PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Presley Injury Update

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/ASU_Sports/story/Injured-shoulder-keeps-Presley-out-of-practice-id-006153

Article states that Presley will not practice all week and Jamal Jackson will run the 1st team offense. I doubt that Jamal will get the start against The Citadel in 2 weeks but given the offensive struggles so far this season, a strong enough showing in practice could make things interesting.

cannonballgsu
October 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
At least he has a bye week to heal up. Hate to see any player miss any games in their Senior year.

Apphole
October 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Jamal will start against Citadel.

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Due to injury or ...?

GlassOnion
October 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM

Thats what the puzzle pieces seem to say. Moore said that Sunday will be the day.

theasushow
October 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Due to injury or ...?

due to DP not being DP this year. I'm not really sure what happened to be honest. He looked great last season in the pocket, threw the ball well, had sound decision making, and was an overall awesome QB. (payton finalist). This year he has looked out of wack, uncomftorable in the pocket, off target with his throws, and afraid to take a hit. Maybe he doesn't trust his new Offensive line? whatever it is, he needs to figure it out fast.

Smitty
October 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Dang couldn't have happened later like when WCU plays app?

GlassOnion
October 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM

DPs first start was against Western, and he didnt have a problem.

Apphole
October 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Ha. Don't get too excited. We could beat the can'tamounts by 3 TD's with Stephen Hawking at QB

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I would love to see what Jamal Jackson can do for a full game with a week to prepare knowing he is the starter. He does not bring the same type of speed to the table but he may be a better pocket passer from the little we have seen. Plus, being 6-3 as opposed to 5-10 should limit the amount of passes batted down at the line. In any event, we have some work to do on the offensive line for us to allow any QB to be successful.

biggie
October 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I would love to see what Jamal Jackson can do for a full game with a week to prepare knowing he is the starter. He does not bring the same type of speed to the table but he may be a better pocket passer from the little we have seen. Plus, being 6-3 as opposed to 5-10 should limit the amount of passes batted down at the line. In any event, we have some work to do on the offensive line for us to allow any QB to be successful.
Issue with JJ not having as much speed is the OL, right now we can't hold a pocket. Which is the main issue with the passing game.

DP will be starting if he's healthy. We just won't know that until middle of next week probably.

URMite
October 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ha. Don't get too excited. We could beat the can'tamounts by 3 TD's with Stephen Hawking at QB

Hah! A love that line...and just may steal it sometime...

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Issue with JJ not having as much speed is the OL, right now we can't hold a pocket. Which is the main issue with the passing game.

DP will be starting if he's healthy. We just won't know that until middle of next week probably.

I agree on both counts, the OL will have to step up regardless of who is taking the snaps. DP will (and probably should) start if he is healthy next weekend but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see how our offense would fare with a different look, whether that is starting JJ or giving him a few series to change up the pace. 2 offensive TD's in 2 conference games just won't cut it.

DP_ASU
October 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
JJ for QB...even though my initials are DP. Such a dilemma...

Apphole
October 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
ASUMike, are you gonna change your avatar?

Skjellyfetti
October 4th, 2011, 08:18 PM
For the "BENCH DEANDRE" folks:

How many 360+ yard passing games does Jamal Jackson have?
How many 250+ yard rushing games does Jamal Jackson have?

DeAndre has done BOTH in the PLAYOFFS. He's proven he can play quarterback at a very high level.

Our offensive problems right now are not on him. It's the offensive line. We're starting a walkon true freshman center, a true freshman at tackle protecting his blindside, and a former walkon at guard. DeAndre does not have time to check off receivers, let plays develop downfield, we can't get a run game going, etc. This is what offenses look like when you have a young offensive line.

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
ASUMike, are you gonna change your avatar?

I hadn't really thought about it, looks like Jerry isn't the only one with a tough decision on his hands! I'm leaving DP up there for now.

asumike83
October 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
For the "BENCH DEANDRE" folks:

How many 360+ yard passing games does Jamal Jackson have?
How many 250+ yard rushing games does Jamal Jackson have?

DeAndre has done BOTH in the PLAYOFFS. He's proven he can play quarterback at a very high level.

Our offensive problems right now are not on him. It's the offensive line. We're starting a walkon true freshman center, a true freshman at tackle protecting his blindside, and a former walkon at guard. DeAndre does not have time to check off receivers, let plays develop downfield, we can't get a run game going, etc. This is what offenses look like when you have a young offensive line.

Yes, the offensive line has a lot do with it. No question. I think DeAndre deserves the opportunity to right the ship but if the offense continues to sputter for another game or two, I think the coaches have to at least consider a change. 100% of the blame cannot just be placed on the O-line. Badly missing open receivers and keeping the ball when he should be pitching on the option can't be attributed to the offensive line. This offense requires a QB that can make big plays and he has to step up and do that. I love DeAndre and am absolutely rooting for him, he has proven that he is willing to put the team first on several occasions and the best case scenario is that he leads this offense back to where it needs to be.

However, if you look at every game ASU has played going back to the 5-game stretch to end last season, we have played 6 games against relatively even competition (GSU, Wofford '10, WIU, Nova, UTC and Wofford '11). The WIU game was really the only contest that DP turned in a great performance, as he was able to use his legs to run all over WIU in the snow. Yes, he did throw for 360 against Villanova but he had to throw the ball 52 times because we were behind. He had a bad game against GSU, managed the game and deferred to Devon Moore against Wofford, and struggled against both UTC and Wofford this year.

Overall, he had a great season last year and deserves a chance to continue running this offense. But, his numbers were aided by a soft early schedule last season and his play has been concerning dating back to the 2010 stretch run when the competition got tough, which has continued against good teams this season. He has earned the right to stay on top of the depth chart for now but he is not untouchable, or at least he shouldn't be in my opinion.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM
blessing in disguise???

AppAlum2003
October 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Yeah, but it'd take forever to get the play call in.

asumike83
October 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Who has ever said that ALL the blame should be attributed to the OL? I'm curious. But if anyone thinks that Deandre is the root of the problem needs to find another hobby besides college football.

I was responding directly to this:

Our offensive problems right now are not on him. It's the offensive line.

Yes, he did not say that ALL the blame should be the OL but suggested that poor play by DeAndre was not a factor in our struggles. I happen to disagree. Sue me.

I need a new hobby besides college football because I have a different opinion?

DP's stats for the first 7 games of last season: 1,526 yards, 14 TD, O INT
In the 11 games since: 1,866 yards, 11 TD, 11 INT

I stated more than once that he deserves a shot to right the ship but if our offense continues to struggle then I don't see how the coaches could not at least consider a change at QB. I am pulling for DP to get through this but the truth is, he has not been nearly as effective in the passing game since the first half of last season. Considering that 9 of those 14 TD's in the first half of 2010 came in blowout wins against Jacksonville and The Citadel, it is even more concerning. If you can't handle fans not sharing your opinion, maybe you need a new hobby.

Apphole
October 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
We talked about proportionally breaking down the blame for our offensive woes on Appfan yesterday. What do you guys think? I said 45% coaching, 30% O-line and 25% DP.

biggie
October 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
There are other factors I'm sure. The young WRs aren't helping anything so far. Quick and Jorden are getting all the attention from the D, the others should be able to get open.

asumike83
October 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Play calling, offensive line, young receivers and a struggling quarterback are all contributing to our inefficiency on offense. The guys better have one hell of a bye week before we head down to Charleston.

Skjellyfetti
October 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Let's just have a scrimmage this Saturday.

Presley gets the first quarter, Jamal Jackson gets the second quarter, Kalik Barnes gets the 3rd quarter, Cadet gets the 4th quarter.

Starting quarterback for the Citadel decided by fan text message vote.

HighCountry
October 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Yesterday's practice was the best one I have watched all season, and I've seen them all. High level of intensity from the players, O was making plays, D was actually making tackles, JJ looked great. If they continue this up until el cid we will be in much better shape.

StorminASU
October 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Yesterday's practice was the best one I have watched all season, and I've seen them all. High level of intensity from the players, O was making plays, D was actually making tackles, JJ looked great. If they continue this up until el cid we will be in much better shape.

I'll believe it when I see it in a game. I've heard from several all year that practices have been great (plus the weekly assurance they were great from Coach Moore) and have yet to see results on the field. Our team is unprepared weekly and hardly any noticeable adjustments are made throughout the game. This has been the constant for the past three years. I'm sick of having some of the best athletes in the FCS underutilized weekly. Ben Jorden could catch anything thrown his way for a first down, but is rarely thrown to. Quick has the ups to do a lot (I'm not praising him like others bc of my perception that he takes plays off and has some big historical drops), but is only used for certain games and even then for only certain plays it seems. We have a ton of speed, but run up the middle, or to the short side and the jet is so far in our history, we might as well start huddling again. Until these things are addressed, I have little confidence in the competence of our coaching staff. They continue to ram what they think down our throats instead of adjusting to the personnel they have. Don't even mention the disappearing playbook. If DP is hurt/not getting the job done, we should bench him, but I think we all know in the unlikely event he doesn't start at El Cid, he will be back next week for Samford regardless of how JJ looks. I'm not trying to hate on App because I love my school so much and am very proud of where we're at, but seeing the same thing over and over, when you're certain you can do better is painful to watch and even harder to accept.

Block-A
October 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
There are other factors I'm sure. The young WRs aren't helping anything so far. Quick and Jorden are getting all the attention from the D, the others should be able to get open.

I agree w/ this 100%. I think that Presley really misses Cline & Hillary, esp. Cline. He was always clutch & seemed to be able to make the tough catch for us.

GlassOnion
October 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I agree w/ this 100%. I think that Presley really misses Cline & Hillary, esp. Cline. He was always clutch & seemed to be able to make the tough catch for us.

The other recievers do get open, Presley just doesnt have time to find them, or when he does find them, he rifles off an 8' overthrow, or aims at their big toe, or throws behind them, or 5 yards in front of them, or to opposing players. With as few good looks as our QB is going to get, the throws need to be accurate. Last week he had Brian Quick wide open on the goal line straight in front of him, and checked down to Miller 2 yards down the sideline. The announcers called him out constantly for not finding open recievers and for not throwing to Brian Quick in single coverage. Opportunities exist, they are not being exploited.

Sorry, wrong quote, should be Biggie's.

asumike83
October 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The other recievers do get open, Presley just doesnt have time to find them, or when he does find them, he rifles off an 8' overthrow, or aims at their big toe, or throws behind them, or 5 yards in front of them, or to opposing players. With as few good looks as our QB is going to get, the throws need to be accurate. Last week he had Brian Quick wide open on the goal line straight in front of him, and checked down to Miller 2 yards down the sideline. The announcers called him out constantly for not finding open recievers and for not throwing to Brian Quick in single coverage. Opportunities exist, they are not being exploited.

The struggles of the offensive line to consistently hold a pocket certainly do not help, but I have to agree. Due to the experience of the line and receiving corps last season, DeAndre got a lot of opportunities to make plays down the field and had guys that could make big grabs for him.

This year, the chances are limited and the throws have to be more precise until the young guys get comfortable and start coming up with the difficult catches. For that reason, all of his mistakes are magnified. The offense can't continue to be productive despite some missed opportunities like it used to. The question is, could anybody else on the team do better? I have no idea but if we don't get better, the coaches may have to answer that question.

GlassOnion
October 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
The struggles of the offensive line to consistently hold a pocket certainly do not help, but I have to agree. Due to the experience of the line and receiving corps last season, DeAndre got a lot of opportunities to make plays down the field and had guys that could make big grabs for him.

This year, the chances are limited and the throws have to be more precise until the young guys get comfortable and start coming up with the difficult catches. For that reason, all of his mistakes are magnified. The offense can't continue to be productive despite some missed opportunities like it used to. The question is, could anybody else on the team do better? I have no idea but if we don't get better, the coaches may have to answer that question.

That is spot on. Cline snatched 90 mph bullets from Presley out of the air all season, high, low, behind, it didnt matter. Coco Hillary did not catch the hard ball very well, unless it was thrown in the right spot. Brian Quick did what only BQ could do. Ben Jordan catches about anything. But yes, They really made DP look like a superstar, and he was brimming with confidence. Now the confidence is gone, and he's all over the place, and these recievers really dont have much of a chance.

As for the other QBs, I really believe that a change up is needed. JJ, or KB, whichever. If JJ can hit the recievers accurately with the quick pass, it will open up the run game, open up the run game, and the downfield passing game will open up. KB just seems to be a playmaker. Both deserve a chance as much as Presley.

Mr. C
October 5th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Let's just have a scrimmage this Saturday.

Presley gets the first quarter, Jamal Jackson gets the second quarter, Kalik Barnes gets the 3rd quarter, Cadet gets the 4th quarter.

Starting quarterback for the Citadel decided by fan text message vote.

Barnes isn't close to being ready to play at this level. He has zero game experience and were he to be inserted into the lineup, teams would quickly put eight guys in the box and dare him to complete passes with any regularity. Barnes, though a terrific runner, has a lot of mechanical flaws he needs to work out as a passer. Jackson was one of the few players to show up at Virginia Tech, passing for one TD and hitting another big pass to set up his eventual TD run. Of course, he was going against second-unit players for Tech and didn't have the pressure on him that Presley did earlier. Still, I'd be willing to see what Jackson could do, particularly in a game against a team that ASU has dominated in recent years.

Mr. C
October 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
It is hard to believe that one of the top two receivers in all of FCS, Brian Quick, has been largely wasted this year. He is like 47th in the country in receiving at this point. It is the job of a coaching staff to put the ball into the hands of your top playmaker in any way possible, to allow him to make plays. If Jackson (who is more similar to Richie Williams in terms of style and talent than any other recent ASU QB) can get the ball to Quick, he would be the guy to put in the lineup. But more plays need to be called for Quick and the OLine has to grow up and do a better job if the Mountaineer offense is going to reach its normal effectiveness.