PDA

View Full Version : Division I-AA Bowl Teams

DFW HOYA
April 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
A follow-up to a question posted earlier: what would prevent a I-AA conference in the "new" D-I setup from accepting a bowl bid? If a conference like the Southern or Big Sky could get a lower tier bowl to invite them, is there anything that prevents such a bid?

April 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I think for a team to get a bowl bid they have to have 85 full scholarships and all the other I-A stuff.

HO HO
HEY HEY
THOSE PESKY A's HAVEN'T GONE AWAY

MR. CHICKEN
April 27th, 2006, 09:18 PM
A follow-up to a question posted earlier: what would prevent a I-AA conference in the "new" D-I setup from accepting a bowl bid? If a conference like the Southern or Big Sky could get a lower tier bowl to invite them, is there anything that prevents such a bid?

"IS THERE ANYTHING THAT PREVENTS SUCH A BID?

YEAH....I-AA PRIDE.........:rotateh:.......BRAWK!

Tod
April 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM

If you enter the I-AA playoffs, then once you're out, you're out. If you win it all, great. It would cheapen the playoffs to an unimaginable degree if any I-AA team chose or tried to play football after the I-AA playoffs.

April 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
If you enter the I-AA playoffs, then once you're out, you're out. If you win it all, great. It would cheapen the playoffs to an unimaginable degree if any I-AA team chose or tried to play football after the I-AA playoffs.Plus teams are currently allowed only one postseason event... Playoffs... Bowl... etc.

mikebigg
April 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Dayum yall danced all around this without answering the man's question...
Was it because yall don't want to answer the real question:

Will a D1AA turn down the playoffs to accept a $250K bowl bid? Be careful how you answer this...might make you reconsider the past criticism of the Bayou Classic.:twocents:

Tod
April 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Plus teams are currently allowed only one postseason event... Playoffs... Bowl... etc.

Well, yeah...that too. :D :D :D

April 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Dayum yall danced all around this without answering the man's question...
Was it because yall don't want to answer the real question:

Will a D1AA turn down the playoffs to accept a $250K bowl bid? Be careful how you answer this...might make you reconsider the past criticism of the Bayou Classic.:twocents:Danced around it? :confused: I don't think they CAN accept one for the reasons I said. The Bayou is a regular season game.

gram4life
April 28th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Danced around it? :confused: I don't think they CAN accept one for the reasons I said. The Bayou is a regular season game.

word games

Tod
April 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
word games

Hardly. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Griz are getting $650K to play Iowa this year, and will still make the playoffs. What's your point?

April 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM
word gameshow profound... care to provide an answer what would prevent it... I went first... your turn:read:

Some folks just pop onto AGS to pick fights and others come to communicate...

Mr. Tiger
April 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I think for a team to get a bowl bid they have to have 85 full scholarships and all the other I-A stuff.

HO HO
HEY HEY
THOSE PESKY A's HAVEN'T GONE AWAY

You are correct. The NCAA does not allow teams that fund under 85 scholarships to be eligible for bowl games. This question has come up before when the Liberty Bowl once entertained the notion of awarding an at-large bid to Alcorn State during Steve McNair's tenure. The NCAA quickly reminded bowl officials about the rule.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
There is no way that a I-AA school will accept "New Orleans Bowl" money to get out of the playoffs.

First, I-AA's wouldn't get invited to any of the BC$ bowls, since even the mid-major I-A's cant' qualify for those. That leaves the Silicon Valley and New Orleans bowls, with crappy guarantees - and besides, they barely tread water now as it is. We'd be competing with Louisiana-Lafayette, not LSU.

Second, I-AA schools either have moral problems with the postseason (Ivies), better deals (SWAC) or a love of the playoffs (basically, everyone else).

Third, in I-AA bowls are not needed to keep teams solvent because it's (surprise) cost-containment football. If you want to chase money, there are always I-A guarantee games in the event - and they make MORE money than the third-rate bowls that would be making the invite.

Conclusion? Won't happen.

grizbeer
April 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
In 1984 Montana played in the Mirage Bowl against Army in Japan - Montana got the invitation to play in the Mirage Bowl because (former Montana Senator) Mike Mansfield was ambassador to Japan, not becuase of their record that year (2-8-1), so if the rules haven't changed since 1984 I suppose it would still be possible for a I-AA team to play in a bowl game, although I doubt anyone would choose a minor bowl over the playoffs.

bobcatfan06
April 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
how profound... care to provide an answer what would prevent it... I went first... your turn:read:

Some folks just pop onto AGS to pick fights and others come to communicate...

Ever noticed how most of the ones that pic the fights have "Southern" or "Grambling" somewhere in their name??