PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 7.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I was 3-1 for the games that ended today, pushing my record to 28-4. The Samford upset of Furman really jumped out at me. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Wofford (3 of 5) - Impressive win vs. The Citadel keeps them here.
2) Georgia Southern (3 of 6) - Dodged a bullet against Chattanooga.
3) Appalachian State (4 of 6) - Had time to heal.
4) Samford (5 of 6) - Shocked the SoCon world with their win today
5) Furman (4 of 6) - First CCU and now Samford?
6) Elon (4 of 5) - Bounced back with their win vs. WCU
7) The Citadel (5 of 6) - Loss to Wofford brought them down to earth.
8) Chattanooga (5 of 5) - Once figured to be a player in the SoCon, they are now on life support.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - Now if they can work on that defense.

Predictions:
Virginia-Wise @ Wofford - No-brainer of the week
Appalachian State @ The Citadel - ASU would not lose on the road again this week, would they?
Elon @ Samford - Elon has been underwhelming so far.
Furman @ Georgia Southern - Eagles remain undefeated.
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga - Mocs win this one as they have no more room to maneuver.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Winners this week:
Wofford-we'll see the backups towards the end of the 2nd
Appalachian-will want blood
Samford-Elon can throw it all over the place, but they won't score enough
GSU-look for a very physical game
Chatty-poor western

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Wofford
GSU
App*
Chattanooga*
Samford*
Furman*
Elon*
Citadel*
Western

*too close to call

GATA
October 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Wofford
GSU
App*
Chattanooga*
Samford*
Furman*
Elon*
Citadel*
Western

*too close to call

COME ON...the entire league is "too close to call!?"

1. GSU
2. Wofford
3. App
4. Chatty
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. Citadel
9. Western

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Chatty at #8? Sammy at 4?

1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. App. State
4. Chatty
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. Western

SCPALADIN
October 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM

1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. App. State
4. Chatty
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. Western

Out of curiosity, why would you rank Furman above Samford after today?

apaladin
October 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Furman went from wannabe contender to pretender with the unexplainable loss today.
1. Woffy
2. GSU
3. Chatty(The best 0-3 team in SoCon history?)
4. ASU
5. Sam
6. FU
7. Elon
8. Cit
9. WCU
FWIW, next week: GSU 42, FU 17

walliver
October 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
1) Wofford (I'm biased)
2) GSU - they really haven't played a strong team yet
...big gap here...
3) ASU - >50% chance of playoffs. This is not a bad team
4) Samford - could easily finish 5-3 in SoCon, but probably need to beat ASU to make playoffs.
5) Chattanooga - good talent, but there is something missing with this team.
6) Furman - Rome wasn't built in a day
7) Citadel - may cause problems for many teams, but still a year or two away
8) Elon - new coach, new QB. 2011 will be a long year
9) Western Carolina - somebody has to be last

Playoff prediction: WoCo and GSU. ASU probable, Sammy possible, Chatty not ruled out but unlikely.
I think the SoCon gets 3

Eagle22
October 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern
3. App
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Chatt
7. Elon
8. Citadel
9. Western

Haven't read up on what happened in Greenville, but based on what I saw from Samford when we played them in the opener, I can't say I'm surprised they won vs. the Paladins. Chattanooga has had a hard luck run the last few weeks ... reminds me of us in 2008 when we lost 3 of our 5 losses that season by a total of four points, over a four game stretch

At this point, if Chattanooga plays the mobile Robinson the rest of the way out, I think they have a shot at winning a few of their games, but they have their tougher two games (Wofford/Furman) at home with WCU and Elon on the road. Tough to see them winning out ....

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 10:10 PM
1.Terriers
2. App/GSU
3. Samford
4. Mocs
5. Furman
6. Elon
7. Citadel
8. Western

I'm waiting on the App/GSU game. Could go either way. I also like Samford tobeat Chattanooga.

asumike83
October 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. Appalachian
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. The Citadel
9. Western

seantaylor
October 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
It is funny how every week some Socon team says GSU hasn't played a strong team. We did not play well today, but we really coasted. The talent difference between the two teams was massive. Need to get McKinnon healthy.

Biff
October 9th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I just don't get the Chatty bias. Looks like everyone is giving them moral victories for three straight games losing all by 1 or 2 pts. However, they are 0-3. There should be no playoff talk, no power ranking higher than 7th, nothing until they can win.

I don't know what to do with App, Furman, Samford, and Elon. I feel App is not as high as 3 though, but they will likely change my mind this weekend.

Wofford is no doubt number one. They looked good, well coached, and dominated us on the lines. This is the first TO team we've seen. If this is any sign of what's come with GSU, we will get whipped by them as well. Both Furman and Wofford have the formula for us though, find a good running back and run it up the middle.

Eaglesrus
October 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I just don't get the Chatty bias. Looks like everyone is giving them moral victories for three straight games losing all by 1 or 2 pts. However, they are 0-3. There should be no playoff talk, no power ranking higher than 7th, nothing until they can win.

I don't know what to do with App, Furman, Samford, and Elon. I feel App is not as high as 3 though, but they will likely change my mind this weekend.

Wofford is no doubt number one. They looked good, well coached, and dominated us on the lines. This is the first TO team we've seen. If this is any sign of what's come with GSU, we will get whipped by them as well. Both Furman and Wofford have the formula for us though, find a good running back and run it up the middle.

Our B-back/fullback ran for 169 net yards on 18 carries yesterday, so if what you say is true, that would seem to be a good omen for us when the time comes. Got a few other games to worry about before we get there, however.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Woffy looks good, but GSU will defense them better than anyone and vice versa. On November 12, GSU will travel to Gibbs Stadium aka Paulson North and there will be a battle. Now for the facts:

After 6 weeks
GSU 4-0; (5-0)
Woffy 3-0; (4-1)
Elon 2-1; (4-2)
Furman 2-1; (3-2)
App 1-1; (3-2)
Samford 1-2; (3-2)
Citadel 1-3; (2-3)
Chatty 0-3; (2-4)
Western 0-3; (1-4)

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wofford
GSU
App*
Chattanooga*
Samford*
Furman*
Elon*
Citadel*
Western

*too close to call

That is my order as well.

Predictions:
Virginia-Wise @ Wofford -
Appalachian State @ The Citadel -
Elon @ Samford -
Furman @ Georgia Southern -:(
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga -

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Your game was a fluke:D

I am trying to make sure you hate us again:D

GATA
October 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
It is funny how every week some Socon team says GSU hasn't played a strong team. We did not play well today, but we really coasted. The talent difference between the two teams was massive. Need to get McKinnon healthy.

No it wasn't.

The talent difference between GSU and Bama is MASSIVE. We were slightly faster than Chatty. That's about it.

walliver
October 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It is funny how every week some Socon team says GSU hasn't played a strong team.

The best team GSU has played this year is Samford.
Tusculum is D2, Elon is down, Western is Western, Chatty is 0-3 in the SoCon.

Which of these games do you brag about?

I'm not claiming GSU isn't a great team. It's just that we have no real measure of how good.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Woffy looks good, but GSU will defense them better than anyone and vice versa. On November 12, GSU will travel to Gibbs Stadium aka Paulson North and there will be a battle. Now for the facts:

After 6 weeks
GSU 4-0; (5-0)
Woffy 3-0; (4-1)
Elon 2-1; (4-2)
Furman 2-1; (3-2)
App 1-1; (3-2)
Samford 1-2; (3-2)
Citadel 1-3; (2-3)
Chatty 0-3; (2-4)
Western 0-3; (1-4)

Pack a lunch.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
We will get to settle it on the field Nov.12 provided neither of us stumble before then. The reality is if GSU and Wofford are about equal who do you think the NCAA will give the edge to in homefield advantage in the playoffs (provided our AD gets a bid in on time)

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
We will get to settle it on the field Nov.12 provided neither of us stumble before then. The reality is if GSU and Wofford are about equal who do you think the NCAA will give the edge to in homefield advantage in the playoffs (provided our AD gets a bid in on time)

GSU hands down.

GSU Eagle
October 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
My power rankings right now would be:
1A. Georgia SOuthern 1B. Wofford
3. Appalachian St.
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Citadel
9. Western Carolina

Skjellyfetti
October 9th, 2011, 12:00 PM
1. Wofford
2. Georgia Southern
3. Appalachian St.
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Biff
October 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I am trying to make sure you hate us again:D

My level of hate varies, but don't mistake it for anything other than hate.

Go Apps
October 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM
1 Wofford
2 GSU
3 ASU
4 UTC
5 Samford
6 Furman
7 Elon
8 Citadel
9 Western

Winners This week
GSU
ASU
Wofford
UTC

asumike83
October 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Coasted? You won by one point after being tied with 9:00 in the 4th, out-gained them by 60 yards and won the time of possession by 1:54. A W is a W, but I wouldn't call that coasting.

seantaylor
October 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
No it wasn't.

The talent difference between GSU and Bama is MASSIVE. We were slightly faster than Chatty. That's about it.

Ah, yes. The guy that said GSU and Savannah State were on par last year. Murray State would have more wins than GSU.

Horseshoe App
October 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Ah, yes. The guy that said GSU and Savannah State were on par last year. Murray State would have more wins than GSU.

I guess you two should meet in the middle. You are the biggest Georgia Southern homer on here and he might be a bit pessimistic. Your team is very good, but maybe not as godly as you think. Heck, I could say that ASU has much better athletes than Wofford and a lot of people on here would agree, but Wofford was definitely the better team when they played us. I have a feeling if Georgia Southern plays like they did against UTC when they play Wofford, they will lose as well. Not always having the better athletes leads to wins.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I guess you two should meet in the middle. You are the biggest Georgia Southern homer on here and he might be a bit pessimistic. Your team is very good, but maybe not as godly as you think. Heck, I could say that ASU has much better athletes than Wofford and a lot of people on here would agree, but Wofford was definitely the better team when they played us. I have a feeling if Georgia Southern plays like they did against UTC when they play Wofford, they will lose as well. Not always having the better athletes leads to wins.
This is kind of off topic, but I think the difference between this years' Wofford team and that of years' past is that we do have better athletes than we have in the past.

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
This is kind of off topic, but I think the difference between this years' Wofford team and that of years' past is that we do have better athletes than we have in the past.

How far back are you talking?

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM
How far back are you talking?

I'd say defensively we're a lot more athletic since about 2007 or 2008ish at skill positions and linebacker, but that's just my opinion

Terrierforlife
October 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'd say defensively we're a lot more athletic since about 2007 or 2008ish at skill positions and linebacker, but that's just my opinion

Agreed.

WOCO
October 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'd go a little further than that. Our defense can fly around the field. Hell we have linebackers that are 45 foot tripple jumpers. We have athletes all over the defensive side of the ball. Is there anyone that has played us that thinks differently?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 10th, 2011, 08:14 AM
So let me see if I have this straight...Samford loses to GSU by 14 at home and by 15 to Wofford on the road and they are a top 4. UTC loses by a combined total of 3 points at two of the toughest places to play in the FCS, and they belong in the cellar? I think people are allowing one moron who probably won't be heard from again bias themselves against Chatty. I'll still take UTC to finish with a better SoCon record than Samford.

asumike83
October 10th, 2011, 08:17 AM
So let me see if I have this straight...Samford loses to GSU by 14 at home and by 15 to Wofford on the road and they are a top 4. UTC loses by a combined total of 3 points at two of the toughest places to play in the FCS, and they belong in the cellar? I think people are allowing one moron who probably won't be heard from again bias themselves against Chatty. I'll still take UTC to finish with a better SoCon record than Samford.

The GSU and App losses weren't so bad to me. I have them ranked below Samford because they blew a 27-point lead at home to The Citadel and Samford just got a road win in Greenville.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Samford has it in them to beat Chatty and App, will they? I don't know, but right now they are at least top 4 or 5

Biff
October 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM

With this reasoning ... Samford beat Furman by 5 and lost to Wofford by 16. The Citadel lost to Wofford by 29 (and could have been worse) and lost to Furman by 10. The Citadel beat Chatty by 1.

They are 0-3 and with 4 points, they are 3-0. My thought is that in 3 games they were in position to win and couldn't close the deal (up by 27 in the third and lose). They may close out the season very well, but you have to look at what Chatty has done, not what you think they can or will do.

SpeedkingATL
October 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I finally got a hunch right and predicted the Sammy win over Furman last week. Sammy, Citdogs and Elon are just too good not to win a couple against favored SoCon teams. My ranking this week:

1) Wofford -Class of the SoCon so far and Clemson loss keeps looking better and better.
2) Georgia Southern -Hard to believe the Mocs o-line could block GaSo on rushing plays. Still undefeated.
3) Appalachian State -Hope they got some things on offense figured out during off week.
4) Samford - Who knows. Losses to top teams and big win over Furple.
5) Furman - Took a big step backwards against Sammy.
6) Elon - Struggled to beat WCU.
7) The Citadel - Still a year away but a dangerous team.
8) Chattanooga -Snake biten, just can't make the one play required to win a big game. Maybe next year as they are pretty young.
9) Western Carolina -Cats continue to improve. Their offense is much improved...but the defense is still pretty bad.

Predictions:
Virginia-Wise @ Wofford - Ankle biters win big. Lots of playing time for the backups.
Appalachian State @ The Citadel - Citdogs always play Apps tough in Charleston. Apps should win because Citdogs simply can't throw the ball and Apps can stack against the run. Question is can App get their offense untracked against a pretty good defense.
Elon @ Samford - Sammy should win at home coming off a big win against Furple.
Furman @ Georgia Southern - Eagles got a little humble pie against UTC but survived and need to get their QB's healthy. Eagles win at home.
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga - UTC finally wins a SoCon game.

biggie
October 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'll go ditto on that^.

Though App stacked against the run vs Woff as well, but I hope the O can get a fix in place, and I believe El Cit has lower athletes in the TO vs Woff.

blueballs
October 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The best team GSU has played this year is Samford.
Tusculum is D2, Elon is down, Western is Western, Chatty is 0-3 in the SoCon.

Which of these games do you brag about?

I'm not claiming GSU isn't a great team. It's just that we have no real measure of how good.

Having seen both Chatty and Samford I have no doubt Chatty is stronger. Chatty is real close to being really really good.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM

Given that Chattanooga has three SoCon losses and that Samford knocked off Furman and was competitive against GSU and Wofford, that is how I justify my rankings. Chattanooga has a way to go (actually one, up) and it begins Saturday when WCU rolls into town.

chattownmocs
October 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Well, since these are power rankings which are supposed to judge the overall power of a team and not simply W-L records, ranking Chattanooga 8 out of 9 is pretty moronic.

SU DOG
October 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Chatty's win over a still highly ranked JSU Team must also be considered a big plus for the Mocs. I just have NO idea how The Citadel could have made that comeback and beat them. At any rate, that issue(team's strength), will be settled at Seibert Stadium in a few weeks. As for Samford, the players are finally getting the kinks worked out of a new offense, and I can really see improvement weekly. The passing game is better and the running game is beginning to be established. I am guardedly optimistic for a nice finish to this SoCon season.

CropDuster
October 10th, 2011, 08:56 PM

1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. App. State
4. Chatty
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. Western

I'd go with this, but swap SU and FU. Elon and Western didn't show much of anything. I'm glad we got SU out the way before they got their offense worked out.

FurmanWins!!
October 10th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Football Gameplan's AGS Game of the Week - Furman vs Georgia Southern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr1oi0HHKgE

Go Apps
October 11th, 2011, 05:15 AM
1. Wofford - more difficult schedule to date
2. GSU - dodged a bullet this past weekend
3. ASU - hard to figure this team out - things will get much clearer this week
4. Chatty - in a real mess the Citadel loss just killed them
5. Samford - rising fast
6. Furman - has yet to face the thick of the Socon gets its chance on Saturday