PDA

View Full Version : Okay CCU, why do you want in so bad?

dungeonjoe
May 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I have been following for many months about folks from the SoCon and whether we should let anyone in at this time.. I see where CCU folks are adamant about being in the SoCon.

May I ask a simple (maybe even stupid) question . What does the SoCon offer that CCU wants to be part of it so adamantly?

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
A. A decent conference.

The SoCon has already been saved in football by the addition of Elon and in basketball by CofC.

ccujacket
May 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Football is the only reason. The Big South is just as good of a conference in most of the other sports.

Saint3333
May 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
SoCon is better at football, basketball, soccer, and arguably baseball. The gap between the two conferences isn't that much in soccer and baseball, but in football the top 5 teams in the SoCon could win the Big South and Basketball is typically 6-7 spots higher in the RPI.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Less travel / better geographic locations. Bigger name programs would get our fans more excited. Easier travel for our fans when we are away and easier travel for the other schools when we host.

asufan87
May 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM
You'll soon have a chance to prove to ASU fans that you can travel well. I think once you expand the stadium and prove you can put butts in those seats you'll have a compelling argument for inclusion. Right now, I just don't see the need for the Socon to rush on this deal and still find EKU a more intriguing prospect to pursue. The conference footprint actually needs to expand rather than contract IMO.

Josh
May 18th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I wonder though what will CCU do when Bennett leaves. There is a shot he could be gone after this coming season. He is a great coach who will soon want more money than CCU could give right now. Would CCU still make the strides they are now without Bennett? That is what I will be ready to see and if they can travel well.

ccujacket
May 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I wonder though what will CCU do when Bennett leaves. There is a shot he could be gone after this coming season. He is a great coach who will soon want more money than CCU could give right now. Would CCU still make the strides they are now without Bennett? That is what I will be ready to see and if they can travel well.
What is your source on this? He just signed a hefty contract extension after considering taking an assistant coaching job at ECU. I doubt he'd leave for another I-AA job.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 02:19 AM
I guess there always is a 'chance' aka speculation that Bennett will leave next year but I don't think so. but if you ahve more reliable sources I'd love to hear them.

We already pay him a decent amount for I-AA with a gauranteed raise each season plus incentives. His base is 110K per year with an auto 10K raise for the next 5 years.

I think for him to leave would require a prime I-A job offer. I just don't see that happening for the next few years. Plus he seems to really care about his family that is from South Carolina, so I think the program would have to be in the South East with easy travel to / from.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 02:20 AM
I wonder though what will CCU do when Bennett leaves.

Get a new coach?

dungeonjoe
May 19th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Yeah Josh, since you are saying Bennett is leaving please tell us of this shot you say exists he will do so next year.

wouldn't it be some kind of poetic justice if Bennett coached at APP ST when Moore Leaves/retires?

Saint3333
May 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM
There's a couple other guys out there with better resumes for the ASU job.

I would take Buzz back though...

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM
wouldn't it be some kind of poetic justice if Bennett coached at APP ST when Moore Leaves/retires?

I don't think App would be a big enough program for him. I can't see him staying I-AA when he decides to leave.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
$110 to 150 would be chicken feed at almost ANY I-A program.

Josh
May 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Get a new coach?

No I mean what coach will they get. I wonder if they will bring someone in like Bennett or go for an older experienced coach.

Josh
May 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Yeah it would. Bennett would be interested I have heard. He would like to take ASU to I-A. I still don't see him staying even if ASU went I-A with him as coach. I could see him coaching in the SEC or ACC in 10 years for sure.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM
No I mean what coach will they get. I wonder if they will bring someone in like Bennett or go for an older experienced coach.

Who knows? That is something you cross the bridge when you get there and try to get the best guy available.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM
$110 to 150 would be chicken feed at almost ANY I-A program.

No argument from me on that point. I have always said that I think he'll leave CCU for I-A and not I-AA.

Yeah it would. Bennett would be interested I have heard. He would like to take ASU to I-A. I still don't see him staying even if ASU went I-A with him as coach. I could see him coaching in the SEC or ACC in 10 years for sure.

Who did you hear that from? I just don't see it happening. It 'could' - just not likely. How much is App paying their coaches?

youwouldno
May 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Bennett seems like a smart guy. That pretty much rules out going to Appy to "take them I-A," since at the extreme least that's a very tough, risky job with probably not too much more pay.

Every top I-AA coach is always going to have the possibility of moving up. Bobby Lamb was mentioned by some papers as a possibility for the ECU head coach position recently. But it's not automatic a I-AA coach will move up to I-A, because going to a losing program might be worse for their career in the long run than waiting for a better opportunity.

So far as CCU, they aren't going to ever win a NC in the Big South. Since the goal in I-AA football is to win the NC, going to the SoCon makes a good deal of sense from their perspective.

rokamortis
May 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM
So far as CCU, they aren't going to ever win a NC in the Big South. Since the goal in I-AA football is to win the NC, going to the SoCon makes a good deal of sense from their perspective.

That is a good point. But I think if we did move to the SoCon we wouldn't expect to win right away - but that the increased level of competition would make our program stronger in the long run.

Lapper
May 20th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I really don't care if we do. The Big South is the same if not better than the SoCon in every other sport but football. If we want to get into a real football conference I would rather go to the CAA. Hell, 80% of our student body is from the Northeast and most of them head back after graduation anyway. So it would probably be better to play teams from up there where our future alumni can actually see a game.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM
You're a state supported school yet 80% of the student body is from the Northeast??? Interesting.

US News and World Report College guide says 56% of CCU students are from South Carolina, however.

Incidentally, if most head out of state after graduation, the state's taxpayers are getting gyped. Also, seems like it would be hard to build a fan following/support if most leave.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Rokamortis seems to have a handle on the reality of the transition/move.
Every other new member over the past two decades has endured the transition's adjustment period. Even Marshall and GSU(to amuch lesser extent). Wofford took a while to get its football program up to speed (six years) and is working gradually on its other sports. Elon appears to have a good plan.

rokamortis
May 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
You're a state supported school yet 80% of the student body is from the Northeast??? Interesting.

US News and World Report College guide says 56% of CCU students are from South Carolina, however.

Incidentally, if most head out of state after graduation, the state's taxpayers are getting gyped. Also, seems like it would be hard to build a fan following/support if most leave.

I can't speak to the numbers, but i do know that the percentage of in-state students has increased since football was announced. Only a small percentage of our budget is supported by the state - something like 12% if I recall correctly, there was an article in the Sun News about a year ago that showed what we received compared to other schools.

A lot of the alumni seem to go back 'home' while many others love the south and stay close. But the have to go where the money / jobs are so you'll see many in Charleston, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta - close enough for a quick trip back to see a game.

rokamortis
May 21st, 2005, 10:44 AM
I am not totally against the CAA, if they would even have us. They are full on football schools now, but if they ever needed one i think it would be an interesting proposition. I'm just a fan of playing schools that you can actually travel to on a regular basis. This helps everyone's fans for attendance. But if the CCA were interested it should solve a lot of the problems that UNCW is having since we would be a travel partner.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't know, rok, but when the gap between in-state and out-of-state tuition is as much as yours, then 12% doesn't sound anywhere close. ($5,270 vs $13,000) Sounds much more like 50 % +. Maybe you guys get 12% of the university system's budget?
It would be HIGHLY unusual for any state university to get such a small percentage of its budget from state sources. 12% would be practically being disowned. ;)

rokamortis
May 21st, 2005, 11:55 AM
12% would be practically being disowned. ;)

That has been our opinion :eek:

In all reality - if you aren't USC you don't get that large of a portion. Although better than us - Clemson and Citadel only get 22-24 %. plsu we are the new kid on the block - only been independant since 1993.

Horner said CCU receives about 13 percent of its total revenue from the S.C. General Assembly. Although the school's budget has increased to accommodate growth, the state's contribution to the budget has not changed. To make up for the shortfall, the school must rely more on student tuition, fund-raising and other activities, she said.

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
If they'd let ASU join the CAA I'd jump at that.

Lapper
May 23rd, 2005, 09:10 PM

56%, that sounds about right because after 2 years in this state ( less in some other cases) an out-of-state student can apply for in-state status. It doesn't mean they are from this state and plan to stay here. Coastal Carolina is pretty much a private college and accepts a large amount of out-of-state students because that's where the money is. In most of my classes there are only about 10% who are actually from SC. Most are from NY, NJ, PA, and MA who come down here and party at the Beach, flunk out, and go back home. President Ingles has done a great job though to improve this. :spank:

The Gadfly
May 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I have to agree with Lapper because all you hear in class is "YO...hey teach, when's dis papah dues?" :(

- I want us to get in the SoCon because I have friends and family who went to SoCon schools and I want the Chants to kick all of their butts :) .

OL FU
May 24th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with Lapper because all you hear in class is "YO...hey teach, when's dis papah dues?" :(

- I want us to get in the SoCon because I have friends and family who went to SoCon schools and I want the Chants to kick all of their butts :) .

Now that's a legitimate sports reason.

SoCon48
May 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Good thing Ingles is working on it, because a state supported school is not benefitting the taxpayer, the economy and the state at large if they are primarily catering to kids who go back out of state after either graduating or flunking out.
It's a big drain on the state's finances. Especially if they get granted the in-state rate after a year or two. Not smart for CCU nor the state. :mad:

FU97
May 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Now that's a legitimate sports reason.

Too bad it won't happen soon.......

Lapper
May 24th, 2005, 06:52 PM
It's happening anyway...that is with the SoCon teams that have a pair to play us ;) . We already have ASU, Elon, and had Wofford until they noticed that they would rather get paid to get beat. 2006 season will have us playing GSU and possibly WCU.

a state supported school is not benefitting the taxpayer, the economy and the state at large if they are primarily catering to kids who go back out of state after either graduating or flunking out.
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse