PDA

View Full Version : Towson

Gringer1
October 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM
When I submitted my poll a few weeks ago, it got rejected by the poll committee because they said I had Towson ranked too highly in the teens. At 4-1 with a win over Richmond and their only loss being against Maryland, how good do you think the Tigers are this year?

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
pretty good, but Richmond does not appear to be good this year

UIWWildthing
October 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I still don't know. I'm in shock, I mean I thought they would be better than the last few years (3 wins) but 4-1, knocking off two ranked teams in the process, and getting ranked themselves?

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
LADS....DUH SPIDERS PUSHED TOWSON...TA DUH LIMIT!

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
4-1 is 4-1.

ODUsmitty
October 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Give them a great rank..they have earned it.

However, they will be 4-2 at this same time next week.

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2011, 09:34 PM

16176.....JES'...LIFE IN OURAH CONFERENCE.........xnodx...BRAWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
When I submitted my poll a few weeks ago, it got rejected by the poll committee because they said I had Towson ranked too highly in the teens. At 4-1 with a win over Richmond and their only loss being against Maryland, how good do you think the Tigers are this year?

Gringer1, you know dang well that wasn't the reason. In fact you and I had pm's after the fact where I told you I thought you had solid reasoning and put good thought into what you were doing but it was because you had at least 4 and maybe 5 teams from the GWFC in the top 25.

You may have also had Towson in at 14 but I've not seen a single question raised by the poll committee on the rankings Towson has received.

On top of that if you had checked your email and replied to agspoll with your thought process BEFORE the vote had ended like you did after it had ended it would very likely have been accepted.

Don't twist the facts and make this appear as something other than it was.

TwoFeathers
October 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM

I'd say they will finish top-15 team.

PantherRob82
October 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'd have a hard time with someone placing them above 15. This was their best win yet.

JMUNJ08
October 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM

2 barn burners with UNH and Towson with a flat showing against JMU at homecoming in the new digs. I am not writing them off yet but they have to start turning out some W's...have them and Southern Utah as the best .500 teams in the country and still reflecting that...

ElonFirefighter
October 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM
im mad too. they didnt accept my vote last week either. no matter i didn't submit because i was at the beach getting engaged, you should of known how i wanted to vote. ;)

VBR_Productions
October 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Richmond moved the ball all night and didn't punt once. They got inside the TU 30 on their first drive but fumbled. They also had third and goal at the Towson 1 but the RB was pushed back five yards to settle for a field goal. There was also missed a field goal early in the second quarter. They had their chances.

That said, Towson's running game is phenomenal. The line can open up holes and their backs simply move the pile forward seemingly every time they're hit. Grant Enders made only one bad throw tonight (a Spider dropped an INT late in the game) but he usually makes the right decisions with the ball.

This team is legitimate, and Richmond made them earn everything they got tonight.

T-Dog
October 9th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I voted Towson higher than Montana this week. xscanx

Is that a slight breeze I feel from hell? xchinscratchx

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM

I had my poll rejected as well, so I quit.

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM
2 barn burners with UNH and Towson with a flat showing against JMU at homecoming in the new digs. I am not writing them off yet but they have to start turning out some W's...have them and Southern Utah as the best .500 teams in the country and still reflecting that...

You gotta be kidding SUU is a flukey pos. They were beat by ALL 3 dakota's on their schedule. The 3 bad dakotas. SUU isnt even in my top 40 anymore.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM

You had EWU in af the 0-4 and were pm'd about it to see what the reasoning was. You could have replied with a deserving team and it would have been accepted or even defended why they were in there and it would have went through.

You were one of the very, very few that still had EWU on your week 4 ballot so a simple line of communication was opened up to say "are you sure about this one?"

If your feelings get hurt by being asked to take a look at something like that then I guess there is not a thing we can do about it and I am sorry to lose ya over something silly but not much we can do I guess.

Gringer1
October 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM

I encourage you to continue voting. The AGS poll has been one of the most accurate polls around and it may become a more prominent poll on the national scale if we can keep it going strong. That is one of the things that makes this poll so great: it is composed of many fans who watch many different games and have many different thoughts. Collectively, we put more thought and effort into the AGS poll than any other poll out there. Keep voting because we need your input. xthumbsupx

van
October 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I encourage you to continue voting. The AGS poll has been one of the most accurate polls around and it may become a more prominent poll on the national scale if we can keep it going strong. That is one of the things that makes this poll so great: it is composed of many fans who watch many different games and have many different thoughts. Collectively, we put more thought and effort into the AGS poll than any other poll out there. Keep voting because we need your input. xthumbsupx

Sorry, can't agree with this. It would be a great poll if some people would stop voting with emotion or homer-ism. Probably just a minority doing this, but it really hurts legitimacy. A great poll needs voters that are all truly objective.

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM
On of the reasons that the AGS poll is one of the best, is because people look at it and ask questions.xnodx

heath
October 9th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I voted Towson higher than Montana this week. xscanx

Is that a slight breeze I feel from hell? xchinscratchx

You will be rejected this weekxrolleyesx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry, can't agree with this. It would be a great poll if some people would stop voting with emotion or homer-ism. Probably just a minority doing this, but it really hurts legitimacy. A great poll needs voters that are all truly objective.

It's possible that you didn't see the thread last week that showed that there is no discernable difference between the conferences when it comes to voting.

What you say has very little merit and one of the reasons we have a PC made up of people from the MEAC, SWAC, Big Sky, NEC, MVFC, CAA, Southland, & SoCon is to look at the individual votes and see if the vote has merit.

I'm not sure how you would even have the information that you base your statement on Van but it is not correct.

It is a work in progress and there are some things that slip through the cracks but the overall product with more than 100 voters each week is well vetted and maybe moreso than any other out there.

Feel free if you want to hold that stance but it only affects maybe 2-3% of the poll votes.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM

It's possible that you didn't see the thread last week that showed that there is no discernable difference between the conferences when it comes to voting.

What you say has very little merit and one of the reasons we have a PC made up of people from the MEAC, SWAC, Big Sky, NEC, MVFC, CAA, Southland, & SoCon is to look at the individual votes and see if the vote is legit.

I'm not sure how you would even have the information that you base your statement on Van but it is not correct.

It is a work in progress and there are some things that slip through the cracks but the overall product with more than 100 voters each week is well vetted and maybe moreso than any other out there.

Feel free if you want to hold that stance but it only affects maybe 2-3% of the poll votes.

heath
October 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM

What you say has very little merit and one of the reasons we have a PC made up of people from the MEAC, SWAC, Big Sky, NEC, MVFC, CAA, Southland, & SoCon is to look at the individual votes and see if the vote is legit.

If you reject or don't accept certain votes,then no wonder there is no difference in conference voting.Seems fixed. All voters results should be included every week..............unless it has a hanging chadxlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
If you reject or don't accept certain votes,then no wonder there is no difference in conference voting.Seems fixed. All voters results should be included every week..............unless it has a hanging chadxlolx

Sure, that's one way to do it. This is another. There are maybe four votes each week that are even questioned and some are due to duplicates, or the case of someone voting Georgia State at #1 when they very likely meant Georgia Southern. The voter is then simply asked if they want to correct.

If you want to make up "boogie monsters" that are not there then go ahead but I'll just clarify what we do and if you don't like it or believe it then that's OK with me.

Your comment above about a vote being rejected because Towson is ranked above Montana gives a fairly clear picture of where you are going with what you think the Poll Committee does here. If you have a legitimate instance or problem where we have erred then I will certainly apologize for it but you are throwing out something without basis there.

darell1976
October 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM
If it make you feel better..I have Towson moving up in the polls.xthumbsupx

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Voting with emotion is what helps make human derived polls better than computer rankings like Sagarin. A computer doesn't see the glimmers of brilliance from a team that plays a stronger foe hard, but ultimately loses, or notice the effects of confidence from a win against a rival that might help propel a team forward. Similarly, homerism itself can have some benefits. Fans of a team know the ins and outs of that team better than fans of others. Seeing the potential in your team to beat others with stronger records isn't a bad thing, and it helps keep the poll from just being a list of records combined with GPI.

I'm not saying that emotion should run rampant, or that just because you support Valpo that you should put them in the top 10, but everyone gives the benefit of the doubt to their own team some, and since the poll is made up of voters from many teams and all of the conferences it all evens out. If everyone voted the same way the poll would be unnecessary.

JmuSkinsfan
October 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Here is how I rank the CAA now:

(1) UNH
(2) Maine
(3) Towson
(4) JMU
(5) Delaware
(6) ODU
(7) Richmond
(8) Umass
(9) WM
(10) Nova
(11) URI

GATA
October 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
How the **** does a poll get rejected? You might as well blow up this bogus *** poll if you're not gonna accept the opinions of your ****ing voters. Where the **** is the integrity in this ****ing thing? You might as well just have the goddamn moderators put up their own poll if they're gonna pull this bull****.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Here is how I rank the CAA now:

(1) UNH
(2) Maine
(3) Towson
(4) JMU
(5) Delaware
(6) ODU
(7) Richmond
(8) Umass
(9) WM
(10) Nova
(11) URI

I'd say -

1. Maine
2. JMU
3t. UNH
3t. Delaware
5. Towson
6. ODU
7. UMass
8. W&M
9. Richmond
10. URI
11. 'Nova

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
How the **** does a poll get rejected? You might as well blow up this bogus *** poll if you're not gonna accept the opinions of your ****ing voters. Where the **** is the integrity in this ****ing thing? You might as well just have the goddamn moderators put up their own poll if they're gonna pull this bull****.
Got it.

We'll accept that #1 vote for Georgia State then.xthumbsupx

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ursus you are a saint.

crusader11
October 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Got it.

Haha. That win over Clark was real impressive though!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Haha. That win over Clark was real impressive though!

No doubt. Does anyone find it odd though that a couple of the guys with problems with the poll have no idea what they are talking about since they are not involved in the process like most of you voters are?

Seems kinda wierd.xlolx

Gringer pm'd me and told me that I misunderstood his first post and that he thinks the poll is great and wasn't *****ing about that but was just trying to get some discussion on one of the teams (Towson) that has had a rough go of it.

I warned him that there would be a few that would latch on to this as something they could make a stand on if they misunderstood as I had though.

Was I right Gringer?:D

heath
October 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Got it.

Wrong answer.............If you feel that way then just don't allow AGS voters the chance to vote until week 6.Lame reasoning and poll if not everyone is counted.xnonox Too many talking heads that know it all. Hell,EWU preseason #1,hows that working out?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Wrong answer.............If you feel that way then just don't allow AGS voters the chance to vote until week 6.Lame reasoning and poll if not everyone is counted.xnonox Too many talking heads that know it all. Hell,EWU preseason #1,hows that working out?

Aww heath, if it's all the same to you we'll do it our way. You shake your "no-no" finger while professing to rail against know it alls. Good stuff little buddy.

You must be severely superior to those that voted EWU #1 and any poll that you decide to run will be infinitely better than the one these voters put out...so how is that working out for you?

heath
October 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Aww heath, if it's all the same to you we'll do it our way. You shake your "no-no" finger while professing to rail against know it alls. Good stuff little buddy.

You must be severely superior to those that voted EWU #1 and any poll that you decide to run will be infinitely better than the one these voters put out...so how is that working out for you?

Truth hurts uranus acts horrible? Need some french cries and a double WAA burger?Get real your highnessxbowx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Truth hurts uranus acts horrible? Need some french cries and a double WAA burger?Get real your highnessxbowx

Recycling stuff from other threads? At least you understand the pecking order. Your use of the name there seems to be a bit of an overly emotional response to a discussion about something you don't have anything to with though?

I'm sure you are a delightful boy in spite of that.xthumbsupx

wr70beh
October 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'd say -

1. Maine
2. JMU
3t. UNH
3t. Delaware
5. Towson
6. ODU
7. UMass
8. W&M
9. Richmond
10. URI
11. 'Nova

I would toss UMass out of the poll. The CAA doesn't count them, so I don't, either. They're just another OOC team to me from here on out.

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Then name a better one! I am really curious to what you can come up with....xcoffeex

All polls will have some bias in them but the key is to have enough people with different bias' and conference affiliations to make to come out in the wash (which the AGS has done quite well this year I feel xbowxxbowx)

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
You gotta be kidding SUU is a flukey pos. They were beat by ALL 3 dakota's on their schedule. The 3 bad dakotas. SUU isnt even in my top 40 anymore.

Yes, with some good W's. I am really unsure overall about them but giving some props for good W's more than the L's. I want to vote the teams that beat them in there but sub-D1 games hurting UND and the lack of quality wins outside say, the top 30, keeps me scraping the barrel for someone to replace them.

I could provide more East Coast Bias if you wish and put W&M back in instead....

Dane96
October 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Let me the Brooklyn boy azzhole here. Hey, "GUY"...this poll has been around for much longer than you...and with all of its faults, it is pretty darn good. You come on here with all your chest thumping...and you have been around for less than a year.

Shut your pie hole...and accept the fact that there has always been a committee that questions some severe polls (like listing teams that have no Division 1 wins...or no wins at all...etc), and allowing the pollster to defend their poll. If there is a reasonable argument, it seems like the committee has always let that poll in. Further, you have people who "double book" their poll or make other mistakes on the drop down menu.

Now go get your shinebox and STFU.

TheRevSFA
October 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ursus..you are a saint...

Oh and sorry for not getting my vote in...some issues kept me from sitting down and doing it.