PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Host Site Bidding - In & Out

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Norfolk State is not bidding...

Norfolk State athletic director Marty Miller said that the school will not bid for a home game in the FCS playoffs, despite the fact that NSU currently appears like it has a good chance at qualifying.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/nsu-football-spartans-will-not-bid-playoff-game

Old Dominion is...

Old Dominion athletic director Wood Selig said Saturday he will begin putting together a bid to host a first-round game in this year’s Football Championship Subdivision playoffs in hopes of the Monarchs being selected for the postseason.

The NCAA requires a minimum bid of $30,000 for a first-round game, Selig said. Twenty teams will make the playoffs with eight playing first-round games and 12 receiving byes into the second round.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/odu-make-bid-playoff-game

Got any more to add to the list?

IN
Old Dominion

OUT
Norfolk State

Gringer1
October 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
*insert Sam Baker joke here*

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Have not read anything official but I can only assume that ASU will bid as usual if we get in the playoffs. The stated minimum is $30K, does anybody know what kind of bid it usually takes to get awarded the home game?

BisonFan02
October 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Have not read anything official but I can only assume that ASU will bid as usual if we get in the playoffs. The stated minimum is $30K, does anybody know what kind of bid it usually takes to get awarded the home game?

The Bison bid $100k last year to host the game against RMU (probably could have gotten it for less). I would supposed it really depends on who you're bidding against.

jmufan999
October 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Great question, I've wondered this many times.

I'm also hazy on the bid itself... is a school offering to pay (for example) 50K, PLUS a percentage of the ticket sales? How do the bids work, specifically?

asumike83
October 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
The Bison bid $100k last year to host the game against RMU (probably could have gotten it for less). I would supposed it really depends on who you're bidding against.

True, I suppose the competition would determine the winning bid. I am curious to know how much the schools know, meaning do they know exactly what bid they need to beat? $100K does seem like a lot, although you would certainly still come out well on top if you draw a decent crowd.

asknoquarter21
October 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I could be wrong on this but how I understand it to be is that the schools bid for each round after the last game of the season. In fact I think they are due the Saturday of the final games before the bracket comes out on Sunday(obviously).

At this time the teams bid for the first round, second round, quarterfinal, semi final games.

The schools don't know who they will be matched up with when making their bid, they only know that the NCAA likes to regionalize the first round. The real tricky part is that they don't know who they will be matched up with in terms of the next few rounds. So bidding must be conservative in that aspect.

The essential forumula for the school in terms of making money is something like

("gate receipts" - "Bid") - "Expenses to conduct the game" The school then gets 25% of the remaining amount

asknoquarter21
October 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM

I don't think he will be missing the email this year to say the least.

ElonFirefighter
October 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Im currently submitting my bid of $10 US dollars to host WCU playoff game in my backyard

clearthinker
October 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I am going to match your 10 bucks and raise it with a keg of beer!!

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I could be wrong on this but how I understand it to be is that the schools bid for each round after the last game of the season. In fact I think they are due the Saturday of the final games before the bracket comes out on Sunday(obviously).

Per the article I linked in the initial post about ODU- "

A lot of schools aren’t positioned to put in that kind of bid,” Selig said. “The NCAA will send out the materials for making a bid next week and we will sit down and begin discussing our bid.” The deadline for bids is Nov. 4, he said.

Nov. 4 is the 'bid deadline', which I believe is for the 'opening round' and 'second round'.

WileECoyote06
October 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
This saddens me. We might as well go on and go to the Legacy Bowl, if we're not going to try to host games in the playoffs.

superman7515
October 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
The NCAA takes whatever you bid plus 75% of the gate revenue and 100% of the merchandise revenue from the game as only NCAA approved merchandise can be sold.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Well it's fair to say there is creative accounting leniency that goes on. Show me game outside of Montana that aren't under-reported attendance wise.

bojeta
October 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Just installed artificial turf in my front yard. Cost me $3180. So, I will stripe my yard and bid $50. My neighbors will pay $10 each to watch using their own lawn chairs. That should bring in $4000 + $500 in concessions. I'm into it for $3230, so $4500 - $3230 = $1270 and if I get 25% of that ($317.50), I've got my lawn paid for and enough for a night out with my wife. I'm happy :) What? I have to pay for officials??? Forget it! I retract my bid!!

Twentysix
October 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
True, I suppose the competition would determine the winning bid. I am curious to know how much the schools know, meaning do they know exactly what bid they need to beat? $100K does seem like a lot, although you would certainly still come out well on top if you draw a decent crowd.

I dont think you have a choice, its what you bid + a cut of ticket sales.

NDSU still profited around what they bid, I really doubt gene lost any sleep over it.

50,000+Concessions+adveritising is what NDSU would of profited.

Not to mention the benefits that go along with hosting a playoff game. Increased attendance, Increased community intereste, donations, etc.

JmuSkinsfan
October 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I would assume any of the following are locks to enter bids, with no need for "articles" to confirm they are being placed (that currently are not in place to get a seed and guarantee home game)

ASU, JMU, Montana, ODU, Delaware

SumItUp
October 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Liberty will place a bid and it will probably be a healthy one. Now, we just need to win the rest of our games.

Skjellyfetti
October 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
According to Craig Haley... Sam Houston State will outbid App for a playoff game. xlolx

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Maybe App isn't submitting a bid this year and Haley has the scoop on that. xconfusedx

AAadict
October 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I am wondering if Lehigh will bid. Looking strong in the Patriot. When was the last time a PL team hosted?

JmuSkinsfan
October 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I am wondering if Lehigh will bid. Looking strong in the Patriot. When was the last time a PL team hosted?

Lehigh hosted JMU in 2004 did they not?

achrist70
October 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Question, if a school is hosting because of a seed, then they do not have to pay the NCAA to host correct? I mean other than a percentage of ticket sales.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Lehigh hosted JMU in 2004 did they not?

If I remember correctly JMU that year was among the first teams to go on the road for every game to win the championship....so yes

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Question, if a school is hosting because of a seed, then they do not have to pay the NCAA to host correct? I mean other than a percentage of ticket sales.

FROM...DUH 2010 NCAA FOOTBALL COMMITTEE.....MANUAL.......BYLAW 31.1.3.2.1....page 7...b....SAYS:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2010/10_1_football.pdf

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM

FROM...DUH 2010 NCAA FOOTBALL COMMITTEE.....MANUAL....PAGE 7......b....BYLAW 31.1.3.2.1........SAYS:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2010/10_1_football.pdf

To simplify:

Yes even seeds have to submit bids ON TIME. However, they are only required to submit the minimum bid. As long as they do that they will get home field.

number1
October 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM
The NCAA takes whatever you bid plus 75% of the gate revenue and 100% of the merchandise revenue from the game as only NCAA approved merchandise can be sold.

75% of the gate?!!!! That is a pretty steep price.

Squealofthepig
October 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
75% of the gate?!!!! That is a pretty steep price.

It is. It makes me wonder what some of the teams with massive gates (I'm looking at YOU, NDSU, App and... err, back at my own Montana team) are doing.

dgtw
October 19th, 2011, 10:57 PM
What is "merchandise revenue"? If I go to a playoff game and buy a generic shirt supporting the host team (not one that mentions the playoffs), does that mean the NCAA gets the money?

HailSzczur
October 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
What is "merchandise revenue"? If I go to a playoff game and buy a generic shirt supporting the host team (not one that mentions the playoffs), does that mean the NCAA gets the money?

At Villanova at least during the playoffs the in the stadium merchandise stand only sold stuff that said FCS playoffs, Final Four, etc.

superman7515
October 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM

The host team isn't allowed to sell just generic DGTW 2011 shirts, buttons, etc. Only NCAA approved and licensed merchandise and 100% of the proceeds go back to the NCAA.

asknoquarter21
October 20th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I would really like to know the numbers on these bids.

I also wonder how often a team ranked 1 or 2 bids the minimum when they could have bid more knowing they would make more money as a school. I could see that also really hurting the school if they lost in the last week. Don't know if that has ever happened, but it would be interesting.

SideLine Shooter
October 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Beat me to it!!!

WestCoastAggie
October 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I've never thought in a million years that I would be thinking this but gosh I hope A&T and Murray State are preparing a respectable playoff bid. xrotatehx

superman7515
October 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
If Norfolk State isn't and is in the driver seat for the MEAC and actually turns a profit and sits in the black with football, I would think that A&T will decline to bid as well.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I think this whole thing is stupid and they should just rank the 20 teams do a national tournament and the better seed hosts period...

URMite
October 20th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I would really like to know the numbers on these bids.

I also wonder how often a team ranked 1 or 2 bids the minimum when they could have bid more knowing they would make more money as a school. I could see that also really hurting the school if they lost in the last week. Don't know if that has ever happened, but it would be interesting.

I was thinking the other way. A team is #6 or #7 on 11/4 and therefore bids $70,000 for the first round but ends up being the #5 seed, so could have only bid $30,000 but didn't know it.

Eaglesrus
October 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I would assume any of the following are locks to enter bids, with no need for "articles" to confirm they are being placed (that currently are not in place to get a seed and guarantee home game)

ASU, JMU, Montana, ODU, Delaware

Jokes aside, I think you can add GA Southern to this list. I also think that our AD knows that another fiasco like the one that happened last year with our bid would have to be the last straw for him.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Is this ODU's first year that they can compete in the playoffs?

jmufan999
October 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I think this whole thing is stupid and they should just rank the 20 teams do a national tournament and the better seed hosts period...

Agreed. Would be much fairer, competition-wise. If you can't afford a few plane trips, then maybe the playoffs aren't for you.

edit: I could see the previous sentence ruffling feathers, but that is my opinion. It's way fairer and much closer to how the NCAA basketball tourney works (except in neutral sites).

But we all know the NCAA is about money, not fairness.

Monarch Nation
October 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Is this ODU's first year that they can compete in the playoffs?

Technically no, realistically yes. We were eligible in our first year because we played 9 DI games, but our opponents were not anywhere near playoff caliber. Same for our second year except for Cal Poly and W&M (both of whom defeated us).

We are technically in better shape this year because of the CAA; but again, realistically we are a long shot because of our porous secondary and the injuries we’ve sustained this season. Our bye week is the last week of the season, so it is a week to week grind.

We’ve come a long way, but we have a long way to go.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You don't have to worry about affording a couple of plane trips in the playoffs because the NCAA pays for transportation. That's part of why they have to make money from gate resources and bids.

In theory ranking the teams would be fairer but anyone who followed I-AA Football before 9/11/01 will tell you that those rankings were gerrymandered to provide the match-ups the NCAA wanted to minimize travels and/or increase gate revenue.

SideLine Shooter
October 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM

There is one big flaw with that idea. It makes sense.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It seems there are a lot of things that people don't understand so glad you started the topic TT.

As far as the seeding and having teams play according to that higher seed thing...it doesn't work that way. I know people think that it used to be that way and in theory it was but if you look at how the teams were seeded in the past you'll see that it was just uncanny how often the seeding fell so that travel was limited even back then.

As UNH alum said this is an NCAA event. They pay the travel, they get the money to put it on. This is not something that home schools can either make or lose a great deal of money on.

Montana made the NCAA something like 1.5 million in 2009 to offset the nearly 4 million it cost to hold the playoffs if I remember correctly so like it or not teams like App, JMU, GSU, Delaware, & Montana are gonna be tough to beat for a home game due to the fact that the money to support it comes mainly from these places.

We all like and enjoy the playoffs and talking about the NCAA like they are trying to screw over your school or some other school because they need to pull in some cash to support this is sort of short sighted.

On the bids your AD is willing to put up...it matters to some extent no doubt but when you start dealing with a team like Montana or App and the NCAA is gonna get 400K from ticket sales without even considering the bid Montana put in then it kind of puts some pressure to go real big to get the game at your place.

Having a seed means everything if you are in that situation.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
There is one big flaw with that idea. It makes sense.

In it's simplest form it does but the NCAA does the rankings so how do you think that works out? You got it, it works out just like it would for anybody here when they try and make out their household budgets. Minimize expenses, maximize revenues, and hope you break even.

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Technically no, realistically yes. We were eligible in our first year because we played 9 DI games, but our opponents were not anywhere near playoff caliber. Same for our second year except for Cal Poly and W&M (both of whom defeated us).

According to the NCAA you have to play a D1 schedule for 2 years before you are playoff eligibile, so no you weren't eligible your first year.

Monarch Nation
October 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM
According to the NCAA you have to play a D1 schedule for 2 years before you are playoff eligibile, so no you weren't eligible your first year.
It was my understanding from both our head coach and our AD that we were. It makes no difference since the point was moot.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
It was my understanding from both our head coach and our AD that we were. It makes no difference since the point was moot.

I think you were because you were not a transitional team from d2 but I'm not sure on it myself.

owascoag
October 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Agreed. FCS playoff system sounds pure but this bid process for a home game is seriously flawed....... Ridiculous that a team that performed better during the regular season is put at a disadvantage to play on the road.

MR. CHICKEN
October 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
JES'...FILL DUH SEATS...ME LADDY...HOW LONG...FO'..YA'LL GET....FINANCE 101?

owascoag
October 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
JES'...FILL DUH SEATS...ME LADDY...HOW LONG...FO'..YA'LL GET....FINANCE 101?

Ever been to Orono in December? The NCAA is not holding bake sales, they can afford to allow the top seeds to host the games.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
SHSU has confirmed that they have put together competitive bids for the playoffs... said they are in a better situation than '01 and '04.