PDA

View Full Version : Article: Chattanooga freshman are busy

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/17/utc-freshmen-are-busy-in-mocs-win-over-wcu/?sports

Chattanooga started 7 freshman against WCU. They accounted for 299 of Chattanooga's 388 yards.

Huesman is owning on the recruiting trail. Chattanooga will return 19 of its 22 starters from Saturday next season as well.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
It was a good performance, learning to put away an inferior opponent early and keep them down is big for a young team. I have a feeling that losing to The Citadel may be what keeps the Mocs out of the postseason. ASU nearly put themselves in the same situation this weekend in Charleston.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
FRESHMEN...

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
FRESHMEN...

Okay, but.....WCU

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Okay, but.....WCU

I was correcting my thread title.

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I was correcting my thread title.

Okay, but.....that doesn't change the point of my post. No doubt there's some talent among those freshmen, but that wasn't the biggest test they will face.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Okay, but.....that doesn't change the point of my post. No doubt there's some talent among those freshmen, but that wasn't the biggest test they will face.

It also wasnt the first game theyve played.

Side Judge
October 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM
So what's the prediction for next season?

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
So what's the prediction for next season?

Dominance. Simple as that. But this season aint over yet.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Sounds a lot like your prediction for this year, I like it! I'll be interested to see what sort of changes they make in their offensive scheme to suit Robinson at QB.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds a lot like your prediction for this year, I like it! I'll be interested to see what sort of changes they make in their offensive scheme to suit Robinson at QB.

Its going to also be interesting to see how people prepared teams are for both Robinson and Coleman the rest of the year after Coleman gets back.

pike51
October 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
What's the over/under for number of Chatty freshman who get arrested during the offseason and then go on to not come back for their soph. year? Just sayin'...

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM
What's the over/under for number of Chatty freshman who get arrested during the offseason and then go on to not come back for their soph. year? Just sayin'...

Im pretty sure that Keon Williams was the only guy that has happened to. But hey Huesman made a statement by sitting down his best RB for an entire season. Keon is turning himself around and should be back next year. Another major uh oh for opponents. That kid has all the talent to be one of the best backs in SOCON history.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Chattanooga has always had talented players. There's really no reason why UTC should not be good every year. For 2012, the Eagles will be much faster and better as well. I'll be more worried about Wofford, App, Furman, Samford, and a much improved Citadel team. Chatty will be my pre-season 5 or 6, unless they run the table this year, which I actually hope they do.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Chattanooga has always had talented players. There's really no reason why UTC should not be good every year. For 2012, the Eagles will be much faster and better as well. I'll be more worried about Wofford, App, Furman, Samford, and a much improved Citadel team. Chatty will be my pre-season 5 or 6, unless they run the table this year, which I actually hope they do.

Thats a good prediction. lol.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Faster?? Really, I ll give you BIGGER, because you have one of the smallest rosters I have ever seen, but Faster? Not a chance.

blueballs
October 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Chatty is in a very similar situation to GSU last year... 4-4 and on the brink of elimination playing a LOT of young players and a bit dinged up by injuries.

GSU got the signature win over App which started a six game winning streak that was ended by UD in the nat'l semis... this season they picked up where they left off last year with largely the same roster and have won 6 in a row for 12 out of their last 13 overall against some pretty good comp.

Let's see if Chatty can match that...

Chatty is pretty much going to have to defeat Wofford to make the playoffs... let's see how that turns out.

Smitty
October 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Stats are irrelevant against WCU...

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Stats are irrelevant against WCU...

The stats suggest a 2 or 3 tds loss for you. Reallity was a 44 point walloping that could of very well been significantly worse. I would agree with you.

Baldy
October 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Faster?? Really, I ll give you BIGGER, because you have one of the smallest rosters I have ever seen, but Faster? Not a chance.

MUCH faster. Is that better? xnodx

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Chattanooga scares me, but if Coleman isn't rotating in and out with Robinson (in other words if they don't split time), they don't scare me as much as they would if they did. Chattanooga has a lot of talent and great coaches, but they lack the intangibles of a championship team, the intangibles that App teams have had in the past (and may still have), the intangibles that GSU is starting to reclaim (though personally I won't say they have it back until they win the Socon), and the intangibles Wofford IMO has in that the team knows the can win and expects they can win without being arrogant about it, like a "just do work" mentality.

Watch out for Wofford next year too, bringing back about 15 regular starters, including all of the linebackers (who are in the top 4 in tackles for the team), 3/4 of the starters and 2 deep in the secondary, 4/5 of the OL (with the player replacing the current starter having a significant amount of experience considering Page will be down for a couple weeks), and all of the running backs.

App brings back a lot as well (but will lose a bunch offensively), Citadel is definitely improving and will make great strides offensively in the third year of the system, GSU will have the best athletes if they don't have the experience (I'm unaware of their 2 deep), Samford is on the upswing and finally plays offense consistently, Furman and Elon will be big question marks but still able to compete. If western brings in a competent D-coordinator they will be a .500 team.

the future in the Socon looks strong next year again, we need to stop scheduling the Tusculums, UVA-wises, and stillmans. If we didn't we could probably get 4 or 5 in the playoffs

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
GSU will have the best athletes if they don't have the experience (I'm unaware of their 2 deep)

GA Southern will also have 15 starters back (really 16, since one of our senior starters had a season-ending injury two games ago and those now starting in his place will be back). We lose our senior QB, who is like a coach on the field, but we have a very experienced and faster #2. Our #3 QB is also getting some playing time now, and he is as fast as our #2 and many say has a better arm (haven't had a chance to see much of it yet). That should be a real battle in the spring. In my view the only area for us to be concerned about at the moment for next year is the O-line. Three senior starters there, one of them being on most AA lists. We'll also lose star cornerback and kick returner LaRon Scott, But we have a good bit of proven depth there.

Apphole
October 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Huesman is owning on the recruiting trail.

How can you make that claim? (ok maybe I forgot who I was talking to) ASU also has a good bit of youth starting this season and we've seen a hell of a lot more success than Hueman's kids. What do you even know about the other teams and who they've recruited? I'm not saying you don't have an outstanding class of young players coming in, but as with everything else you say, I must assume it's bull ****. Are you considering JuCo transfers? Or maybe your just hopped up on the unfamiliar feeling of beating a conference opponent. It's Western dude. Get over yourself. Your young players may be good, but they're not good enough to win a game that matters. I don't profess that we "own" the recruiting trail (considering that there's only one school that I research so heavily, ASU, and anyone who would profess to know the ins and outs of the other schools with regards to something as subjective and immeasurable as recruiting differences is just trolling as usual) but I do know that we recruit a standard of athlete that is rare at the FCS level. That is why we frequently hear other coaches in post/pre game interviews saying things like, "They've got really good players" and "They just have better players than everyone else."

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
How can you make that claim? (ok maybe I forgot who I was talking to) ASU also has a good bit of youth starting this season and we've seen a hell of a lot more success than Hueman's kids. What do you even know about the other teams and who they've recruited? I'm not saying you don't have an outstanding class of young players coming in, but as with everything else you say, I must assume it's bull ****. Are you considering JuCo transfers? Or maybe your just hopped up on the unfamiliar feeling of beating a conference opponent. It's Western dude. Get over yourself. Your young players may be good, but they're not good enough to win a game that matters. I don't profess that we "own" the recruiting trail (considering that there's only one school that I research so heavily, ASU, and anyone who would profess to know the ins and outs of the other schools with regards to something as subjective and immeasurable as recruiting differences is just trolling as usual) but I do know that we recruit a standard of athlete that is rare at the FCS level. That is why we frequently hear other coaches in post/pre game interviews saying things like, "They've got really good players" and "They just have better players than everyone else."

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.. Stfu. There was no comparison made between Chattanooga and any other specific program. A simple assessment of the talented young players that are now making big impacts at Chattanooga, particularly in the last 2 classes.

Apphole
October 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.. Stfu. There was no comparison made between Chattanooga and any other specific program. A simple assessment of the talented young players that are now making big impacts at Chattanooga, particularly in the last 2 classes.

Well if that's how you feel, perhaps you should hold back on posts like "Chattanooga owns the recruiting trail" which clearly indicates that you think you are the bar none #1 recruiters of the conference. What a load of ****xlolx

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Well if that's how you feel, perhaps you should hold back on posts like "Chattanooga owns the recruiting trail" which clearly indicates that you think you are the bar none #1 recruiters of the conference. What a load of ****xlolx

No it doesnt, It simply means that Russ is doing an excellent job recruiting. You fail as usual.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
GA Southern will also have 15 starters back (really 16, since one of our senior starters had a season-ending injury two games ago and those now starting in his place will be back). We lose our senior QB, who is like a coach on the field, but we have a very experienced and faster #2. Our #3 QB is also getting some playing time now, and he is as fast as our #2 and many say has a better arm (haven't had a chance to see much of it yet). That should be a real battle in the spring. In my view the only area for us to be concerned about at the moment for next year is the O-line. Three senior starters there, one of them being on most AA lists. We'll also lose star cornerback and kick returner LaRon Scott, But we have a good bit of proven depth there.

Should be interesting as we lose our starting QB as well but we bring in a better passer who's be in the system going on 4 years but with no starting experience, GSU has a faster offense when they're not putting the ball on the ground this year whereas I'd say Wofford's defense is a little better or at least more clutch. But again that's debatable. I think next year's Socon standings are going to look something like:

Wofford/GSU
GSU/Wofford
Chattanooga
App State
Samford
Furman
Elon
The citadel
Western

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Should be interesting as we lose our starting QB as well but we bring in a better passer who's be in the system going on 4 years but with no starting experience, GSU has a faster offense when they're not putting the ball on the ground this year whereas I'd say Wofford's defense is a little better or at least more clutch. But again that's debatable. I think next year's Socon standings are going to look something like:

Wofford/GSU
GSU/Wofford
Chattanooga
App State
Samford
Furman
Elon
The citadel
Western

Mocs in 2012

Robinson at QB
Williams at RB
Ron Moore and Marlon Anthony at WR

Those are the offensive changes next year. Ultra talented 4 some taking over there..

Entire Oline back..

Enire D-line back + Nick Davison back

Dothard and Miller back in the lbs..Will be tough to replace consiglio..

Moore, Wise, and Key back in the secondary, will have to replace Tippit.

Thats it on what is already the best defense in the Southern Conference. Offense will be much better than it has been so far, defense will be better.

Sheet, yall boys aint ready for Chattown.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Mocs in 2012

Robinson at QB
Williams at RB
Ron Moore and Marlon Anthony...

Those are the offensive changes next year. Ultra talented 4 some taking over there..

Entire Oline back..

Enire D-line back + Nick Davison back

Dothard and Miller back in the lbs..Will be tough to replace consiglio..

Moore, Wise, and Key back in the secondary, will have to replace Tippit.

Thats it on what is already the best defense in the Southern Conference. Offense will be much better than it has been so far, defense will be better.

Sheet, yall boys aint ready for Chattown.

Wofford has the best defense in the Socon, if not GSU. Sorry.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Wofford has the best defense in the Socon, if not GSU. Sorry.

Im sorry, but you really dont.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Im sorry, but you really dont.

Wanna see the film on stopping The Citadel's offense when you need to? You let them score points on you at key times, Wofford only let them score in garbage time on a bunch of backups

Apphole
October 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Wofford/GSU
GSU/Wofford
Chattanooga
App State
Samford
Furman
Elon
The citadel
Western

Comon' YT, give us a little credit. Did you see Jackson's numbers on Saturday? Also, we are at an awkward point in OL development where we have big O-lineman that are young and smaller O-lineman with more experience that get the start. When this newer class on the line gets more experience and starts to become the work course next year, they will be among the biggest/best in the conference. We'll be returning a ton on defense also. The only thing that worries me is losing Ben Jordan (although our coaches have managed to win all but one conference game while neglecting to throw it to him, don't ask me why) and of course, losing Mr. Fantastic, Brian Quick in the 2nd or 3rd round. Peacock, Lott and Washington have done well so far this season. With a solid running game with Steven Miller and (hopefully)Rod Chisholm behind a solid O-line and Jamal Jackson (aka Cam Newtonxsmiley_wix) we should still be a power on offense. I think we still stand very high (certianly above UTC give me a break) and I hope we do well. I have predicted for a while now that this coming season will be our last in the FCS. Gotta end on a good note.

Also random thought/question: When we announce our destination/time frame, be it this year, next or the year after, and if we happened to be in first place in the SoCon during our transition year, would the second place team get the auto bid or would there just not be a SoCon auto bid? I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on an educated guess, but I didn't know if this had happened before and what was the dealio-yo

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wanna see the film on stopping The Citadel's offense when you need to? You let them score points on you at key times, Wofford only let them score in garbage time on a bunch of backups

LOLOLOLOL. Wanna see the stats against a much tougher schedule?

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Indeed much faster. We typically go for speed over size. The 3 QB's behind Shaw that did not play in the UTC game are all much faster than shaw. Mckinnon is like a Jayson Foster...only bigger. Watch the Furman game from this past weekend. Youyoute and McKinnon both got playing time. Our speed is good this year but next year it will be loads better.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Indeed much faster. We typically go for speed over size. The 3 QB's behind Shaw that did not play in the UTC game are all much faster than shaw. Mckinnon is like a Jayson Foster...only bigger. Watch the Furman game from this past weekend. Youyoute and McKinnon both got playing time. Our speed is good this year but next year it will be loads better.

Mckinnon plays already, yes? And he is listed at 5-9 in your roster..How big was Foster? I didnt realize the QB position was how you judged team speed anyhow.

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mckinnon plays already, yes? And he is listed at 5-9 in your roster..How big was Foster? I didnt realize the QB position was how you judged team speed anyhow.

We have speed all over the field on offense. At A-back, B back and QB. Just using QB as an example.

McKinnon plays WR, QB, Slot, Punt return, Wildcat...
Foster was little and light. McKinnon is taller and ripped. He is hard to bring down. He played 2 downs against UTC with a cast on his hand. This past week he still has a cast but caught passes and ran the ball a few times more. Wait until he gets the cast off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312880290

Note: Youyoute. 3 carries 65 yards. a few weeks ago in the Western Carolina game 4 carries 119 yards.

You have Robinson at QB. We have McKinnon, Youyoute and Prince. All as fast as Robinson. Good luck next year :)

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM

I thought that you were an expert on our team? QB speed may not be a big factor at Chatty, though with Robinson it becomes more so, but it most definitely is in our offense. Jaybo has been perfect for us at this stage because of his technical skills and toughness, but for our offense to operate to maximum effect the QB needs to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, guy on the team. I guess that just makes it a gimmick and useless when we have to play all-world teams like Chatty, however.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
We have speed all over the field on offense. At A-back, B back and QB. Just using QB as an example.

McKinnon plays WR, QB, Slot, Punt return, Wildcat...
Foster was little and light. McKinnon is taller and ripped. He is hard to bring down. He played 2 downs against UTC with a cast on his hand. This past week he still has a cast but caught passes and ran the ball a few times more. Wait until he gets the cast off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312880290

Note: Youyoute. 3 carries 65 yards. a few weeks ago in the Western Carolina game 4 carries 119 yards.

You have Robinson at QB. We have McKinnon, Youyoute and Prince. All as fast as Robinson. Good luck next year :)

For the most part you are mentioning guys that are already playing. Ive seen Georgia Southern, they are very fast. Which is the main reason Im not buying that they are going to be "Much Faster"

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I thought that you were an expert on our team? QB speed may not be a big factor at Chatty, though with Robinson it becomes more so, but it most definitely is in our offense. Jaybo has been perfect for us at this stage because of his technical skills and toughness, but for our offense to operate to maximum effect the QB needs to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, guy on the team. I guess that just makes it a gimmick and useless when we have to play all-world teams like Chatty, however.

Good luck on the funbles. You QB needs to be in control, not the fastest man on the team.

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
For the most part you are mentioning guys that are already playing. Ive seen Georgia Southern, they are very fast. Which is the main reason Im not buying that they are going to be "Much Faster"

McKinnon=Not playing more than a quarter due to broken hand and cast
Youyoute=2nd string quarterback behind Shaw at the moment. Comes in 4th quarter.
Prince=Redshirted

When all these guys are playing full games next year=faster than we are now.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
McKinnon=Not playing more than a quarter due to broken hand and cast
Youyoute=2nd string quarterback behind Shaw at the moment. Comes in 4th quarter.
Prince=Redshirted

When all these guys are playing full games next year=faster than we are now.

What about on defense?

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Good luck on the funbles. You QB needs to be in control, not the fastest man on the team.

Most of the fumbles happen at the mesh point between the qb and fullback. Only one fumble this past week.

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
What about on defense?

Defense should be about the same as this year unless there is a redshirt that is on the team that I don't know about.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
LOLOLOLOL. Wanna see the stats against a much tougher schedule?
Want to see how to beat App State or the Citadel?

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM

And if he's both?

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Comon' YT, give us a little credit. Did you see Jackson's numbers on Saturday? Also, we are at an awkward point in OL development where we have big O-lineman that are young and smaller O-lineman with more experience that get the start. When this newer class on the line gets more experience and starts to become the work course next year, they will be among the biggest/best in the conference. We'll be returning a ton on defense also. The only thing that worries me is losing Ben Jordan (although our coaches have managed to win all but one conference game while neglecting to throw it to him, don't ask me why) and of course, losing Mr. Fantastic, Brian Quick in the 2nd or 3rd round. Peacock, Lott and Washington have done well so far this season. With a solid running game with Steven Miller and (hopefully)Rod Chisholm behind a solid O-line and Jamal Jackson (aka Cam Newtonxsmiley_wix) we should still be a power on offense. I think we still stand very high (certianly above UTC give me a break) and I hope we do well. I have predicted for a while now that this coming season will be our last in the FCS. Gotta end on a good note.

Also random thought/question: When we announce our destination/time frame, be it this year, next or the year after, and if we happened to be in first place in the SoCon during our transition year, would the second place team get the auto bid or would there just not be a SoCon auto bid? I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on an educated guess, but I didn't know if this had happened before and what was the dealio-yo

Replacing Quick, Jorden, Baker, and Cadet, is a tall order IMO especially with no official OC. That's the only thing making me hold my breath about App State next year

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
And if he's both?

=no hope for Chatty

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Replacing Quick, Jorden, Baker, and Cadet, is a tall order IMO especially with no official OC. That's the only thing making me hold my breath about App State next year

Quick and Jorden will be the biggest losses among our skill position players. Quick is not replaceable and it will have to be done by committee, although we do have a freshman named Sean Price with nearly identical measurables. Still a few years away but is a project that could pay big dividends in 2012 and on. Peacock and Washington will see much larger roles and based on their development so far this year, they should be ready to do so.

Ben Jorden has amazing hands and has been an all-conference TE for 3 years running now. Trevor Sawyer is set to step in and should be a big part of the offense next year. He is 6-6 and athletic, well regarded recruit who changed his commitment from ECU to come play in Boone. There will be a learning curve but the ability is there.

RB is not as much of a concern to me. I think Steven Miller and Rod Chishom will step in and be productive, shouldn't see much drop-off there. Only time will tell but that is my $.02.

Eagle22
October 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Foster was probably 5'8" at most ... probably closer to 5'7"

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Want to see how to beat App State or the Citadel?

So yall played better defense against App State?

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
And if he's both?

That wont happen.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Does Wofford want to see how to shut out Va-Wise and Presbyterian?? Oh wait Chattanooga hasnt played anyone that Terrible and still has a higher ranked D than Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Does Wofford want to see how to shut out Va-Wise and Presbyterian?? Oh wait Chattanooga hasnt played anyone that Terrible and still has a higher ranked D than Wofford.

Considering our defense pretty much didn't play the second half against UVA wise (had them at -3 total yards) and the Citadel (dominated them up front) your point is invalid. The poor performance against PC and Clemson kind of just got canceled out by the UVA wise game statistically. Wofford is #3 in the nation in total defense, hasn't allowed a team to have more than 250 or 275 yards of offense in over a month, and hasn't allowed a team to score 20 on them since Samford scored 23 on us with gift-wrapped field position (and that's starting to look good anyway with Samford presenting a good offense this year). We're only going to move up in the stats defensively.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
So yall played better defense against App State?

yes, scores aside, yes we did. We got them off the field when we needed to and we were in control the whole game

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
yes, scores aside, yes we did. We got them off the field when we needed to and we were in control the whole game

Have to disagree with you there. Saying 'scores aside, we played better defense' is like saying 'votes aside, we won that election'.

To be clear, I think Wofford is a better team than UTC and the results of our two games will show that. However, looking at only one unit of the team and how they played in one game against a common opponent, the UTC defense was more impressive to me. Total yards were nearly identical but where UTC kept us out of the end zone, we found it twice in Spartanburg.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM

And that was better than Chattanooga alowing them inside the 37 yard line 1 time and giving up zero points? No no no.. Better stick to the C itadel argument.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
And that was better than Chattanooga alowing them inside the 37 yard line 1 time and giving up zero points? No no no.. Better stick to the C itadel argument.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-totaldef.htm

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-totaldef.htm

So you think Wofford's defense is just behind... North Carolina A&T?

gasoutherneagle
October 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
That wont happen.

Heard that with Greg Hill, and JR Revere. BOTH won titles.

pike51
October 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Chattown... I beg of you. Please, PLEASE stop drinking the bong water.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
9 yards better, Man you guys must have given up less than 150 yards against Wise to take over first. Congrats on a GREAT win Wofford. You truly are the best defense.

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
What I find interesting, besides everyone being so willing to always play with Chattownmocs is that a number of the arguments being used are problems the Mocs had when Rodney Allison was coach.

Allison is gone, the culture here has changed (by evidence of the single year 990 the Mocs scored on their last APR report). No more quick fix JUCO's, no more talented problem children (or if there is a problem, they are dealt with quickly and sternly...for instance, Keon Williams pot charge was ultimately just a misdemeanor and probation, many schools around the country would have just suspended him a couple of games (at a BCS school, they would have just covered it up ;))...under Huesman it cost him a whole season)

In other words, if you are going to argue, get some updated material, because using the old material makes you look uniformed (which is nicer than saying dumb) :)

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Ok, I have to chime in...your evidence of Wofford being better on defense is because they have given up a whopping 8 yards less a game on defense?

Considering how much less stellar the Wofford schedule has been thus far, I think you just made Chattownmocs argument for him.

If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

apaladin
October 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/17/utc-freshmen-are-busy-in-mocs-win-over-wcu/?sports

Chattanooga started 7 freshman against WCU. They accounted for 299 of Chattanooga's 388 yards.

Huesman is owning on the recruiting trail. Chattanooga will return 19 of its 22 starters from Saturday next season as well.

The same WCU team that gave up 466 to Mars Hill, 569 to FU and 694 to GSU.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM

And still beat them worse than any of those teams did. How 'bout that damn defense?

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM

The same WCU team scored at least 20 points on all of the above (and Georgia Tech) :)

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Chattownmocs / Chattanoogamocs double team.

Squealofthepig
October 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Quibbling over a ten-yard differential in defense is a bit silly. Both are pretty darned good.

I'd like to get back to the original topic - are there any other teams out there playing so many freshmen and being competitive? I can't think of any in the Big Sky, to be certain; Portland State is probably the youngest.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ok, I have to chime in...your evidence of Wofford being better on defense is because they have given up a whopping 8 yards less a game on defense?

Considering how much less stellar the Wofford schedule has been thus far, I think you just made Chattownmocs argument for him.

If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

Considering you couldn't stop The Citadel when you needed to or get a stop against App when you needed to, whereas Wofford could and did (and had it's way with the Citadel), I'd say that we've done better defensively. I mean, we had the starters in for only 4 of the last 8 quarters, we could have padded those stats. Chattanooga has played a better schedule so far, but Chattanooga's defense isn't clutch by any stretch of the imagination whereas Wofford's has been nothing but that. And that's ultimately the difference between Wofford and Chattanooga right now...Chattanooga can't finish games when they should.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Considering you couldn't stop The Citadel when you needed to or get a stop against App when you needed to, whereas Wofford could and did (and had it's way with the Citadel), I'd say that we've done better defensively. I mean, we had the starters in for only 4 of the last 8 quarters, we could have padded those stats. Chattanooga has played a better schedule so far, but Chattanooga's defense isn't clutch by any stretch of the imagination whereas Wofford's has been nothing but that. And that's ultimately the difference between Wofford and Chattanooga right now...Chattanooga can't finish games when they should.

They got NOTHING but stops against Appalachian State. Appalachian State did not score against chattanooga's defense. What do you not get about that? The difference between Wofford and Chattanooga is that you ain't played Chattanooga which is why you are so confident that your team is so superior.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Quibbling over a ten-yard differential in defense is a bit silly. Both are pretty darned good.

I'd like to get back to the original topic - are there any other teams out there playing so many freshmen and being competitive? I can't think of any in the Big Sky, to be certain; Portland State is probably the youngest.

Chattanooga, being able to do what it has done, particularly on defense, is impressive (offense not so much) They have 3 freshman and 1 junior on the D-line, 2 sophomores and a senior at LB, and 3 sophomores and a senior in the secondary. Not only will the defense probably return 9 starters next year, but as many as 10 the following year. If Russ Huesman doesnt know anything else, he knows how to build a Championship Defense.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM
They got NOTHIGN but stops against Appalachian State. Appalachian State did not score against chattanooga's defense. What do you not get about that? The difference between Wofford and Chattanooga is that you ain't played Chattanooga which is why you are so confident that your team is so superior.

oh please, what about that last drive? sure you didn't score any points, but you didn't get a 3 and out or anything to give your offense any room for error. Chattanooga doesn't scare me defensively, offensively maybe but I could be sandbagging.

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM
That wont happen.

Now I'm worried, seeing as how you are correct so often.

blueballs
October 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
oh please, what about that last drive? sure you didn't score any points, but you didn't get a 3 and out or anything to give your offense any room for error. Chattanooga doesn't scare me defensively, offensively maybe but I could be sandbagging.

Well Chattanooga's defense is a hell of alot better than its offense. So that pretty much shows what you know about their team.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Your offense isnt going to operate at a much faster pace, while simultaneuosly taking better care of the ball. That is not going to happen.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Well Chattanooga's defense is a hell of alot better than its offense. So that pretty much shows what you know about their team.

in that case, I'm not scared of chattanooga at all. Thanks for clearing that up

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Your offense isnt going to operate at a much faster pace, while simultaneuosly taking better care of the ball. That is not going to happen.

Yes it can. See 98,99 and 00 GSU teams.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 03:59 PM

and Wofford 08

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That wont happen.

I stand by my statement quoted above.

gasoutherneagle
October 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM

DAMMIT! I just said this one page back and no one responded... Hell, maybe I should have used years instead of sighting examples (AKA... QUARTERBACKS) in those seasons that did it.

It's like I'm in here with a bunch of ADD 5th graders... SH--!

blueballs
October 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM

See GSU 1986, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004...

The Eagle's Cliff
October 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Since you have no respect for option football (which means no knowledge) and you'll be beaten by three option teams this year and next, let me explain: The blocks and reads open running lanes, but not for long. The B-Back has to hit the whole fast and the A-Backs should be squared up downfield for the pitch, which is often a forward pass. The QB has a running lane that often slants back to the post. As teams have seen with McKinnon and Youyute in the game, QB speed is the difference between a 7-12 yard gain and taking it to the house.

In spite of idiots who think option football is "three yards in a cloud of dust", it's really a big play offense. Check Ga Tech, Navy, GSU, or Wofford and you'll find all at the top when counting # of plays 25 yards or more.

Congrats on your first conference win Saturday, though. I'm glad it has propelled Chatty back to the top of the FCS world for the rest of 2011 and for pre-season 2012

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I don't know about GSU, but according to TSN stats, Wofford is top 10 in every offensive category but passing yards

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Adrian peterson number 1, Also do you understand how far the game has advanced in the last 11-13 years?

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Since you have no respect for option football (which means no knowledge) and you'll be beaten by three option teams this year and next, let me explain: The blocks and reads open running lanes, but not for long. The B-Back has to hit the whole fast and the A-Backs should be squared up downfield for the pitch, which is often a forward pass. The QB has a running lane that often slants back to the post. As teams have seen with McKinnon and Youyute in the game, QB speed is the difference between a 7-12 yard gain and taking it to the house.

In spite of idiots who think option football is "three yards in a cloud of dust", it's really a big play offense. Check Ga Tech, Navy, GSU, or Wofford and you'll find all at the top when counting # of plays 25 yards or more.

Congrats on your first conference win Saturday, though. I'm glad it has propelled Chatty back to the top of the FCS world for the rest of 2011 and for pre-season 2012

When was the last triple option team to win a national Championship in FCS football? Major College football?

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
DAMMIT! I just said this one page back and no one responded... Hell, maybe I should have used years instead of sighting examples (AKA... QUARTERBACKS) in those seasons that did it.

It's like I'm in here with a bunch of ADD 5th graders... SH--!

If you have ever watched that TV show, usually the ADD 5th graders are smarter than the adults. ;)

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM
When was the last triple option team to win a national Championship in FCS football? Major College football?

Georgia Southern in 2000, unless I missed somebody.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Adrian peterson number 1, Also do you understand how far the game has advanced in the last 11-13 years?

since then? teams went away from a down-hill power running to a more finesse style of play with a lot of east-west running. Now the physical offensive teams have returned and are pretty darn hard to stop (Wisconsin, Stanford, Alabama). Football offense is a lot like fashion....it may be out now, but it'll be back. (don't crucify me for making that simile)

gasoutherneagle
October 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
If you have ever watched that TV show, usually the ADD 5th graders are smarter than the adults. ;)

Yeah, but that's normal people. I'm an adult ADD sufferer myself. One good advantage when the medication is right... hyper-focus. Great when the wife is focused on... BAD when she is not the center of interest.

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM

What is the percentage of triple option teams compared to non-triple option teams? Do you know how hard it is to win a national championship? Silly question, you claim to be a Chatty fan, of course you know.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Georgia Southern in 2000, unless I missed somebody.

That'll change in the next couple of years. Every GSU fan knows the TO is the reason for 6 flags. Not because it's option football as much as because it's uncommon. In the past, we met teams in the playoffs who were bigger and stronger, but only had one week to prepare for an offense they nor their coach had seen.

In recruiting, while everyone is doing the same thing going after the same players, we target the fast athletic kid who is too undersized to fit in a conventional system, but perfect for cut blocking and open field running. Instead of getting the 83rd best high school player who also has the size, we'll take the 30th best player who everyone passed on because he didn't fit the official NFL mold for his position.

It amazes me how many supposed College Football fans talk about the NFL prospects on their teams as if it means something. Georgia Southern probably has put the least number of players in the NFL than any other team, but we don't care because we're playing College Football. The big money schools are happy to be the unpaid Farm System for the NFL and the media tie them together with never ending Draft Talk, but who really thinks the Top 40 BCS schools are playing amateur College Football?

I'm right there with everyone who questions GSU's #1 ranking in 2011, because I know how much better we're going to be '12-'15.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I agree that when recruited and coached properly, the triple option offense can be extremely efficient and very frustrating to defend. The one counterpoint I would make goes to your statement regarding the difficulty of preparation in the playoffs with only 1 week to work. While that may still hold true, it will be increasingly difficult to win the conference now that it is run by 3 Southern Conference teams.

As defensive coordinators continue to see the triple option 3X a year in the SoCon, those teams with veteran defenses will be better prepared to stop it. A huge factor in the success of the TO offense is that it forces a completely different approach on defense that players are not accustomed to. When 1/3 of the conference runs the scheme, it takes away the element of unfamiliarity.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I agree that when recruited and coached properly, the triple option offense can be extremely efficient and very frustrating to defend. The one counterpoint I would make goes to your statement regarding the difficulty of preparation in the playoffs with only 1 week to work. While that may still hold true, it will be increasingly difficult to win the conference now that it is run by 3 Southern Conference teams. As defensive coordinators continue to see the triple option 3X a year in the SoCon, those teams with veteran defenses will be better prepared to stop it.

Its your job as the gatekeepers of the socon to keep these teams out of the playoffs. The rest of the FCS doesnt wanna deal with it. Start marring their records!

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Im glad that the Option faithful have finally admitted that it is only effective because it is a novelty. It is not a good offense because it is good, it is good because it is so much different that alot of the other offenses and because it takes more than a week of practice to prepare for. But ultimately, if you can get the players in 2011, you are far better off running a pro style, or a more diverse spread. Look when the national Championship game is played this year.

Baldy
October 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM

You're so correct, at this time in 2000 we were 5-1, and in 2011 we are only....oops wait a minute... xlolx

Brilliant analysis, chattown. xsmileyclapx xbowx

eaglesrback
October 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Crawl back down to moma's basement before it's to late.

eaglemachine
October 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Im glad that the Option faithful have finally admitted that it is only effective because it is a novelty. It is not a good offense because it is good, it is good because it is so much different that alot of the other offenses and because it takes more than a week of practice to prepare for. But ultimately, if you can get the players in 2011, you are far better off running a pro style, or a more diverse spread. Look when the national Championship game is played this year.

I would like to point out at this time that Chatty is 0 and 2 against SoCon option teams with a loss to Wofford very probable.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
You have to admit, chattown may have a point regarding when the NC game is played now. If GSU makes it to Frisco, it could make a difference if the opposing team has a full month to prepare for the triple option as opposed to throwing a game plan together in a week.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I would like to point out at this time that Chatty is 0 and 2 against SoCon option teams with a loss to Wofford very probable.

With a loss to Wofford Highly unlikely. When you lose focus and think a game is over, and start playing sloppy as we did against Citadel. It can get away from you quickly. But adjustments were made and Chattanooga's defense featuring 3 freshman, 5 sophomomores a junior and 2 seniors did a much better tackling in the 2nd half against GSU after being in position all night.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
You have to admit, chattown may have a point regarding when the NC game is played now. If GSU makes it to Frisco, it could make a difference if the opposing team has a full month to prepare for the triple option as opposed to throwing a game plan together in a week.

This has been shown over and over at various levels. Look at what Georgia Tech has done in bowl, games lately. Look at what has happened to Oregon who even has a passing game against foes who have a long time to prepare. Wofford or GSU will NOT win the national title. And by no means am I conceding that they go to the title game

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
You're so correct, at this time in 2000 we were 5-1, and in 2011 we are only....oops wait a minute... xlolx

Brilliant analysis, chattown. xsmileyclapx xbowx

But werent you "operating at a faster pace, while taking better care of the ball" as your friends have said? Personally I think you are better than the 2000 team. Not because you run the option better but because the FCS game has advanced significantly.

pike51
October 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
This has been shown over and over at various levels. Look at what Georgia Tech has done in bowl, games lately. Look at what has happened to Oregon who even has a passing game against foes who have a long time to prepare. Wofford or GSU will NOT win the national title. And by no means am I conceding that they go to the title game

Again... lay off the bong water. 85, 85, 89, 90, 99, 00... they said the exact same thing every one of those years that you are saying now. It just isn't true. No matter how well you think you prepare for the TO, you just can't replicate it with a scout team. GSU or Wofford will win the title if either one of them makes it to Frisco. I honestly think GSU and Wofford are the 2 best teas in the nation right now, hands down. Not positive who's better, most likely Wofford (to be honest).

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Again... lay off the bong water. 85, 85, 89, 90, 99, 00... they said the exact same thing every one of those years that you are saying now. It just isn't true. No matter how well you think you prepare for the TO, you just can't replicate it with a scout team. GSU or Wofford will win the title if either one of them makes it to Frisco. I honestly think GSU and Wofford are the 2 best teas in the nation right now, hands down. Not positive who's better, most likely Wofford (to be honest).

They are certainly the class of the SoCon right now. I just do not get to see enough non-SoCon FCS games in person or on TV to say that they are the best in the nation. What little I have seen of Montana State, NDSU and UNI has been very impressive.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Lay off the crack pipe!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
You know, any team with a good defense and the ability to run the triple option can win a national title, I don't care if you have 3 weeks to prepare. Every game with the triple option is a chess match, play-calling is more key in a TO offense than any other. Being a rushing team, and that of one in which they expect to get 2 yards plus every gain, 4 down territory is everywhere, even if there is a play of negative yardage. Passing is a trick play for second or third and short, any other means of passing is usually a bad-play call IMO. Watching GT screw up last week, they called a lot of pass plays at dumb times and a lot of times they weren't open down field. Bad play-calling. It really screwed them over.The FCS has great athletes but not on the consistent level of the SEC to where there will be 2+ players playing on sundays. the fact that the OLs cannot be out-athleted as easily is an advantage for the TO in the FCS moreso than the FBS. I think GSU and Wofford both have a real good chance at Frisco because they play great defense and great offense (in Wofford's case they're in the top 5 in total offense and defense so far). I'd be surprised if any team held them under 24 points this year unless said teams have 3+ turnovers. Look at Navy or any of the service academies, look at GT, look at Wofford in years past...they could rack up points and yards, even against superior athletes but they didn't play great defense. The GSU teams of the past and this years GSU/Wofford team play quality defense and that, coupled with the their executing offensively on a high level, will make them a hard team to beat.

asumike83
October 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Again... lay off the bong water.

Woah dude, easy. Along with being delicious, bong water is rich in calcium and promotes healthy bones... or maybe that's milk. On second thought, that bowl of Cap'n Crunch did make me feel a little funny this morning.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Lay off the crack pipe!!!

well, you think Chattanooga is the best, but wofford has beaten the 2 teams Chattanooga has lost and GSU has beaten Chatty, so there's a lot less crack use in this instance

heath
October 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
are the freshman going to be ready for the 11/19 game? just checked the schedule and that game will be huge.Is a home game ,so whatcha think

apaladin
October 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
And still beat them worse than any of those teams did. How 'bout that damn defense?

FWIW, WCU scored 7 on the Furman D. The other 2 TD's were a KO return and with 7 seconds left against second/third teamers.
The UTC margin of victory may have been skewed by 5 WCU TO's, 2 of which went for TD's and a pile it on UTC TD with 22 seconds left, plus FU was at WCU and UTC was home but no sense in facts getting in the way. UTC is much better than FU. xbowx

eaglewraith
October 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM

Common thread in all those games? Dominant defensive line play...in GT's case against a weak OL. A monster DL will shut down the option game.

I have yet to see a DL on that level in FCS though.

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Common thread in all those games? Dominant defensive line play...in GT's case against a weak OL. A monster DL will shut down the option game.

I have yet to see a DL on that level in FCS though.

The toughest DL Wofford will see all year is Clemson.....and we ran for 277 yards on them and scored 27 points.

eaglewraith
October 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The toughest DL Wofford will see all year is Clemson.....and we ran for 277 yards on them and scored 27 points.

That's cause you haven't played Georgia Southern yet ;)

GSU_Alum08
October 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
and yet with all these freshman playing oh so great against WCU, next year, they will still choke in big games. seriously, nobody cares about UTC.

whoanellie
October 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I saw the highlight video of UVa./Wise and that was so pitiful How sad was that? ya'll let them score so you could make a 99yd return? those boys aren't use to running on flat ground
what options are left?

GaSouthern
October 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
HAHAHAHAHA this fool is already bragging about next season.
chattownmocs, what you don't get is that your team is the floormat that teams like GSU, App, Woffie, FU wipe their feet on before we go to the playoffs. You are nothing more than a tune up.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I saw the highlight video of UVa./Wise and that was so pitiful How sad was that? ya'll let them score so you could make a 99yd return? those boys aren't use to running on flat ground
what options are left?
I was laughing at their offense, only put up -3 yards in the first half and we let the 3rd stringers play after that xlolx

pike51
October 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM
So, if I'm smoking crack by thinking GSU and Wofford are the 2 best teams in FCS right now... then tell me Chattown... who are the 2 best teams in FCS? I mean, apparently you are the all knowing. Please share your knowledge with us. We await your response with eager anticipation!!

pike51
October 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM

I can't argue against that... but keep in mind, GSU's D-Line is pretty good and they have more experience against the option (and against Wofford).

The GSU vs Wofford game should be a lot of fun!

Smitty
October 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
So, if I'm smoking crack by thinking GSU and Wofford are the 2 best teams in FCS right now... then tell me Chattown... who are the 2 best teams in FCS? I mean, apparently you are the all knowing. Please share your knowledge with us. We await your response with eager anticipation!!

Obvious answer if you ignore the W-L count... UTC first WCU second

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
HAHAHAHAHA this fool is already bragging about next season.
chattownmocs, what you don't get is that your team is the floormat that teams like GSU, App, Woffie, FU wipe their feet on before we go to the playoffs. You are nothing more than a tune up.

Thats funny because the only one of those teams who has even beaten Chattanooga twice in a row is App State and that was by a combined 3 points. No Chattanooga doesnt appaear to be anyones "floormat"

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM

UNI and Montana State. Maybe others. Time will tell.

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM
FWIW, WCU scored 7 on the Furman D. The other 2 TD's were a KO return and with 7 seconds left against second/third teamers.
The UTC margin of victory may have been skewed by 5 WCU TO's, 2 of which went for TD's and a pile it on UTC TD with 22 seconds left, plus FU was at WCU and UTC was home but no sense in facts getting in the way. UTC is much better than FU. xbowx

22 seconds left in the 3rd quarter? Chattanooga was up 44-0 with over 10 minutes left in the 3rd. They did not score in the 4th. Their backup QB left in the 3rd quarter, the 3rd stringer played the rest of the game. Western Carolina's only score came after a chattanooga fumble at their 1 yard line. But dont let your so called facts get in the way of reality. Do you really believe that you are going to even be in the game at Chattanooga? You arent. Chattanooga will roll you.

eaglemachine
October 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
chattownmocs must be an angry south pole elf.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thats funny because the only one of those teams who has even beaten Chattanooga twice in a row is App State and that was by a combined 3 points. No Chattanooga doesnt appaear to be anyones "floormat"

considering Wofford was the walking wounded 2 years ago, everyone else forgets that year. Wofford has rolled Chatty in the last few years when they were healthy.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I can't argue against that... but keep in mind, GSU's D-Line is pretty good and they have more experience against the option (and against Wofford).

The GSU vs Wofford game should be a lot of fun!

I will be honest, I think GSU has a good DL, but looking stats I don't think they're as good as they were last year. Wasn't there a key injury on DL/LB? GSU is a definite second in terms of what Wofford has faced. App is really good too. I'm not sold on Chatty's D considering they let 2 other option teams score on them often

pike51
October 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I will be honest, I think GSU has a good DL, but looking stats I don't think they're as good as they were last year. Wasn't there a key injury on DL/LB? GSU is a definite second in terms of what Wofford has faced. App is really good too. I'm not sold on Chatty's D considering they let 2 other option teams score on them often

I thikn you'll be surprised with GSU's DL. The difference between last year and this year is the coordinator. I'm not sure we're quite as agressive up front with regards to getting up the field. Teams are not able to run up the middle. Running yards against us have been outside, mostly by that freak of nature 3rd string QB Chatty had. I also thin kwe've been very conservative on the DL with play calling. I think we dial it up when necessary but otherwise, don't show too much.

With that, I think Wofford will have success in their passing game against us because we won't be overly agressive in getting to the QB so we can stop that german RB guy you have :). We tend to play more horozontally on the DL this season... not necessarally a bad thing. They can still get after it when necessary (2 point attempt by Chatty).

apaladin
October 18th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Just a reminder in case you've forgotten UTC is now 1-16 against FU since last years UTC win. I am sure it will be 2-16 in a couple of weeks. xbowx

blueballs
October 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I will be honest, I think GSU has a good DL, but looking stats I don't think they're as good as they were last year. Wasn't there a key injury on DL/LB?

Dion DuBose, starting DE was hurt (broken leg) late last year and hasn't made it back yet... he was a heckuva player. The miss Derek Heyden too, who was pre-season all conference and is lost for the year with a neck injury.

GSU hasn't really dialed up the pressure the way they did last year but they have been very good at defending the goal line.

I fully expect the Wofford/GSU game(s) this year to take on a complexion similar to last year's games, which were incredibly exciting, down to the last minute, and with big plays and turnovers deciding the winner.

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
considering Wofford was the walking wounded 2 years ago, everyone else forgets that year. Wofford has rolled Chatty in the last few years when they were healthy.

Wofford sucked terribly 2 years ago and thats why Chattanooga rolled them.

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM

If Georgia Southern truly is the juggernaut that everyone seems to think they are than 28 points isnt that bad. Citadel wasnt necessarily the option that Chattanooga couldnt handle. They had 60 yards in the entire first half. A team lost its focused and could not recover.

chattownmocs
October 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Just a reminder in case you've forgotten UTC is now 1-16 against FU since last years UTC win. I am sure it will be 2-16 in a couple of weeks. xbowx

1-0 since last years win, and it will be 2-0.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Chattanooga sucked terribly last year and that's why Wofford rolled them.

FIFA

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM

As mentioned by another poster, Dion Dubose was injured late in the season last year. However, the DL we have now is the same one that faced Wofford in Gibbs Stadium last December, Dubose was injured before that game. They know what they're doing.