2011 Record: 29-6 (7-2 SLC)
Total: 205-81 (76-45 SLC)

Southland Conference - Week 6 Game Listing
Nicholls State at Sam Houston State
McNeese State at Central Arkansas
Lamar at Texas State-San Marcos
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State

TT's Quick Analysis and Predictions

Nicholls State at Sam Houston State - The Colonels are seeking that first Division I win and enter the week after blowing a lead at home against UCA. SHSU seems to have a workman like attitude. One game at a time. Lots of key contributors. Think the Kats will bring the pressure. SAM HOUSTON STATE

McNeese State at Central Arkansas - The Bears took a win on the road at Nicholls while McNeese fell at home to San Marcos. This may be the best game on the docket this week. Going to be a close game and I liked what UCA showed in coming back last week. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Lamar at Texas State-San Marcos - The Bobcats posted the big win at Lake Charles. Lamar lost at home to Northwestern State. The Cardinals are not there yet as far as being a squad that compete against the top half of the SLC. The Bobcats - if they were in a league counter - would clearly be in the top half of the league after beating the Pokes on the road. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State - The Demons had a nice little road win at Lamar. The Lions got to enjoy the comforts of a bye week. I still believe this is going to be a long year for the Lions and it only will feel longer against making the trek to Natchitoches. NORTHWESTERN STATE

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Week 1: 8-0
Week 2: 6-0
Week 3: 7-0
Week 4: 2-3
Week 5: 3-2
Week 6: 3-1

28-6 overall

Lamar at Texas State-San Marcos

Hood
October 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Seriously anyone considering picking Nicholls is in need of a bucket of cold water dumped on their head. Oh SURE we might upset someone and that'd be a lucky guess, but yeesh. We got lucky yesterday. I really think our coach is not as advertised and very confused.

BEAR
October 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I was shocked UCA played as bad as they did. This team has no chemistry like in years past. McNeese can blow this one out of the water this week. So what's the record for yards given up in a season by a Southland team? We're close I'm sure. LOL

katstrapper
October 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Nicholls State at Sam Houston State-- Homecoming for Kats this weekend after a great win in BOTPW on Saturday. Nicholls scored 30+ on UCA, but I think the Kat D will be up to the task. The only thing that worries me is that this team has a let down looking ahead to McNeese next week, but I will still take the Kats..Sam Houston

McNeese State at Central Arkansas-- Bears come back and win in Thibodeaux and now head back to Conway for some home cooking. Surprised to see Pokes lose at home. This game is a toss up, but think McNeese will bounce back... McNeese St

Lamar at Texas State-San Marcos.. Who knows which Lamar team will show up. They score 40+ on SE La then only 17 at home against NW St. Bobcats are on a bit of roll lately after a nice road win in Lake Chuck..... Texas State

Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State... The Demons are another team of which you dont know who will show up. SE La. had a bye week, but think NW State should pull this one out.... Northwestern St.

GeauxLions94
October 9th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Lamar at Texas State

Dallas Demon
October 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Lamar at Texas State

I agree with this.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Sam, mcneese, Texas state, nw state....

And bye will probably get 3-4 picks on attaway and will crush sfa

McNeese75
October 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Nicholls State at Sam Houston State - Kats are for real and I don't see them letting off the gas in this one.
McNeese State at Central Arkansas - Pure Homer pick and a wish. If the Pokes do not spool up some offense this one will be an L
Lamar at Texas State - Cats fumbled 5 times last night and lost none. Can't beat that kind of luck, lol
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State - I think the Demon D will carry the day in this one.

Cat79
October 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I think our defense had something to do with the game result. 75 Texas State is the only team in recent years to defeat you in the Hole consistently

msupokes1
October 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think our defense had something to do with the game result. 75 Texas State is the only team in recent years to defeat you in the Hole consistently

Northwestern D was able to hold us to less yards that Texas State. Our offense is just struggling right now. Hopefully they can pick it up a notch. Too many playmakers on that offense to think they would be that down.

McNeese75
October 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Your defense did its job at the end of the game and Stroud made a mistake in grounding the ball (He is a sophomore). The loss was very frustrating and of course the game was a very winnable one. Other than the muffed punt snap at the end of the game the Cats came out on top on just about every other break. The stats tell a different story in the game but the plays that counted were not made by McNeese. This has pretty much been the story in those wins in Cowboy Stadium over the past few years.

No sour grapes here (frustration, yes) I will give TS-SM credit for the win and doing what it took to get the W but if you are looking for confirmation that you had the better team, you won't get it from me, LOL I have seen a few posts in other threads by another Cat fan pushing for a ranking in the AGS poll. I have to agree with Ursus and others that no matter how good your team does this year, you do have a scholly advantage and therefore are not eligible (like the other transition teams). xtwocentsx

Cat79
October 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
BTW

Two of our fumbles recorded were to the outside pitch that went out of bounds both times.:D

Cat79
October 10th, 2011, 11:37 AM
No sour grapes here (frustration, yes) I will give TS-SM credit for the win and doing what it took to get the W but if you are looking for confirmation that you had the better team, you won't get it from me, LOL I have seen a few posts in other threads by another Cat fan pushing for a ranking in the AGS poll. I have to agree with Ursus and others that no matter how good your team does this year, you do have a scholly advantage and therefore are not eligible (like the other transition teams). xtwocentsx[/QUOTE]

We have a solid team not great like the 2005 version. Their performance is getting better every week. You have two tough teams ahead in UCA and Sam Houston. The timing is right for Sam Houston to fall so good luck. They have a big fat head thinking they are better than they really are right now which usually leads to a loss. We will make sure we put a L on them when they come into San Marcos. You have to win out to take the SLC crown from them. They are ranked high enough that Sam will get an added playoff spot if they end with two losses.

I saw his post and could care less about being ranked.

McNeese75
October 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM
No sour grapes here (frustration, yes) I will give TS-SM credit for the win and doing what it took to get the W but if you are looking for confirmation that you had the better team, you won't get it from me, LOL I have seen a few posts in other threads by another Cat fan pushing for a ranking in the AGS poll. I have to agree with Ursus and others that no matter how good your team does this year, you do have a scholly advantage and therefore are not eligible (like the other transition teams). xtwocentsx

We have a solid team not great like the 2005 version. Their performance is getting better every week. You have two tough teams ahead in UCA and Sam Houston. The timing is right for Sam Houston to fall so good luck. They have a big fat head thinking they are better than they really are right now which usually leads to a loss. We will make sure we put a L on them when they come into San Marcos. You have to win out to take the SLC crown from them. They are ranked high enough that Sam will get an added playoff spot if they end with two losses.

I saw his post and could care less about being ranked.[/QUOTE]

As well you should, xnodx

McNeese75
October 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
BTW

Two of our fumbles recorded were to the outside pitch that went out of bounds both times.:D

xlolx You are preaching to the Choir here. I saw every one of the quirky bounces.

katstrapper
October 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
CAT '79,

Just another bobkitty talking out of their azz again..... ha ha ha ha ha.... This team is FAR from big headed. You might want to sit and watch this team play before you make an ASSumption.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM

SHSU is getting a 'big fat head'?

Not really... the Bearkat players and coaches' comments are making it pretty clear that they are taking a one game at a time approach. Willie Fritz has stated that with each passing game won, it gets more and more difficult to win the next one. Just make a bigger target on yourself and you open up the players to be complacent. One thing is certain - the SHSU players have taken his words and have been very up front with their demeanor. It's very 'workmanlike' attitude in Huntsville.

Can't speak for fans... after being joined by two others in the KFs.com Poewr Rankings in voting McNeese as #1, I am back alone. McNeese lost to TXST out of conference and all Bearkat fans know if we get past the Colonels this weekend, all that really matters is the next one - McNeese. If we beat McNeese, we are on to something...

DG Cowboy
October 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I may be wrong, but I feel that the Texas State loss puts McNeese in the position of having to win conference to make the playoffs. Guess I am just disappointed in the performance Saturday night.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I may be wrong, but I feel that the Texas State loss puts McNeese in the position of having to win conference to make the playoffs. Guess I am just disappointed in the performance Saturday night.

If McNeese wins five of the next six, they'll be at seven Division I wins. They are 2-2 right now against Division I foes with six games left. The SHSU athletic department informed me that the UTSA win does count as a Division I win.

McNeese could conceivably lose to SHSU and win the other five games... and via that means, have an impressive four game win streak heading into the playoffs.

Probably do need to win the SLC to assure a bid, because a seven win Southland team will lose out each time to seven win teams from Big Sky, SoCon, Missouri Valley or CAA...

Cat79
October 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
CAT '79,

Just another bobkitty talking out of their azz again..... ha ha ha ha ha.... This team is FAR from big headed. You might want to sit and watch this team play before you make an ASSumption.

Katcrapper

You guys are being arrogant and the other teams see it. :D

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
You guys are being arrogant and the other teams see it. :D

From the Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/SHSU-marches-all-over-SFA-in-Battle-of-Piney-Woods-2209360.php)... and this has been pretty consistent all along... don't think this team is being arrogant based on all interviews and opportunities to speak that I have seen..

The Bearkats, however, are resisting the urge to gloat.

"We're just trying to stay humble," linebacker Darius Taylor said after the game. "(The 5-0 start) feels good, but ... we're taking it one game at a time. We're just trying to keep this thing rolling."

blackfordpu
October 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I am not sure where you are getting that impression from? Have you heard the coach speak or the players for that matter. There was no gloating in the post game interviews on Saturday by any of the SHSU players or coaches. Fritz has instilled a "one game at a time" attitude and it seems to have taken.

El Gato
October 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I saw his post and could care less about being ranked.

Great. I do.

As I mentioned on another post, we are not eligible for playoffs or any type of championships, so really the poll is all there is for some type of recognition from the outside world that the Cats are doing something right. I mean when it comes down to it, polls are a reward for your success on the field, and I personally feel they deserve that award (at the moment-things could change if the team doesn't perform well in the upcoming games).

No matter though in regards to AGS. Coaches Poll and The Sports Network Poll both have given Texas State votes though.

Bearkats94
October 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Great. I do.

As I mentioned on another post, we are not eligible for playoffs or any type of championships, so really the poll is all there is for some type of recognition from the outside world that the Cats are doing something right. I mean when it comes down to it, polls are a reward for your success on the field, and I personally feel they deserve that award (at the moment-things could change if the team doesn't perform well in the upcoming games).

No matter though in regards to AGS. Coaches Poll and The Sports Network Poll both have given Texas State votes though.

But AGS poll has the right to not have Txstate in their poll. xtwocentsx

TheRevSFA
October 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM
The Bobcats ARE doing something right. They are getting prepped to become FBS bottom feeders.

Bearkat-Backer
October 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Nicholls State at Sam Houston State -I will be there for this one.
McNeese State at Central Arkansas -Would like to see UCA pull off the win, but I don't think it will happen.
Lamar at Texas State

txstatebobcat
October 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
The Bobcats ARE doing something right. They are getting prepped to become FBS bottom feeders.

As opposed to an FCS bottom feeder like SFA. xlolx

El Gato
October 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
But AGS poll has the right to not have Txstate in their poll. xtwocentsx

True, and really can't argue with that one, except just to make my opinions known on how I disagree with that. Disagree but understand and the same time.

El Gato
October 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Wow. Way to contribute something intellectual to the discussion. If we wanted smack on this thread, I believe there is a spot on the board designated for that. At least the other SLC posters post relevant discussion.

(I swear, I work with kids all day, and I hate having to deal with them on a board which should be free of such immaturity, *sigh*)

MSU_77
October 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Wow. Way to contribute something intellectual to the discussion. If we wanted smack on this thread, I believe there is a spot on the board designated for that. At least the other SLC posters post relevant discussion.

(I swear, I work with kids all day, and I hate having to deal with them on a board which should be free of such immaturity, *sigh*)

Does Texas State currently offer more than 63 football scholarships? I don't know - just asking. If you do, your team should not be eligible in FCS polls. If not, you should be.

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Does Texas State currently offer more than 63 football scholarships? I don't know - just asking. If you do, your team should not be eligible in FCS polls. If not, you should be.

Texas State is currently offering 74 scholarships with a full allotment of 85 in 2012 ... that's why they're not eligible for Southland Conference title and FCS playoffs.

katstrapper
October 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Here is a look at that POWERHOUSE conference they are headed too....

Western Athletic Conf All
Hawaii 1-0 3-2

Nevada 1-0 2-3

Fresno State 1-0 2-4

Louisiana Tech 1-1 2-4

San Jose State 1-1 2-4

Utah State 0-0 2-3

New Mexico State 0-1 2-3

Idaho 0-2 1-5

DG Cowboy
October 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
So modest income fans can choose among UTSA (of course), LA Tech and NM State for reasonable road trips. Hope the grass is really greener for you when you get there.

BEAR
October 12th, 2011, 12:05 PM
xeyebrowx Wow. Talk about long road trips. I'm already saving up for my trip to Lake Charles next year. xlolx

DG Cowboy
October 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
How long does it take by covered wagon? Using 4 mules or 6 this time? :>)

Looking forward to seeing the Bears in The Hole again. Hope we don't clash with the carpet at Estes too badly this Saturday.
Enjoy the day!

LIONFAN07
October 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Lamar at Texas State
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State- Why notxthumbsupx

slycat
October 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Yup looking forward to teams like Texas Tech, Nevada, and Navy coming to town. Sure we will struggle at first but its all about playing at the highest level possible. Sure I'll miss the playoffs but thats ok. The level of passon in San Marcos has never been higher and facilites across the board have improved. I'm a Texas St fan for life and will support them no matter what level they play at.

BEAR
October 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
How long does it take by covered wagon? Using 4 mules or 6 this time? :>)

Looking forward to seeing the Bears in The Hole again. Hope we don't clash with the carpet at Estes too badly this Saturday.
Enjoy the day!

xlolx The carpet clashes with the carpet already... xnodx xnodx

Cowboy colors will just add to the amazing contrast the colors will "show" on SLC TV. xhighfivex

Oh...two senior defensive players were "suspended" from the team for the rest of the year...Our defense was thin enough and giving up major yardage already...YIKES!

I also noticed on the team roster that UCA has a total of 49 redshirt freshmen and freshmen on the team. Double yikes!

DG Cowboy
October 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but 49 FR and RSFR sounds ominous for the SLC in future years!

Bearkats94
October 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yup looking forward to teams like Texas Tech, Nevada, and Navy coming to town. Sure we will struggle at first but its all about playing at the highest level possible. Sure I'll miss the playoffs but thats ok. The level of passon in San Marcos has never been higher and facilites across the board have improved. I'm a Texas St fan for life and will support them no matter what level they play at.

We will see in about 10 years if you are saiding they same thing.

BEAR
October 12th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, but 49 FR and RSFR sounds ominous for the SLC in future years!

True. But UCA isn't a "wait til next year" type of team. We, as fans, want it now. The team wants it more than we do. But the fates have been cruel. Be ready for a battle saturday Cowboys!

Cat79
October 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM

How many beers did you have? We will be quite okay in 10 years. How about you?

slycat
October 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM

You never know. Wouldn't be surprised to see SHSU ride Texas States coat tails to FBS land either.

kingkat99
October 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
You never know. Wouldn't be surprised to see SHSU ride Texas States coat tails to FBS land either.

Nah, I hope not...thats Lamar's MO...They are pumped to show their stuff to Ol Mr. Benson this weekend...

rexreed
October 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Might need to give them an extension- UNT has gotten one as did ULL and ULM. Now we evaluate their progress after 15 and 30 years. So far they are still bottom of the heap with attendance issues. I really hope it works out for the Bobcats, the realist in me doesn't think they will fare any better than the previously mentioned former SLC schools. If Sam were doing the same thing I'd be just as pessimistic.xpeacex

TheRevSFA
October 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM
As opposed to an FCS bottom feeder like SFA. xlolx

Hey those two SLC championships you guys had are really spectacular looking on your resume. Too bad McNeese, "bottom feeding" SFA and Sam were more successful in conference.

Oh well...hey I hear the Kibbie Dome has plenty of seats available for your game at Idaho. No one gives a **** about them either :D

TheRevSFA
October 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Great. I do.

Will you guys put up a "2011 FCS Independent Champions" banner at Bobcat Stadium?

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Will you guys put up a "2011 FCS Independent Champions" banner at Bobcat Stadium?

Nah, they'd never do that...

Same bunch was criticizing Central Arkansas after they got rings and the whole nine yards... after 'winning' the SLC title that one year! ;)

txst80
October 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hey those two SLC championships you guys had are really spectacular looking on your resume. Too bad McNeese, "bottom feeding" SFA and Sam were more successful in conference.

Oh well...hey I hear the Kibbie Dome has plenty of seats available for your game at Idaho. No one gives a **** about them either :D

Why so bitter? Is it our 5 consecutive wins over you guys?

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Why so bitter? Is it our 5 consecutive wins over you guys?

I'd be focused on competing with UTSA on who is the bigger ***** in the WAC. My money is on you

Hood
October 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM
So I think Nicholls does better when our starting QB is on the sideline and the back up is on the field. Glad I didn't waste my gas.

EDIT: Disregard, I didn't realize the guy I'd rather start WAS the starter. Blah.

txstatebobcat
October 16th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Nah, they'd never do that...

Same bunch was criticizing Central Arkansas after they got rings and the whole nine yards... after 'winning' the SLC title that one year! ;)

Don't worry us bobcat fans will be here reminding everyone to put a * next to the conference champion.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
A perfect 4-0 (3-0 SLC) week!

Don't worry us bobcat fans will be here reminding everyone to put a * next to the conference champion.

Talk about being hypocrites... how many TXST fans would have been willing to do that next to their SLC crown a few years back? LOL

UCA was playing at a disadvantage too, not sure you could say the same about TXST... who despite playing at a significant financial advantage (amongst other advantages), continually failed to succeed in football against the 'Davids' of the league.

crossfire07
October 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Kind of hard to be a conference champion when you are not in a conference don't ya think? Besides, you have already had your "gimme" conference championship given that you didn't earn. Don't get greedy. :)

txst80
October 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Kind of hard to be a conference champion when you are not in a conference don't ya think? Besides, you have already had your "gimme" conference championship given that you didn't earn. Don't get greedy. :)

If we didn't deserve the 2008 title than whoever wins the Southland this year won't deserve their title if we finish on top. We won the 2008 title fair and in accordance to the rules. Everybody knows the rules going into the season. UCA was ineligible then, we are ineligible now.

BEAR
October 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
If we didn't deserve the 2008 title than whoever wins the Southland this year won't deserve their title if we finish on top. We won the 2008 title fair and in accordance to the rules. Everybody knows the rules going into the season. UCA was ineligible then, we are ineligible now.

UCA wasn't ineligible to win the title. How many times does that have to be said. UCA was eligible to win the title, just like the year before, but the SLC would have to give up the autobid into the playoffs for that year. I couldn't see that happening to the SLC so even though I was bothered UCA was denied the title, I understood from a broader perspective.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Yes whoever wins this year will deserve the title as they are Southland Conference members as was UCA in 2008, you guys are not a member institution any longer, and are not playing on a level playing field any scholarship or money wise...

Bearkats94
October 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
How many beers did you have? We will be quite okay in 10 years. How about you?

I don't have time to drink. I have a wife and kids I spend my money on.

crossfire07
October 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM

That was the Southland not standing up to the NCAA and saying UCA is our champion. Funny how UCA did not know that at the beginning of the year and how it came out after the season started and they was rolling.They should not have sent anyone but hell, when does those idiots in Frisco ever do the right thing.

txst80
October 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
UCA wasn't ineligible to win the title. How many times does that have to be said. UCA was eligible to win the title, just like the year before, but the SLC would have to give up the autobid into the playoffs for that year. I couldn't see that happening to the SLC so even though I was bothered UCA was denied the title, I understood from a broader perspective.

I thought there was a 4-year transition period for schools moving from D2 to D1 in which they are ineligible to compete for any championships. It was my understanding that UCA wasn't eligible for titles in any sports in that 4 year span with the exception of the couple sports they could fast-track.

BEAR
October 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I thought there was a 4-year transition period for schools moving from D2 to D1 in which they are ineligible to compete for any championships. It was my understanding that UCA wasn't eligible for titles in any sports in that 4 year span with the exception of the couple sports they could fast-track.

I thought that too. But from what I remember it was 4 years without any eligibility for post-season play not conference championships. The fast track was to allow those two sports to compete for post season championships. I guess football championships for the conference are determined by regular season records so it's not post-season. Either way, the team got rings and a banner...and an asterisk. LOL

TexasTerror
October 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Correct, UCABEAR.

The Bears were not eligible for the regular season title in football because it directly impacted the league's ability to acquire an automatic bid. No other sports are like that with the exception of those contested in a 'conference championship' format like cross country and golf. UCA was a 'non-counter' participant if my memory serves me correctly in those sports or did not compete at all.

El Gato
October 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
A perfect 4-0 (3-0 SLC) week!

Talk about being hypocrites... how many TXST fans would have been willing to do that next to their SLC crown a few years back? LOL

UCA was playing at a disadvantage too, not sure you could say the same about TXST... who despite playing at a significant financial advantage (amongst other advantages), continually failed to succeed in football against the 'Davids' of the league.

Think he was being sarcastic and was kind of poking fun at you and the way you constantly bring up that season and the asterisk.