PDA

View Full Version : Wofford to play a totally unneeded game next

woffordgrad94
October 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I really mean no disrespect to the UVA-Wise Cavaliers. I think they have a decent team at the NAIA level. But WHY are the Wofford Terriers playing them? Can't we do ANY better on scheduling? Why can't we get a home-and home with an Ivy League team? A Patriot League team? Or a CAA team like Richmond, William and Mary, James Madison, Delaware, or Townson? What about Jacksonville State? Heck, even Pioneer League teams would likely beat UVA-Wise. The score of this game might get ridiculous. I'm sure Mike Ayers will play everyone on the active roster, but you can't ask third stringers to take a knee in the 3rd quarter.

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Waddayu gunna do?

woffordgrad94
October 9th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Not much I can do. I'll go to the game, but I imagine a lot of fans who are not as devoted as me might skip this one. I just want to emphasize that I am not throwing Wofford under the bus...I am merely saying that the average fan would have more interest this week if we were playing a more interesting opponent.

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
They should drop atleast 10 places for playing an naia team. xnonox

SideLine Shooter
October 9th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Ayers needs some more wins on his resume.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Not much I can do. I'll go to the game, but I imagine a lot of fans who are not as devoted as me might skip this one. I just want to emphasize that I am not throwing Wofford under the bus...I am merely saying that the average fan would have more interest this week if we were playing a more interesting opponent.

Naw, I understand. This must have been a favor game to the new coaching staff over there. I don't like these games either.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
They should drop atleast 10 places for playing an naia team. xnonox

No disrespect, but it's in essence another bye week.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ayers needs some more wins on his resume.

LOL

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Wofford has no business playing Virginia -- Wise. Of course Ga. Southern had no business playing Tusculum either. For us we had little choice as Coastal Carolina opted out of playing us at a very late date and we were scrambling to find a replacement (Tusculum). I don't know the circumstances for Wofford.

I am not a fan of playing any D2 or lower opponents.

TheBisonator
October 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Wofford has no business playing Virginia -- Wise. Of course Ga. Southern had no business playing Tusculum either. For us we had little choice as Coastal Carolina opted out of playing us at a very late date and we were scrambling to find a replacement (Tusculum). I don't know the circumstances for Wofford.

Um, no. You were scheduled to play US and you pussed out.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
No the Presbyterian game replaced the NDSU game. THe Tusculum game was a last minute change after Coastal opted out of our game.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Why can't we get a home-and home with . . . a Patriot League team?

Lafayette Head Coach Frank Tavani's son, Dan, was an outstanding DB at Wofford. You'd think, right?

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Some of the issue is that our fans and I believe Coach Monken is committed to have 6 home games every season. We are drawing around 20,000 every game and I think the 6 home games are part of a financial thing too.

We have the 8 conference games every year -- 4 home and 4 away. That leaves 3 games to schedule. 2 could be home/home with other FCS teams -- 1 home and 1 road each year. The 11th game we want to be a home game and it necessitates finding a team who will come to Paulson with no return game

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Lafayette Head Coach Frank Tavani's son, Dan, was an outstanding DB at Wofford. You'd think, right?

great player...tough as nails too, tore his ACL in 07 and came back to play in the playoffs

kdinva
October 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Neither now is Jay Mills.......xbangx

apaladin
October 9th, 2011, 05:45 PM
It is obvious. It is the week before Furman. Last year WC played Union College the week before FU. xnodx

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It is obvious. It is the week before Furman. Last year WC played Union College the week before FU. xnodx

Please explain.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Please explain.

conspiracy theory so we have a virtual extra bye to beat the snot out of Furman the next week, I can't say I dislike the approach xnodx

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM
conspiracy theory so we have a virtual extra bye to beat the snot out of Furman the next week, I can't say I dislike the approach xnodx

Not trying to stir anyone up, but Furman is not a threat to us this year.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Not trying to stir anyone up, but Furman is not a threat to us this year.

It's the socon, everyone's a threat, Furman has the potential to beat us if they play their best game and if we make mistakes. I hope we hang 50 on them though

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
It's the socon, everyone's a threat, Furman has the potential to beat us if they play their best game and if we make mistakes. I hope we hang 50 on them though

At least 40.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
At least 40.

we're talking about hopes and dreams here....I want to rub their nose in the ground for what they did to us while we were wounded 2 years ago

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
we're talking about hopes and dreams here....I want to rub their nose in the ground for what they did to us while we were wounded 2 years ago

Last year was a good start.

kdinva
October 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM
FYI: Saturday, UVa @ Wise lost 21-13 to Kentucky Christian........a team that lost 67-0 to Morehead St. earlier........Wesley Coll. would beat UVa/W by 25.

drpnut
October 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I know from a conversation with the staff at Woffy that this game was a "fill-in" game. They were trying to schedule a FCS team but were having a hard time getting it worked out. Word is there even was a verbal agrement that got backed out before contract was signed. This unnamed school signed on to play an FBS school to get the money.

Actually, froma player development standpoin I like this. The starters can play a couple of series, then turn it over to the back-ups. I believe it will be good for Brian Kass to get most of the playing time. It will give him confidence, give the team confidence in him, which will pay dividends as season rolls on.

Do I like playing NAIA or D2, no. But we can still use this to our advantage.

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I wish the SoCon would ban scheduling D2 or NAIA games for football, it can only hurt our conference and lower the chances of ever getting 4 teams in the playoffs.

Twentysix
October 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM

lolololololololololololololololololol

Your AD pussed out of coming to fargo to lose. So you paid 60,000 dollars to play a D2 team instead.

Facts........

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/10/29/georgia-southern-is-out/

fortunately our AD has raised the ooc buyout price to $200,000.. Might still be a little low.

Eaglesrus
October 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
lolololololololololololololololololol

Your AD pussed out of coming to fargo to lose. So you paid 60,000 dollars to play a D2 team instead.

Facts........

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/10/29/georgia-southern-is-out/

fortunately our AD has raised the ooc buyout price to $200,000.. Might still be a little low.

Yet again, an NDSU fan who doesn't know, or can't accept, what actually happened. We replaced NDSU with a home game against Presbyterian (an FCS program). Even the article you linked says that. Our playing Tusculum was a result of Coastal Carolina cancelling a home game with us. You guys misconstruing that situation is really getting tiresome. If you want to be upset about it fine, but how about not making up stuff?

LeadBolt
October 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Yet again, an NDSU fan who doesn't know, or can't accept, what actually happened. We replaced NDSU with a home game against Presbyterian (an FCS program). Even the article you linked says that. Our playing Tusculum was a result of Coastal Carolina cancelling a home game with us. You guys misconstruing that situation is really getting tiresome. If you want to be upset about it fine, but how about not making up stuff?

From the posts by some of NDSU faithful, I'm beginning to think that NDSU is located in the twilight zone...

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I just learned that UVA wise is a NAIA D2 team.....can we get much lower in terms of competition? I mean that's as low or lower than D3 right?

TwoFeathers
October 10th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't know much about NAIA, but is it normal for NCAA teams to play NAIA teams? How does NAIA line up with NCAA? Div-II? Div-III?

Twentysix
October 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I believe NAIA is typically better than DIII.

NAIA offers scholarships D3 doesnt.

But there are 2 different levels of NAIA and I do not know the difference.

Grizalltheway
October 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Townson. xlolxxlolx

BlueHen86
October 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I wish the SoCon would ban scheduling D2 or NAIA games for football, it can only hurt our conference and lower the chances of ever getting 4 teams in the playoffs.

I don't like "lower level" games either, and Delaware has played D-II West Chester every year since moving to I-AA/FCS. The thing is, regardless of what us fans want, money plays a huge role in scheduling. An FCS program might want a home and home. A "lower level" team might be willing to play away games for the payout.

Sometimes you schedule lower level teams for money, and sometimes there isn't an FCS team available. Banning games against lower level teams would put the SoCon at a disadvantage, you might end up with teams occasionally playing only playing 10 games because they can't find an FCS team to play.

BlueHen86
October 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Townson. xlolxxlolx

I know. Serioulsy, how funny is that.

He left off the "St". :p

walliver
October 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM
This gets us a home game, but, it will be very poorly attended

What is really sad is that UVA-Wise is a team that Presbyterian used to schedule for their homecoming when PC was D-2

apaladin
October 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=walliver;1695061]This gets us a home game, but, it will be very poorly attended

All of your games are poorly attended, so no big deal. xnodxxthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=walliver;1695061]This gets us a home game, but, it will be very poorly attended

All of your games are poorly attended, so no big deal. xnodxxthumbsupx

coming from the furman fan?

terrierbob
October 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I just learned that UVA wise is a NAIA D2 team.....can we get much lower in terms of competition? I mean that's as low or lower than D3 right?

The NAIA dropped the two division classification for football in 1997. It still applies to BB. Not that that adds any lustre to the game...

I-16Bandit
October 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
You guys better blow them out and not pull a Presbyterian game like earlier in the season. The game can't help your chances towards playoffs, but it can hurt you immensly.

GaSouthern
October 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be a "let ayers name the score" game.

I still cant figure out why WoCo looked so horrible against presby.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Because we were up 28-7 and took the foot off the gas....and the refs decided to throw a flag every time we made a tackle xnodx

ngineer
October 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Might have been a late fill-in game if someone else punked out on a contract?

Terrierforlife
October 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Took our foot off of the gas. Almost ruined the season. I'm glad it happenned early. You guys can relate, can't you?

gomocs82
October 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Haven't read the entire thread...but this game is for the same reason BCS teams play SoCon teams....$$$$....extra home game for Wofford, $$$$ for VA-whatcha call its...some of the posts on here sound like the same comments BCS fans have when BCS plays SoCon team... for every ASU over UM there are 99 (maybe 999) more that are BCS wins, though there is the occassional scare (WC vs Clemson).....just a way of sharing the love...I look forward to UTC--at some point--buying a home game vs lower FCS or nonD1....

As for banning these games...how would FCS teams feel if they couldn't cash there $400-500,000 money game checks from the FBS/BCS teams?? $400,000 really helps the ole budget....

seantaylor
October 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Haven't read the entire thread...but this game is for the same reason BCS teams play SoCon teams....$$$$....extra home game for Wofford, $$$$ for VA-whatcha call its...some of the posts on here sound like the same comments BCS fans have when BCS plays SoCon team... for every ASU over UM there are 99 (maybe 999) more that are BCS wins, though there is the occassional scare (WC vs Clemson).....just a way of sharing the love...I look forward to UTC--at some point--buying a home game vs lower FCS or nonD1....

As for banning these games...how would FCS teams feel if they couldn't cash there $400-500,000 money game checks from the FBS/BCS teams?? $400,000 really helps the ole budget....

GSU was getting about $200K a game for FBS games until very recently. Teams that draw well in the FCS don't need these games. GSU makes more than those payouts from home games. But, we have a borderline retard for an AD, so we will keep scheduling bad draws.