PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 8.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 16th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I was 5-0 this past week, pushing my overall record to 33-4. The Citadel's effort against Appalachian State showed they have come a long way. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Wofford (3 of 5) - Mercifully called off the dogs in the second half after having their way in the first half.
2) Georgia Southern (2 of 5) - Dominated Furman
3) Appalachian State (3 of 5) - Had to fight off an impressive comeback attempt by The Citadel.
4) Samford (4 of 5) - Will BlazerDog be eating crow this week? We'll find out soon enough.
5) Elon (4 of 4) - Once the luckiest team in the SoCon, they are now on life support.
6) Furman (4 of 5) - Once figured to be a sleeper this year, they now head into the meatgrinder part of their schedule.
7) The Citadel (5 of 5) - Has nothing to be ashamed of vs. ASU but now in a win or else situation.
8) Chattanooga (4 of 4) - Cardiac Mocs annihilate Western at home in a struggle to keep their playoff hopes alive.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - If I was a Western man, I'd say that Dennis Wagner has to go.

Predictions
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern - No brainer of the week
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - No threepeat for the Catamounts
Chattanooga @ Elon (Elimination Game) - Mocs' newly found offensive threat too much for the Phoenix.
Wofford @ Furman - Heads back to the grind that is the SoCon race.
Samford @ Appalachian State - Somebody's going to be eating crow this week.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
One other note, The Citadel and WCU are also eliminated from SoCon title contention.

GaSouthern
October 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I don't know why Presby is a gimmie game for GSU since they gave the very best team in our conference everything they could handle. Since Wofford is #1 we should be terrified of presby

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
My comments...

Furman seems to be on the right track. GSU was just tired of losing to Furman at home and played with their A-game for four quarters. Special teams and red zone blunders by Furman made the game look not quite as close as it was.

App. State versus Samford is definitely an intriguing matchup. Is Samford for real? Has App. finally gelled on offense? Will App. State bench their all-American and Payton finalist for Jamal Jackson? Why is GSU-Presbyterian on GPTV instead of this one?

GSU and Wofford are clearly the top 2 and interchangeable until someone shows otherwise.

Chatty is the best team we've played all year, period. I think App. will agree sans Virginia Tech after this week. No one should count them out.

1/2. GSU
2/1. Wofford
3. App. State
4. Chatty
5. Sammy
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western

Samford @ App. State - much as I want Samford to win to increase the chances for the SoCon to get 4 teams in, I think App. will find a way to come out on top at the rock.

Presbyterian @ GSU - We take care of business at home and get one step closer to locking up an AL bid

Chattanooga @ Elon - Payback time for Chatty, who gets the win this week

Wofford @ Furman - See my comments about Furman above. Could be a game, Furman definitely has fight in them.

I don't know why Presby is a gimmie game for GSU since they gave the very best team in our conference everything they could handle. Since Wofford is #1 we should be terrified of presby

Of course, they also got thumped by Furman so who knows.

straightshooter
October 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
My comments...

Furman seems to be on the right track. GSU was just tired of losing to Furman at home and played with their A-game for four quarters. Special teams and red zone blunders by Furman made the game look not quite as close as it was.

App. State versus Samford is definitely an intriguing matchup. Is Samford for real? Has App. finally gelled on offense? Will App. State bench their all-American and Payton finalist for Jamal Jackson? Why is GSU-Presbyterian on GPTV instead of this one?

GSU and Wofford are clearly the top 2 and interchangeable until someone shows otherwise.

Chatty is the best team we've played all year, period. I think App. will agree sans Virginia Tech after this week. No one should count them out.

1/2. GSU
2/1. Wofford
3. App. State
4. Chatty
5. Sammy
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western

Samford @ App. State - much as I want Samford to win to increase the chances for the SoCon to get 4 teams in, I think App. will find a way to come out on top at the rock.

Presbyterian @ GSU - We take care of business at home and get one step closer to locking up an AL bid

Chattanooga @ Elon - Payback time for Chatty, who gets the win this week

Wofford @ Furman - See my comments about Furman above. Could be a game, Furman definitely has fight in them.

Of course, they also got thumped by Furman so who knows.

Pretty sure the GSU/Presbyterian game is not on TV. I Think GPTV has UTC/Elon.

asumike83
October 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM

It is a gimme because Presbyterian is a terrible team. Furman hung what, about 70 on them? GSU will roll by at least 4 TD's in my opinion.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I was 5-0 this past week, pushing my overall record to 33-4. The Citadel's effort against Appalachian State showed they have come a long way. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Wofford (3 of 5) - Mercifully called off the dogs in the second half after having their way in the first half.
2) Georgia Southern (2 of 5) - Dominated Furman
3) Appalachian State (3 of 5) - Had to fight off an impressive comeback attempt by The Citadel.
4) Samford (4 of 5) - Will SU DOG be eating crow this week? We'll find out soon enough.
5) Elon (4 of 4) - Once the luckiest team in the SoCon, they are now on life support.
6) Furman (4 of 5) - Once figured to be a sleeper this year, they now head into the meatgrinder part of their schedule.
7) The Citadel (5 of 5) - Has nothing to be ashamed of vs. ASU but now in a win or else situation.
8) Chattanooga (4 of 4) - Cardiac Mocs annihilate Western at home in a struggle to keep their playoff hopes alive.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - If I was a Western man, I'd say that Dennis Wagner has to go.

Predictions
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern - No brainer of the week
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - No threepeat for the Catamounts
Chattanooga @ Elon (Elimination Game) - Mocs' newly found offensive threat too much for the Phoenix.
Wofford @ Furman - Heads back to the grind that is the SoCon race.
Samford @ Appalachian State - Somebody's going to be eating crow this week.

I think you have me confused with the flamboyant poster called BlazerDog. I have not predicted a win at Boone. I will say that our team has improved, and IF we could play our best, then the seemingly impossible might just be possible. This is a pretty good Samford Team, which has not yet played their best game. There is some speed and talent here, but I'm sure we will be a big underdog at Boone as everyone is.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I think you have me confused with the flamboyant poster called BlazerDog. I have not predicted a win at Boone. I will say that our team has improved, and IF we could play our best, then the seemingly impossible might just be possible. This is a pretty good Samford Team, which has not yet played their best game. There is some speed and talent here, but I'm sure we will be a big underdog at Boone as everyone is.

I know it was some Samford poster whose last part of his screen name is dog. Please accept my apologies.

GSU Eagle
October 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Here is how I would put it:

1. Georgia Southern (yesterday's demolition of Furman puts Eagles back at #1)
2. Wofford (Keeps rolling along with win over someone nobody knows)
3. Appalachian St. (Held on for win over Citadel)
4. Chattanooga (Still in the discussion for playoffs)
5. Samford (This team is coming on and has huge game vs. App this Saturday)
6. Citadel (Playing better, almost had a remarkable comeback vs. App)
7. Furman (2 consecutive losses to Samford and GSU)
8. Elon (Turnovers just keep coming and coming)
9. Western Carolina (Another long, long year in progress).

I still think 3 SoCon teams and possibly 4 make playoffs (GSU, Wofford, and App. St. with a very outside chance of Chattanooga).

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
GSU should beat PC badly. Don't take how close they played Wofford too closely. It was an anomaly of a fourth quarter for us, they couldn't stop our offense.

I'll honestly be pulling for Samford against App State because I want to see 4 teams from The Socon in the playoffs, that doesn't translate to a win though, especially in Boone.

Wofford is a more physical and more complete team than Furman IMO, no excuse we shouldn't score at least 30 on them with how our offense is clicking, and their offensive philosophy plays into Wofford's advantage as Furman will have to pass the ball more because they won't be able to run the ball like they were able to in their victories. We hate Furman, and will take them seriously. Wofford 41 Furman 19

elon turns the ball over a bunch again and Chatty wins.

The Citadel beats Western in a high scoring affair

OL FU
October 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. ASU
4. Chat
5. Samford
6. FU
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. WCU.

Predictions
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern -
The Citadel @ Western Carolina -
Chattanooga @ Elon
Wofford @ Furman -
Samford @ Appalachian State

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. ASU
4. Chat
5. Samford
6. FU
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. WCU.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Elon
Wofford @ Furman -

Ballsy OL FU. Putting Wofford over us after we thumped you by 30 points yesterday. Why?

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ballsy OL FU. Putting Wofford over us after we thumped you by 30 points yesterday. Why?

because he picked us preseason to win the socon :D

The Cats
October 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern
The Citadel @ Western Carolina
Chattanooga @ Elon
Wofford @ Furman
Samford @ Appalachian State - App, but only because they are at home, App by 7.

OL FU
October 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM

As YT says, I picked Wofford to win from the start and don't see a reason to change. I hope they don't thump us by 30 but it is possible.

gomocs82
October 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
1A. Wofford
1B. GSU
3. ASU
4. UTC
5. Samfor
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. WCU

GSU over PC
Cit over WCU
UTC over Elon
Wofford over Furman
ASU over Samord

Jiggs
October 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. ASU
4. Samford
5. Chatt
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. WCU.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Elon
Wofford @ Furman

asumike83
October 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Appalachian State
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. The Citadel
9. Western Carolina

Predictions:
Wofford @ Furman
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern
Chattanooga @ Elon
The Citadel @ Western Carolina

GaSouthern
October 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. ASU
4. Samford
5. Chatt
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. WCU.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Elon
Wofford @ Furman

I agree, I think Samford shocks App this weekend.

md64179
October 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Rankings

1. GSU
2. Wofford
3. APP
4. Samford
5. UTC
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. El Cid
9. Western

This weeks winners
GSU
El Cid
UTC
Wofford
APP

Bear1
October 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
3. Appalachian State
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
9. Western Carolina

GATA_Eagles
October 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
1/2. Georgia Southern
2/1. Wofford
3. Appalachian State
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. The Citadel
9. Western Carolina

Predictions:
Samford @ Appalachian State - I could see Samford somehow pull off the upset this week, but I'm going with App.
Wofford @ Furman - Furman may put up a fight, but Wofford comes out of Greenville with a W.
Presbyterian @ Georgia Southern - xthumbsupx
Chattanooga @ Elon - Chattanooga steamrolls Elon - especially if they keep throwing INTs
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - Citadel squad comes into Cullowhee and takes care of business

StorminASU
October 17th, 2011, 09:03 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
3. Appalachian State
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Please tell me again, how is Chattanooga ranked above App?

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Because these are power rankings and Chattanooga is better than App.

Eaglesrus
October 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
3. Appalachian State
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Looks like he has 'em tied to me, but if you're asking why he didn't list them in alphabetical order, he'll have to answer that. Welcome to the board, Bear.

appfan2008
October 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Because these are power rankings and Chattanooga is better than App.

Is that why ASU BEAT utc????

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Is that why ASU BEAT utc????

No, Its because Chattanooga has a better team than Appalachian State. Even without watching the game, one should find it easy to grasp a road team who is actually better than the home team, losing by 2. If you watched the game it was pretty obvious.

Smitty
October 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
No, Its because Chattanooga has a better team than Appalachian State. Even without watching the game, one should find it easy to grasp a road team who is actually better than the home team, losing by 2. If you watched the game it was pretty obvious.

This sounds like something that an FBS person would say...

blueballs
October 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Not sure how you can justify that... App defeated Chatty and defeated a common opponent that Chatty lost to.

BTW... close only counts in hand grenades, horseshoes, farts and screwing fat women.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Not sure how you can justify that... App defeated Chatty and defeated a common opponent that Chatty lost to.

BTW... close only counts in hand grenades, horseshoes, farts and screwing fat women.

Or in power rankings.

apaladin
October 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
1. GSU/Woffy
3. ASU
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Samford
7. Elon
8. The Citadel
9. WCU
The only one I'm sure of is #9.

blueballs
October 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
1. GSU
2. Wofford
3. App
4. Chatty
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. Citadel
9. WCU

CropDuster
October 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
1. GSU/WC
2. WC/GSU
3. ASU
4. UTC
5. SU
6. FU
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. WCU

MaxASU'81
October 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I'd suggest you ask Coleman!

Given our re-found offense...a rematch would result in a much different score....but same result....you lose!

Our house, Our game, You play, You lose!

Go APPS!

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'd suggest you ask Coleman!

Given our re-found offense...a rematch would result in a much different score....but same result....you lose!

Our house, Our game, You play, You lose!

Go APPS!

Anytime, You, Anywhere...Chattanooga by 3 tds.

whoanellie
October 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM
you would be an expert with that resume'

FurmanWins!!
October 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2788/img0117rt.jpg

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Just remember, fans are not allowed on the field.

eaglesrback
October 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Anytime, You, Anywhere...Chattanooga by 3 tds.

You are still out of your mind.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM

okay, now THAT was kind of funny. Barney.

FurmanWins!!
October 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
okay, now THAT was kind of funny. Barney.

Thanks, here is me and my girl dancing on the field after we beat the terriers down on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWQmzW8aV0

CID1990
October 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Good to see you agree that The Citadel is then a better team than Chattanooga.

It was your argument, Bubba, so you own it.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Here's hoping Furman turns the SoCon upside down on Saturday.

I realize GSU beat Furman like a drum, but there were some encouraging takeaways. Furman didn't play poorly (except in the kicking game), but that was as good as I have ever seen Georgia Southern look (and I've seen them a time or two).

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Here's hoping Furman turns the SoCon upside down on Saturday.

I realize GSU beat Furman like a drum, but there were some encouraging takeaways. Furman didn't play poorly (except in the kicking game), but that was as good as I have ever seen Georgia Southern look (and I've seen them a time or two).

I completely agree other than the bit about us "looking good". The ball, penalties, everything went our way that game. If you turn a couple of ill timed FU turnovers into FU points and that game becomes much much closer. The score does not reflect how that game was on the field. I still think GSU should have won by 10 or 14 but it was not the 30 point blowout as people may think by looking at the box score. It does give me hope for next year though because we will have a much faster QB running the offense next year and we should be just as good on defense.

seantaylor
October 21st, 2011, 01:20 AM
I completely agree other than the bit about us "looking good". The ball, penalties, everything went our way that game. If you turn a couple of ill timed FU turnovers into FU points and that game becomes much much closer. The score does not reflect how that game was on the field. I still think GSU should have won by 10 or 14 but it was not the 30 point blowout as people may think by looking at the box score. It does give me hope for next year though because we will have a much faster QB running the offense next year and we should be just as good on defense.

Que? We dominated that game. Would have been a lot more than 30 had the starters not come out early.