PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Playoff $

EagleCrusade
April 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I read recently where the NCAA is going to give out $450,000 to the D-I football playoff participants.....shared between all 16 of them. IF only we could be so blessed.

I'm not for looking the gift horse in the mouth, but that only comes out to just $28,000+ per team. Well you got to play 4 games. They say they want to make this a 'bowl atmosphere'. Even the New Orleans Bowl pays out a bit more than that.

It is my opinion that the D-I playoffs are going to be HUGE in the next few years. Why? I see ESPN whoring us to show the big boys what they're missing, change the system, gain the rights and then cast us off to the side. I'm fine with that. We can still stick it to the Man (I-A)

I also know that the NCAA D-I basketball tournament brings in billions of dollars in revenue. Even as that is split from Michigan to Mount Union, there should still be enough to pay out a little more than $28,000.

If every team got $50,000 I think you would be able to see giant steps with the advancement of the college football playoff.

April 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Where did you hear that? Check the "4/27" thread for details...

EagleCrusade
April 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
The Division I budget will provide the 16 playoff teams with a total amount of approximately $450,000, which will give the schools an opportunity to promote the bowl-like atmosphere that Leech described and enhance the experience for everyone involved. The funds come from a $250,000 allocation of new money, and a reallocation of $200,000 from the Division I-AA budget.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Husky Alum
April 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
They say they want to make this a 'bowl atmosphere'. Even the New Orleans Bowl pays out a bit more than that.

Unless a BCS eligible school goes to a bowl that pays $1.0 million, it's likely they lose money for competing in that bowl. Given the fact that schools that go to a bowl are required to buy a minimum number of tickets (I think it's like 15-20K), and the team has to fly there, and bring the band, cheerleaders, hangers on, etc. it's not really a profitable situation - unless you have a fan base that travels very well and will buy the tickets from the school.

The BC athletic director was on the radio in Boston here this fall when BC was rumored to be playing in Boise, and he said time and time again "we lose money in playing in Boise" and was campaigning for BC to play in the Tire Bowl in Charlotte so the costs would be less.

Now, I think the NCAA reimburses schools for up to certain levels for competing in NCAA championships, so the money a school gets for making the football championships has fewer "costs" to be offset than a North Texas making the New Orleans bowl.

April 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I read recently where the NCAA is going to give out $450,000 to the D-I football playoff participants......Yep, like I posted two weeks ago (and we've been talking about for two months on I-AA WAVES) this money is primarily to increase the school's travel party by 30.

EagleCrusade
April 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yep, like I posted two weeks ago (and we've been talking about for two months on I-AA WAVES) this money is primarily to increase the school's travel party by 30.

Yippee. What about marketing the playoffs better?

April 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM
it's a'coming!!