PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 6

superman7515
October 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry for the delay, late dinner after the William & Mary game. As always, if you see any mistakes, send me a PM or leave a note here and I'll be sure to correct it as quickly as possible.

Any Given Saturday Top 25 - How They Fared Week 6 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdDU5NmhUMFFvNTVMMklQYkt0OTh1N Wc&hl=en_US)

JMUNJ08
October 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks again for doing this!

It seems there are alot of 1-4, 2-4, 1-5 teams on this list from last week...Can we clean this up guys and stop voting for a few of these as they have now shown they are not Top25 worthy????

ursus arctos horribilis
October 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Yup great work again and thanks for doing it Supe.

DSUrocks07
October 8th, 2011, 11:30 PM
No reason why Norfolk State shouldn't be ranked in the next poll. Possibly SC State as well.

ALSO: WOW...how far has SFA fallen? *insert joke about premature ejaculation here*

superman7515
October 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM
No reason why Norfolk State shouldn't be ranked in the next poll.

You'll get no argument out of me. I've spoken highly of them for several weeks now. Hopefully they don't disappoint me later in the season, but it looks like they didn't let the emotional high of beating SC State get them to overlook DelState.

Squealofthepig
October 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks again for doing this!

It seems there are alot of 1-4, 2-4, 1-5 teams on this list from last week...Can we clean this up guys and stop voting for a few of these as they have now shown they are not Top25 worthy????

That would be nice - all of my top 25 for this ballot have a winning record now (except for a few 3-3 teams in the 20s). And I gotta say, it's weird seeing my ballot include Tennessee Tech and Norfolk State.

GeauxLions94
October 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
And I gotta say, it's weird seeing my ballot include Tennessee Tech and Norfolk State.

Just voted and yes, it's weird seeing them in mine also.

HensRock
October 9th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Just voted and yes, it's weird seeing them in mine also.

+1, and add Tennessee-Martin !

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 07:36 AM
W&M and SUU out of my top 25 Harvard and ODU in.

W&M was my original preseason #1. They were not #1 in the 2nd draft of the preseason poll though.

Interesting season..

DSUrocks07
October 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
You'll get no argument out of me. I've spoken highly of them for several weeks now. Hopefully they don't disappoint me later in the season, but it looks like they didn't let the emotional high of beating SC State get them to overlook DelState.

Seems like they are having issues with penaltes, and although they are A LOT better than us, they did let us back into the game a bit in the 4th quarter. But they regained their focus.

Devonte Reynolds Twitter

@NSUDirty30 We were big headed to start that game today but we over came

If the team can hold on to that mentality for the rest of the season, they should be fine. Lack of focus upended BCU (loss to A&T) and threatened SC State (trailed against NCCU in a high scoring affair). Can't wait for the arguments about who is the best team in the Tidewater region. xnodx

bobcathpdevil56
October 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
These polls can be sooooo misleading. They have Richmond at 16, but after this week they will be out of the poll. Crazy, not giving enough credit to some of the other conferences

El Gato
October 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Texas State is now 4-2 on the season with the two losses being to FBS schools and wins against two FCS Top 25 teams now and 4-0 in the last 4 games (3-0 in the SLC). They are eligible for votes in The Sports Network Poll so why not AGS?

superman7515
October 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Because they have more than 63 scholarships, are FBS transitional, and are not eligible for the playoffs. Same reason as UMass and the other transitionals.

superman7515
October 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
So when looking over the "How They Fared" I notice that Jackson State is tied for #39 but Alabama State was obviously less than that because they're in the Others Receiving Votes category. Alabama State beat Jackson State at Jackson State. Alabama State's only loss is to an FBS team, Jackson State's only loss is to Alabama State. Just in case anyone is paying attention.

darell1976
October 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I just voted...I swapped the top 5 around.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM
So when looking over the "How They Fared" I notice that Jackson State is tied for #39 but Alabama State was obviously less than that because they're in the Others Receiving Votes category. Alabama State beat Jackson State at Jackson State. Alabama State's only loss is to an FBS team, Jackson State's only loss is to Alabama State. Just in case anyone is paying attention.

Good point.

katstrapper
October 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I hope all you voters keep Sam Houston under the radar.

darell1976
October 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I got them in my top 10!

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM

SHSU has been my #2 for a couple weeks. I, like many, still question the strength of the SLC schedule, but being undefeated with an FBS win deserves billing somewhere near the top of the poll IMO.

El Gato
October 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Because they have more than 63 scholarships, are FBS transitional, and are not eligible for the playoffs. Same reason as UMass and the other transitionals.

Didn't really address the question fully...I know that Texas State is not playoff eligible, but we are still classified as an FCS team, just in an independent conference. That being said, we should also be eligible for poll consideration in AGS since we are allowed votes in The Sports Network Poll.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Didn't really address the question fully...I know that Texas State is not playoff eligible, but we are still classified as an FCS team, just in an independent conference. That being said, we should also be eligible for poll consideration in AGS since we are allowed votes in The Sports Network Poll.

No. I don't know why it matters that TSN allows it. We feel they have made a mistake and did not want to duplicate that mistake here. We took a long and reasonable look at it and had more than one discussion on it over the summer and the committee didn't want to include teams that are transitioning and have more than the max # of FCS schollies.

Bearkats94
October 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
It will be the last time they will ever be in any poll if they was able to in the FCS poll.xlolx

FargoBison
October 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Why do Texas State fans even care? If my school was moving to the FBS and wasn't eligible for FCS postseason play I wouldn't care.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Why do Texas State fans even care? If my school was moving to the FBS and wasn't eligible for FCS postseason play I wouldn't care.

They don't care other than some minor grumbling on poll threads. I'm pretty sure we don't have a single TX St. voter.

cpalum
October 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM

Texas State has no business being in any poll....they offer more scholarships than FCS allows.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Texas State has no business being in any poll....they offer more scholarships than FCS allows.

Agreed. You can't give too many scholarships to your cake and eat it too.

stevdock
October 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'm curious if I'm missing something here or what. 103 1st place votes which means the most points you can get in a poll would be 2575, unless there were quite a few polls that had split #1's. How does GSU have more points then that, especially when not being unanimous??

superman7515
October 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I'm curious if I'm missing something here or what. 103 1st place votes which means the most points you can get in a poll would be 2575, unless there were quite a few polls that had split #1's. How does GSU have more points then that, especially when not being unanimous??

2011 AGS Poll Balloting Rules (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?90466-2011-AGS-Poll-Voters&highlight=ags+poll)

10. A team with less than two votes for #1 will not be reported as recieving #1 votes.

Ivytalk
October 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Superman, you might want to double- check Holy Cross's overall record. I think they've played more than 3 games. Otherwise, great job!

OhioHen
October 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Can't wait for the arguments about who is the best team in the Tidewater region. xnodx

Maybe the playoff committee will remedy the situation by scheduling NSU and ODU in a round of 16 or opening round game (assuming both keep winning).

superman7515
October 10th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Superman, you might want to double- check Holy Cross's overall record. I think they've played more than 3 games. Otherwise, great job!

Yeah, I keep having issues with ESPN, that's why I ask people to double-check, haha. Sometimes it takes them a day or more to update a score or record. They were missing a game on North Carolina Central's schedule, they still show North Carolina A&T playing a 12 game schedule with 2 games on the same day, they had Georgia State and Savannah State playing 12 game schedules with 2 games on the same day. When Sam Houston beat New Mexico, they showed it as a New Mexico win for the first hour. I try to get it out as soon as I can after all the teams have finished since that's when the polls open and people can use it to help remember who did what, but the flip-side of trying to get it out right away is that ESPN isn't nearly as worried about the FCS scores and standings right away. Thanks for pointing that one out.