS just to go. Will not go to a bad conference. Therefore we will not go to the Sunbelt.

I would prefer not to go at all, but while we're waiting on a decent conference we'll just stay around to beat up on Furple.

asknoquarter21
October 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I thought this had something to do with our next Head Coach

oh well

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
where reportedly 15,572 showed up.

OH THE HORROR!!!!! xeekx

Wait a second...

Doesn't Furman only average 10k or so. xeyebrowx

Isn't 15,572 more than showed up to the FCS championship game? xrotatehx

Wouldn't Arkansas State lead FCS in attendance? xchinscratchx

xcoffeex

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I think somebody is just grouchy after getting a glimpse of their future the last 2 weeks. xthumbsupx

The glory of SoCon mediocrity: priceless

GSU EAGLES
October 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
More reason why with 85 scholarships Ga Southern or App could go into the SB and run the table pretty quickly and get a lot of Boise-esque love. The current SB teams have never managed to step there game up whereas Ga Southern and App have a strong history of rising to the top.

ASUMountaineer
October 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Just wondering how many ASU fans saw that glimpse into the future last night in Jonesboro, AR? The Sun Belt Tuesday night yawner with undefeated in the Sun Belt contender Arkansas State beating FIU at home? Played in a mostly empty stadium where reportedly 15,572 showed up. There could not have had more 100 people on the visitors side. I know, I know if it was ASU the visitors side would have been full, just sayin. ASU has so much to look forward to. The glory of low level FBS football: Priceless.

How funny, coming from a Vurman fan. Enjoy...

http://www.d1sportstraining.com/trainerfinder/files/temporary/60037/greenville/martin_ingle_Web(1).jpg

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Shoot the message bringer, but not the message. The attendance in that game was abysmal. That's the world of most of the teams that venture to the FBS that have no business being there.

Furman's attendance doesn't matter. Furman is a school of 2,600 students (a smal fraction of the ASU student body), a small alumni base, and has expressed zero desire to do anything but stay where it is.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
How funny, coming from a Vurman fan. Enjoy...

Well, Furman fans do have a dog in this fight. They have the highest athletic budget in the conference which puts them in a solid top half of the Sun Belt.

App's puts them in the bottom half just above Louisiana - Lafayette.

But you look at the flip side of that: even Elon has more reported athletic donors than any Sun Belt institution :) So, the Sun Belt just sucks. I would hope the App admin would have more sense.

asumike83
October 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Well, Furman fans do have a dog in this fight. They have the highest athletic budget in the conference which puts them in a solid top half of the Sun Belt.

But you look at the flip side of that: even Elon has more reported athletic donors than any Sun Belt institution :) So, the Sun Belt just sucks. I would hope the App admin would have more sense.

Of course they have more sense, this whole thread was just an irrelevant comparison to ruffle some feathers. The results of our feasibility study showed that ASU generates more revenue currently as a SoCon member than every school in the MAC and Sun Belt conferences. The money is not there and the travel costs would be insane. Appalachian has ZERO interest in the Sun Belt.

Saint3333
October 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM

ASU's revenue from tickets and scholarships would already put ASU ahead of every program in the Sun Belt.

Sounds like the Furman fan would miss us more than anything.

ASUMountaineer
October 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Shoot the message bringer, but not the message. The attendance in that game was abysmal. That's the world of most of the teams that venture to the FBS that have no business being there.

Furman's attendance doesn't matter. Furman is a school of 2,600 students (a smal fraction of the ASU student body), a small alumni base, and has expressed zero desire to do anything but stay where it is.

The attendance was not good, but it was better than most FCS games--and comparable to the FCS championship game. I'm no SunBelt apologist, and I am not for ASU joining the SunBelt. In addition, if I'm not mistaken, Charlie Cobb has said that the SunBelt is not a viable option for ASU. Could that change? Maybe, but I'm guessing you don't have any inside info on that. I know the point of the thread was to get a little dig in on ASU. That's cool.

ASUMountaineer
October 20th, 2011, 01:47 PM

How does that put FU fans in the discussion?

Anyways, see my last post. Everything coming from the ASU admin is that the SunBelt is not a viable option.

And, yes...I doubt you'll find many ASU fans who support a move to the SunBelt. I think this thread is a swing and a miss.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
How does that put FU fans in the discussion?

Anyways, see my last post. Everything coming from the ASU admin is that the SunBelt is not a viable option.

And, yes...I doubt you'll find many ASU fans who support a move to the SunBelt. I think this thread is a swing and a miss.

My point was to be as meaningless as possible, as that's what a move to the Sun Belt would be. Guess the feuds over the years have taken away the ability for sarcasm. But App's admin is apparently already on their game.

james_lawfirm
October 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I watched the game until halftime. What I failed to see mentioned on this here thread is that FIU's Offensive Coordinator is Scott Satterfield, who was an Asst. Coach at App during the Nat'l Championship run. Since the plays FIU runs are surprisingly recognizable, one might reasonably conclude that Satterfield was calling plays at App when he was here.

Yeah, attendance was not exemplary, but it was still interesting. I much prefer college football on Saturdays. I bet FIU does too.

BTW, if everyone on this thread knew about Satterfield, and I'm just repeating the obvious, then to quote Roseann Roseannadanna, NEVER MIND!

Saint3333
October 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
No Sun Belt schools plays more than one weekday game a year. Give ASU fans 6 months notice and I bet attendance would be pretty good for a weekday night game.

Having two nationally televised games a year and getting one "big boy" to come to your stadium at least every other year must be terrible, I'm sure you can find a Sun Belt school the would love to come back to the FCS.

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
No Sun Belt schools plays more than one weekday game a year. Give ASU fans 6 months notice and I bet attendance would be pretty good for a weekday night game.

Having two nationally televised games a year and getting one "big boy" to come to your stadium at least every other year must be terrible, I'm sure you can find a Sun Belt school the would love to come back to the FCS.

I don't see anyone beating down the door...

ESPN has a list of them as well. They call it the "Bottom 10"

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2011, 11:32 PM

I see a lot of APPsters hating on this thread but it has some relevance, even if not the Sun Belt. You would be going to the FBS with no NC hopes, fewer "rivals", an entirely different model, and fan mindset. I don't think you could be happy with the Sun Belt, MAC, or C-USA. Those don't get you to where App has been. The only things that make sense to me are the ACC, Big East, or SEC which probably aren't happening. Otherwise, you may be seeing your future, a meaningless Tuesday night game on ESPN that people aren't watching...

WOCO
October 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Here are the problems with ASU moving.

1. There are 5 FBS school in NC. To compete on a higher level, they would have to be able to take recruits from established programs. It wont happen.
2. Too many app fans are looking at that championship run and thinking that they are far better that every fcs team and that app will never fall off. In reality you were the best for that time but it was a "run". GSU had a run of championships as as well but they were down for some time too. It happens, especially if you happen to have arguably the best qb in FCS history on your team for that time.
3. No rivalries is big. Wofford has been in the socon since the late 90's and I still don't think anyone considers us to be a rival.
4. Crowd support will drop off when you don't always win and your saturday game is against........... arkansas state womens college for the blind A&T Tech
5. App will never again win a NC!

biggie
October 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
I would agree with all those^ except 4. The atmosphere around Boone on gamedays draws fans in no matter the opponent or how the team is doing. The leadership has done a great job in the last 6+ years in encouraging the tailgating and festivities and that will transition over well.

The only way to help 3 is to get into the ACC (truely the only way I could like going to FBS) because of the rivalries, but ACC won't happen. Doesn't seem like we'll get into anywhere with ECU/Marshall and to me I don't see those connecting as rivals to most of the fans (older ones, sure, but not the majority of current fans).

asumike83
October 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Here are the problems with ASU moving.

1. There are 5 FBS school in NC. To compete on a higher level, they would have to be able to take recruits from established programs. It wont happen.
2. Too many app fans are looking at that championship run and thinking that they are far better that every fcs team and that app will never fall off. In reality you were the best for that time but it was a "run". GSU had a run of championships as as well but they were down for some time too. It happens, especially if you happen to have arguably the best qb in FCS history on your team for that time.
3. No rivalries is big. Wofford has been in the socon since the late 90's and I still don't think anyone considers us to be a rival.
4. Crowd support will drop off when you don't always win and your saturday game is against........... arkansas state womens college for the blind A&T Tech
5. App will never again win a NC!

1. No realistic ASU fan expects us to take recruits from UNC and NCSU. Duke, Wake and ECU are fair game. 2 current players on our roster, Trevor Sawyer (ECU) and Brandon McGowan (Wake) de-committed from in-state FBS schools to come play in Boone. This should continue and become more frequent if we are also FBS.

2. We have not won a title in 4 years. I do not think ASU is better than everyone, but our success was not 100% tied to Armanti Edwards. We won our first title before he came to Boone and won 10 games in our first year without him.

3. Marshall was a long-time SoCon rival that resides in C-USA. East Carolina is also an existing rivalry and a series we lead 17-11. If C-USA is not our destination, the only other option I've heard is a conference with other current FCS programs that would include regional rivals. Sun Belt is not happening.

4. Incoherent point about a made up school (you make it sound like we are moving down to D-III) but as far as the wins go, we will have to weather some growing pains. However, I trust our administration to put us in a conference that we will succeed in the near future. If you think home games against any FBS program will sell less tickets than seeing us play Wofford and Samford, then I guess that's your opinion. We sold out home games against Savannah State and NC A&T, not too worried about fans sneezing at the competition.

5. A good point. This boils down to how much you value a better regular season schedule vs. a shot at the playoffs.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
arkansas state womens college for the blind A&T Tech

Sounds more like an FCS school than an FBS school, imo.

WOCO
October 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
1. No realistic ASU fan expects us to take recruits from UNC and NCSU. Duke, Wake and ECU are fair game. 2 current players on our roster, Trevor Sawyer (ECU) and Brandon McGowan (Wake) de-committed from in-state FBS schools to come play in Boone. This should continue and become more frequent if we are also FBS.

2. We have not won a title in 4 years. I do not think ASU is better than everyone, but our success was not 100% tied to Armanti Edwards. We won our first title before he came to Boone and won 10 games in our first year without him.

3. Marshall was a long-time SoCon rival that resides in C-USA. East Carolina is also an existing rivalry and a series we lead 17-11. If C-USA is not our destination, the only other option I've heard is a conference with other current FCS programs that would include regional rivals. Sun Belt is not happening.

4. Incoherent point about a made up school (you make it sound like we are moving down to D-III) but as far as the wins go, we will have to weather some growing pains. However, I trust our administration to put us in a conference that we will succeed in the near future. If you think home games against any FBS program will sell less tickets than seeing us play Wofford and Samford, then I guess that's your opinion. We sold out home games against Savannah State and NC A&T, not too worried about fans sneezing at the competition.

5. A good point. This boils down to how much you value a better regular season schedule vs. a shot at the playoffs.

I wouldn't be so sure about competing with wake duke and ecu for recruits. I really depends on how quickly you can win. Kids are big on name recognition and brand. If app can win quickly then they may have a shot but if not app wouldn't be as attractive to recruits. If app could somehow get into the acc this would be different because the brand that the kids would see would also be the ACC but I don't see that happening. The problem is that if you go FBS, stealing 1 or 2 recruits won't work. You have to steal an entire team. How many players do you have right now that could start in the ACC. If the answer isn't 22 you recognize the problem. I know you will get more scolly's and more players but to compete quickly you will need better players "right now" or you could fall back fast. If app had made the move 3 years ago you could have been special but I think the time may not be right.

I dont mean that "app better than everybody else" in a negative even though it did come out that way. Its just that teams have highs and lows. 10 years ago nobody ever thought the miami hurricans could be beaten, and then southern cal, and now alabama. I just think that some peoples views may be clouded by the recent success and believe that if app moves to the FBS there would be more of the same. That is playing a little too much into the decision to move up in my OPINION.

Obviously that school name was a joke but I honestly didn't know that Arkansas State fielded a FBS footbal team. If app isnt winning, people aren't going to spend money to watch that game in the stands. Maybe on TV but not in Boone. That is the reality.

asumike83
October 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
The problem is that if you go FBS, stealing 1 or 2 recruits won't work. You have to steal an entire team. How many players do you have right now that could start in the ACC. If the answer isn't 22 you recognize the problem.

To me, that is not necessarily a problem. Nobody is expecting ASU to field a team that could compete for ACC titles, as there is no chance we get into that conference. How many players does ECU have that could start in the ACC? Hell, how many players does Duke have that should be starting in the ACC? The goal of a move is not to go from an FCS power to a BCS power, it is obviously not realistic. Moving into a mid-major FBS conference and competing for conference championships in the relatively near future as well as being able to put together a regular season schedule that is more attractive to our fans is realistic, at least in my opinion.

ASUMountaineer
October 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
My point was to be as meaningless as possible, as that's what a move to the Sun Belt would be. Guess the feuds over the years have taken away the ability for sarcasm. But App's admin is apparently already on their game.

xthumbsupx