PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh at Fordham, Mr. C's Game Thread

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM
NEE YORK CITY, N.Y. — The press box at Jack Coffey Field on the Fordham campus holds special memories for me. It is the only place where I covered a college football game by Internet, during Hurricane-turned-tropical-storm Hanna, with flooding rains filling the stadium and then receding.

Heavy winds slammed against the press box, giving me a feeling of a captain at seas on an empty boat.

The game I watched that night was Montana playing at Cal Poly in a battle between two ranked teams that eventually made the playoffs.

The game I had come to see that night, between host Fordham and Rhode Island, had been postponed because of the torrential rains and winds about the time I arrived on campus that evening from the first game of my doubleheader as Maine held off Monmouth.

The game between Fordham and Rhode Island had been moved to Sunday afternoon, so being stuck in New York City, I took advantage of Fordham's high speed Internet to watch the FCS game of the week from long distance.

Here is what I wrote that evening:

It is amazing what FCS fans will do to catch a good football game. There were plenty of folks around the country finding any way possible to follow the showdown between No. 5 ranked Montana and No. 11 Cal Poly on Saturday evening.

Fans in Montana were fortunately to have a nice, local television broadcast of the game, but the rest of us had to find more creative ways to watch the FCS game of the week.

For me, it entailed sitting in an empty press box at Fordham, with the wind howling and crashing again the stands at Jack Coffey Field and the rains from tropical storm Hanna flooding the stadium. But at least with a fast, wireless internet connection, I was able to see streaming video of a classic game.

With my game between Fordham and Rhode Island washed away until Sunday, at least I had a game to watch.

Others managed to find radio broadcasts, or to follow along with the play-by-play on numerous message boards.

One thing was for sure, it was a contest that lived up to its billing, with Montana holding for a 30-28 victory when Cal Poly junior kicker Andrew Gardner missed a 27-yard field goal wide left with 38 seconds remaining.

It was a game of changing tides, as one team and then the other stole the momentum. Montana quarterback Cole Bergquist and his Cal Poly counterpart Jonathan Dally exchanged touchdowns early, Bergquist firing one TD pass to Mike Ferriter from 34 yards and running 15 yards for another score, while Dally was utilizing the awesome skills of Ramses Barden to earn touchdown strikes of 50 and 11 yards.

James Noble capped off a great second quarter for the Mustangs with a two-yard touchdown burst to give his team a 21-14 lead, but it was Montana’s turn to regain control in the third period. Bergquist (13-of-22 for 163 yards passing) found Ferriter again for a 20-yard score to tie the game at 21.

One of the key plays of the game came early in the fourth quarter when Cal Poly was pinned back in its own end by a punt. Dally was hit near his own goal line by Craig Mettler, forcing the ball to be fumbled in the end zone.

A wild scramble of Mustang and Grizzly players ensued in the end zone and officials finally ruled that Cal Poly had recovered the fumble and Montana had scored a safety.

The free kick that followed gave Montana excellent field position and the Grizzlies struck on Andrew Schmidt’s four-yard TD blast to make it 30-21 in Montana’s favor with 11:07 remaining.

It took less than three minutes for Cal Poly to answer and the Mustangs cut the lead to 30-28 on Noble’s two-yard touchdown and Gardner’s extra point.

Montana looked to score a knockout punch on the next drive, but the Mustang defense stopped the Grizzlies on fourth down, sacking Bergquist at the Cal Poly 44-yard line.

Mixing runs and passes, Dally moved the Mustangs to a first and 10 from the Montana 11 with just over two minutes to play. But rather than going for the juggler vein and trying to score a clinching touchdown, Cal Poly went conservative.

Hoping to set up the scenario that had worked in the 29-27 victory over San Diego State the week before, the Mustangs tried to run out the clock and get in position for a Gardner field-goal attempt. Gardner had drilled a 21-yarder on the final play of the game against San Diego State.

But the fates were not as kind to Gardner this time and on fourth down, he pushed his potential game-winning kick wide of the uprights as the Grizzlies celebrated a huge win.

Montana got surpassingly sturdy play from its defense, particularly against the Cal Poly option, in the second half and Bergquist did what he does best - managed his team to a victory.

The Grizzlies showed how awesome their offensive line is in blowing open holes, with Colin Dow, Brent Russum, J.D. Quinn and company helping Schmidt to a 26-carry, 145-yard performance.

Ferriter came up big as the next Montana receiving star, with three clutch catches for 65 yards (21.7 average) and two TDs.

There were some positives for Cal Poly, even with the heart-crushing loss. But there also were some problems.

The Mustang defense showed it again has the means to rush the passer, harassing and sacking Bergquist plenty of times in the second half, particularly when the game was on the line.

Dally completed 16-of-23 passes for 248 yards and rushed 16 times for 80 yards, but he misfired on some chances to give the Mustangs more points.

Barden looked unstoppable with seven receptions for 131 yards and those two scores, but has often been Cal Poly’s problem during his four years in the lineup, the Mustangs didn’t utilize Barden enough.

There were plenty of questions after the game.

Was this showdown a closing or opening act for the two teams?

Was Montana showing the ability to continue its impressive streak of Big Sky championships and postseason appearances?

Can Cal Poly rebound from an emotional loss to reach the playoffs and possibly meet Montana again, like it did in 2005?

Only time will tell, but this writer is one who wouldn’t seeing a sequel from these two teams.

We didn't get that sequel, as Weber State went down to Cal Poly in the first round of the playoffs and beat the talent-laden Mustangs before Montana exacted some revenge against the Wildcats in the quarterfinals, on the way the Grizzlies' march to the NCAA Division I championship game and a runner-up finish to Richmond.

The sky is cloudy and the wind is whipping around Fordham's beautiful Bronx-located campus today, but it isn't anything compared to that night in 2008.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
My main reason for being here in the Bronx today is about three-fold. I want to get another look at Lehigh quarterback Chris Lum, it is light week for good FCS matchups in my area and it gives me the opportunity to see a Fordham club I haven't seen in person since the Rams made the decision to go full-scholarship in football. The 1 p.m. start time also alllows me to work my way up to Easton, PA. later in the day for a 6 p.m. game between the Leopards and Yale.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
It isn't much of a revelation that Lehigh senior Chris Lum is having one of the best years of any FCS quarterback. I have watched Lum closely, since the time he arrived on the Lehigh campus, and have been impressed with his development. My first observation of him was to wonder why the Mountain Hawks were wasting time with a turnover machine named J.B. Clark at quarterback when Lum seemed from the beginning to be the more talented player. Lum eventually beat out Clark and Clark reacted by quitting the program.

Now as a senior, Lum — the 6-2, 205-pound Walter Payton Award candidate — is on his way to possibly leading Lehigh to back-to-back Patriot League championships and FCS playoff berths. But along with that success, some people are taking Lum's success to extremes.

One writer, who should be immediately drug tested, went so far as to compare Lum to the most legendary of FCS quarterbacks, Alcorn State's Steve McNair this week. Kyle Kensing of saturdayblitz.com mostly made the comparison along statistical lines. Obviously, Kensing never saw McNair as a college prodigy, because if he had, Kensing would have never made such a goofy connection.

McNair's toughness and his ability to both throw and run were something we may never again see at the FCS level. McNair won the Payton Award and finished third for the Heisman Trophy before becoming a first-round NFL draft choice and going on to a superlative career with the Tennessee Titans.

As good as Lum might be — and he is indeed good — he doesn't come close to being the same type of player as other FCS quarterback greats like Georgia Southern's Tracy Ham and Jayson Foster, Montana's Dave Dickenson, Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards, or many other iconic performers, let alone McNair.

One thing that Kensing and many other writers need to learn is to use your eyes to evaluate talent and not to rely so much on numbers. If you had ever seen McNair, you would know he was on another universe, compared to most college players.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Fordham won the coin toss, deferred receiving to the second half and Lehigh has received the ball for the first possession. Taking over at its own 32, Lehigh got a pass completion from Lum to Jake Drwal on first down and Lum ran for a first down on a quarterback draw for four yards and a first down at the 44.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Lehigh seems to be trying to use the draw play in various forms early on to slow down the Fordham pass rush. But on third and three from the Fordham 49, Lum overthrew Ryan Spadola. Spadola pushed off to get separation on the play down the Fordham sideline, but got bailed out when the officials called pass interference on the Rams. It was a horrendous call, but it gave the Hawks a first down on the 34.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Lum under-threw Jimmy Jefferson to come up a yard short on third down, but the Hawks are going for it on fourth down from the 25. Michael Colvin went for four yards and a first down at the 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
First and goal for the Hawks at the 10 after an 11-yard run.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Nose guard Thomas Lloyd got a little over-agressive against Lum after Lum ran for five yards on second down. Third down from the five was a screen pass to Zach Barket and Barket was stood up by safety Jake Dixon at the six.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Lehigh's always interesting kicking game got the Hawks on the scoreboard when Tim Divers hit on a 22-yard field goal with 7:56 left in the first period to give Lehigh a 3-0 lead.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Fordham picked up 17 yards on the kickoff and starts its first possession at its own 38. The first play was a bomb from Ryan Higgins than went incomplete.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Something the Lehigh defense hasn't done very much this season is earn a three and out, but that is exactly what those Engineering Mountain Hawks (thanks Otto Fad for the reference) did on this drive. Patrick Murray, a junior pro prospect, just punted the ball for 59 yards to the Lehigh five.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Some early drops by Lehigh make you wonder how focused the Hawks are today against the 1-4 Rams.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Lehigh is on the move to the Fordham 47 after a nice slant throw from Lum to Jefferson.

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
The game is live at http://pizzatv.yolasite.com/fordham.php

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Nose guard John LaSure used his 6-7, 275-pound frame to tip a Lum pass away, but Lum completed the next pass to Spadola for 11 yards and a first down at the Fordham 36 before a 19-yard Matt Fitz run to the 17.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
The game is live at http://pizzatv.yolasite.com/fordham.php

Are you watching?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lum avoided a sack and then tossed a TD pass for 17 yards to Jake Drwal, who leaped into the end zone to make it 10-0 Lehigh with 3:42 left in the first period. That was a 95-yard drive.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The Rams will start drive No. 2 from their 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Fordham comes out in the wildcat formation with Griffin Murphy in this drive.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
On second and short, the Rams were called for intentional grounding. But a nice connection from Higgins to Greg Wilson, who made a leaping catch, goes for 48 yards to the Lehigh 30.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Another connection goes to the 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Fordham gets to the nine on a Higgins to Wayne completion, but then fumbles the ball away. OLB Fred Mihal on the recovery at the 11. Mihal has been on my radar for a couple of years. Good player.

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Are you watching?

Yes I am. Fordham looked like they were about to get back in the game before that turnover.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
It looks like Michael Colvin (a 6-3, 225-pound junior) is going to get some time today on some Wildcat situations.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Yes I am. Fordham looked like they were about to get back in the game before that turnover.

Lehigh had been outstanding on defense until that secondary bust, but the Hawks came back to make a good play and force a turnover. I don't know what to think of Fordham. The Rams have some talent, but something has seemed to be missing since that 2006 PL title.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Patrick McGee blocked one of those silly rugby punts by Lehigh's Tim Divers to give the Rams a safety. It is Lehigh 10, Fordham 2 with seven seconds left in the first period. Divers almost ran right into the block. I hate that type of punt.

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
And Lehigh's special teams falter once again. This could be what costs them a win come playoff time.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Lorenzo Smith returned the free kick for the Rams 31 yards to midfield on the final play of the first period.

van
October 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Patrick McGee blocked one of those silly rugby punts by Lehigh's Tim Divers to give the Rams a safety. It is Lehigh 10, Fordham 2 with seven seconds left in the first period. Divers almost ran right into the block. I hate that type of punt.

Our special teams have been suspect all year.

Divers is very slow to get the punt off once he catches it. Not the first block this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Lehighs special teams are still terrible.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
They are recognizing the Fordham softball team on the field. The Fordham softball squad won the first league championship in school history and advance to the NCAA playoffs. Softball is something I pay a little closer attention to these days, since my oldest daughter plays for a high school program that won the Pennsylvania 4-A state championship last spring.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Lehighs special teams are still terrible.

That has seemed to be a continual problem in the Andy Coen era. Any theories as to why?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
First down for Fordham at the Hawk 26.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Aaron Mays was wide open for Fordham near the goal line, but got his feet tangled up and fell on what would have been a Ram TD.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Fordham is facing a fourth and four from the 20 and is going for it.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
After a time out, the Rams change their mind and will kick from 37 yards out. Michael Marando's attempt is pushed through with 12:10 left in the half to make it Lehigh 10, Fordham 5.

van
October 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Is this the curse of the bye week?

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I had asked Penn coach Al Bagnoli at lunch on Wednesday how good the Fordham pass defense was? Penn had beaten Fordham 35-20 last week. Al's response ws "Not very good." Those sentiments seem appropriate right now as Lum is slicing up the Ram secondary. The Hawks have a first down at the Ram 32.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
A sliding catch gives Lehigh a first down at the 17.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Is this the curse of the bye week?

Lum looks to be a little less than sharp and the special teams are typical Lehigh, but I don't think this is going to end up being a close game.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Jefferson has been a big part of the attack today and just caught another pass for a first and goal at the three.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Lum tossed a three-yard pass to fullback Zachary Hayden, who made his first career catch for a TD to make it 17-5 Lehigh with 8:47 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:02 PM
A nice run out of the Wildcat to near midfield by Fordham's Griffin Murphy was wiped out by a holding penalty.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lehigh DB Tyler Ward hit a Fordham receiver in the numbers to break up a first-down pass and force a punt.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Lehigh's Zach Barket dropped a hand-off on a zone read play, but it bounced back into his hands to start a 36-yard run to the Fordham 18.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Lehigh is setting up for a 31-yard field goal attempt from Divers on the right hash and he pushed it just wide right with just over four minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
A back-foot throw as he was being hit from Fordham QB Ryan Higgins was almost intercepted on first down from the Ram 21.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
A beautiful throw from Higgins to Wilson gives Fordham a first down at the Ram 37.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Higgins threw a pass to a receiver short of the first down on third down and now the Rams must punt on fourth and three.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Lehigh will take over at its own 14 after another nice punt of 42 yards by Patrick Murray.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Fordham's defense has had its troubles in the first half, but safety Jake Dixon has been strong. He made a nice tackle on a first-down sweep.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Lum threw into coverage and was lucky to avoid a pick near midfield on second down.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
First down pass at the Lehigh 31 with 1:16 left in the half. Barkett with a catch at the 39 with the clock running under a minute.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
After an incompletion, there are 49 seconds left in the half at the Lehigh 39.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
First down on a draw play by Barket to the Lehigh 42. Time out Hawks with 44 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Spadola with a catch for 15 to the Ram 43.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Fitzs runs to the Ram 35 after a pass from Lum with 21 seconds left. Time out No. 2 for Lehigh.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
A perfect pass from Lum bounces off the chest of Jefferson around the 25. Third and three, 17 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM
A pass to Fitz picks up a first down at the Ram 26 and Lum downs the ball with nine seconds left in the half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Lum completion to Fitz and a time out at the Ram 19 will set up another field goal attempt for Divers from the right hash with four seconds left in the half. The kick will be from 36 yards out.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Divers put it right down the middle with his kick to end the first half with Lehigh ahead 20-5.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Decent first half for the hawks. The defense has not allowed a TD in 8+ quarters.

van
October 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Decent first half for the hawks. The defense has not allowed a TD in 8+ quarters.

Mr C - you are doing a great job!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
The writers up here in the box would give the Hawks a "C" grade for the first half. This would already be over if not for several Lehigh mistakes, from a blocked punt, to a missed field goal and a busted coverage. I guarantee that Andy Coen wasn't happy with the first half.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Mr C - you are doing a great job!

Thanks. Glad to be here. It is much more fun with fans putting in their feedback and asking questions.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Some first half stats:

Lehigh 335 yards of total offense, 91 rushing and 244 passing.

Lum is 24-of-35 for 244 yards and 2 TDs. Spadola has eight catches for 78 yards. Barket has rushed 10 times for 74 yards.

Fordham has 139 yards of total offense, 42 rushing and 97 passing.

Higgins is 7-of-14 passing for 97 yards, including 48 on one play.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the link to what is probably student coverage. Cameral work not the greatest, but better than nothing. The ESPN radio coverage is about 10 seconds ahead of the video, so I already know what's coming before I see it.
I agree that Lehigh should be much further ahead. The announcers have said they don't see the fire they saw last week, especially about the defense. Chagani got hurt..I haven't heard if he's back in yet. Lehigh's ground game is clicking which is nice to see..must have about 100 yards rushing at the half.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Harvard clobbering Bucknell 28-0 at the half

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the link to what is probably student coverage. Cameral work not the greatest, but better than nothing. .

The Bucknell game was streamed last weekend on that site. They typically have CAA and Patriot League games at http://pizzatv.yolasite.com/ . Last week's video coverage was the local Lewisburg TV station, so it all depends on the opponent and who does their games.

van
October 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
The writers up here in the box would give the Hawks a "C" grade for the first half. This would already be over if not for several Lehigh mistakes, from a blocked punt, to a missed field goal and a busted coverage. I guarantee that Andy Coen wasn't happy with the first half.

Could not agree more, we have played sloppy almost all year. This team could be scary good if they could play a completely clean game.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yes. Every week there some issues with special teams. This week it's a blocked punt for 2 points no less. ST coach really needs to get focused on these guys. We've already lost one game this year because of ST failures.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Lehigh has 20 first downs at the half...5 for Fordham

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Nice coverage on the KO. Good tackle!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
The second half is underway at Jack Coffey. Fordham will start from the 21.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Intercepttion first play by Littlejohn..returns to FU 40

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Free safety Jon Littlejohn intercepted a pass at midfield on first down and returned it to the Fordham 40. The Hawks could throw a knockout punch here.

ngineer
Barket on the way to having a great day. 2 carries and 11 yards this half..over 80 already.

Mr. C
First down for Lehigh at the Fordham 29.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
An old coach named Carl Ferrill, who specialized in the Run and Shoot formation used to have a phrase that you could throw a particular pattern "Until the cows come home. That's what it looks like as Lum and Spadola are hooking up today.

ngineer
Lehigh to the FU 16. 3rd donw

Mr. C
Lehigh has a third and seven upcoming after an incompletion and a short Barket run.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Spadola with an easy clear-out catch over the middle. First and goal at the four.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
First and goal at the four. 12 yard pass to Spadola

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lum went to a fade route on first and goal and threw a terrible interception.

Mr. C
It looked like the Hawks were setting up for a run by Barket on the first and goal and they outsmarted themselves.

ngineer
FU intercepts in endzone. Looked like a miscommunication between Lum and Spadola. Threw toward corner, Spadola was hooking in. smh

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
there we go with those Lum interceptions

Lum certainly didn't look like Steve McNair on THAT throw.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Flizak sacks QB at 18

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
But Ryan Higgins looked like John Skelton on an 82-yard strike along the Lehigh sidelines to Greg Wilson for a TD.

ngineer
RAms just struck on 82 yard TD--LU safety went for pick and missed. Kick good. Lehigh 20-12.

Mr. C
After the PAT, it is Lehigh 20, Fordham 12 with 10:19 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Rams just struck on 82 yard TD--LU safety went for pick and missed. Kick good. Lehigh 20-12.

The throw was absolutely perfect. It was a BAD gamble when you are ahead 20-5 and the other team is facing third and long.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Lehigh is doing everything needed to keep fordham in the game.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Huge momentum swing there. I would have thougth FU might have tried onsideds kicke there. LU with ball . 12 yard pass to DRwal. First down.

Mr. C
Spadola looks like he is taking candy from a baby on those clear-out routes. First down at the Lehigh 31 after another 15-yard pass play.

van
Someone needs to tell the announcers the Drawl is #9 and Spadola is #8. They have it wrong about half the time.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Pump-fake from Lum on a double route by Spadola for 50 yards to the Fordham 19.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Someone needs to tell the announcers the Drawl is #9 and Spadola is #8. They have it wrong about half the time.

Lehigh should have given them different numbers, unless they were trying to confuse defenders.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Lehigh down to the 10 mostly on a 60 yard pass to Spadola. Couple runs to the 6

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Fitz with a nice cutback for a TD from seven yards out.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Touchdown LU! Fitz on 6 yardk run.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Lehigh 27, Fordham 12 with 7:19 left in the third period.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Lehigh 27 Fordham 12

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Can we do away with STUPID celebration penalties? As long as someone isn't doing Miami-type stuff, don't FLAG IT.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
This Lehigh offense is something. Right back down the field. FU has no answere.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Lehigh will kick off from its own 15. Ridiculous.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
This Lehigh offense is something. Right back down the field. FU has no answere.

Fordham has a lot of injuries on the defensive side and is suspect on pass defense as well. This is a bad matchup for the Rams.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Fordham has quickly struck with Higgins completing a pass to White at the LU 39.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Celebration penalty gave FU great field positionon return. FU moving to LU 38. But fourth down. Fu going for it at the 35

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Near-miss in the corner of the end zone, with nice coverage from Lehigh on third down. But Higgins picks up the first down on fourth and five with a completions at the 28.

Mr. C
A tipped pass leads to a Mike Groome interception for Lehigh.

ngineer
LU MLB Groome interecepts!

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Fordham had an ineligible receiver downfield penalty that was declined on the play. Two HUGE turnovers for the Lehigh defense to pick up to stop drives in, or near the red zone today.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
It seems, except for a couple of breakdowns in the secondary, that Lehigh's defense is much better than it was when I saw the Hawks a few weeks back against New Hampshire.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lum made a great throwaway towards Spadola after being nearly sacked again on third down. The Fordham coaches in the booth were screaming that the ball didn't make it to the line of scrimmage on that late throw.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Offsetting dead ball personal fouls against Fordham and Lehigh after the punt. This game has been a bit chippy all afternoon.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Lehigh has to punt after a few yeards. Divers punts. Penalty flags on the fi

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
MLB Sam Loughery of Lehigh looks to have a pretty bad shoulder injury after a run by Higgins in the middle of the field.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Lb Loughery hurt --described as an arm injry. Time out.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Intentional grounding on Fordham is going to give the Rams second and long.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM

He was holding his shoulder awkwardly after he came out of the pile and appeared to be in a lot of pain.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Another long pass that could have done damage for Fordham was dropped around the 30.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Lehigh is in business again at the Fordham 23.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Lehigh forces punt. LU with ball at its own 23. Bartket pounding the ball.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Deep post to Spadola for 62 yards and a TD.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Lehigh 34, Fordham 12 at the end of three and this one is pretty much over, kiddies.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
13 catches for 216 yards for Spadola, who is one catch away from the school record for receptions. Spadola is one of five Lehigh players with 14 catches in a game. He tied the record last year against Harvard

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM
60 yard TD pass to Spadola!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Injury doesnt look too bad but i think hes done for the day.

van
October 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
No kiddies here, they're all in Easton.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Another near miss on a deep ball for Fordham after the Rams got behind the Lehigh secondary again.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
No kiddies here, they're all in Easton.

That would be kitties in Easton, not kiddies.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Groome has his second interception of the day for the Mountain Hawks.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Injury doesnt look too bad but i think hes done for the day.

It looked bad on the field. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it looked initially. They are calling it a stinger here in the box.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Groome with another interception! Get Spadola his #15 and get him out

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Lum is up to 409 yards passing, a new career high, after a nice catch and run by Bryce Arruda. 552 total offense for Lehigh.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Another injury for Fordham (ILB Jake Rodriques) with Lehigh at the Ram 37 on first down with 12:43 remaining.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Groome with another interception! Get Spadola his #15 and get him out

Spadola is still in the game, though the Hawks are moving some other people into the game.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Lum just gave up his 11th interception of the year and his second of the game.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Fordham has its second unit in on offense with less than 12 minutes left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
A triple pump for Higgins results in an incomplete pass.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
It seems like this has been a very physical game and it is taking a toll on Fordham. Right guard Steven Tapia is helped off with an injury.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
The ball is back in Lehigh's hands after a punt to the LU 24. Michael Colvin is in at QB.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Another Fordham injury.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
And now a Lehigh injury. It appears to be an offensive lineman. Backup tackle A.J. Hood is limping off.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Fitz, who has had a nice day, nearly broke free for a long TD run before being tripped up.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Lum is back and completed another short pass to Hayden. Second down at the Fordham 48.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
With 6:44 left, Lehigh has another first down at the Fordham 41.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Colvin is back in at QB for Lehigh.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
More special teams issues for Lehigh with a bounced snap on fourth down from punt formation, but Fordham was only rushing one guy. 3:39 left for Fordham at the four.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
More special teams misadeventures for Lehigh as Soto botches a punt return, but recovers it himself.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Hood using crutches on the sideline. Hopefully its nothin mor.e than a sprain

Mr. C
Lehigh is running the ball to kill the clock with just over a minute left.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Colvin kneels down and Lehigh has to run one more play to end it.

Lum was 32-of-47 for 413 yards, 3 TDs, 2 interceptions as Lehigh wins 34-12.

On the road to Lafayette.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Another sloppy win. Hard to believe the margins of victory we've been having. Thing is Fordham was mistake prone as well. Five turnovers. Lum 32/47 with 3 TDs and 2 INTs for 413 yards. The bye week does not come at a more inopportune time. A lot of banged up players. Hood and Loughery left the game hurt. Barket was 18 carries for 111 yards. LU must have had close 600 yards of offense today.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Spadola had 13 catches for 216 yards, including a 62 yard strike for a TD. Already over 1100 yards on the season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hood using crutches on the sideline. Hopefully its nothin mor.e than a sprain

RichH2
October 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Heading home from a total domination of Rams. We could have run up a huge score today. Andy cleared the bench early . Lum was excellent as were all wrs Spadola on a different world than the rest. Barket, Fitz and Sherman ran very well. Ram D the most disorganized group I've seen since last year's game. Very bad. They did make an excellent play with INT on fade to Ryan in the endzone. Hood hurt leg in a lot of pain saw him later on crutches.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm going to start calling him Ryan "The Answer" Spadola. I don't know why, but it just feels right, especially when Lehigh answered with that huge TD strike to him is when the game became over.

It is kind of scary that Lehigh has been so dominating the past few weeks, yet they still could play even better, especially on special teams.

LehighU11
October 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
LU must have had close 600 yards of offense today.

Mountain Hawks finished with 598 yards. Lost 2 with the kneel downs to end the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Any updates on Hood?

RichH2
October 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Just got home , no info.

Mr. C
October 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm going to start calling him Ryan "The Answer" Spadola. I don't know why, but it just feels right, especially when Lehigh answered with that huge TD strike to him is when the game became over.

It is kind of scary that Lehigh has been so dominating the past few weeks, yet they still could play even better, especially on special teams.

Fordham definitely didn't have an answer for him today. Lehigh just kept running clear outs and Spadola was open for the pitch and catch all day long.

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Mountain Hawks finished with 598 yards. Lost 2 with the kneel downs to end the game.

Damn, I'm good! (;-)

ngineer
October 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
These Lum interceptions must stop for Lehigh to go deep into the playoff rounds

Some interceptions are not the fault of the QB. Others occur due to the circumstances at the time. Others are poorly thrown. Today's were a miscommunication with Spadola. Lum threw a fade and Spadola cut in. The other wouldn't have occured in a close game. Lehigh was already in control and looking for one last exclamation point and Lum forced a long pass that would probably not have been called or even attempted in a close game. QB's who throw 45 times a game are going to throw a couple picks a game. As long as the TD/INT ratio is more than 2:1 then it's acceptable. I"m not worried about the INTs at this stage. I'd be worried if the ints began effecting Lum. They don't. He comes right back on the next series and picks up where he left off.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Some interceptions are not the fault of the QB. Others occur due to the circumstances at the time. Others are poorly thrown. Today's were a miscommunication with Spadola. Lum threw a fade and Spadola cut in. The other wouldn't have occured in a close game. Lehigh was already in control and looking for one last exclamation point and Lum forced a long pass that would probably not have been called or even attempted in a close game. QB's who throw 45 times a game are going to throw a couple picks a game. As long as the TD/INT ratio is more than 2:1 then it's acceptable. I"m not worried about the INTs at this stage. I'd be worried if the ints began effecting Lum. They don't. He comes right back on the next series and picks up where he left off.

From my view in the box and in the opinion of the other Lehigh writers there, both interceptions were forced by Lum. They were both bad throws. Three things Lehigh must correct to make a deep playoff run are turnovers, busts in the secondary and abysmal special teams play. Even in a 34-12 win all three of those were there against a Fordham team that didn't have enough defense to stop the Hawks. On the plus side, Lehigh did show improvement on defense on Saturday and the two turnovers forced in and near the red zone were huge plays.

ngineer
October 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
From my view in the box and in the opinion of the other Lehigh writers there, both interceptions were forced by Lum. They were both bad throws. Three things Lehigh must correct to make a deep playoff run are turnovers, busts in the secondary and abysmal special teams play. Even in a 34-12 win all three of those were there against a Fordham team that didn't have enough defense to stop the Hawks. On the plus side, Lehigh did show improvement on defense on Saturday and the two turnovers forced in and near the red zone were huge plays.

This is the primary bogie man. I've been saying it since August. There has been some improvement since week 1, but each week there is a breakdown on one of the ST's. The off week should be dedicated to that.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM
This is the primary bogie man. I've been saying it since August. There has been some improvement since week 1, but each week there is a breakdown on one of the ST's. The off week should be dedicated to that.

Special teams has always seemed to be a weak point for Lehigh since Andy Coen has been the head coach, though I don't know why. It always amazes me how many schools in FCS struggle in the kicking game.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sounds like Masella is toast.

Mr. C
October 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM

I didn't get that sense when I was there yesterday. Fordham has talent, but is extremely young. I think Masella will get some time to build things. It also can't help when the Rams are not really playing for anything, like a league title.

Fordham
October 17th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I didn't get that sense when I was there yesterday. Fordham has talent, but is extremely young. I think Masella will get some time to build things. It also can't help when the Rams are not really playing for anything, like a league title.

I agree. I think he knows he has time to implement scholarships. It's a shame, imo and for example, that he had pieces in place like a returning playmaker in QB Blake Wayne but opted for true frosh Peter Maetzold. Not sure that throwing Maetzold in was he best thing for the team or Maetzold. Not sure where else that has happened but it's frustrating that we seem to be willing to sacrifice any chance at competetiveness today for experience for those frosh and sophs. Insert Herm Edwards quote here.

jimbo65
October 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Well he should be but with Fordham that is unlikely. With two schollie classes, we are definitely worse than we were without the scholarships. Go figure, then again it is Fordham where defeat is usually snatched from the jaws of victory.

CFBfan
October 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM

the kids a great qb but you have to stop defending his int's. ALL qb's have tipped ball int's and ALL qb's have "forced balls" picked. It very easy to argue he's force it even more if they were down in a playoff game. And, a mis-communication between him and his "go to" ....c'mom. "you are what your record says you are" and that takes NOTHING AWAY from Lum....jsut stop the absurd defensiveness, he's not perfect and you're way too touchy!!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I agree. I think he knows he has time to implement scholarships. It's a shame, imo and for example, that he had pieces in place like a returning playmaker in QB Blake Wayne but opted for true frosh Peter Maetzold. Not sure that throwing Maetzold in was he best thing for the team or Maetzold. Not sure where else that has happened but it's frustrating that we seem to be willing to sacrifice any chance at competetiveness today for experience for those frosh and sophs. Insert Herm Edwards quote here.

Personally, I'm surprised he didn't go with Higgins from the outset. The kid knew how to win (he won four of five starts to close the year in 2010) and I think it would have helped this extremely young team in that brutal September schedule to win a few more games right away. The push to start Maetzold immediately could be with an eye to the future, I don't know, but to me it's clear Higgins was the best choice to win today.