PDA

View Full Version : Big East may come calling to FCS teams....

eagle07
October 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
With TCU recently getting the nod from the big12 and expected to accept this will be yet another blow to the already floundering big east. The big east is most likely going to lose their BCS AQ before to long and no amount of additions from CUSA or other lesser conferences will get that back. Is the Big East going to look to some FCS schools just to stay afloat as a conference? My question is, if the Big East loses its BCS AQ will teams really want to leave CUSA to go to a possibly lesser watered down Big East conference thus making the Big East look to the FCS?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Villanova, you mean? IMVHO their chances of moving to Big East football went up immensely with the end of the TCU deal.

eagle07
October 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yea, Def villanova, but others as well especially if the Big East continues lose teams and loses that BCS AQ which I am certain they will the door may be open to others as well, CUSA i think is putting a better product on the field if the big east loses West Virginia, so i dont see any of them jumping ship if thats the case, maybe some sunbelt teams would jump but I dunno, whats the point if your not going to an AQ conference which Big East wont be much longer

HailSzczur
October 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I think the BE is dead as a football conference. Without TCU as a superpower in the conference, its really only a matter of time until Uconn and Rutgers jump ship to the ACC, WVU to the SEC, and Cincinnati, Louisville, and USF are left scrambling. I think this hurts our chances of moving up, simply because at this rate odds are pretty good that the BE will no longer exist as football conference and maybe even as an all sports conference.

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think this hurts our chances of moving up, simply because at this rate odds are pretty good that the BE will no longer exist as football conference and maybe even as an all sports conference.

1. Add Temple, UMass, Villanova, ECU, UCF and Marshall.

2. Next, find the Hoyas a home in football, since the Leh/Laf fans seem to want us out now. Obviously, the BE isn't interested.

superman7515
October 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm sure the CAA would love to have Villanova and Georgetown as all-sports members. Georgetown's football struggles aside, it would certainly be a good move for the CAA in all other sports. Not sure if Georgetown would be able to remain as a football only in the Patriot League or not, but I wouldn't think that would be as big of a stumbling block as what Charlotte went through since Georgetown would be looking for a permanent home for all sports but football whereas Charlotte was looking for a temporary spot for only one sport.

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
If Georgetown was allowed to recruit like, oh, 100 other I-AA schools, the "struggles" you refer to wouldn't be that insurmountable.

superman7515
October 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I never said they were insurmountable, simply that there is an obvious disparity between what the administration at Georgetown perceives as appropriate and what the average Colonial football program feels as appropriate. I'm in no position to tell Georgetown how to run their house, the fans/alumni have spoken and the emphasis is on basketball, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's how they want it. But MSF makes Cowell look above average, and even the UNH fans would tell you that's not a good thing.

aceinthehole
October 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure the CAA would love to have Villanova and Georgetown as all-sports members. Georgetown's football struggles aside, it would certainly be a good move for the CAA in all other sports. Not sure if Georgetown would be able to remain as a football only in the Patriot League or not, but I wouldn't think that would be as big of a stumbling block as what Charlotte went through since Georgetown would be looking for a permanent home for all sports but football whereas Charlotte was looking for a temporary spot for only one sport.

I'd would love to have a million dollars.

G-town and 'Nova are even considering the CAA for all sports. Playing in a basketball league with Drexel or William & Mary isn't happening. The Verzion Center would have 15,000+ empty seats.

dgtw
October 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think the Big East's football wing will die off through attrition. The remaning members will go to whoever will take them. Those that are left will remain as a decent basketball league. I doubt an FBS league would take Notre Dame as a non-football member, so they may stick around.

superman7515
October 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'd would love to have a million dollars.

G-town and 'Nova are even considering the CAA for all sports. Playing in a basketball league with Drexel or William & Mary isn't happening. The Verzion Center would have 15,000+ empty seats.

And once the basketball league is down to DePaul, Marquette, Providence, St. Johns, and Seton Hall they're going to have to expand to fit everybody inside?

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I never said they were insurmountable, simply that there is an obvious disparity between what the administration at Georgetown perceives as appropriate and what the average Colonial football program feels as appropriate. I'm in no position to tell Georgetown how to run their house, the fans/alumni have spoken and the emphasis is on basketball, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's how they want it. But MSF makes Cowell look above average, and even the UNH fans would tell you that's not a good thing.

What I was referring to was the artificial recruiting limits imposed by the PL that Georgetown cannot even recruit 85-90% of the talent pool nationally because they didn't score a 1280 or better on the SAT (out of 1600).

Why does the PL do it? Because the Ivy League does, and that's simply good enough for them.

dgtw
October 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Who is holding a gun to Georgetown's head and keeping them in the Patriot League?

Twentysix
October 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Und to the big east easy peasey

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Und to the big east easy peasey

I am surprised your Bison buddies especially the #1 Bison fan currently residing on CS hasn't said NDSU to the Big East. Since he suggested the Big 10, Big 12, MAC, WAC. I guess SEC wasn't an option. You guys are king of beating the BCS teams in Minnesota and Kansas, better get Gene Taylor on the phone.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Lehigh and Colgate in the Big East? xlolx

superman7515
October 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Lehigh and Colgate in the Big East? xlolx

I thought Holy Cross would use their Big East vote to veto them.

LakesBison
October 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
"You guys are king of beating the BCS teams in Minnesota and Kansas, better get Gene Taylor on the phone. "

Yes, we love to beat BCS teams, have fun with your naia teams this year, laughable.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Lol this guy doesnt like you darrel.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM
UMASS has a short-lived stay in the MAC and Temple is resurrected in the eyes of the BE Commish, for starters. Maybe the Blue Hens? 'Nova re-opens dialogue and maybe even "We are Marshall" from the psuedo-FBS Conf USA?

The Eagle's Cliff
October 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
The Big East will lose it's BCS status regardless of what teams join. The best hope for small market schools (and secondary schools in large markets) is a playoff league in what was the non-BCS FBS. This realignment will just increase the gap between BCS and everyone else.