View Full Version : If GSU and Wofford started the season tied in the rankings ...............

WOCO
October 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Who would be #1 in the nation. Wofford has won every conference game by at least 2 touchdowns. Our only loss is to FBS #8 Clemson in a game that we realisticly should have won. The only people on this board in the conference that post wofford isn't the best team are the GSU fans. I think the rest of the country may be voting on GSU's history instead of the results this year. Listen to the people in the conference who see the teams when you make your votes is all I'm saying. When app fans say we are the best (and they hate us) it may mean something. Oh and sagarin has wofford ranked #1 in fcs

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I would have you guys ahead of GSU but I am beginning to think that maybe UNI should be #1

The Eagle's Cliff
October 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Who would be #1 in the nation. Wofford has won every conference game by at least 2 touchdowns. Our only loss is to FBS #8 Clemson in a game that we realisticly should have won. The only people on this board in the conference that post wofford isn't the best team are the GSU fans. I think the rest of the country may be voting on GSU's history instead of the results this year. Listen to the people in the conference who see the teams when you make your votes is all I'm saying. When app fans say we are the best (and they hate us) it may mean something.

You guys seem to want everyone to overlook the close call with the mighty Blue Hose of Presbyterian while touting a near victory over Clemson. Lucky for FCS, there's playoffs and the Polls mean nothing. Double-Lucky for Wofford, the Terriers get to prove they're better than Ga Southern on Nov 12.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM
We entered the week ranked #1 in the coaches poll and the Sportsnetwork poll. Bottom line we won-- as long as we win we stay #1-- end of discussion.

Gil Dobie
October 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Playoffs ?????

WOCO
October 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I always believe the first game of the season means next to nothing. In the first game jmu can beat vt and app can beat mich. every team is off and anything can happen. anybody that actually played in college knows that. A teams grows the most between the 1st and 2nd game. You get to address all of the things that you didn't know that you didn't know. After that you get to figure out what you really have. and the polls do matter when it comes to seeds. the 5th or 6th team might have to fly across the country to play a lesser team that didn't earn a home game with their body of work, but with their ability to throw a lot of money at the game.

Laserlips
October 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hey,

Actually being ranked #1 isn't all peaches and cream...

At this point in the season all it means is that EVERY team that plays Georgia Southern University has the opportunity to "take down" Number 1 and consequently our Eagles get the best effort from those opposing teams every week.

We know the feeling, remember last season when Georgia Southern "took down" APP State in Boone?

I believe everyone knows Wofford is a great team. Are they better than the Georgia Southern Eagles?

We'll find out on November 12th.

All Eagle fans know we "dodged a bullet" escaping from the Chatt game with a win, but a win is a win is a win...

I'm betting Chatt is gonna put some hurt on other SOCON members before the season is over.. Glad they're in our rear view mirror.

Keep in mind this is only Coach Monken's 2nd season as head football coach in Statesboro and hopefully our Eagles will continue to fight hard each game.

That 2 point conversion that failed to pull out a win for Chatt yesterday failed because our defense MADE the play.... That's what winners do..xshakefistx

Come on Furman..

J.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM
We'd probably be 1a and 1b. Both teams have played down to the level of their competition at times.Also both of our schedules are built for arun this year.

UNIFanSince1983
October 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
We entered the week ranked #1 in the coaches poll and the Sportsnetwork poll. Bottom line we won-- as long as we win we stay #1-- end of discussion.

Tell that to Oklahoma fans. They entered a week ranked #1 won by a handy margin and dropped behind LSU. The next week they enter ranked #2 win again and still get dropped behind Alabama. So this is not true. It depends on who you beat and who the other team beat, and how you did against those teams.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
You are correct at the FBS level. But I would still argue that a #1 team that wins should stay #1. But that is what is so good about FCS ball-- we have the playoffs to settle it.

WOCO
October 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Is borrowed this from walliver on another post but......

"The best team GSU has played this year is Samford.
Tusculum is D2, Elon is down, Western is Western, Chatty is 0-3 in the SoCon.

Which of these games do you brag about?

I'm not claiming GSU isn't a great team. It's just that we have no real measure of how good. "

gsueagle2424
October 9th, 2011, 12:06 PM

I'm not claiming GSU isn't a great team. It's just that we have no real measure of how good. "

I agree with you some what WOCO. I believe GSU's #1 ranking is partly based on our current 11-1 streak dating back to last year with wins over, App, Wofford, William & Mary. We also proved that we can WIN in the playoffs and Wofford did not.

I'm not saying we are better or worse than you just telling you that voters saw what we did at the end of last year and thus far this year (only losing two starters from last year) and are giving us their vote. Keep winning and you won't have to worry about why we are ranked above you.

Up next: Purple Pansies

OhioHen
October 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
If GSU and Wofford started the season tied in the rankings ...............Who would be #1 in the nation.

They DID start the season tied in my rankings (along with every other FCS team). Based on season results (read wins, not "good" losses), Georgia Southern is ahead of Wofford in my poll (so are 7 other teams, BTW).

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I agree with you some what WOCO. I believe GSU's #1 ranking is partly based on our current 11-1 streak dating back to last year with wins over, App, Wofford, William & Mary. We also proved that we can WIN in the playoffs and Wofford did not.

I'm not saying we are better or worse than you just telling you that voters saw what we did at the end of last year and thus far this year (only losing two starters from last year) and are giving us their vote. Keep winning and you won't have to worry about why we are ranked above you.

Up next: Purple Pansies

Wofford proved we couldn't win? GSU did get the win, but come on, did u see the game? No disrespect to your squad, but don't disrespect mine.

introvertedGSUfan
October 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM
To echo many others, does it really matter that much? It's not as if Wofford isn't viewed as a better team by many FCS fans.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Wofford certainly has the schedule advantage this year with App and GSU at Wofford. We play both App and Wofford on the road this year. Wofford took care of the App part of it. I don't know how this will play out this year but I fully expect GSU and Wofford to be in the playoffs. So we both will have a chance to prove ourselves there.

Most GSU fans have alot of respect for what Ayers has done at Wofford. When GSU and Wofford play usually the game goes to the last 5 minutes of the game to be decided.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just to add to the argument, I could see you guys playing twice this year (hopefully the second time in January)....and if so, I predict a split. Hahaha.

CropDuster
October 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
At this point who cares? As long as you're in the top 5 or so what difference does it make? The fact that we won our last match up with you and are undefeated this year probably accounts for the slight edge. Y'all can whoop us on the 12th if y'all really are better.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Who would be #1 in the nation. Wofford has won every conference game by at least 2 touchdowns. Our only loss is to FBS #8 Clemson in a game that we realisticly should have won. The only people on this board in the conference that post wofford isn't the best team are the GSU fans. I think the rest of the country may be voting on GSU's history instead of the results this year. Listen to the people in the conference who see the teams when you make your votes is all I'm saying. When app fans say we are the best (and they hate us) it may mean something. Oh and sagarin has wofford ranked #1 in fcs

If Wofford had won the quarterfinal game last year I think you'd be ranked ahead of GSU right now. xtwocentsx

And Wofford and GSU don't have any common opponents yet, so hard to measure.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
If Wofford had won the quarterfinal game last year I think you'd be ranked ahead of GSU right now. xtwocentsx

And Wofford and GSU don't have any common opponents yet, so hard to measure.
Well we have Samford.......but anyway, I'm not quite concerned about rankings yet. If Wofford/GSU goes 10-1 they will be a top 2 seed IMO, I mean NDSU/UNI are going to beat each other and Montana State is as good as any team mentioned but the Big Sky is somewhat of a wildcard in pursuit of them this year. Let's remember, the #1 team in the polls at the last week of the regular season last year was the #5 seed....and they went on to win the championship. We just need to play our games and let the dominoes fall as they will. If Wofford plays their best ball for the rest of the season I think we'll show to be the #1 team or a top seed

blueballs
October 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Y'all can have the ranking if it makes you feel better... it means absolutely nothing.

I think GSU and Wofford will play at least once this year and it will be a classic just like both games last year.

Good luck.

Eagle22
October 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Kind of like 2008, when Wofford survived GSU in OT, winning in Stateboro when Hatcher elected to go for two. Wofford ended up 9-3 that year, if I remember correctly while GSU ended up at 6-5.

You can't measure these outcomes fully until the end of the season and everything is history.

For the record, I'd say Wofford is the top dog (no pun intended) in the conference right now ... despite the Eagle's being ranked at #1. The Eagles enjoy that benefit by virtue of their win LAST season in Spartanburg and by holding serve thus far through five games.

I also don't think Samford is a slouchy team. They played Wofford pretty close. It will be interesting to see how they match up with the rest of the league.

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Not that it means anything, but Sagarin now says

1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern

xtwocentsx

Eaglesrus
October 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Y'all can have the ranking if it makes you feel better... it means absolutely nothing.

I think GSU and Wofford will play at least once this year and it will be a classic just like both games last year.

Good luck.

I agree with this. If I had the power to give y'all the #1 ranking at this point in the season I'd gladly do it.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
They DID start the season tied in my rankings (along with every other FCS team). Based on season results (read wins, not "good" losses), Georgia Southern is ahead of Wofford in my poll (so are 7 other teams, BTW).

WOW 7!!!!!

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Wofford certainly has the schedule advantage this year with App and GSU at Wofford. We play both App and Wofford on the road this year. Wofford took care of the App part of it. I don't know how this will play out this year but I fully expect GSU and Wofford to be in the playoffs. So we both will have a chance to prove ourselves there.

Most GSU fans have alot of respect for what Ayers has done at Wofford. When GSU and Wofford play usually the game goes to the last 5 minutes of the game to be decided.

I also have respect for Monken. He watches us very closely. I like your added wrinkles this year with the shotgun.

OhioHen
October 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
WOW 7!!!!!

And this week's opponent won't help the perception of the Terriers.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I also have respect for Monken. He watches us very closely. I like your added wrinkles this year with the shotgun.

Don't flatter yourself. The "wrinkles" have always been in Paul Johnson's offense (which is who Ayers got it from) and our coaches actually went to Miss St. in the off season to exchange offensive knowledge. I'm kind of happy for the Little Doggies and your good start, but don't get too carried away before you close the deal.

The real difference between Ga Southern and Wofford in 2011 is that this is the best team Wofford can have and this is the worst Eagle team you'll see the next 5 years.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Not that it means anything, but Sagarin now says

1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern

xtwocentsx

He also has Eastern Washington at #14 and Samford at #17. I've read his formula, but I think once you get past the Top 50 all bets are off.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Don't flatter yourself. The "wrinkles" have always been in Paul Johnson's offense (which is who Ayers got it from) and our coaches actually went to Miss St. in the off season to exchange offensive knowledge. I'm kind of happy for the Little Doggies and your good start, but don't get too carried away before you close the deal.

The real difference between Ga Southern and Wofford in 2011 is that this is the best team Wofford can have and this is the worst Eagle team you'll see the next 5 years.

We're projected to return something like 13+ starters next year....don't hold your breath, people have been saying "it's Wofford's best team but they'll fall off the face off the earth next year" or something of the like since 2007 and we've come back just as strong or stronger (except 2009 when we were obliterated by injuries).

I'd also venture to say that Ayers has evolved past simple wrinkles as approximately half of our offense comes from the shotgun and has been that way since 2006. Wofford's playbook and GSU's playbook is like comparing crocodiles and alligators or Frogs and toads.

Eaglesrus
October 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
We're projected to return something like 13+ starters next year....don't hold your breath, people have been saying "it's Wofford's best team but they'll fall off the face off the earth next year" or something of the like since 2007 and we've come back just as strong or stronger (except 2009 when we were obliterated by injuries).

I'd also venture to say that Ayers has evolved past simple wrinkles as approximately half of our offense comes from the shotgun and has been that way since 2006. Wofford's playbook and GSU's playbook is like comparing crocodiles and alligators or Frogs and toads.

I might agree with you, but first you have to tell me which of us are crocodiles and frogs.

TwoFeathers
October 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wofford played FBS Clemson close, and beat #3 ranked App State. GSU barely beat #23/24 ranked Chattanooga at home. I'd say Wofford has the better resume.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I might agree with you, but first you have to tell me which of us are crocodiles and frogs.

umm how is that relevant? Wofford-Crocodiles GSU-toads ;P

Gaterrier
October 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Sorry, Wofford's offense comes from Jim Breakfield and Fisher DeBerry. There is no Paul Johnson influence, sorry to burst your bubble. There is the triple option/wishbone influence and other parts wing-t. We would actually be closer to an old Delaware/Oklahoma team than GA Southern.

The gun bone/ pistol runs almost the same exact plays...just different people and formations in use.

HensRock
October 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I would have you guys ahead of GSU but I am beginning to think that maybe UNI should be #1

I have UNI #1 and WOCO #2 in my poll.
I'm obviously in the minority though.

I have Chattanooga ranked and that doesn't seem to be very popular either.
I think many people don't look much beyond W-L record.
You have to look at who they lost to and by how much, who they beat and by how much.
You also need to look at where the game was played and what the outcome might have been at a different venue.

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Funny guy. I'll take the bait. We won at Paulson last year with "not our best team" and gift wrapped several turnovers in playoff action and loss on a questionable call. So, Don't FOOL yourself!

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:32 PM
No need to go to Miss. St. if you wanna know how to run it. Just look at last years game film.

CropDuster
October 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Funny guy. I'll take the bait. We won at Paulson last year with "not our best team" and gift wrapped several turnovers in playoff action and loss on a questionable call. So, Don't FOOL yourself!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/TigerII/girlsassylarge.gif

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/TigerII/girlsassylarge.gif

I guess I deserved that one huh? LOL

GSU Eagle
October 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
What difference does it make right now who is #1 and who is #2 in the SoCon. The season will sort it all out. Until Wofford and GSU meet we won't know who is better will we.

But the point made by an earlier poster that GSU made it to the semis last year and on the way beat Wofford on their home field certainly started this year with GSU ranked above Wofford and rightly so. But none of that really matters this year-- Wofford still has to play Furman and Chattanooga-- both potential obstacles. GSU still has App. and Furman-- also potential obstacles.

I would love it if we can get to Wofford undefeated but we have a ways to go to get there.

So all the "We are #1" talk will sort itself out. Wofford has a good team this year no doubt. GSU does too. We will see how it plays out.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Wofford is just Wofford until they prove otherwise. Maybe this the their year, then again maybe they'll continue to be the "other good team in the SoCon". I just wish Ga Southern was good enough for me to know we're going to blow everyone away the way the Little Doggies do. I pray when Nov. 12 comes, we can keep it close and maybe get some of those gift-wrapped turnovers.

Meanwhile, we have an appointment with a true SoCon Giant in Furman. The Furples have been through some lean years of late, but their "Little Sister of the poor" in Spartanburg doesn't even come close to measuring up to the Paladins in terms of rivalry with Ga Southern and App and storied tradition.

The week after, we have our biggest test of the year when the mighty Blue Hose of Presbyterian come to town. If we follow the "logic":
xrulesx
App beat Chatty by 2
GSU beat Chatty by 1
Wofford beat App by 14
Wofford beat Presby by 7.
xchinscratchx
Therefore App is 1 better than GSU
Wofford is at least 13 better than GSU
Presby should be favored by 6 over GSU.

Maybe we can get betterxpeacex

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Wofford is just Wofford until they prove otherwise. Maybe this the their year, then again maybe they'll continue to be the "other good team in the SoCon". I just wish Ga Southern was good enough for me to know we're going to blow everyone away the way the Little Doggies do. I pray when Nov. 12 comes, we can keep it close and maybe get some of those gift-wrapped turnovers.

Meanwhile, we have an appointment with a true SoCon Giant in Furman. The Furples have been through some lean years of late, but their "Little Sister of the poor" in Spartanburg doesn't even come close to measuring up to the Paladins in terms of rivalry with Ga Southern and App and storied tradition.

The week after, we have our biggest test of the year when the mighty Blue Hose of Presbyterian come to town. If we follow the "logic":
xrulesx
App beat Chatty by 2
GSU beat Chatty by 1
Wofford beat App by 14
xchinscratchx

Dude you are special. I'll take "Wofford being Wofford" anytime. Good luck with the rest of the season. Done taking the bait.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM

xrulesx
App beat Chatty by 2
GSU beat Chatty by 1
Wofford beat App by 14
xchinscratchx

transitive property doesn't work in football :p

Eaglesrus
October 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
umm how is that relevant? Wofford-Crocodiles GSU-toads ;P

Exactly! I'm not sure how it is relevant, you made the statement, but I did want to try to understand it.xrotatehx

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Exactly! I'm not sure how it is relevant, you made the statement, but I did want to try to understand it.
oh okay then, Crocodiles and alligators/ Frogs and Toads are animals that have similar physical attributes but also have physical attributes that you can tell them apart as well. It's interchangeable. Our offenses are similar but if you study them there are some distinct differences. GSU is the Crocodile and Wofford is the alligator or vice versa; GSU is the toad and Wofford is the frog and vice versa

seantaylor
October 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I would say GSU is the crocodile and Wofford is the cayman. Until Woffie does any damage whatsoever in the playoffs, they are just an afterthought.

Eaglesrus
October 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
oh okay then, Crocodiles and alligators/ Frogs and Toads are animals that have similar physical attributes but also have physical attributes that you can tell them apart as well. It's interchangeable. Our offenses are similar but if you study them there are some distinct differences. GSU is the Crocodile and Wofford is the alligator or vice versa; GSU is the toad and Wofford is the frog and vice versa

Okay, I'll take alligator/frog for us. That being the case, I can now fully agree with your original statement on the matter.

Wofford Oaks
October 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Who's flattering whom? Ayers began studying TO principles under Buddy Sasser at Wofford before GSU even had a football program. Sasser, in turn, was a disciple of Jim Brakefield and Fisher DeBerry, who installed the wishbone at Wofford in 1969 when Paul Johnson was still a pimple-faced school boy.

Skjellyfetti
October 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Dang. That list of coaches reminds me how much coaching history Wofford and Appalachian share.

CropDuster
October 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
go ahead and sleaze by with a couple more 2 point victories and see how long you last as the #1 ranked theam

As Erk Russell said, 28 is more than 27 and we'll take it every time.

82eagle
October 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
and again, you won't be at #1 for too long if you continue with the 1-2 point wins...

If we continue 1-2 points wins for too long, we'll be national champions...I'll take that.

blueballs
October 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
and again, you won't be at #1 for too long if you continue with the 1-2 point wins...

I'll take 10 more 1-2 point wins and the NCAA FCS Championship trophy. Y'all can have the rankings.

cannonballgsu
October 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM
go ahead and sleaze by with a couple more 2 point victories and see how long you last as the #1 ranked theam

You should really get help with that speech impediment.

Now that is just funny. I bet you didn't really think about that before you posted did you?

GSU_Alum08
October 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Now that is just funny. I bet you didn't really think about that before you posted did you?

hahahaha. He is probably looking at that now and going... "oh... wait.... crap".

but with that said, I'm gonna go along with a few other posters and say....

WHO THE F CARES!?!?!?!?! I could care less if we are ranked 20 at the end of the regular season and the last team picked into the playoffs. Because once that happens, it is a whole new season. Did the number 1 seeded team last year win the national championship? Just win each game, that's all you gotta worry about, the rest will work itself out.

CropDuster
October 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM
TheFan = owned

GSU_Alum08
October 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM
don't forget to come back to apologize when Georgia Southern loses in the playoffs

because they failed to obtain home field advantage

because they dropped several spots on the rankings

because they had one too man close wins...

oops!

tell me this.... if GSU wins every game this season, but only wins by a margin of 1 to 2 points, how is that a bad thing?

GSU_Alum08
October 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
ah, but who says that GSU is going to win every game this season?

They will lose in the playoffs due to losing their home field advantage...

oops!

you obviously don't get it. But you basically said, if we keep winning, we won't be ranked number 1 anymore.... do you not see how stupid that sounds?

CropDuster
October 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
you obviously don't get it. But you basically said, if we keep winning, we won't be ranked number 1 anymore.... do you not see how stupid that sounds?

He's still digging.

The 85, 89, and 2000 championships were 2, 3, and 2 point victores, and guess what, they count just as much as the 20+ beat downs from 86, 90, and 99.

woffordgrad94
October 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
This thread is getting out of hand with its silly analogies and dumb-a s s bickering, and it probably belongs in Smack. But I digress. I was never any good at history in school, beacuse I always thought to myself "what's the point...I'm more concerned with what is happening now and with making my future better!" That being said, regardless of what Wofford or GSU have done in days gone by, THIS YEAR (all I care about now) both teams are really good and it should be one HELL of a game. I can't wait for October 12! xtwocentsxxnodx

And BTW, RANKINGS mean ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't give a rat's betootie if Wofford is ranked 1st or 100th...in FCS football, we settle things ON THE FIELD, not on paper or on a computer! xthumbsupx

GATA
October 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry, but GSU will never even get close to the championship game

they will lose way beforehand

due to failure to obtain homefield advantage

due to failure to win by more than a few points...

but, again, you know this already...

oops!

Considering the rest of FCS football sucks dick...I think we'll take our chances. Most FCS teams don't have a real homefield advantage anyway. Outside of about 10-15 teams, everybody is bringing like a whopping 26 fans to the game.

Ask Wofford if you still have "homefield" advantage in the playoffs when the other team has more fans than you in your "home" stadium.

Squealofthepig
October 12th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Considering the rest of FCS football sucks dick...I think we'll take our chances. Most FCS teams don't have a real homefield advantage anyway. Outside of about 10-15 teams, everybody is bringing like a whopping 26 fans to the game.

Ask Wofford if you still have "homefield" advantage in the playoffs when the other team has more fans than you in your "home" stadium.

Quick fact check! Average home attendance in 2011 (source: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html )

GSU: 20,491
Wofford: 8,829

GSU at Samford: 8,714 (average 7,461)
GSU at Elon: 7,195 (average 8,930)

Wofford at The Citadel: 12,316 (average 12,610)

I have no dog (or bird) in this fight, but the travel factor so far seems a bit inconclusive; however, the homefield advantage in general definitely shows GSU with a huge 2:1 edge.

woffordgrad94
October 12th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Yakety yack, yackety yack. The botom line is that this game will be decided by PLAYERS on a 100-yard field no matter if there is 1 person or 100,000 people in the stands.

And anyone who even tries to compare Wofford (a school of 1,400) attendance figures to those of GSU (who I think might have 10,000 students) is totally moronic anyway- it is comparing APPLES TO ORANGES! xbangx

If I was a mod, I'd lock this damned thread! It is ABSURD! xthumbsdownx

eaglewraith
October 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Yakety yack, yackety yack. The botom line is that this game will be decided by PLAYERS on a 100-yard field no matter if there is 1 person or 100,000 people in the stands.

And anyone who even tries to compare Wofford (a school of 1,400) attendance figures to those of GSU (who I think might have 10,000 students) is totally moronic anyway- it is comparing APPLES TO ORANGES! xbangx

20,000+ students actually

eaglewraith
October 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM
homefield advantage is not totally due to the number of fans that the home team has watching the game at the stadium. Many times it is due to the familiarity with the field and stadium and not having to travel incoveniently long distances that gives the home team the advantage...

Look at this ****ing guy

SC-T-Dogg
October 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM

No Doubt..........

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Just saying...the home team has lost the last 6 games in the GSU-Wofford series.

xrulesx

pike51
October 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
My question is... who cares? If both teams win all but 1 game, they will make the playoffs. Playoffs are what matters... and in the playoffs you just win... by 1 point or 21 points. It doesn't matter. Just make the playoffs and then win. At the end of that #1 will rise to the top.

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but GSU will never even get close to the championship game

they will lose way beforehand

due to failure to obtain homefield advantage

due to failure to win by more than a few points...

but, again, you know this already...

oops!

There you go again. You should read your posts before hitting submit.

Quick question... If we beat you by two points, do we still win?

GSU_Alum08
October 12th, 2011, 11:00 AM
There you go again. You should read your posts before hitting submit.

Quick question... If we beat you by two points, do we still win?

no. because it obviously states in the rules that to win, you must outscore your opponent by more than 9 points......

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
please come back during the playoffs and tell us how you feel once GSU has been eliminated due to a 2 point loss...never making the Championship game

oops!

Ladies and Gentlemen!!! I think thecan has it figured out!!!

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
gee, there appears to be some kind of trend here:

GSU margin of victory:

41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

what will happen against Furman Oct. 15th?

Way to cherry pick your data.

We beat Samford by 14 opening day.

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
cannon, let me help you a little with this.

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

Ignorance?

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
The fan is just a troll, I bet he doesn't cheer for any team in the FCS, he just comes on here to argue with people. If he was a fan of a team in the FCS, I'm pretty sure Wofford/GSU could beat that team

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
The fan is just a troll, I bet he doesn't cheer for any team in the FCS, he just comes on here to argue with people. If he was a fan of a team in the FCS, I'm pretty sure Wofford/GSU could beat that team

I think we found chattownmocs's brother!

proasu89
October 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
We know the feeling, remember last season when Georgia Southern "took down" APP State in Boone?

You mean to tell me I drove 6 hours to Statesboro and could have stayed at home to watch us lose.

Skjellyfetti
October 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Well, he has a Princeton avatar...

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Well, he has a Princeton avatar...

ah so definitely not

blueballs
October 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
cannonball, I will ask you for the third time:

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

The trend I see is GSU won 'em all.

woffordgrad94
October 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM
THE FAN:

WHY THE HELL DO YOU CARE ABOUT THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!! xconfusedx

The Eagle's Cliff
October 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM
THE FAN:

WHY THE HELL DO YOU CARE ABOUT THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!! xconfusedx

TheFan should be much more concerned with why his irrelevant Ivy School just lost to a freakin' 2-2 MEAC school!

Maybe GSU loses Saturday, maybe not. Everyone's season is played one game at a time. Polls matter, but the committee looks at the full season, which isn't half over. In 2000, GSU got demolished 45-10 @ Furman the first week of November which only meant we had to go to Newark to beat Delaware before defeating Montana for the NC instead of Delaware coming to Statesboro.

Georgia Southern is still rebuilding. Being ranked #1 with playoff hopes in tact is just gravy.

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
and that could very be the type of result we see this coming week

good luck though
Lehigh? get real.

cannonballgsu
October 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

I stand by my statement.

GSU Eagle
October 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
1 game at a time. The Wofford-GSU game will come, but there are some big games first. Furman-GSU and App-GSU are coming first. I am not sure if these are before the GSU game but I know Wofford still has Furman and Chattanooga. So we can all stop the "Wofford should be ranked ahead of GSU" stuff for now.

Terrierforlife
October 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM

He's right about homefield. I hate to burst some bubbles but the Fans play a small part of homefield in the FCS. No travel is #1!!!!

woffordgrad94
October 13th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Lehigh beat our butts back in 2000. But I like to think we have become a much better program since those days. I wish we got a chance to find out. The Mountain Hawks would be a good non-conference matchup for us in lieu of Virginia-Wise.

GSUsTALON
October 13th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Well we have Samford.......but anyway, I'm not quite concerned about rankings yet. If Wofford/GSU goes 10-1 they will be a top 2 seed IMO, I mean NDSU/UNI are going to beat each other and Montana State is as good as any team mentioned but the Big Sky is somewhat of a wildcard in pursuit of them this year. Let's remember, the #1 team in the polls at the last week of the regular season last year was the #5 seed....and they went on to win the championship. We just need to play our games and let the dominoes fall as they will. If Wofford plays their best ball for the rest of the season I think we'll show to be the #1 team or a top seed

I think there is a chance for Wofford to be #1 or #2 this season if they win out, but for now the pollsters have GSU as #1. GaSo in now entering the meat of their SoCon schedule with Alabama finishing the season. I personally am not worried about GSU retaining the #1 slot as long as we stay in the top 8 and get a buy week in the first round of the playoffs to rest, recuperate & get home field advantage for most of the playoff games. Now I like the fact that GSU is ranked #1 due to their undefeated season thus far: It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling like a 6pac of beer but a case for the #1 spot could be made by any of the top 4 teams in FCS. And remember Terrier fans the #1 seed at the end of the regular season does not equate to the number #1 slot and a National Championship at the end of the season. So chill out, all good things come in time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

The only "trend" there is that games 2-5 are ordered from weakest opponent to strongest opponent among the 4.

TwoFeathers
October 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I think there is a chance for Wofford to be #1 or #2 this season if they win out, but for now the pollsters have GSU as #1. GaSo in now entering the meat of their SoCon schedule with Alabama finishing the season. I personally am not worried about GSU retaining the #1 slot as long as we stay in the top 8 and get a buy week in the first round of the playoffs to rest, recuperate & get home field advantage for most of the playoff games. Now I like the fact that GSU is ranked #1 due to their undefeated season thus far: It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling like a 6pac of beer but a case for the #1 spot could be made by any of the top 4 teams in FCS. And remember Terrier fans the #1 seed at the end of the regular season does not equate to the number #1 slot and a National Championship at the end of the season. So chill out, all good things come in time.

This is true, W&M finished last season ranked #6, but got the #2 seed in the playoffs.

woffordgrad94
October 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM

excellent post xthumbsupx

soulraptor
October 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

30 - Oct. 15th xchinscratchx
There goes that trend idea you were working on.

Apphole
October 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
30 - Oct. 15th xchinscratchx
There goes that trend idea you were working on.

Oct. 29: -10

bleedingblue
October 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
GSU 50 FURPLE 20 Guess that is a little more than 1 point! and again FU
gee, there appears to be some kind of trend here:

GSU margin of victory:

41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

what will happen against Furman Oct. 15th?

The Eagle's Cliff
October 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Oct. 29: -10

Not sure I can argue that, but the 2011 App's have problems. Should be fun!

GSU_Alum08
October 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Not sure I can argue that, but the 2011 App's have problems. Should be fun!

their problems include defending the TO..... should indeed be fun.

AppRolls
October 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
For sure App has problems.....but we will BE a problem to deal with the rest of the way. We're not done just yet......

GSU_Alum08
October 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not counting you guys out at all.... esp when we come to town. it's always a tough *** game.

soulraptor
October 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I am looking forward to that game. Kid Brewer is going to be rocking, and it is sure to be a real slobber knocker.

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM

what is the trend here?

GSU margin of victory:
41 - Sept 10th
32 - Sept 24th
27 - Oct. 1st
1 - Oct. 8th

30 - Oct 15

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TvGscPZX6ws/THfVkTeV1HI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/BjQIZA5aEKY/s1600/hangover.jpg

CropDuster
October 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I hope TheFan likes crow.