PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota's stats for the first half of the season

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

■The Sioux are averaging 21.3 yds/punt return on the season, by far the best in the GWC and Top 5 in the country. Eric Mersereau returned one punt for a TD vs. Idaho.
■The Sioux have blocked 6 kicks on the year, which ranks them at the top of the FCS stats.
■The Sioux defense is giving up 19.8 pts/game so far through 6 games. This ranks them #1 in the GWC and is 5 points better than last season (25.0 pts/game).
■The Sioux D leads the GWC in red-zone defense. They are giving up a score only 64% (14-22) of the time, which is outstanding. It would rank them 8th in the country.
■The Sioux are only giving up 75 yds/game rushing through 6 games. That is by far the best in the GWC and would rank them 5th in the country.
■They are giving up a total of 330 yds/game – #1 in the GWC and is 60 yards less than in 2010.
■UND’s passing efficiency rating is 104, by far the worst in the GWC.xsmhx
■The Sioux are #1 in the GWC in red-zone efficiency with a scoring rate of 91%, going 21-23. 16 TD’s and 5 FG’s. This would put them in the Top 15 in the nation.
■Jake Miller is the GWC leader in rushing yds/game with 116/game (10th in the nation)
■The Sioux are +4 in turnover margin. Huge turnaround from last season’s -10. QB Joey Bradley has a lot to do with that, only throwing 1 INT on the year.

So in short..great defense and special teams, good running but not good passing. One INT is good but 121yds/game in the air is horrid. Should be an exciting second half!!xthumbsupx

THE HERD
October 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
No disrespect at all, but don't ya think those stats are a bit skewed due to the fact that three of your games have been against a nonscholly team and two Naia/DII teams? What are the stats if you take those three games out of the equation? Again no smack just interested. Congrats on getting into the top 25.....do ya think you'll still be in there at the end of the year?

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
No disrespect at all, but don't ya think those stats are a bit skewed due to the fact that three of your games have been against a nonscholly team and two Naia/DII teams? What are the stats if you take those three games out of the equation? Again no smack just interested. Congrats on getting into the top 25.....do ya think you'll still be in there at the end of the year?

I thought of that too but those stats also include 2 FBS games so maybe it evens it out. As or staying in the top 25 if we play for the GWFC title (which I think we will) we should be in the top 15. Because we should finish 9-2 with 4 of our last 5 games against FCS opponents.

LakesBison
October 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
delusion at its finest, the sioux way

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM
delusion at its finest, the sioux way

Whats delusional Lakes...oops I mean ndsufreshman. Sorry you reminded me of someone else.

clenz
October 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM

It's kind of like bragging about the stats a team who has played 2 or 3 teams that, while D1 members, offer zero scholarships (or 36) that have 1 win each (wouldn't be good at the D2 or NAIA level)

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM
It's kind of like bragging about the stats a team who has played 2 or 3 teams that, while D1 members, offer zero scholarships (or 36) that have 1 win each (wouldn't be good at the D2 or NAIA level)

Its also a good way to see the turnaround UND is putting on compared to our 3-8 season. I mean 1 pick from our QB on 2 FBS defenses says a lot!

Gil Dobie
October 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Who was bragging about that?

Twentysix
October 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I think clenz is mad about 98-9

cpalum
October 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I thought of that too but those stats also include 2 FBS games so maybe it evens it out. As or staying in the top 25 if we play for the GWFC title (which I think we will) we should be in the top 15. Because we should finish 9-2 with 4 of our last 5 games against FCS opponents.

It's a good point that he made.... to date UND has played a pretty watered down schedule. Yes you have played two FBS schools (Idaho and Fresno State)...Bluntly Idaho should be a winnable game to the best FCS teams. The Sioux played their hearts out against Fresno and impressed me in a loss. The SUU road win was definitely a quality win as well but beyond that they played cupcakes. Those games definitely have artificially elevated the team statistics.

Look at it this way... many FCS teams play two FBS opponents in a year and many of those FBS teams are significantly better than Idaho and Fresno St. For example, Cal Poly's FBS games were San Diego State and NIU both would mop the floor with Fresno and Idaho.

Almost no team in FCS (maybe I am missing a few?) play three games as weak as UND has played in an entire year....so hell yes those stats are inflated.

Having said that, I think Cal Poly is in for a real dogfight this weekend. UND is a good team and deserve their ranking but whether they are an elite (top 15) team as you have suggested above is to be determined.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM

I think UND could end up ranked #15, but in no way would deserve it. I can name several Valley, CAA, SoCon, Southland, and Big Sky teams who would more than likely beat UND. To be honest, it will be impossible to know a dang thing about UND at the end of the season because the quality of their schedule is just not good enough to have any overly positive judgements on.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Have to agree with cpalum and The Herd here darell. Playing 2 FBS schools may partially offset playing a non-scholarship and 2 NAIA schools (one transitioning to D-II) with only 1 win each, but the fact is those teams play in a bad WAC conference w/ 4 total wins between them, 2 being UND, 1 being against the other and the last being bottom feeder Utah State. If Fresno beats Nevada, it will say a little more about UND playing them tough.

As soon as I saw this thread, I knew it was opening up more trash talking against UND. It probably should have been started as a smack thread...

Twentysix
October 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Id take a stab at the nevada fresno game.

38-10 Nevada.

THE HERD
October 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Who was bragging about that?

Clenz just has a hatred for all things Bison and if there is a Bison thread that has anything remotely positive about NDSU he will quickly discredit it. I didn't brag or state anything about our schedule and agree SFU and Lafayette are patsys, but they are a hell of a lot better than a nonscholly team Drake or whoever the hell it was.

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
It's a good point that he made.... to date UND has played a pretty watered down schedule. Yes you have played two FBS schools (Idaho and Fresno State)...Bluntly Idaho should be a winnable game to the best FCS teams. The Sioux played their hearts out against Fresno and impressed me in a loss. The SUU road win was definitely a quality win as well but beyond that they played cupcakes. Those games definitely have artificially elevated the team statistics.

Look at it this way... many FCS teams play two FBS opponents in a year and many of those FBS teams are significantly better than Idaho and Fresno St. For example, Cal Poly's FBS games were San Diego State and NIU both would mop the floor with Fresno and Idaho.

Almost no team in FCS (maybe I am missing a few?) play three games as weak as UND has played in an entire year....so hell yes those stats are inflated.

Having said that, I think Cal Poly is in for a real dogfight this weekend. UND is a good team and deserve their ranking but whether they are an elite (top 15) team as you have suggested above is to be determined.

USD plays 3 non DI teams this year. I don't worry about the stat vs the country or the GWFC I look at the stat compared to what we did last year. The one I bolded really stands out. I can't remember UND playing 6 games and throwing only 1 pick. That is a great stat, the downside to that is the 121yds/game. So IMO we solved our QB situation from a year ago. There is room to improve and if things stay status quo Bradley should be alright in Big Sky play after a year of maturity in the FCS. I just think if UND finishes 9-2 they would have beaten Drake, at SUU, Cal Poly, at UC Davis, South Dakota, at N. Colorado, and 3 non-DI teams. I think they deserve to be in the polls and should be as high or low as 15. If they were in the top 20 preseason next fall I think great things are going to happen to UND in the Big Sky. We just need this season overwith and a great schedule which 2012 is.

NDB
October 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Drake, at SUU, Cal Poly, at UC Davis, South Dakota, at N. Colorado, and 3 non-DI teams

And what is the highest any of these teams should be ranked. Take that and put UND minus one. Is that 15? No way in hell. 20? no. 25? more like 30-35.

I wouldn't have a problem with UND in the 20's if they win out, but their schedule is filled with average teams at best.

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Drake, at SUU, Cal Poly, at UC Davis, South Dakota, at N. Colorado, and 3 non-DI teams

And what is the highest any of these teams should be ranked. Take that and put UND minus one. Is that 15? No way in hell. 20? no. 25? more like 30-35.

I wouldn't have a problem with UND in the 20's if they win out, but their schedule is filled with average teams at best.

Guess we find out after Nov 19th's game where they should be ranked and where UND's last 4 foes sit (Hopefully UNC can get some wins and not against us).

TheBisonator
October 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
UND won't finish the season 9-2. They'll split the Cali teams (bringing them to 3 losses), then they have UNC, USD and Sioux Falls. There will be one loss among those three (most likely not USF) that will trip them up.

7-4 most likely for the No-Namers.

cpalum
October 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
USD plays 3 non DI teams this year. I don't worry about the stat vs the country or the GWFC I look at the stat compared to what we did last year. The one I bolded really stands out. I can't remember UND playing 6 games and throwing only 1 pick. That is a great stat, the downside to that is the 121yds/game. So IMO we solved our QB situation from a year ago. There is room to improve and if things stay status quo Bradley should be alright in Big Sky play after a year of maturity in the FCS. I just think if UND finishes 9-2 they would have beaten Drake, at SUU, Cal Poly, at UC Davis, South Dakota, at N. Colorado, and 3 non-DI teams. I think they deserve to be in the polls and should be as high or low as 15. If they were in the top 20 preseason next fall I think great things are going to happen to UND in the Big Sky. We just need this season overwith and a great schedule which 2012 is.

Darell if your point is that they have improved..then I agree....I just don't think they have any real shot at getting a ranking that high. They just don't play a schedule that would support that. Ironically If Cal Poly can beat UND this weekend and win out the season (a BIG if) then I'd argue that Cal Poly could break the top 20 in part because of UND's current ranking

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Darell if your point is that they have improved..then I agree....I just don't think they have any real shot at getting a ranking that high. They just don't play a schedule that would support that. Ironically If Cal Poly can beat UND this weekend and win out the season (a BIG if) then I'd argue that Cal Poly could break the top 20 in part because of UND's current ranking

But thats not going to happen.xsmiley_wixxlolx

coover
October 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM
USD plays 3 non DI teams this year. The University of San Diego is a non-scholarship program. Please do not compare the University of San Diego to any decent FCS program. They simply do not compare.

NDB
October 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Guess we find out after Nov 19th's game where they WILL be ranked and where UND's last 4 foes sit (Hopefully UNC can get some wins and not against us).

FIFY

BisonBohl
October 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Anytime UND gets brought up it turns to a pissing match...shocker

but there schedule is very subject to criticism.

Ginsbach
October 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The University of San Diego is a non-scholarship program. Please do not compare the University of San Diego to any decent FCS program. They simply do not compare.

I'm fairly certain he means the University of South Dakota by USD.

You know, the team that's in the Great West along with Cal Poly and plays them in 2 weeks.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly certain he means the University of South Dakota by USD.

You know, the team that's in the Great West along with Cal Poly and plays them in 2 weeks.

Dang, you beat me to it! But the Great West is a big conference (geographically anyway), so its easy lose track of your fellow conference members. :D

Twentysix
October 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
The University of San Diego is a non-scholarship program. Please do not compare the University of San Diego to any decent FCS program. They simply do not compare.

Cant figure if idiot or troll...xrotatehx USD as in the only one relevant in FCS football... is in his conference.........

darell1976
October 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry for the confusion..I did mean South Dakota.

coover
October 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the confusion..I did mean South Dakota. I realize it's really not a very important point, but sometimes I really do get confused. Is USD San Diego or South Dakota? How about UND? North Dakota or Notre Dame? FSU ... obviously that is Fresno State or is it really Florida State? SDSU is in San Diego, isn't it? I guess not if you are in the Midwest. USC are the Trojans from Southern California. Whoops, how about South Carolina? And there are a lot more. Abbreviations can be very confusing. My favorite is the Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I realize it's really not a very important point, but sometimes I really do get confused. Is USD San Diego or South Dakota? How about UND? North Dakota or Notre Dame? FSU ... obviously that is Fresno State or is it really Florida State? SDSU is in San Diego, isn't it? I guess not if you are in the Midwest. USC are the Trojans from Southern California. Whoops, how about South Carolina? And there are a lot more. Abbreviations can be very confusing. My favorite is the Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

You are right. Some abbreviations, like USC, can be confusing. I'll help you with one though. UND is North Dakota. Norte Dame is abbreviated ND. At least that's the only way I've ever seen it.

As for USD, I guess we all figured you'd know that it referred to one of the four opponents your team plays in its football conference...xrolleyesx

bincitysioux
October 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
North Dakota deserves taking flack over the schedule thus far as it has been pretty bush league.

But I will say this..................

Given the schedule they were dealt, North Dakota has IMO performed like a top 25 FCS team should against such a schedule. They've beaten 2 FCS teams, routed two non-DI teams, and lost to two FBS teams.

Do I think they are one of the 15 best teams in FCS right now? No, absolutely not.

Do I think they are one of the 20 best teams in FCS right now? I think one could make a case for it. I won't today, but depending on this weekends results, I may next week.

Do I think they are one of the 25 best teams in FCS right now? Yes, I do personally. As a AGS voter who looks closely each week, I'm hard pressed to find 25 teams that I feel have unequivocally performed better than North Dakota has thus far.

There have been no slipping by a non-DI thus far or worse yet losing to a non-DI like we endured in 2009. So far we've treated those type of teams like we should have, by thumping them soundly. Despite having little or no "FCS credibility", North Dakota still has general "football credibility", and I think when they perform like they have so far this season, they are reaping the benefits of that as far as the polls go.

And as far as the stats that Darrell brought up to start this thread......................sure, we've probably padded the stats some against the NAIA schools, but at the very least North Dakota's defense should get a little credit for basically shutting down Fresno's run game. Fresno is a no frills smash mouth FBS team that wants to run the ball first and foremost. We treated them the same we did Black Hills and Montana-Western...............................and so far, no defense across three divisions of competition has been able to stop North Dakota's run game.

Hope it doesn't happen for the first time this weekend................ xprayx

clenz
October 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Clenz just has a hatred for all things Bison and if there is a Bison thread that has anything remotely positive about NDSU he will quickly discredit it. I didn't brag or state anything about our schedule and agree SFU and Lafayette are patsys, but they are a hell of a lot better than a nonscholly team Drake or whoever the hell it was.

Um....Laffey is non-scholly too....and they have a massive one win this season.

St. Francis is 36 scholly....with 1 win and 3 wins over the last 3 years.

If you are going to bang on UND for a **** schedule you need to bang on your own. USF likely would take St. Francis to the wire (and probably win), as would they Laffey.

FargoBison
October 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM

If you are going to bang on UND for a **** schedule you need to bang on your own. USF likely would take St. Francis to the wire (and probably win), as would they Laffey.

Clenz...Lafayette has a $4 million football budget....they have some kind of hybrid model that a Patriot League fan can describe much better than me but they offer something like 50 equivalencies. They also have two wins, they beat Penn and Yale.

USF isn't really good this season. St Francis offers 27 scholarships, I do agree they would struggle with USF. Lafayette though is a much better team than St Francis.

Our schedule isn't great but Montana-Western, Black Hill State and USF isn't on it last time I checked. St Francis is pretty bad though.

clenz
October 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Clenz...Lafayette has a $4 million football budget....they have some kind of hybrid model that a Patriot League fan can describe much better than me but they offer something like 50 equivalencies. They also have two wins, they beat Penn and Yale.

USF isn't really good this season. St Francis offers 27 scholarships, I do agree they would struggle with USF. Lafayette though is a much better team than St Francis.
Drake, along with pretty much every Pioneer team, does the same thing that Lafayette does with their scholarships. I had a "academic grant" from Drake, and a couple others that didn't offer athletic scholarships, for 3/4th tuition coming out of HS, but didn't get a grant from anywhere that offered athletic scholarships.

FargoBison
October 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Drake, along with pretty much every Pioneer team, does the same thing that Lafayette does with their scholarships. I had a "academic grant" from Drake, and a couple others that didn't offer athletic scholarships, for 3/4th tuition coming out of HS, but didn't get a grant from anywhere that offered athletic scholarships.

Explain to me Drake's budget($864,337) vs Lafayette($4,198,351)

I'm talking about "Athletically Related Student Aid" not academic.

clenz
October 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Explain to me Drake's budget($864,337) vs Lafayette($4,198,351)

I'm talking about "Athletically Related Student Aid" not academic.

My aid was "academic" but I promise you it had nothing to do with academics....Why was I getting "Academic" aid at schools that didn't offer "football" scholarships, but wasn't from schools that did?

clenz
October 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Oh, and Drake and Lafayette are separated by almost nothing in many computer models.

FargoBison
October 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM
My aid was "academic" but I promise you it had nothing to do with academics....Why was I getting "Academic" aid at schools that didn't offer "football" scholarships, but wasn't from schools that did?

I don't know but I hope you aren't comparing private schools to public schools. Private schools give out a lot more aid to a typical student, especially if they have a decent sized endowment.

Poly's Brutality
October 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM
The other games aside, the Fresno State result and the Southern Utah result are enough to show not only UND improvement, but also a good chance to beat anybody in the league if not more. Miller is a beast. Two good running teams this weekend against two great running defenses. So, where do you think the game is, there, in those battles? Or, is the importance of the passing game enhanced as a result? Time of possession and/or keeping the other offense off of the field - how important is that? Maybe field position major key?

TheBisonator
October 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Um....Laffey is non-scholly too....and they have a massive two wins this season.

Fixed.

NDB
October 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
The other games aside, the Fresno State result and the Southern Utah result are enough to show not only UND improvement, but also a good chance to beat anybody in the league if not more.

If by league you mean the Great West I agree. If you mean FCS you too are drinking the cool aid.

darell1976
October 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
The other games aside, the Fresno State result and the Southern Utah result are enough to show not only UND improvement, but also a good chance to beat anybody in the league if not more. Miller is a beast. Two good running teams this weekend against two great running defenses. So, where do you think the game is, there, in those battles? Or, is the importance of the passing game enhanced as a result? Time of possession and/or keeping the other offense off of the field - how important is that? Maybe field position major key?

If Cal Poly shuts down UND's running game...Cal Poly will win. UND's passing attack hasn't shown its face yet. Only 1 pick good but 130 yards a game not good if you can't run. So maybe with the bye week UND working on their air attack and we may see something different. This is going to be "the" game to see where UND is at this season.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
NDSU's OOC slate coming into this season was Lafayette, Georgia Southern, and Big Ten Minnesota. Considering that was put together several years ago (before Layfayette was down) that's about as tough of a non-conference slate as any team in the country. Georgia Southern backed out, which they are entitled to do based on the contract they signed, but that left NDSU's AD in a bind to pick up a home game considering they had already started selling season tickets for a 6 game home schedule. You're not going to find many full scholly FCS teams out there looking to pick up a road game 6 months before the season starts, hence the scheduling of St Francis.

Knock NDSU's schedule if you want, I won't deny that it's weak but it's all D1 counters and there's 6 homes games in it. As a fan that's all I care about because I know the MVFC conference schedule will be more than enough to put the Bison on solid playoff footing if we take care of business and get 8 or more wins. NDSU's AD doesn't care either because he sold 18K+ seats for the first two "cupcakes".

So as not to derail this thread further, UND's schedule is terrible and I think any objective UND fan would tell you the same. However, they're not playoff eligible this year so the average fan's disgust should be muted. Their scheduling should improve greatly once they have an 8 game conference schedule. There's no defending this schedule though other than to say the AD wanted home games.

NDB
October 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Clenz, you do know that UNI played Saint Francis two years ago - and not because the #1 team in the country backed out six months before the game...

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
NDSU's OOC slate coming into this season was Lafayette, Georgia Southern, and Big Ten Minnesota. Considering that was put together several years ago (before Layfayette was down) that's about as tough of a non-conference slate as any team in the country. Georgia Southern backed out, which they are entitled to do based on the contract they signed, but that left NDSU's AD in a bind to pick up a home game considering they had already started selling season tickets for a 6 game home schedule. You're not going to find many full scholly FCS teams out there looking to pick up a road game 6 months before the season starts, hence the scheduling of St Francis.

Knock NDSU's schedule if you want, I won't deny that it's weak but it's all D1 counters and there's 6 homes games in it. As a fan that's all I care about because I know the MVFC conference schedule will be more than enough to put the Bison on solid playoff footing if we take care of business and get 8 or more wins. NDSU's AD doesn't care either because he sold 18K+ seats for the first two "cupcakes".

So as not to derail this thread further, UND's schedule is terrible and I think any objective UND fan would tell you the same. However, they're not playoff eligible this year so the average fan's disgust should be muted. Their scheduling should improve greatly once they have an 8 game conference schedule. There's no defending this schedule though other than to say the AD wanted home games.

Please tell me you are joking. Have you seen some of the other non-conference schedules from other conferences?

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Please tell me you are joking. Have you seen some of the other non-conference schedules from other conferences?
Enlighten me.

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Enlighten me.

James Madison = North Carolina, Central Connecticut State, Liberty
UMass = Holy Cross, Boston College, Old Dominion
Northern Iowa = Iowa State, SFA, Southern Utah
South Dakota State = Illinois, Southern Utah, Cal Poly
Missouri State = Arkansas, Oregon, Eastern Kentucky
Western Illinois - Sam Houston State, Jacksonville, Missouri
Cal Poly = Montana, Northern Illinois, San Diego State
UC Davis = Arizona State, Hawaii, Montana State

Those were teams I found immediately. Probably more.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Is the only one you listed that is drastically stronger than Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Lafayette.

Like chaos said when the game was scheduled Lafayette was a playoff team. They seem to be pretty far from that currently.

F'N Hawks
October 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Is the only one you listed that is drastically stronger than Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Lafayette.

Like chaos said when the game was scheduled Lafayette was a playoff team. They seem to be pretty far from that currently.

The Gophers are one of the worst 10 teams in FBS football this year and also were when Gene scheduled it. And Georgia Southern was not the #1 team in the country when Gene scheduled it so you can't have it both ways.

You honestly don't see how those other schedules are much stronger than NDSU's?

Twentysix
October 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Georgia southern wasnt the #1 team but they werent 125th either.

I am unclear if this last minnesota game was scheduled recently or if it was scheduled when the other 2 were scheduled.

If all 3 minnesota games were scheduled toghether they were considerably better then... In 04 and 05 the two year period when those games would of been scheduled Minnesota was 7-5 both years. Heck in 04 they beat bama in a bowl.

Minnesota overcomes second-ranked 'Bama defense xlolx

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM

I'll give you Missouri St. You can't make an accurate comparison with teams that play 7 OOC games (UC Davis, Cal Poly) and teams that play 3, I could pull 3 games out of those 7 and make the opposite point. We could quibble over fine points about those other teams all day.

Remember, athletic directors don't have crystal balls in their offices when they schedule these games. Lafayette was scheduled 2 years ago, Minnesota was 3, and Georgia Southern was 6. Lafayette and Minnesota looked like tougher games back then and GSU looked weaker. I'm not trying to say the Bison had the best OOC schedule prior to GSU backing out but it was up there with pretty much anyone in the country. Like I said, Missouri St had it beat and there are probably a few others but looking at it objectively when this schedule was set I think NDSU's AD put together a very good non-conference schedule that was made considerably weaker by the fall of Lafayette and Minnesota and the renegging of Georgia Southern.

NDB
October 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
The Georgia Southern game was scheduled in the 2005/6 offseason.

GSU finished the 2005 season ranked #9. They are also one of the most storied programs in DIAA/FCS.

The Lafayette game was scheduled in the 2009/10 offseason - and were a top 25 team to end 2009.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'll give you Missouri St. You can't make an accurate comparison with teams that play 7 OOC games (UC Davis, Cal Poly) and teams that play 3, I could pull 3 games out of those 7 and make the opposite point. We could quibble over fine points about those other teams all day.

Remember, athletic directors don't have crystal balls in their offices when they schedule these games. Lafayette was scheduled 2 years ago, Minnesota was 3, and Georgia Southern was 6. Lafayette and Minnesota looked like tougher games back then and GSU looked weaker. I'm not trying to say the Bison had the best OOC schedule prior to GSU backing out but it was up there with pretty much anyone in the country. Like I said, Missouri St had it beat and there are probably a few others but looking at it objectively when this schedule was set I think NDSU's AD put together a very good non-conference schedule that was made considerably weaker by the fall of Lafayette and Minnesota and the renegging of Georgia Southern.

xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I am unclear if this last minnesota game was scheduled recently or if it was scheduled when the other 2 were scheduled.
It was announced in January 2009 (http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=934), no one except for someone from Taylor or Maturi's office would know exactly when it was agreed on. However, the Gophers finished that year 7-6 (but on a 5 game losing streak) in their first year in a brand spanking new stadium. I don't think anyone at that time realized Brewster's true suckitude as a coach as he was still in his honeymoon period of promising Rose Bowls to Gopher Nation.

cpalum
October 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM

You bison fans go way overboard with these grand statements...you must be jokingxlolx

What makes a non conference schedule tough? ...Id say travel is part of that? Right? Hell you only play 3 non conference games....try playing 7! How about flying across the country (I mean the long way) to play ODU or South Alabama.

NDB
October 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
do you account for travel when determining moral victories?

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
You bison fans go way overboard with these grand statements...you must be jokingxlolx

What makes a non conference schedule tough? ...Id say travel is part of that? Right? Hell you only play 3 non conference games....try playing 7! How about flying across the country (I mean the long way) to play ODU or South Alabama.
I'm referring strictly to the quality of teams and I've made my points regarding that already. We know very well what its like playing 7 non-conference games, we did it from 2004-2007 and flew to Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, Utah, and California among others for games during that time. Since then I won't apologize for having a good AD who schedules away OOC at regional universities and routinely gets 2 of 3 OOC games at home. When you're in a real conference next year hopefully your AD can do the same with the stability 8 conference games provides.

darell1976
October 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm referring strictly to the quality of teams and I've made my points regarding that already. We know very well what its like playing 7 non-conference games, we did it from 2004-2007 and flew to Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, Utah, and California among others for games during that time. Since then I won't apologize for having a good AD who schedules away OOC at regional universities and routinely gets 2 of 3 OOC games at home. When you're in a real conference next year hopefully your AD can do the same with the stability 8 conference games provides.

Which I am glad to get out of the Great West. Add NJ, and TX for basketball. YUCK!!

cpalum
October 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM

I read your points above. You seem to be making the argument that in the years the games were scheduled the teams were better.....OK. I still have no idea how that makes your schedule any stronger. NDSU plays a very good schedule and you bet I'm jealous; I know Cal Poly will play a more manageable OCC in the Big Sky.

Regardless, there is no way that NDSU has played " as tough of a non-conference slate as anyone in the country" It doesn't matter if Minnesota and Layfayette were good teams when the games were scheduled...you don't get brownie points for that....the strength of your opponent only matters in the year you actually play them.....xtwocentsx

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I read your points above. You seem to be making the argument that in the years the games were scheduled the teams were better.....OK. I still have no idea how that makes your schedule any stronger. NDSU plays a very good schedule and you bet I'm jealous; I know Cal Poly will play a more manageable OCC in the Big Sky.

Regardless, there is no way that NDSU has played " as tough of a non-conference slate as anyone in the country" It doesn't matter if Minnesota and Layfayette were good teams when the games were scheduled...you don't get brownie points for that....the strength of your opponent only matters in the year you actually play them.....xtwocentsx
I won't argue with you there, Lafayette and Minnesota have been bad this year. My point all along is that this was a hell of a tough schedule when it was put together and through factors that NDSU cannot control (underperforming teams and a contract reneg) it became what it is. There's no denying that the schedule has been very soft thus far, the Sagarin ratings show that, but it's not due to the fact that we tried to line up patsies in the non-conference. In fact it was quite the contrary.

344Johnson
October 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM

You are right. But what is the AD supposed to do if he wants to schedule some good OOC games. A good place to start is by looking at traditionally strong programs (Georgia Southern) and Lafayette is generally a solid team. Minnesota is generally pretty poor but they are FBS Big Ten(12) and you can't be mad about getting paid to have a pretty good chance at winning.

I'm not going to read into the entire thread to see how it drifted from UND's stats to NDSU's OOC schedule. But UND's sched this year will probably inflate their statistics quite a bit.

cpalum
October 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I won't argue with you there, Lafayette and Minnesota have been bad this year. My point all along is that this was a hell of a tough schedule when it was put together and through factors that NDSU cannot control (underperforming teams and a contract reneg) it became what it is. There's no denying that the schedule has been very soft thus far, the Sagarin ratings show that, but it's not due to the fact that we tried to line up patsies in the non-conference. In fact it was quite the contrary.

We agree....I was just taking exception to the best in the country comment....

THE HERD
October 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Read my first post.....never banged on thier schedule, you just twisted it into that as usual. Just cuz ya hate JBB and Lakes doesn't mean ya have to be a tool to every other Bison poster. Don't blame anyone for getting after Lakes and JBB though...they definitely ask for it.

Hammerhead
October 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
The Fresno state score was at least close. The 14-44 loss to Idaho isn't good considering this week's Sagarin ratings has them behind 39 FCS teams.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM
The Fresno state score was at least close. The 14-44 loss to Idaho isn't good considering this week's Sagarin ratings has them behind 39 FCS teams.

That would make fresno #40 in the fcs! What do you know!

biggame
October 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
That would make fresno #40 in the fcs! What do you know!

Actually Fresno would be 9th behind 8 FCS teams in these rankings... not that it actually means all that much.

darell1976
October 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM
FWIW-Fresno is 2-0 in the WAC with an overall record of 3-4. I see them bowl bound...but thats how bad the WAC is.xthumbsdownx (anyone wanna join?)