PDA

View Full Version : The Socon is one of the strongest Conferences but.....

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I doubt we'll get more than 3 teams in the playoffs this year.

GSU and Wofford are somewhat a lock IMO (but you can't look past anyone), but scheduling is going to hurt the rest of the conference. Chatty, The Citadel, and App did it right, the rest of the conference not so much. Western won't make the playoffs, let's put that to rest as well. Samford, Elon, GSU, and Wofford all scheduled sub D1 teams this year; what does that mean? they need to win 8 games this year as opposed to 7 for the sake of D1 victories.

As I said, I don't think that GSU or Wofford will have trouble with it. Samford can't lose any more FCS games or else they are eliminated as they play Auburn later this year, Elon is 4-2 but they haven't played ANYBODY; they have to win 4 more games and have yet to play App, Wofford, Furman, Samford, or Chattanooga. I don't see them winning 4 of those 5 games.

Chattanooga and Furman scheduled well, but I don't think they'll be able to pull off 7 D1 wins, as Furman has Wofford, GSU, App, Florida, and Chattanooga left and Chattanooga still has Furman, Samford, Wofford, and Elon. Furman can drop 2 of their remaining games, but if they lose to Wofford and GSU in the next 2 weeks their season is as good as over. Chattanooga can't drop any games and I don't know if they'll be able to pull that off.

App and the Citadel are the only teams with anything resembling a shot IMO....well at least App does. the citadel is a good team and showing improvement over years prior but they still have a ways to go. They have to win out against FCS competition as they will play South Carolina at the end of the year. App only needs 4 more wins to make it, and although they looked anemic on offense I think the potential is there for another playoff berth. They can beat Samford, The Citadel, Elon, and Western; if they do that and beat/finish ahead of Furman they'll make the playoffs.

In short, scheduling has screwed the Socon over, and it was a self inflicted wound. I think GSU and Wofford can play with anyone in the country and App will make noise, but the rest of the conference scheduled too vanilla; I think if Samford didn't play a sub d1 team, they'd have a very very good chance at making the playoffs this year. If chattanooga played in another conference they most certainly would make the playoffs, that Citadel loss really killed them though.

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I think the SoCon is just average at best, just like all other conferences. It is a year when anybody in the playoffs has a chance at winning the title, very similar to what GSU just about pulled off last year and what EWU did pull off. I think anybody can lose at any time. How many freak games have we seen so far this year?

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
You keep saying Elon hasn't played anybody, but yet, say El Cid is a good team..... In this thread and in others. You do remember that Elon beat them, correct?

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
You keep saying Elon hasn't played anybody, but yet, say El Cid is a good team..... In this thread and in others. You do remember that Elon beat them, correct?

I think he is referencing the fact that Elon played North Carolina Central and Concord during non-conference. Elon has also played the bottom two teams in the Southern Conference in Citadel and Western Carolina. Citadel has shown flashes of being a good team and with Citadel's win over Chattanooga, that was much more impressive (than any victory Elon has had) considering the week before they lost to Elon in Overtime, when their offense was absolutely awful.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
considering the week before they lost to Elon in Overtime, when their offense was absolutely awful.

Well, let's not attribute that to the Elon defense at all. Despite playing an SEC team, GSU and El Cid, the Elon defense is still ranked #2 in the SoCon. Let's not forget the terrible positions our offense gives to the defense, and the D still generally comes through.

In your thought, you give Elon crap for playing the "bottom two" teams in the conference, then give El Cid props for beating one of the current winless conference teams. Your statement isn't totally correct either seeing that El Cid isn't in the cellar.....Chatty and WCU currently sit there.

I'm in no way saying that Elon overall is a good team. The defense is good, the offense is horrid and special teams suck. But they do sit at 4-2 which is where I thought they would be at this point.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM
YT is right. See, unlike some leagues in the FCS, we have a round-robin conference schedule, which gives more teams more chances to finish with 7 DI wins. Add to that that we don't get nearly as many games with FBS teams like Duke, Navy, Toledo, and Maryland. No, we have games with the likes of Clemson, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Nebraska, and Auburn. But I do think the SoCon is probably the best league in the FCS IMO.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 10:14 AM
YT is right. See, unlike some leagues in the FCS, we have a round-robin conference schedule, which gives more teams more chances to finish with 7 DI wins. Add to that that we don't get nearly as many games with FBS teams like Duke, Navy, Toledo, and Maryland. No, we have games with the likes of Clemson, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Nebraska, and Auburn. But I do think the SoCon is probably the best league in the FCS IMO.

The conference overall is much better than in previous years. Any conference win on the road this year is a good win IMO.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Elon Pride,
I do not know where I gave Elon crap for playing the two teams at the bottom considering it is a conference game, but can you honestly say that Chattanooga is one of the worst teams in the conference? Maybe you have forgotten that Chattanooga has victories over Jacksonville State (4-1 only loss to Chatt) and Eastern Kentucky (2-3 losses to Kansas State, Austin Peay, and Chatt) and also has lost the last 3 games by 4 points.

And about your defense.....Yes, Elon has the number two defense in the SoCon, but lets compare that to the number one team in Chattanooga and the number three team in Wofford.

Chatt has played Nebraska (Top 10 in FBS), Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, Appalachian State, Citadel, and Georgia Southern.

Elon has played Vanderbilt, DII Concord, North Carolina Central, Citadel, and Western Carolina

Wofford has played Clemson (Top 10 in FBS), App. St., Presbyterian, Samford, and Citadel.

We will learn a lot about this Elon team in the next couple of weeks and they are where they are supposed to be, but learn to give credit when credit is due. Citadel won a game, that no one thought they would and looked good in the process of fighting and coming back. Elon has not looked good in ANY game since Vanderbilt and many of your own fans agree.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Go back and read my post antidrug

EDIT: And you left off your list that Elon has played the #1 team in the country, GSU.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Please explain

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think the SoCon is just average at best, just like all other conferences. It is a year when anybody in the playoffs has a chance at winning the title, very similar to what GSU just about pulled off last year and what EWU did pull off. I think anybody can lose at any time. How many freak games have we seen so far this year?

Our top 3 are better than average my friend. You do have a point with the bottom end though.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Citadel is a good team in that they have a good defense and they are much improved in comparison to years past. Pardon me for calling out Elon for having nail-biters against the likes of NCCU, the Citadel, and Western. As I said, the Citadel could make the playoffs, but I doubt they will, seeing as they have Chatty, App, and GSU still on the schedule. Elon will not make the playoffs. You're relevance left with Lembo, Hudgins, and Riddle. Crucify me for smack but it's the gospel truth. I mean really, they had a back and forth affair with Western Carolina? WESTERN CAROLINA?! I give The Citadel respect because they are improving whereas Elon is not

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Our top 3 are better than average my friend. You do have a point with the bottom end though.

Clempson might think so, Presby might not. If #7 goes down the year is over.

As bad as ASU looked against WC look at the missed FGs and just bone head mistakes. Take away the garbage points WC scored at the end of the game. Then ASU wins, just saying. The better team won as I have said before, but just think that ASU was that close to winning as bad as they looked. Now WC #1 in Socon. It is an average conference.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM

As bad as ASU looked against WC look at the missed FGs and just bone head mistakes. Take away the garbage points WC scored at the end of the game. Then ASU wins, just saying. The better team won as I have said before, but just think that ASU was that close to winning as bad as they looked. Now WC #1 in Socon. It is an average conference.

Wow...what a joke. EB goes down, and we're fine....are we as good? no, but whenever you lose a player of that caliber you aren't as good. Donovan Johnson would take over the fullback position, and do just fine as he was Freshman All-Socon last year and is second on the team in rushing yards.

And let it go, App got dominated in that game. Wofford made mistakes too and left at least 14 points on the field, and that last touchdown wasn't garbage by any means. You're just making excuses now. I mean for Chrissake, we gave you the ball how many times in our own territory to start off? you didn't capitalize on our mistakes, and we made a lot of mistakes, so it's more on us that it was close than vice versa

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wow...what a joke. EB goes down, and we're fine....are we as good? no, but whenever you lose a player of that caliber you aren't as good. Donovan Johnson would take over the fullback position, and do just fine as he was Freshman All-Socon last year and is second on the team in rushing yards.

And let it go, App got dominated in that game. Wofford made mistakes too and left at least 14 points on the field, and that last touchdown wasn't garbage by any means. You're just making excuses now. I mean for Chrissake, we gave you the ball how many times in our own territory to start off? you didn't capitalize on our mistakes, and we made a lot of mistakes, so it's more on us that it was close than vice versa

No excuses "liitle terrier".

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Please explain

I'm pretty sure it's a dig at the CAA. Of course, with 11 teams playing football in the CAA vs only 9 in the SoCon the CAA doesn't have the luxury of being able to have a round-robin in-conference schedule.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Citadel is a good team in that they have a good defense and they are much improved in comparison to years past. Pardon me for calling out Elon for having nail-biters against the likes of NCCU, the Citadel, and Western. As I said, the Citadel could make the playoffs, but I doubt they will, seeing as they have Chatty, App, and GSU still on the schedule. Elon will not make the playoffs. You're relevance left with Lembo, Hudgins, and Riddle. Crucify me for smack but it's the gospel truth. I mean really, they had a back and forth affair with Western Carolina? WESTERN CAROLINA?! I give The Citadel respect because they are improving whereas Elon is not

.....and yesterday's game was how much different than the last couple times Elon has visited WCU? Seems to be a common theme of back and forth at their place in recent years.

Who here is even arguing Elon will make the playoffs? I'm certainly not. I said earlier in the thread that overall our team isn't good (a point you and anti drug obviously missed).

You contradict yourself over and over again. "Elon hasn't played anyone." But yet have played SEC, GSU and have beaten what I consider a good El Cid team.

Last week it was the same El Cid contradiction on several different threads you ended up blaming on a typo(s). The point is.....well.....you truthfully don't know everything you think you do there little pup. That's bad coming from me.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
.....and yesterday's game was how much different than the last couple times Elon has visited WCU? Seems to be a common theme of back and forth at their place in recent years.

Who here is even arguing Elon will make the playoffs? I'm certainly not. I said earlier in the thread that overall our team isn't good (a point you and anti drug obviously missed).

You contradict yourself over and over again. "Elon hasn't played anyone." But yet have played SEC, GSU and have beaten what I consider a good El Cid team.

Last week it was the same El Cid contradiction on several different threads you ended up blaming on a typo(s). The point is.....well.....you truthfully don't know everything you think you do there little pup. That's bad coming from me.

what a sore loser xlolx okay want me to rephrase...Elon hasn't beaten anyone, it's all the same seeing as they've played poorly across the board. I'm as consistent as they come. Enjoy the gutter for the next decade

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
what a sore loser xlolx okay want me to rephrase...Elon hasn't beaten anyone, it's all the same seeing as they've played poorly across the board. I'm as consistent as they come. Enjoy the gutter for the next decade

Discrepancies in your statements continue puppy.....oh well.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Discrepancies in your statements continue puppy.....oh well.

yeah and you have to insert some Pete Lembo junk in every thread to assert relevance....and brag about baseball accomplishments on a football message board...you can criticize when you show knowledge that is relevant

ElonPride
October 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
yeah and you have to insert some Pete Lembo junk in every thread to assert relevance....and brag about baseball accomplishments on a football message board...you can criticize when you show knowledge that is relevant

Yup I do! I have no qualms admitting I know more about baseball than football, and am more of a fan of a baseball than football....and on top of that, I'm not afraid to brag about my school's accomplishment on this message board in said sport. Good one, you got me? xeyebrowx

Folks called you out about your contradictions previously, and you've been called out again for the EXACT same one(s). Must have been another "typo." Poor puppy.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Yup I do! I have no qualms admitting I know more about baseball than football, and am more of a fan of a baseball than football....and on top of that, I'm not afraid to brag about my school's accomplishment on this message board in said sport. Good one, you got me? xeyebrowx

Folks called you out about your contradictions previously, and you've been called out again for the EXACT same one(s). Must have been another "typo." Poor puppy.

you're full of it aren't ya? The only one who considers that a contradiction is yourself

asumike83
October 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I would be surprised if the SoCon got more than 3 teams in, although the conference is as deep as it's been in a while. ASU should get in but we still have work to do to make it to 7 wins. Furman's loss this weekend really hurt their chances as well. Samford is a wild card here; they took 2 TD losses to the top teams in the conference and beat a pretty good Furman team on the road. I like their chances against Elon, Western and Citadel to get to 6 wins but their season may come down to the ASU/Chattanooga games.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Will you call the field average if we win the national championship? C'mon man!

Saint3333
October 9th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Technically you:
1 - claimed Citadel was a decent team
2 - Elon beat Citadel
3 - claimed Elon hasn't played anybody

I like to give EP as much crap as anyone, but he's got a point.

Back to the topic, I'd say the SoCon is up overall over the past few years. UTC and Citadel are better, WCU is as well but they only had one way to go. GSU and Wofford are also up. Furman is down or flat, Samford up slightly. ASU is down.

The CAA as a whole is down, MWC is up, I can't figure out the Big Sky, and I've never been able to figure out the Southland.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Technically you:
1 - claimed Citadel was a decent team
2 - Elon beat Citadel
3 - claimed Elon hasn't played anybody

I like to give EP as much crap as anyone, but he's got a point.

Back to the topic, I'd say the SoCon is up overall over the past few years. UTC and Citadel are better, WCU is as well but they only had one way to go. GSU and Wofford are also up. Furman is down or flat, Samford up slightly. ASU is down.

The CAA as a whole is down, MWC is up, I can't figure out the Big Sky, and I've never been able to figure out the Southland.

I don't know if App. is down. Just because Wofford beat them. Don't hold your breath.

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I don't know if App. is down. Just because Wofford beat them. Don't hold your breath.

If you don't believe ASU is down, you haven't seen them play.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I doubt we'll get more than 3 teams in the playoffs this year.

GSU and Wofford are somewhat a lock IMO (but you can't look past anyone), but scheduling is going to hurt the rest of the conference. Chatty, The Citadel, and App did it right, the rest of the conference not so much. Western won't make the playoffs, let's put that to rest as well. Samford, Elon, GSU, and Wofford all scheduled sub D1 teams this year; what does that mean? they need to win 8 games this year as opposed to 7 for the sake of D1 victories.

As I said, I don't think that GSU or Wofford will have trouble with it. Samford can't lose any more FCS games or else they are eliminated as they play Auburn later this year, Elon is 4-2 but they haven't played ANYBODY; they have to win 4 more games and have yet to play App, Wofford, Furman, Samford, or Chattanooga. I don't see them winning 4 of those 5 games.

Chattanooga and Furman scheduled well, but I don't think they'll be able to pull off 7 D1 wins, as Furman has Wofford, GSU, App, Florida, and Chattanooga left and Chattanooga still has Furman, Samford, Wofford, and Elon. Furman can drop 2 of their remaining games, but if they lose to Wofford and GSU in the next 2 weeks their season is as good as over. Chattanooga can't drop any games and I don't know if they'll be able to pull that off.

App and the Citadel are the only teams with anything resembling a shot IMO....well at least App does. the citadel is a good team and showing improvement over years prior but they still have a ways to go. They have to win out against FCS competition as they will play South Carolina at the end of the year. App only needs 4 more wins to make it, and although they looked anemic on offense I think the potential is there for another playoff berth. They can beat Samford, The Citadel, Elon, and Western; if they do that and beat/finish ahead of Furman they'll make the playoffs.

In short, scheduling has screwed the Socon over, and it was a self inflicted wound. I think GSU and Wofford can play with anyone in the country and App will make noise, but the rest of the conference scheduled too vanilla; I think if Samford didn't play a sub d1 team, they'd have a very very good chance at making the playoffs this year. If chattanooga played in another conference they most certainly would make the playoffs, that Citadel loss really killed them though.

ASU's lack of a good performance vs VPI is a killer when it comes to being a play-off contender. It seems to negate what would be a strong opponent. The schedule is in question anyway after playing NC A&T and Savannah State.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2011, 08:59 PM

Vanderbilt is not exactly an SEC powerhouse.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
If you don't believe ASU is down, you haven't seen them play.

I was front and center at Gibbs my friend. Don't let a SOCON schedule fool you.

asumike83
October 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I was front and center at Gibbs my friend. Don't let a SOCON schedule fool you.

Were you at Kidd Brewer for the ASU/Wofford game last year? I give Wofford a ton of credit for how well they have done this year because they improved on what was already a good team, but ASU has taken a pretty big step back. Saying a team is 'down' is a relative term and ASU is certainly no slouch, but we do not have the kind of squad we've had in recent years.

At least, not yet anyways. There is still a lot of season left.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Personally, I believe the SoCon is one of the very top conferences in the FCS. Many App fans were really down on their team's loss to Wofford as if the Terriers were some high school team in part due to its low enrollment.. Wofford has proven to be one of the very top programs in all of FCS thus elevating the stature of the SoCon. GSU is proving its mettle, too.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I don't think App's down. I think their offensive coaching and playcalling sucks.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think App's down. I think their offensive coaching and playcalling sucks.

Some just don't seem to realize that this is a rebuilding year with a young line and having lost three players to the NFL. Many fans think every year should be a championship year and anything less means the coaches aren't doing their job. Evidently some fans want to fire Jerry Moore despte his record of only having one losing season in 22 years and three national back to back to back championships, not to mention their win over Michigan. Unfortunately there is a great deal of arrogance among App fans.

SideLine Shooter
October 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Some just don't seem to realize that this is a rebuilding year with a young line and having lost three players to the NFL. Many fans think every year should be a championship year and anything less means the coaches aren't doing their job. Evidently some fans want to fire Jerry Moore despiet his record of only having one losing season in 22 years and three national back to back to back championships. There is a great deal of arrogance among App fans.

OK, so App is the only school with arrogant fans?

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Some just don't seem to realize that this is a rebuilding year with a young line and having lost three players to the NFL. Many fans think every year should be a championship year and anything less means the coaches aren't doing their job. Evidently some fans want to fire Jerry Moore despiet his record of only having one losing season in 22 years and three national back to back to back championships. There is a great deal of arrogance among App fans.

The defensive team I saw a couple weeks ago was a lot better than the yardage and points accumulated against it. The offensive team had way too many weapons to be performing at the level they are at. Cadet, Quick, Jorden, Baker, and Pressley? There's no reason that offense can't put up at least 28 a game. I know there are question marks on the OL but there are 2 seniors there I think. We did what we needed to do to stop App and I think we can if we're defensively hitting on all cylinders but at the same time I think App's offense wasn't at full strength against us because of the playcalling

Apphole
October 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Bingo, and they're getting the message. Get ready to see some fancy play calling in a statement game at El Cid. The bell boys might get the score run up on them next weekend.

boonegoon
October 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Bingo, and they're getting the message. Get ready to see some fancy play calling in a statement game at El Cid. The bell boys might get the score run up on them next weekend.

I hope and think so too. I don't know if the coaches don't have confidence in the personnel or what, but I definitely put this on the coaches. Too predictable and little passing game. Whatever happened to the slant?

SoCon48
October 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM
OK, so App is the only school with arrogant fans?

Who said the only school with arrogant fans? Arrogant in that the expectations are a bit high.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Until the offensive line is able to do its job, any playcalling will make the coaches look weak.

SideLine Shooter
October 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Who said the only school with arrogant fans? Arrogant in that the expectations are a bit high.

My expectations are always high and that doesn't mean I'm arrogant about it.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM

As of 10/10/11 ASU is not as good of a team as any team from 2005-2010. Now there is arguably more talent at the skill positions than ever, but as a team yes they are down. My hope is they are a much better team soon, about 5 days from now would be nice.

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
As of 10/10/11 ASU is not as good of a team as any team from 2005-2010. Now there is arguably more talent at the skill positions than ever, but as a team yes they are down. My hope is they are a much better team soon, about 5 days from now would be nice.

I think you all but said it, I believe the problem is with your lines, esp the O-Line. App can play with anyone in the conference and I hope only loses one more game, a home game, later this month, awww heck I hope we beat you guys ;)

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Were you at Kidd Brewer for the ASU/Wofford game last year? I give Wofford a ton of credit for how well they have done this year because they improved on what was already a good team, but ASU has taken a pretty big step back. Saying a team is 'down' is a relative term and ASU is certainly no slouch, but we do not have the kind of squad we've had in recent years.

At least, not yet anyways. There is still a lot of season left.

I was there. What you guys don't know is that was our worst played game of the year. We weren't as bad as we looked and yall weren't as good.

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I'm not an App. fan, but am a SOCON fan. A loss to VT and Wofford isn't the end of the world. That team last yr got spanked by 'Nova, NFL players and all.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm not an App. fan, but am a SOCON fan. A loss to VT and Wofford isn't the end of the world. That team last yr got spanked by 'Nova, NFL players and all.

It is laughable that you've trying to tell me what level ASU is currently playing at. Stop.

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Your wish is my command.

Apphole
October 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I was there. What you guys don't know is that was our worst played game of the year. We weren't as bad as we looked and yall weren't as good.

Damn, a few wins into the season and some of these Wofford guys think their shlt doesn't stink. The game wasn't in the bag until 3 minutes to go in the 4th and we couldn't convert in the red zone. Get over Yosef. You're not too far ahead of ASU, especially on the road.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Damn, a few wins into the season and some of these Wofford guys think their shlt doesn't stink. The game wasn't in the bag until 3 minutes to go in the 4th and we couldn't convert in the red zone. Get over Yosef. You're not too far ahead of ASU, especially on the road.

you see that, and we see how many mistakes we made and we still won by 2 scores, pardon our optimism

Apphole
October 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
you see that, and we see how many mistakes we made and we still won by 2 scores, pardon our optimism

We also made plenty of mistakes. It's a two-way street. Teams make mistakes happen more often in their opponents.