PDA

View Full Version : Samford - Did we make a Statement Today?

SU DOG
October 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM
A BIG win for the Dogs over Furman at Furman. No, one game does not mean everything, but I would make some adjustments on the SoCon power rankings, if I was penciling in the standings. xnodx

Terrierforlife
October 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Maybe, but it's top 3 or nothing in the SOCON. You guys are well coached on D. Great win!

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Samford is a good team, no doubt. They are going to make some noise this year

Jiggs
October 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I think we turned a corner today. Great win for the Dogs!

walliver
October 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Samford's two losses are against Top 5 teams, and they may well make the playoffs.

On the other hand, beating a rebuilding Furman team does not a "statement" make.

tractorapp
October 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I think we turned a corner today. Great win for the Dogs!

Always big to pick up a win in Greenville. Nice job Bulldogs. Should be a good one in Boone in a couple weeks. Can't wait to hear the details.

LarryBoy
October 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I tip my hat to the Bulldogs. I was scared of this game, and it turns out I had plenty reason to.

The story of the game: rushing (Samford did, Furman didn't) and taking advantage of opportunities (Samford did, Furman didn't). I have no idea how in the world we weren't able to run the football better than we did, but whatever you guys did on defense, it worked. We left so many points on the field today. Maddening. But that's typically how you lose football games.

I have a feeling Furman fans will try to put this loss on Forcier's shoulders, but that's incredibly unfair. The first 2 INTs came on tipped passes (one was literally in the receivers hands before he let it go), and he put up 350+ yards in the air and got us back into the game. However, I'm not sure if it was the play call, or Chris pressing the issue, but I have no idea why we were throwing 30 yards downfield with 2:00 left and the short and mid-range passing game still wide open. If keeps everything 10-15 yards out at that point, I think we win. Too bad.

Again, great job Sammie. I think you'll finish this season as a solid #4 in SoCon.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Furman has some question marks this year it would seem. They went away from their bread and butter in the run game and it cost them, it seems they were forced to be one dimensional and that won't cut it the next 2 weeks.

SU DOG
October 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I tip my hat to the Bulldogs. I was scared of this game, and it turns out I had plenty reason to.

The story of the game: rushing (Samford did, Furman didn't) and taking advantage of opportunities (Samford did, Furman didn't). I have no idea how in the world we weren't able to run the football better than we did, but whatever you guys did on defense, it worked. We left so many points on the field today. Maddening. But that's typically how you lose football games.

I have a feeling Furman fans will try to put this loss on Forcier's shoulders, but that's incredibly unfair. The first 2 INTs came on tipped passes (one was literally in the receivers hands before he let it go), and he put up 350+ yards in the air and got us back into the game. However, I'm not sure if it was the play call, or Chris pressing the issue, but I have no idea why we were throwing 30 yards downfield with 2:00 left and the short and mid-range passing game still wide open. If keeps everything 10-15 yards out at that point, I think we win. Too bad.

Again, great job Sammie. I think you'll finish this season as a solid #4 in SoCon.

Classy Post - THANK YOU

OL FU
October 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I too was worried. Since Samford's entrance in the SoCon the games have been close and we have yanked wins out of the air (except for last year I guess). I don't think you can blame Forcier. Samford shut down the run and we need to run. And like you said, we didn't capitalize on their mistakes. Two picks in the first half led to nothing. Two missed Field goals. and then a clip on a player that wasn't close to tackling the return guy on the punt return touchdown.

Regardless, other than the first 8 mintues of the 3rd quarter and the last part of the fourth quarter Samford's defense won that game. I take some comfort in the explosive possibilities of our offense since we were still in the game at the end, but really only played well offensively those few minutes mentioned above.

Any way, best of luck to Samford. I will be rooting for you. Small schools got to stick together.xsmiley_wix

Purple Knight
October 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Not a single option or sweep. It appeared that Tim Sorrells (OC from last year) called the plays on this one. Appears we were beat by a better team in the trenches.

AndrewFU21
October 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Congrats to Samford- you guys looked good yesterday. As for FU, it could be a long year...