PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 7

superman7515
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
As always, hopefully this will help with filling out your ballots for this week, or at least make for some interesting banter. For the majority of the scores I'm using ESPN and they aren't always the most reliable when getting the FCS scores out quickly, so if you see a mistake, please leave a note here or shoot me a PM.

AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 7 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdGtOVmN3ZTdITGFHamdCRVBsSnl6M Hc&hl=en_US)

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for doing this. Tis a big help. FWIW, I typically go to The Sports Network for scores, stats and schedules. I like the set up of their website. Easy to maneuver.

JSUBison
October 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM
You have UND beating Montana Western. UND was idle this week.

superman7515
October 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I copy last weeks over and then fill in, saves some time. Must have missed clearing out last weeks score. Thanks.

Squealofthepig
October 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
What a weird week. I went from having way too many in the 23-30 range to barely any.

JMUNJ08
October 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for doing this. Tis a big help. FWIW, I typically go to The Sports Network for scores, stats and schedules. I like the set up of their website. Easy to maneuver.

I do the same thing. My last week's poll, sports network for schedules/standings and this great google doc!

bjtheflamesfan
October 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I dont think youll find Coastal near the top 25 anytime again this season after this past week...

WWII
October 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
albany is 0-1 against top 25 (Maine)

danefan
October 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM
albany is 0-1 against top 25 (Maine)

I don't think Maine was ranked when we played them. I think he only counts top 25 W-L records if they were ranked at he time of th game.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I don't think Maine was ranked when we played them. I think he only counts top 25 W-L records if they were ranked at he time of th game.

Bad way to do it if thats the case.

Should matter what the teams are currently imo. I can understand if you dont wanna do it that way cause it creates alot more work.

superman7515
October 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Yeah, what with that being the way every other poll does it. Clearly a terrible way to go about it. Kinda like Nebraska not getting credit on any site for a Top 25 win over Washington even though they just got ranked for the first time this week.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, what with that being the way every other poll does it. Clearly a terrible way to go about it. Kinda like Nebraska not getting credit on any site for a Top 25 win over Washington even though they just got ranked for the first time this week.

Puts to much emphasis on the unreliable early polls.

Preseason top 25
EWU *
GSU
WM
APP
UD
MSU
Woff
NDSU
UNI
UNH
JSU
UM
VU *
SFA *
LU
UR
JMU
Chatty *
Liberty
CP *
SCST *
SEMO *
SIU *
UCA *
BC *

* not ranked anymore

All those stars are top 25 wins in week 1 and not if they are played in week 7... (10 teams, if you dont wanna count yourself) More than 1/3 of the poll..

I didnt realize you just copy everything the way the BCS does it. Carry on.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Puts to much emphasis on the unreliable early polls.

It's an imperfect system, but there is no perfect system. Some teams fall from the rankings due to key players falling to injury and not playing like the same team afterward. A team that competes like a top 25 team before losing their best playmaker(s) should count as a top 25 win if the win occurred while the team was healthy. On the other hand some teams start off a bit slow, then get their act together and suddenly appear in the rankings. Wins against those teams before their turnarounds might not speak as much as wins post turnaround.

No matter which way you go, there will be outliers. The current system is as good as any other way of doing it, and if you want to get into the nitty gritty for your own research, the data is available free online to do it.

superman7515
October 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I understand where you're coming from and if people would like it changed, I can look into it. I just went with the generally accepted method. It's not just the BCS, it's done for high school rankings and prep colleges as well and across sports other than football.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I understand where you're coming from and if people would like it changed, I can look into it. I just went with the generally accepted method. It's not just the BCS, it's done for high school rankings and prep colleges as well and across sports other than football.

Whatevers easier for you. Which I would assume is the current format. I do use the googledoc, I dont use it for Vs top 25 stats.

FargoBison
October 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I do think it would be more helpful if we had the current record vs the current top 25. Either that or just leave it out completely since it's a bit deceiving.

Squealofthepig
October 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I do think it would be more helpful if we had the current record vs the current top 25. Either that or just leave it out completely since it's a bit deceiving.

That's easy enough to do with your own sheet - I have a separate sheet in my voting master doc that looks at the current top 25 (and about 30 others) and what they've done vs. the current top 25 - vlookup is your friend!

jmufan999
October 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM

Just my opinion, but I think the system you have is just fine. Definitely appreciate it.

LeadBolt
October 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Should matter what the teams are currently imo. I can understand if you dont wanna do it that way cause it creates alot more work.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to go back and revise this each week as they change and share it with the rest of us then. Kudos to Super for taking the time to compile this and set it up to share with all of us. It is a great help.

appfan2008
October 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for doing this each week... nice way to catch mistakes or teams left out...

BEAR
October 17th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ok. UCA was ranked preseason for a reason. Now they are 4-3 but let's look at why.

Loss to FBS Arkansas State. Half the UCA offense and defense was out with injuries and Ark. State is actually pretty good this year.

Loss to FBS Louisiana Tech. We took them to overtime and should have won that one. (still in disbelief)

Loss to Sam Houston State. Without our starting QB and some guys who got banged up against Louisiana Tech...needless to say SHSU is VERY good.

Minus the two FBS schools, UCA has only lost to SHSU in the FCS.

C'mon voters, move em up. I think they can run the table the rest of the year and get the 7 dI wins. xsmileyclapx xlolx

Twentysix
October 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Perhaps you would be so kind as to go back and revise this each week as they change and share it with the rest of us then. Kudos to Super for taking the time to compile this and set it up to share with all of us. It is a great help.

I could do it anytime I am home. I go to most games, which would hinder most weeks.

DSUrocks07
October 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Norfolk should be ahead of Richmond AT LEAST