PDA

View Full Version : Dysfunction in Delaware

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
The News Journal - For UD Fans, Games Now A No-Fun Zone (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20111013/SPORTS07/110130348/For-UD-fans-games-now-no-fun-zone?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home)

NEWARK -- Matt Delaney never wanted himself and his trumpet to become central figures in the growing rift between the University of Delaware and some football fans.

When he was tooting his horn in Section J at Delaware Stadium -- or at NCAA title games in Chattanooga, Tenn., or Frisco, Texas -- it was about bringing attention to the Blue Hens.

"I did everything I could to try to get our section and the stands excited for the ballgame and to support our ballclub," he said.

But when Delaney, 31 and a 2003 Delaware graduate, did that Saturday night, it set off a chain of events that riled Blue Hens rooters and led to a commotion involving fans and UD police. The incident, some fans say, exemplifies how UD football games in recent years have become less appealing as administrators have made the experience more expensive and less fun........
(Part of a much larger article at the link provided)

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Another embarassment, thankfully the News Journal's subscribers have eroded faster than UD's season ticket base.

By the way, the UMass game this Saturday is already sold out, you think KT could've mentioned that somewhere? Nah, didn't fit the theme of the article.

TwoFeathers
October 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Yeah, the announcers during the Tribe game mentioned some kind of a scuffle in the stands.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
"Trumpet guy" was wronged by UD security and seems to be a part of a bigger crackdown. What's the big deal about someone playing the trumpet at a game? At Lehigh, there's a guy that sometimes comes and does the same thing, and he does it respectfully. It makes for a better gameday atmosphere - it's not like vuvuzelas or anything.

That said, it won't affect UD attendance much. Fans down there are so rabid about the Hens that they'll grit their teeth, and pay the higher ticket prices. The writer of the article almost certainly overstated the amount of discontent from the rank and file - they're upset, sure, but it won't affect attendance.

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
It's actually already affecting attendance, as he stated. It's down several thousand from recent seasons.

henfan
October 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM
The article didn't mention a sell out for Saturday because, as of this minute, the UD has not announced it as such. There are still tickets available for purchase online or at the box office. xconfusedx

As they have always done in the past, the NJ will likely report a sell out if/when the UD informs them of it.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
It's actually already affecting attendance, as he stated. It's down several thousand from recent seasons.

I stand corrected. Assuming Delaware sells out 22,000 seats its final two regular-season games (not an unreasonable assumption), the Hens would average 19,366 fans per game (though some home sellouts in the FCS playoffs will certainly boost the number upwards, perhaps above 20,000).

It's wicked hard, though, to pin attendance woes on any one thing, as I'm learning. For example, how much of the attendance issues come from the fact that two of the games came against D-II West Chester (never a popular game among Hen faithful) and Delaware State?

I'm not saying that the fan crackdown is in no way the problem - it could very well be a factor. But it's probably not the only factor.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 13th, 2011, 08:50 AM
a home playoff game will hurt their season attendance average

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I stand corrected. Assuming Delaware sells out 22,000 seats its final two regular-season games (not an unreasonable assumption), the Hens would average 19,366 fans per game (though some home sellouts in the FCS playoffs will certainly boost the number upwards, perhaps above 20,000).

It's wicked hard, though, to pin attendance woes on any one thing, as I'm learning. For example, how much of the attendance issues come from the fact that two of the games came against D-II West Chester (never a popular game among Hen faithful) and Delaware State?

I'm not saying that the fan crackdown is in no way the problem - it could very well be a factor. But it's probably not the only factor.

The highest attended game so far was West Chester. The second highest attended game was Delaware State. The two lowest attended games were Old Dominion and William & Mary, which suggests that since West Chester and Delaware State are close enough for easy driving for the away team fans, they made up the difference that ODU and W&M weren't able to. There's no way for Delaware to sell 22,000 tickets anymore, after the latest "upgrade" to the stadium this year, they lost seats and the stadium seats closer to 21k now. Home playoff attendance has always suffered, the highest being the playoff game against Delaware State that came in at over 19,000. Typically it is well below that.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
UD will not crack the 20K average attendance mark for the first time this century for regular season games snapping the longest active streak in FCS. No, it's not the "fan crackdown" as this article mentions. Moreso, it's the seat license program that was implemented this season that has knocked the season ticket base down to the 8,000 mark.

I could go into tons of more intricate reasons as to what's going on in Newark, but that's the biggest reason of all - mandatory donations ranging from $50 to $125 per seat (not including box seat donations) for the 2 big sides and covering more than 80% of the seating there.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
16187....MOS' TELLIN' POINT....IN DUH ARTICLE.... WHEN UH PECKERHEAD.....COMPARED CSC TREATMENT UH DELAWARE FANS.....TA DUH FORMER 700 LEVEL....VETERAN STADIUM...DRUNKARDS....DESE EMPLOYEES.....WALK AROUND WHIFF HEAD-SETS....DAT IMPLY UH RUSSIAN STATE.....DEY'RE SEVERAL DEEP...WHEN ENTERIN' DUH STADIUM...B/4....YA ACTUALLY.....MEET DUH TICKET-TAKER......MAH PAL WHO...WORKS UH GATE.... WAS EMPLOYED BAH UD...AN' NOW CSC....ISN'T ALLOWED TA PARK BEHIND DUH BOB.....AS HE ARRIVES SEVERAL HOURS B/4 KICK-OFF....&....NOW TAKES UH SHUTTLE...TO AN' FRO' DUH CHRYSLER LOT....WHERE HE LEAVES DUH VEHICLE.......AH TO...AM UH SECTION J FAN......WHO SAW DUH COMMOTION....FROM SEVERAL ROWS BELOW......MAH STADIUM BUDDY....BORN WHIFF ONE KIDNEY...AN' LOST IT TA CANCER.....DOES DIALYSIS @ HOME.....WAS TOLD HE COODN'T ENTER DUH STADIUM....CARRYIN' HIS OWN BOTTLED WATER.....HE NEEDS TA TAKE UH MEDICAL COCKTAIL O' PILLS THROUGH-OUT DUH DAY...TA MANAGE.....WHILE DOIN' TIME...ON WAITIN' LIST...WAS FINALLY ALLOWED....TA KEEP DUH WA-WA....HOPEFLLY WHEN DUH 3 YEAR CONTRACT....EXPIRES.....DUH UD TRUSTS.....REALIZE....IT WASN'T BROKE...AN' DIDN'T NEED FIXIN'......................xchinscratchx.......BR AWK!

GannonFan
October 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it is less fun at gamedays than it was even 3-4 years ago, and really, most of it has to do with costs. UD jacked up the price to tailgate a few years ago and a spot in the Gold Lot, for which there was a waiting list for (we were on it for almost 10 years and still couldn't get an additional spot), and now even at kickoff there are spaces galore in that lot (which is right next to the stadium). And then this is the first year of seat-license type fees on season tickets done through a mandatory donation to the UD Athletic Fund. Granted, most other schools already have this (at least the ones targetting going to FBS) but it didn't go over well and in some cases it was pretty extreme (another $10-$20 per ticket when all was said and done). That last bit has to be the single most clear reason why the attendance has dropped - people just don't want to pay $35-$40 per ticket to go see an FCS game. It's not like UD's in the boonies or anything either - there's plenty of other attractions they can go to for the same or less amount of money, and obviously thousands have.

With that said, not too many FCS places would be real downbeat about averaging just under 20k per game and with no crowd smaller than 17k, but it clearly is less than it was a few years ago when everything was so much cheaper.

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I think the biggest issue I have as a season ticket holder is, what is the incentive? I continued to purchase the season tickets and I'm not throwing a fit over it, but usually there is a reason it's better to have season tickets than to buy them every game, above and beyond just the fact you get to sit in the same seat every game. The people sitting next to me for the 4 home games so far have been different everytime, so there's no sense of community in our section, and they paid $9 for each of their tickets. I pay more than that per-ticket per-game just in donations to the UDAF, let alone the actual ticket price, and get the exact same seat. If I can get the same ticket for substantially less and there's no incentives for those who pay extra, why continue?

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
And the follow-up by local sportswriter Kevin Tresolini

Trumpetman Ouster Unsettles Rankled Hens Fans (http://blogs.delawareonline.com/collegesports/)

.......It’s my impression that UD scrambled some to cover for CSC overzealousness. On Monday, UD cited “strict adherence to the game management guidelines of both the NCAA and CAA, which prohibit artificial noisemakers inside of a venue, reiterated in the 2011 Delaware Stadium Fan Guide.”

But the NCAA doesn’t prohibit noisemakers in the regular season, and the CAA does not prohibit them, but discourages them. UD came back Wednesday and said it follows NCAA postseason rules, during which noisemakers are not allowed — Delaney was told to put the trumpet away during a playoff game last year, and did, he said.

One person I spoke to called this “a public relations nightmare” for Delaware, which has already seen an attendance dropoff leading to its smallest crowds in 13 years. The season-ticket surcharge, despite being common at other top FCS schools, has angered fans who feel UD could have communicated better and implemented it differently, perhaps to fewer areas of the stadium or with more recognition for long-time, older customers......

GannonFan
October 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think the biggest issue I have as a season ticket holder is, what is the incentive? I continued to purchase the season tickets and I'm not throwing a fit over it, but usually there is a reason it's better to have season tickets than to buy them every game, above and beyond just the fact you get to sit in the same seat every game. The people sitting next to me for the 4 home games so far have been different everytime, so there's no sense of community in our section, and they paid $9 for each of their tickets. I pay more than that per-ticket per-game just in donations to the UDAF, let alone the actual ticket price, and get the exact same seat. If I can get the same ticket for substantially less and there's no incentives for those who pay extra, why continue?

I agree - it was basically "pay a whole lot more for what you were already getting in the first place". It was a tough pill to swallow, and I too am a season ticket holder. It's really hard to justify the money for this, and my group in total holds 16 season tickets so that's a lot of money. I know some people have said that they wouldn't mind if a new stadium (ala JMU's) was in the offing, but that wouldn't do it for me - the current stadium and it's sightlines are great - a new stadium would just be a whole bunch of stuff (luxury boxes, press box, etc) that I wouldn't use anyway so again, it wouldn't benefit me. I'm not sure what I could get that would make it worth it, but again, it would be great for there to be a benefit of being a season ticket holder - right now it's hard to think of any.

ngineer
October 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
UD will not crack the 20K average attendance mark for the first time this century for regular season games snapping the longest active streak in FCS. No, it's not the "fan crackdown" as this article mentions. Moreso, it's the seat license program that was implemented this season that has knocked the season ticket base down to the 8,000 mark.

I could go into tons of more intricate reasons as to what's going on in Newark, but that's the biggest reason of all - mandatory donations ranging from $50 to $125 per seat (not including box seat donations) for the 2 big sides and covering more than 80% of the seating there.

Attendance may be down, but if revenue is up because of the licenses, then that is the fuel driving the train.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
See there are so many facets to this. Superman is square on with the "value" of season tickets. The value technically in the past has been you have a guaranteed seat location & can get VIP/reserved parking. Well as GF said somewhere the most formerly in-demand lots are now only 2/3 full at best. Tickets? Well people can get good seats through social media promotions or other outlets at maybe less than face value versus paying face plus the UDAF contribution. That needs to be fixed - it's a grievous problem that will only see the STH number drop further & conversely the UDAF $$ will drop too.

The other face to this is this segment from the KT blog:

"One person I spoke to called this “a public relations nightmare” for Delaware, which has already seen an attendance dropoff leading to its smallest crowds in 13 years. The season-ticket surcharge, despite being common at other top FCS schools, has angered fans who feel UD could have communicated better and implemented it differently, perhaps to fewer areas of the stadium or with more recognition for long-time, older customers."

Look I can respect my elders as well as anyone - but this last part is plain horses$#@t. To steal from the political boards on these message board sites there is "class warfare" sometimes at UD games. You want recognition for being a long-time season ticket holder or for being elderly and on a fixed income? Tough s$#t is my answer. Not to steal from OSU's Mike Gundy's infamous rant, but I'm 42 years old & have had season tickets longer than 95% plus of the UD fanbase - which is all 42 years I've been alive. I don't feel because I've been there that long I deserve any extra benefits that shouldn't be afforded to any other STH. Do I expect benefits over the guy who isn't a STH and is sitting in my row or a few rows away that just bought single game tix a few days prior, sure I do, but you have to be reasonable & there has been a lack of that in multiple places through this whole fiasco.

The only thing holding it all together is that at the end of the day we have one heckuva football team - GO HENS!!!

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Attendance may be down, but if revenue is up because of the licenses, then that is the fuel driving the train.

Revenue is up - correct.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM
As many Delaware fans have always stated........the Delaware CEOs are doing what is best for the bottom line. The school has always operated like Corporate America, squeezing every last drop of revenue from their customers.........however, seems like they are placing too much emphasis on short term profits over the long term health of their cash cow..........sounds all-too-familiar in today's world.xsmhx

xpeacex

dgtw
October 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Revenue is up - correct.

So if the revenue from the fee to buy season tickets more than offsets the loss in revenue from decreased ticket sales, the school probably doesn't give two hoots in Hades if you don't get to sit with your same buddies every week or if some guy had his horn taken away.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 01:13 PM
So if the revenue from the fee to buy season tickets more than offsets the loss in revenue from decreased ticket sales, the school probably doesn't give two hoots in Hades if you don't get to sit with your same buddies every week or if some guy had his horn taken away.

I'd disagree with that. Sure, the accountants look at more $$ coming in and may think it's a good thing but that's probably as far as it goes. KC Keeler has been voicing displeasure for weeks over the reduced crowds - it's a huge selling point for recruiting to play in front of large, to-capacity crowds week after week. Can't help recruiting as much when they see 5,000 empty seats and a 1/3 full student section.

As ambivalent as they seem sometimes both the President & AD are at every game - they see what's going on.

cougarpines
October 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Donations, not revenue is up. The value of the seat fee is not large enough to account for the increase in donations. The impact of the seat licence appears to be more than offset by decreased ticket sales, parking, concessions and merchandise.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Donations, not revenue is up. The value of the seat fee is not large enough to account for the increase in donations. The impact of the seat licence appears to be more than offset by decreased ticket sales, parking, concessions and merchandise.

I think they're still ahead.

8,000 STH, figure 7,000, being conservative with an avg seat fee of $75 (not including box seats) = $525K. Lose 1,000 STH from last year - figure $25 per ticket x 6 games, that's $150K.

You're $375K up right there. I'll agree parking is down. Concessions and merchandise are probably close enough to last year to call it a wash or not down anything significant - they're still up.

dgtw
October 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'd disagree with that. Sure, the accountants look at more $$ coming in and may think it's a good thing but that's probably as far as it goes. KC Keeler has been voicing displeasure for weeks over the reduced crowds - it's a huge selling point for recruiting to play in front of large, to-capacity crowds week after week. Can't help recruiting as much when they see 5,000 empty seats and a 1/3 full student section.

As ambivalent as they seem sometimes both the President & AD are at every game - they see what's going on.

I was actually thinking of the bean counters. I imagine the coach would rather have a packed house.

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM

8,000 STH, figure 7,000, being conservative with an avg seat fee of $75 (not including box seats) = $525K. Lose 1,000 STH from last year - figure $25 per ticket x 6 games, that's $150K.

You're $375K up right there. I'll agree parking is down. Concessions and merchandise are probably close enough to last year to call it a wash or not down anything significant - they're still up.

Delaware sold less than 8,000 season tickets, down from 11,302. So we'll say 7,500 to be on the safe side.
75 * 7,500 = 562,500
$25 per ticket x 6 games x 3,802 = 570,300
For a net loss of $7,800

If it is less than 7,604 season ticket holders, they lost money.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
You're correct that they were at 11,302, but that was like 3 years ago. Last year it was at about 9,000. I was just measuring the seat fee, which just went into effect this year. Anyway though you want to put it, 11,000 season ticket holders and crowds of 20K plus every week, sure beats 8,000 STH and crowds averaging 18-19K.

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Absolutely. Maybe the next time DFW Hoya is around he can pick up Muir and take him back to Georgetown.

cougarpines
October 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM

If you look at the avg. seat donation should be more like$63 (75+50/2) @ 8,000 tickets = $504K

Attendence is down 2,554 per game (20,064-18050) @ $25 per ticket @ 6 games = $383K

Parking 2554 per game @ $15 @ 6 = $230K

Concessions, Merchandise, programs etc $5 @ 2554 @6 = $77K

Net decrease = $185K

These are gross assumptions the biggest assumes the drop in atendence continues at the same rate. Either way you look at it, it certainly isn't a windfall

WM2001
October 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's a tough economic period. Not many people can afford to spend $150 (family of 4) x 5 to attend games.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
It's a tough economic period. Not many people can afford to spend $150 (family of 4) x 5 to attend games.

You can always buy tickets in the cheap seats. There was a special earlier in the season for a $40 4-pack in the north end zone.

HensRock
October 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Revenue is up - correct.

INCORRECT!

If you read the NJ article closely, it is very specific. DONATION revenue is up.
Well, NO SHT SHERLOCK! When you make donations mandatory for season ticket holders for the first time, you will see an increase in donation revenue.
That whole NJ article was cleverly crafted publicity by the UDAF Spin-Doctors. "See, Even though many of you have dropped your season tickets in protest, our <donation> revenue is up. So, next year youshould just buy season tickets because you are not hurting us...."

They don't mention they assuredly huge losses they've seen in ticket revenue and consessions.

Don't beleive me? Here's the opening paragraph of that News Journal article that was published a few weeks ago. Read it carefully.

NEWARK -- Season ticket sales for University of Delaware football are down, but contributions to the UD Athletic Fund are up as the Blue Hens enter tonight's home opener.

Beleive it. They are trying deparately to spin this to make it look like it's no big deal.
IT IS A VERY BIG DEAL!

superman7515
October 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Nice catch HR.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Again, I think we covered this pretty well on the last page and backed it up pretty well with the math. If you want to compare UD's finances versus 3yrs ago at the peak of our season ticket count, then yea UD has lost money over that time - no argument. If you want to compare versus last year, revenue is clearly up. Donation revenue may be a separate line item but it sits on the same side of the ledger at the end of the day.

HensRock
October 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
You're correct that they were at 11,302, but that was like 3 years ago. Last year it was at about 9,000. I was just measuring the seat fee, which just went into effect this year. Anyway though you want to put it, 11,000 season ticket holders and crowds of 20K plus every week, sure beats 8,000 STH and crowds averaging 18-19K.

The year before it was the parking fee. That took us from 11K+ down to 9K.
This time last year on gohens, I predicted we'd see attendances of <18K this year. Everyone laughed.
If the admin continues their current course, next year will be worse.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM
This time last year on gohens, I predicted we'd see attendances of <18K this year. Everyone laughed.

That is certainly a possibility, but at the same time if the team keeps performing well, hopefully people will suck it up and pay the extra and attendance will bounce back. There's really no reason why UD should have less fan support than Appy, Montana, GaSou, or ODU. The athletics marketing people do have a job to do to get new fans interested and into the stands, as well as to find a way to encourage more students to show up. Hopefully all of the negative press about the tailgate gestapo and aggressive campus security officers will result in a more relaxed approach from both.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM

15K......here we come.:(

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
16192...HERE'S...AN' IDEAR....SPORTS MED STUDENTS......MEDIA/JOURNALISTS WANNABE'S........AH DON'T KNOW.....MAYBEAH...DUH COURSE...DAT TEACH...IMPACT ON OPPOSITE FORCES...UPON EACH OTHERAH......SHOOD..BE MADE TA MANDATORY....ATTENDANCE....GAME DAY..WE STAMP 'EM....ON MONDAYS...DUH PROFS....SCAN 'EM....GIVE 'EM...UH POP QUIZ.....STUFF LIKE...HOW MANY TIME-OUTS...DID DELAWARE WASTE...FO' INDECISION?......EXPLAIN IN UH PARAGRAPH....HOW TRUMPET BOY.....GOT UH HORN..PAST......MAGNET LADY?..........ECONOMY STUDENTS....WHAT'S DUH BETTERAH DEAL......2 DELAWARE DAWGS/BIG GULP.....O'...PRETZEL..ALL DUH MUSTARD..YA CAN SQWEEZE...UH LEMON ICE...AN' SMALL POPCORN?.....FIGURE DUH WINDSHEAR...DAT CAUSED DUH 37 YARDERAH....TA DRIFT...TA RIGHT IN...NORFF ENDZONE......WE COOD CHALLENGE....DUH [email protected] ROCK...ANTLER LADS...IN MISERYOULA.....MAYBEAH OUT DRAW.....UH DETROIT....BBQ/CLASSIC/GREEK PARTAY.......xnodx...DOODLE-DOO!

GannonFan
October 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If you look at the avg. seat donation should be more like$63 (75+50/2) @ 8,000 tickets = $504K

Attendence is down 2,554 per game (20,064-18050) @ $25 per ticket @ 6 games = $383K

Parking 2554 per game @ $15 @ 6 = $230K

Concessions, Merchandise, programs etc $5 @ 2554 @6 = $77K

Net decrease = $185K

These are gross assumptions the biggest assumes the drop in atendence continues at the same rate. Either way you look at it, it certainly isn't a windfall

The bolded part is probably way too aggressive of an assumption - you're assuming every single person who is not going to games now, but went last year, all drove to the stadium and parked in UD lots and not a single one of them carpooled. That number almost needs to be cut in half, if not even more - I seldom see cars driving into the lots with only one person in the car (although, in your defense, that could be because all those people are no longer season ticket holders, but then again, that seems unlikely).

GannonFan
October 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM

Frankly, though, I don't see attendance dropping from here on out - assuming there's not going to be a new seat donation policy next year. If anything, season tickets could drop, but that would just be people dropping season tix (and the required donation that comes along with it) and just buying those fire-sale tickets that are a fraction of the cost.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2011, 10:57 PM
YEAH..WE GET IT.....ECONOMY.......TICKET RANSOM.......OL' FAN BASE.....MEDICARE.....SOCIAL SECURITY......CSC....PSYCHO-COPS......ENUFF EMPTY PARKIN'...TA HOUSE...DOVER AIR-BASE......YADDA,YADDA...AWK!

cougarpines
October 14th, 2011, 04:01 AM
The bolded part is probably way too aggressive of an assumption - you're assuming every single person who is not going to games now, but went last year, all drove to the stadium and parked in UD lots and not a single one of them carpooled. That number almost needs to be cut in half, if not even more - I seldom see cars driving into the lots with only one person in the car (although, in your defense, that could be because all those people are no longer season ticket holders, but then again, that seems unlikely).

Correct GF, but if you cut it in half or even by 66% it still is a minimal gain/loss

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM
You guys are assuming every STH donates the absolute minimum required which just isn't the case. The UDAF page says they did over $3.5M this year, Muir has said UD makes like $450k from each home game. If those numbers are right it doesn't take a high school education to see that they saw overall revenue jump. May day of game revenue have dropped? Sure, but they're taking the overall win to the bank.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
You guys are assuming every STH donates the absolute minimum required which just isn't the case. The UDAF page says they did over $3.5M this year, Muir has said UD makes like $450k from each home game. If those numbers are right it doesn't take a high school education to see that they saw overall revenue jump. May day of game revenue have dropped? Sure, but they're taking the overall win to the bank.

Have to factor in too any matching funds that may have come through the UDAF as well - figure there has to be some people who work for a business where you can match - maybe 15%-25% have matching funds in addition to their own UDAF contributions?

cougarpines
October 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I am only considering the mandatory donation. Everything above that was for reasons other than the mandate.

zymergy
October 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
If you want to hit them you have to do it through the UDAF which means STH's have to drop them and buy single game tickets. Do not donate a dime, and then you will see some changes. They really need to make it worth buying ST's some way some how.

UD77
October 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Lack of attendence IMHO.
1. Little thing called resession.
2. Admin - cranking up the parking fee a couple of years ago - did drive away some long term fans that had parked in the same space next to the same folks for years.
3. Admin - adding the manditory fees for STH.
4. The thing with the horn is just an additional lessening of the fun going to the game but indicative of the way the admin feels about the fans in general. "Let's do everything we can to make the event less enjoyable." Most likely stay up late thinking of new things they can do.

I actually upgraded and paid the higher fee - have great seats right on 50ty. Now I feel like a fool as I am surrounded by folks that paid $10 to be able to sit in the same area. I really didn't mind contributing to the UDAF BUT I don't like feeling like I am being abused. I haven't decide whether I will do the single game tickets next year or not. If you look at the cost from the view point of the person that buys single tickets it is now MUCH cheaper to go to the games as you can get better seats at a lower cost.